3 Steps To A Financially Successful 2012

longroad

(ash)

If you’ve decided 2012 will be the year you get your finances in order, you’ll need to take concrete steps toward making that goal a reality. It takes sound, consistent choices to chug along in the right direction.

Frugal Beautiful offers three tips to get you off to a proper start:

* Cut out the excess. Focusing on money takes time and energy, so it helps to do away with unproductive hobbies and habits. You’ll also need to take the time to develop a coherent, realistic budget that will serve as your map to success.

* Don’t stick your head in the sand when you fail. Realize that you’re going to screw up at some point, but the setback doesn’t have to send you into a tailspin. When you blow your budget or make a poor investment choice, it’s easy to give up and proceed as though there’s nothing wrong. It’s tougher to make yourself aware of your choices and their consequences, then resume the discipline it takes to claw out of your hole.

* Do things differently. If you don’t like where your past choices and practices have brought you, shake things up. Consider financial moves that are out of your comfort zone, then study up and make your play. Find someone in your life who seems to have things together, then emulate that person and ask for coaching along the way.

3 Fast Track Tips To Get Your Finances Straight This Year [Frugal Beautiful]

Comments

1. Bsamm09 says:

So it’s this now:

1) Cut out the excess.
    2) Don’t stick your head in the sand when you fail.
    3) Do things differently.
    4) ?????
    5) Profit

Those damn gnomes had it all wrong.

2. MonkeyMonk says:

I’m not familiar with Frugal Beautiful so I can’t comment if these tips are indicative of their whole site but this “advice” is so generic and simpleminded to be worthless. I’m surprised they didn’t throw in the golden chestnut of “spend less than you earn” while they were at it.

In general I find the quality of personal finance advice on Internet blogs to be pretty dire. Lots and lots of people posting either iffy or lame commentary with their only claim to being a personal finance “expert” is that they once went into debt.

• TuxthePenguin says:

Exactly. And anyone who says anything other than “spend less than you make” seem to be trying to sell you something. That’s all the base financial advise you need. When you have enough cash to cover six months of expenses and are fully funding your 401k/IRA, then get into the more complicated stuff.

• Hi_Hello says:

more complicated stuff?? DAng it!!

• Cor Aquilonis says:

I like to add to the “spend less than you make” by saying “spend less than you make now and plan for doing the same in the future.” Because financial planning takes a little thinking ahead.

3. Hi_Hello says:

1 step process:

Do not spend more than you make.

• dush says:

But what if I want to buy something that costs more money than I have? Should I still buy it?

• wrjohnston91283 says:

Well, if you really want it, then duh, you can buy it. But only if you REALLY want it. If it’s just an “eh, it would be nice to have”, watch a few more commercials and then let the wanting age until it’s real.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

No. It’s all explained in my book “Do Not Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford.” It’s only one page long. The advice is priceless and the book is free.

So get out of debt now, write for your free copy of “Don’t Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford.” If you buy now you’ll also receive, “Seriously, If You Don’t Have the Money, Don’t Buy It!” Along with a 12-month subscription to “Stop Buying Stuff Magazine.” So order today!

• TasteyCat says:

What if you work in government?

4. TheMansfieldMauler says:

it helps to do away with unproductive hobbies

Aren’t all hobbies unproductive? That’s kind of the point of a hobby, isn’t it? To spend time doing something you like to do?

Throw away those stupid model trains! They’re costing you money. You could spend that time working at a third job!

5. sponica says:

i’m pretty sure the only thing standing between financial success and me is my prolonged unemployment….

despite asking Santa Claus nicely, he did not get me a new job this year….

6. smo0 says:

February is bankruptcy month – starting from a clean slate… no 7 years of compiling medical bills anymore! YAY

7. BennieHannah says:

Here’s the one I tell my (unmarried, young adult) children: Don’t get pregnant and don’t get anyone pregnant. If you’re only responsible for your own upkeep, you have a much better chance at this point in your life to make a success of things. Sure unemployment and underemployment sucks, now imagine that with a baby or child support payments. (I do want grandchildren eventually, but for now I’m happy to spoil grandpuppies and grandkitties.)

8. waicool says: