Report: Two New iPad Models Will Be Unveiled In January

The buzz over the next Apple product usually starts about 24 hours after the newest toy is introduced, so devotees might be happy to hear that two new iPad models could be announced as soon as January 26, 2012.

The current iPad 2 will be left to do the job of competing with the Amazon Fire at a price level, while the additions will target the mid-range and high-end tablet market, says DigiTimes, citing sources at Apple’s supply chain partners.

Instead of the previously-rumored 7.85-inch, the upcoming iPad models will still feature 9.7-inch screens but come with QXGA resolution (1,536×2,048 pixels), the sources indicated. Dual-LED light bars are designed for the new iPads to strengthen the brightness of the panels, the sources added.

Samsung will manufacture quad-core A6 processors for Apple, instead of the dual-core A5 used in the current iPad 2.

Start lining up now, if that’s your thing.

Apple to unveil two versions of next-generation iPad in January, sources claim [Digitimes]

Comments

1. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Excellent, AppleTards have a reason to live through a portion of 2012. That and the hunt for the Saint Jobs Reliquary continues.

• axhandler1 says:

I can totally see his tomb being looted by Apple fanatics.

• ugly says:

Zealotry is totally my favourite part of all of the Apple posts. It’s amazingly consistent too.

This is no exception, the only blind followers posting are the apple haters. a quick snapshot of the first 19 posts includes 8 Cult of the Anti Apple follower posts, 4 about how people miss Ben, and one or two about prior iPad purchases.

Interestingly, zero comments about the content of the article!

Seriously though, for all I hear about the “Cult of Apple” they sure seem a lot quieter than the crowd that thinks it’s cooler to hate what other people like than to appreciate what makes their own lives better.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Well we might comment on the article if the article was actually linked. Jus’ sayin…

• MMD says:

Doubtful. You’ve already revealed a knee-jerk anti-Apple bias and the smug sense of superiority that stance gives you. The flip side of an Apple fanboy is an irrational Apple hater.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

It’s because they’re all standing in line outside an Apple store in anticipation. Duh!

• Costner says:

A website devoted to educating consumers so they make wise decisions with their spending dollar is not exactly a Apple Fanatic hangout. The terms “Apple” and “Value” don’t really trend together very well.

Now if you head to a website like Gizmodo or Reddit you might tend to see a lot more fanboyism.

• jeni1122 says:

Really? Quieter? How many Apple rumor sites are their that talk about nothing other the most tedious obsessive details regarding Apple products? I can think of at least 12 off the top of my head. How many other Apple sites are their that talk about the Apple rumor sites? Quite a few.

I own and sell both PC and Apple products, and I have to say I hear a lot more snarky comments from the Apple people than the PC people.

2. bubbledumpster says:

Wrong link.

3. Cat says:

Well, I must run right out and buy one. F*ck the kids and their incessant whiny “Wah, we’re hungry, daddy!”.

4. goldenargo85 says:

LOL link is wrong.. interns running the posts over the holidays?

5. KTrenholm says:

Hmm.
    Sell boatloads of ipad 2s over holiday season.
    Announce new one a month later.

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Too late, Apple. I bought my Mac-loving fiance a Kindle Fire, and we can only afford one tablet.

• cara says:

Got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, and I’m not going for an iPad either. Too big for me anyways.

• ugly says:

I own both I already had an iPad version 1, I didn’t see enough of a reason to go to Version 2 when it came out.

The Kindle got me because I had a gift card for just over half the price and I wanted to see what it could do. It’s amazingly good and I think well worth the $200 if you want a cheaper tablet.

If I was starting from scratch I’d only have the iPad, the key difference for me is the apps, and the iOS ecosystem has been around so much longer that it’s got a much better selection, and much higher quality applications. This will change over time so Apple has to do something to stay ahead of the pack.

Once you hit the $500+ price point the hardware is all very similar so as to be irrelevant in difference, the key differentiators are the applications and supporting environment (how you transfer apps, load stuff on to it, backs up, get content like movies/music) The Fire doesn’t hold it’s own against any of the higher end tablets, but it’s not supposed to and is terrific for what it’s meant to do. Make sure you check out the FaotD (Free App of the Day) at the Amazon store, some really good stuff comes through.

• Shrew2u says:

I have one of both (bought myself the iPad2 a few months ago, bought the Fire – aka “MrShrew2u’s 6th Kindle” – for my husband this Christmas). He loves the Fire for what it is (great for book reading), I like the iPad for what it is (85% laptop replacement; I only break out my laptop when I have to work on a Word or Excel document from home). With the new iPads coming out, I’ll probably get one for my eldest, then snag her iPod and get the screen on my iPod replaced, otter box them and give them to the toddlers.

No, we are not Apple fanbois, we just like gadgets and these are the gadgets we like right now.

7. Bodger says:

How many days until the true believers are queued outside the nearest Apple Shrine slavering to buy whatever new is on offer? You have to know these things to avoid the inevitable congestion the glassy-eyed addicts cause…

8. Jack T Ripper says:

That cartoon was never more true…

• mikedt says:

That’s true about any piece of software or electronic gadget. A new version is right around the corner and it will be better/faster/cheaper than the one you just bought. At a certain point you just have to jump on the train.

• IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

i still don’t see the reason to buy an ipad, its too expensive to be an ereader and provides none of the benefits of an actual computer so why bother?

9. trailerpark1976 says:

Awe crap! I just bought one as a gift! I hope i can get the difference refunded.

10. katarzyna says:

Hm. I was going to buy my niece a Kindle Fire, but if the iPad2 is priced low enough, I might consider getting one of those for her instead.

• Cat says:

My sister and her husband were going to buy their 2 kids a laptop. The girl wanted an iPad, so they told her, fine, we’ll contribute the price of the laptop, and you pay the rest.

She wishes she got the laptop.

• katarzyna says:

I suppose that depends on what you want to do with it. My niece is 7, and the tablet, whichever one I get, will be basically a toy. If she needs a computer for school, her parents can get her a laptop.

• IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

that’s quite an expensive toy there, i guess she already has a maxed out college savings account..

• Outrun1986 says:

The iPad will be outdated in a few months, we know a new iPad is coming out at least before April at the very latest, the laptop will last much longer and is still useful even after a few years if the kid doesn’t break it, and probably costs a lot less.

It does depend a lot on what you want to do with it, but I think the laptop would be a lot more useful for a kid especially with school work, the iPad is basically a very expensive toy that becomes outdated quickly.

I recently got the chance to play with an iPad, and its pretty cool if you have a lot of disposable income. But the cool stuff like being able to watch TV on it and netflix that you can’t do well on a PC or laptop will also come with additional subscription fees. Also the headphone jack on the iPad was ruined, and netflix did nothing but crash when I searched on it, the app was also updated so that was not the problem and I had the other background apps closed too Though I was impressed with some video sites that I thought for sure wouldn’t work, actually did work.

This iPad was only used by an adult who does not have kids but this person was attaching a stylus to the headphone jack. I think that is a pretty bad idea and what ruined the headphone jack, don’t do that if you want to keep your headphone jack working..

11. flyingember says:

crap rumor

12. Dallas_shopper says:

No wonder MicroCenter is blowing up my inbox with offers for a 16GB 3G iPad2 for $579 instead of $629. Kind of figured they were trying to clear out old stock; Apple NEVER cuts prices unless they’re about to release something new, right?

• Darury says:

To be fair, I’ve been getting the $50 off iPad emails for months now. But since I keep getting various crisis issues popping up, my expendable income hasn’t been able to get me one. So now I’ll wait for iPad 3 or whatever.

13. tinmanx says:

Errr, I already have too many tablets. I’ll pass.

14. smo0 says:

Wait so samsung is manufacturing parts of the iPad?

Weren’t they sued by Apple?

Nothing like the “can’t beat’m, join’m” mantra.

15. jp7570-1 says:

Love or hate Apple, it is hard to argue how they control media coverage of their new products. Releases of new items are spaced so that it gives Apple a pretty constant revenue stream. In 2012, the iPad 3 will likely be released in February (on what would have been Jobs’ birthday). The next generation iPhone will probably be out sometime in Q3 2012 – previous iPhone releases have been in Q2. You can expect other releases in-between to make sure there is always some “buzz” about the next new shiny flashy thingy. Apple’s new flat-screen TV – if it turns out to be real – may be their most-hyped product yet.

Apple does one other things that does make business sense – their product line is very focused and streamlined. There is only 1 phone (not counting previous generations), 1 tablet line, etc. Dell, Samsung, Motorola, and others inundate us with dozens of new products with forgettable names, all of which seem to have similar functions and specifications.

16. suburbancowboy says:

2 models. a black one and a white one. Apple is the only company in the world that gets news coverage and people foaming at the mouth when they release a product in a different color.