Car Seat Sensors Scan Your Butt To Protect Vehicle From Theft

Some backsides are already alarming, but if new anti-theft technology takes off, the wrong rear really could set off alarms. Researchers in Japan have come up with a car seat that scans a driver’s posterior to verify identity before a car starts.

The Daily cites work by Japan’s Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology who came up with the butt fingerprinting system. They say the method is less intrusive than other forms of identity scanning, and you can even keep your pants on while it works. Bonus!

It works by way of 350 sensors in the seat that carefully note the shape, size, weight and other factors to distinguish that yes, that tush is really yours. Researchers say it’s 98% accurate.

Ostensibly there should be some way to reset the system for a new owner or a diet gone wrong — or right — so alarms aren’t set off needlessly. The hope is these sits will hit the market in cars in the next few years, so keep your eyes peeled and your backsides ready.

The Can Scan: Anti-theft device knows who’s “behind” the wheel [The Daily]

Comments

1. kataisa says:

*eye roll*

Only in Japan

2. George4478 says:

>>you can even keep your pants on while it works.

But I probably wouldn’t.

/Don’t judge me!!

3. Pella says:

And if you lend your car to a friend or family member?

I’m interested to see how the programming for such a thing works. Surely you can’t program it to recognize just one single rear.

4. caradrake says:

This seems like it’d be a huge hassle if you want to utilize a valet, or if you and a spouse (or friend) routinely switch the driving duties, etc. Or any mechanics/oil change joints. Unless there is a very easy way to deactivate the feature (since I don’t think it’d really work out to require the oil guy to get his rear programmed into your car).

5. smo0 says:

Butt scan… images sent to “undisclosed location.”

LAWL

6. Amp says:

“No, officer, you see, I was wearing thick corduroy pants today, and my car wasn’t detecting my butt properly. So I had to take them off and, wait, where are you taking me!”

7. Snowblind says:

Oh, I can hear the chime now, replacing that damned Lexus one:

“I like big butts and I can not lie…”

8. sjb says:

Several comments in one post:

1) Sounds like it could be a pain in the …

2) needs a feed back system.

3) Lets you know if your booty is getting a bit over the limits

9. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

No thanks. The last thing I need is some carjacker cutting off my ass so he can steal my car. Take the wallet and my keys, but leave my ass alone.

10. HomerSimpson says:

“Ewwwww what’s that smell?!?!?”

11. 2 Replies says:

I’d just be happy if they’d stop confusing my 15 pound backpack in the passenger seat for an unbuckled person. X-[

12. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

They better hope Mama Sly and the Family Stallone don’t hear about this, and threaten to sue. She has a monopoly on Rumpology.

13. The Lone Gunman says:

New for 2012–the TSA Groper-Seat!

Japanese tenticular scanning technology meets the Best of the West security system to give you that peace-of-ass comfort that only YOU can enjoy your fly ride!!

SO—get your posterior down to your local Dealer today and get measured and caressed by our TSA-trained experienced professionals TODAY!!!!

14. Not Given says:

I think my 2001 car might have some seat sensor. I tried to run the engine and heater while I waited in the house because it was so cold. I used the extra key to start it so I would still have the fob to unlock the door, again. As soon as I locked and shut the door it unlocked itself. I also tried locking it with the fob but it unlocked itself again.

15. SilverBlade2k says:

wouldn’t fingerprint scanners built into the steering wheel be easier?

16. shepd says:

Sounds like Chindogu to me.

17. RStormgull says:

Meanwhile, in Japan:
    Ichi) “It’s finally working! The buttprint car theft prevention system!”
    Ni) “Call it by its real name!”
    Ichi) “God, do I HAVE to? Ugh, fine. The Pantyshot Engine Starter is done, yay.”
    Ni) “Yes! I have designed the system only to work on the asses of Japanese schoolgirls wearing the traditional saifuku”
    Ichi) “Ni… You’re a genius. A complete pervert freaky-freak, but a genius. So I can get in on the transmitted pictures too, right?”