Read The Fine Print Before Taking A Great Gadget Deal

Carolyn bought a Sony Blu-ray player for her husband for Christmas. The player’s box boasted of its streaming capabilities, but to use them, she would need to purchase a separate wireless adapter. No problem – she picked up an inexpensive one at the store and gave that to her husband as well. She missed one detail: the only compatible adapter must be ordered directly from Sony, and costs $75. Sometimes, great holiday season electronics deals aren’t what they seem at first glance.

I thought I would share my story about my Sony Blu-ray player that I purchased for my husband this Christmas. I am attaching a photo of the box the player came in, you can clearly see that a wireless LAN adapter is needed ( although in very tiny lettering). In fact the entire box is plastered with hulu, netflix, you tube, etc. icons that its awesome wi-fi capabilities will soon bring into my home. I purchased the Blu-ray player and a Netgear 300 mbps adapter for $35, wrapped both and put them under the tree. After setting up said Blu-ray, and setting up the adapter we find that the adapter is not being detected by the player?

bluray.jpg

I contact Sony to see what is going on, turns out you can ONLY use Sony brand adapters with this blu-ray player, and you cannot wire it directly. This is news to me, since they did not even sell Sony brand adapters at the retailer I purchased the Blu-ray from, or even their online site. Also, turns out the Sony brand is around $75, plus s/h, since it can only be ordered online (hmmm). I feel this should have been printed on the box, since now I am stuck with restocking fees, for both items if I choose to return them for a different brand, cheaper wi-fi built in player.

Just thought I would share my frustrations and my story to warn some other readers that some of these holiday blu-ray deals are just too good to be true.

Comments

1. MutantMonkey says:

A good rule of thumb when buying any Sony product is to always assume you will need to buy an additional, proprietary piece of hardware.

• NumberSix says:

Yep. She must be new to Sony products.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I was looking at cameras and avoided Sony because I thought they still used their proprietary storage. Well, I eventually caved and started researching Sony because some of the cameras had the features I wanted and behold! Sony cameras use regular SD cards!

• shepd says:

Must be a new thing! Mother-in-law got a Sony camera as a gift last year’s Christmas (Wasn’t from me! I swear!) and it took Memory Stick, which meant she couldn’t use it until the stores opened and she paid penance to Sony.

• vivalakellye says:

Pretty much all major camera manufacturers, except Olympus, use SD card readers. This has been the case for at least the past five years.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yeah, I haven’t actually needed to buy a new camera for about 5 years, so it was kind of news to me.

• NotEd says:

It depends on the Sony camera model. Some still use Memort Stick while some use SD cards. As I recall some of their models supported both while they were adding SD support to their products.

Frankly the best addon I ever found was a converter that you could plug a micro or mini-SD card into to convert it to Memory Stick. I even saw a couple models that supported to SD cards to double your storage

• Jevia says:

But beware Sony camcorders that only use Sony mini-discs, and which have notorious problems half-way through use, or at least mine always did. If I didn’t ‘hard save’ the video-movies after only using half the disc (meaning I couldn’t add any more new videos to it), inevitably the camera would tell me the disc was “dirty” and I’d end up losing all the videos previously ‘soft-saved.’

Lost quite a few videos before I figured out the amount of ‘real time’ i had on disc before it would go bad. I eventually just got a new camera (hello Canon). I’m not buying Sony again.

• longfeltwant says:

Indeed. My good rule of thumb is to not do business with Sony. I don’t own any Sony disc players, or laptops, or Playstations, or other consumer electronics. I don’t own a Sony TV and avoided Sony when I last bought a TV. I don’t buy new CDs from musicians signed under a Sony contract.

For me, it was the Rootkit Fiasco which put Sony on my Permanent Irrevocable Shit List (PISL), but there is so much other terrible behavior from that company, such as in this story, that no consumer should waste their time with anything bearing a warning label reading “SONY”.

• Dave B. says:

A better rule of thumb when buying Sony products is to not buy Sony products.

• balderdashed says:

I’m no fan of Sony either, but a number of Samsung and LG blu-ray players are also wi-fi “ready” and require their own proprietary dongle, which costs nearly what the blu-ray player does. But then, I’m also no fan of people who don’t do their homework, and later lament that a deal that seemed “too good to be true” was just that. There’s no reason to buy a wifi-ready model unless you don’t plan to use wifi — or own stock in Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. These days, players with built-in wifi typically cost only a few bucks more.

2. Cat says:

Yea, they’ve been pulling this stunt for some time now, and it’s a dirty trick. Consumer beware.

Wireless “READY” ‚↠“wireless ready”.

Buy a Blu-Ray player for Blu-rays and DVD. Buy a TV that is just a TV, and hook it to your Blu-Ray. Buy a dedicated internet streaming device to watch internet video on your TV. If any one of them stops working or becomes obsolete, you don’t have to replace EVERYTHING, just the failed/obsolete component.

// also, more reason to hate Sony.

• KG says:

It’s not just Sony, Samsung and LG and Panasonic all sell their own WiFi adapter for their “Wireless ready” devices.

• Cat says:

I guess I should have included the names of these manufacturers in the “they” I referred to in my first sentence. Re-reading it, it does appear that ALL my hate is directed at Sony.

But I have many other reasons to dislike Sony. And Samsung.

• longfeltwant says:

It’s fair to sell your own version of something standard but it’s not fair to tie your standard components to one another artificially. What I mean is, if you are implementing a standard widget, then it is not fair to add on a special chip or code which excludes all the other standard widgets from other manufacturers.

That is why, after two decades as their customer, I stopped buying Apple products a couple years ago. I love the products, but no, there is no reason I need $50 Apple-branded video cables instead of $1 standard cables.

• Stevea1210 says:

My 55″ 3d LG came with the wireless adapter. Didn’t need to make a separate purchase.

• kujospam says:

Yeah, you have to do research before you buy a blue-ray player. If you didn’t research and just impulse bought it, I don’t really feel sorry for you. This has been this way for at least 2 years. I have a sony blueray that gets everything wirelesses and the wireless was with it. I love it. I although I happen to have a ps3 connected to the same TV, so I don’t really use it anymore.

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

This is why you really have to do all of your research online first. I wanted to get my grandparents a blu-ray player with wi-fi for streaming old TV shows but their router isn’t near the TV and I had to look up how to connect a blu-ray player to the TV without moving the router. Within 10 minutes of looking I realized that there weren’t very many wi-fi blu-ray players available and all of them required wireless adapters in order to pick up a wi-fi signal if you couldn’t connect them directly to the router. And yeah, nearly all of them required an adapter from the same company.

• Geotis says:

That’s why I got a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player when I did. I know it had everything I wanted because it was popular and I had friends that had one that I can experience first-hand. Take what you can from that.

• Shrew2u says:

Earlier this year, I replaced an older TV and DVD player in our bedroom, and I simply picked out one of each that seemed to fit our needs(wants, really). Both were manufactured by Insignia, and the Blu-Ray DVD player had built-in wireless Internet capability. If I had chosen a DVD player that needed an additional piece of equipment to work wirelessly and there wasn’t language explicitly stating that on the package, that merch would be back on the shelf, restocking fee paid and the manufacturer would have lost a customer for life.

(I did read reviews of various products online before selecting the item and model, though, so hopefully I would have caught the “extra equipment” BS before purchasing.)

4. Firevine says:

See, now we’re asking consumers to study a product and be educated on what they are buying, and every time I have a customer that bought a Lexmark printer “because it was a great deal” I am reminded that it will NEVER HAPPEN. Printers that are “good deals” don’t take $160 worth of cartridges. http://www1.lexmark.com/CA/en/view/Ink/Toner%20&%20Supplies/150XLA-Cyan-High-Yield-Ink-Cartridge/catId=cat310019-category&prodId=CA6919-product;jsessionid=630AC029FE4C48681765630655F62831.site_node5

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

I can’t blame the OP at all in this case. She studied the box the blu-ray player came with. It said it required a USB Wireless LAN adapter. She purchased a netgear adapter as a result. Lo and behold, it isn’t a “USB Wireless LAN adapter” that’s required as advertised, it’s a “Sony brand wireless LAN adapter” that’s required.

There is absolutely no reason to make it require proprietary hardware if it’s using the USB connection format. What Sony is doing is disgusting.

• shepd says:

Unfortunately, unlike certain USB devices that actually have a standard (Like HID devices) wireless devices each have their own special horrible driver.

That being said, it’s not an excuse for the box not saying “Requires Sony USB wireless adapter, part #327XCY6, not included” rather than “Requires USB wireless adapter, not included”.

• regis-s says:

Just because there’s no set standard doesn’t mean they can’t use a popular one. I pulled the wireless card out of my generic unbranded desktop and replaced it with a $30 Netgear wireless usb dongle. It works fine. No reason dvd manufacturers can’t do the same.

Other than a money grab there’s no reason they have to cost upwards of $100 either.

• shepd says:

It’s true, but there’s a lot of factors that make it difficult. When you’re dealing with embedded stuff like this, chances are there’s a limited set of chipsets that have drivers pre-written for the microcontroller you’re working with. You’ve also got memory constraints (less so nowadays) so you end up selecting just one. The company probably tells you to select a chipset on a wireless device they already use, too. And there you go.

Worse, it’s not all that uncommon to use non-generic USB IDs for stuff. You program the controller to only recognize the one USB ID so that plugging in the wrong thing doesn’t crash the thing. And there you go…

No excuse for the wireless adapter to cost so much, though. Hell, no excuse not to just build the thing in, they’re not expensive enough to be worth NOT including!

• KG says:

“See, now we’re asking consumers to study a product and be educated on what they are buying”

Are you saying people shouldn’t know anything about what they are buying?

• Firevine says:

I a) Forgot the /s, and b) Left out the “and we can’t have that, can we?” Fail on my part. Guess that’s what happens when I post at work and have constant distractions, haha.

• Firevine says:

5. Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

I make it a point not to buy anything sony due to just this silly issue with proprietary additional hardware that is required to even use their stuff.

• Firevine says:

The only reason Sony knowingly gets any of my money is because I still play EverQuest. I actively avoid them as much as possible. They are one of the many, many large companies that need to curl up and die.

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

I played EQ back in the day (Started at classic, left at omens of war). That was actually the start of my hatred of them. I loved the original trilogy under Verant, then Sony took over and luclin was horrible. My hatred festered until planes of power… Once planes of power came out, I forgave them and all was well. Best expansion in the game. But then my hate began to grow with the new expansions, and I couldn’t take it any longer with omens of war.

But the starting areas of gates of discord (The group trials to unlock the raid areas, as well as the incredibly fun collections and events in KT to unlock yxxta) were, again, some of the most fun I’ve had in the game I must admit. The rest of it was terrible.

God I need to stop thinking about old everquest, I’m getting too nostalgic for my old guild.

6. Dr. Shrinker says:

Samsung does the same thing. Their adapter put me out about $75, even though I had a couple of USB wi-fi adapters already sitting around the house. Just like Sony, they don’t tell you that tidbit until after you’ve opened the package!

• JoeDawson says:

I had the same issue with my Panasonic TV, fortunately i tested a wifi adapter I already had first. It has an ethernet port if i decide to run a line to it, but i have a PS3 so will just use that for now,.

• msbask says:

I just had the same issue with a new Samsung BluRay player. I got the adapter on Amazon, and I think I paid $28.

• Floobtronics says:

Nonsense. It says so right on the box. It says right there, “USB Wireless LAN adapter required”. That tells me I need something else.

On the Samsung side, same thing goes. I’ve seen the boxes in Best Buy. Says right on the box that you need a USB Wireless LAN adapter.

• longfeltwant says:

Um, no. That statement specifically implies that any USB wireless adapter will work. The whole point of this article is that not any USB wireless adapter will work, only a Sony one will work. The box needs to read “WIRELESS CAPABLE ONLY WITH SONY-BRANDED USB ADAPTER, SOLD SEPARATELY”.

• LanMan04 says:

Worse than that, the ONLY way to get it on your network is with a wireless adapter. The OP said you can’t even wire the thing directly. What, no ethernet port? WTF is up with that?

• balderdashed says:

Sadly, streaming devices with wifi — but no Ethernet port — are becoming increasingly common. Roku used to include Ethernet on all their streaming boxes, but of the four models in the latest generation, only the one, most expensive version has an Ethernet port. That’s unfortunate, because if you have the option for a wired connection, it’s likely to be far more reliable.

7. racordes says:

Same thing withToshiba and a few others I looked at.. I think all these companies are doing this with their low end Blu Ray players.

8. Guppy06 says:

“Carolyn bought a Sony”

I think I found the problem!

9. Corinthos says:

I got rid of my old tivo because they wanted so much for the adapter. I bought another third party adapter but had trouble with it working.You know if it wasn’t for that I probably still would have been with tivo and paying their monthly fee.

10. KG says:

Having worked at Future Shop for a long time, I can tell you how confusing this can be, both for staff and customers. Sony aren’t the only guilty party here, as LG, Samsung etc all use the same language and sell their own overpriced WiFi dongle.

Basically, any form of Wireless “READY” means no wireless, but it can be added it on for a small fortune.

11. flyingember says:

someone must have missed the whole freemium process that’s been happening for over a decade

hook someone with a cheap or free basic option and then charge for the extras

12. DanKelley98 says:

Sony kinda sucks. Just an opinion.

• longfeltwant says:

It’s only an opinion if you can find someone who disagrees with it. What I’m saying is, Sony sucks, and that is a universally held truth.

13. PunditGuy says:

I can’t tell what model that is. Is there no Ethernet port on it?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Most of them do, but if your router isn’t anywhere near the TV, you need the wireless adapter so it can pick up the signal.

• PunditGuy says:

I just helped my brother take care of this today. Wireless access point + cheap 5-port hub = all of your living room devices with an Ethernet port can hook up to the Internet. Cost just a shade over $50, but I’ve done this before for $35 using cheaper parts.

Put the access point in client mode — or, better yet, find a friend like me who knows something about networking and offer him/her a beer to set you up.

• scoosdad says:

Sometimes powerline ethernet adapters will work for this, but personally I had lousy luck with them and the speed was pretty poor when it did work.

Typically most homes or apartments are wired with two electrical phases; each can give you 120 volts by themselves, and together they provide 240 for stoves and clothes dryers. It’s almost at random how the outlets in a house are wired, so you may have outlets on one side of a room on one phase, and on the opposite phase on the other if they’re wired to different fuses or breakers at the panel. If the powerline transmitter and receiver end up on different electrical phases in the house, the signal has a tough time coupling from one phase to another, and that’s the problem I had. (This is also the primary reason why those “X10″ powerline light switch dimmers and controllers perform so poorly out of the box unless you also install hardware in the breaker panel to cross-couple the signals.)

Instead I laid a long temporary CAT6 cable around the living room from my ethernet router to the TV, and put an 8 port switch there. I’m in the process of burying the cable in the wall this week through the garage below me.

• viriiman says:

Another option is to buy a wireless bridge. Or turn an old linksys router into a wireless bridge with DD-WRT.

14. wanpakumono says:

There may be a way to get a cheaper adapter to work, but it requires some research on your end. You need to get the part number for the Sony adapter, and then find out what wireless chipset it has (you don’t really need to understand how the chipset works, just which chipset was used in their wireless adapter). After that, do a search for other wireless adapters that use the same chipset. They will probably be quite a bit cheaper. Buy one of those, plug it in, and it should work just fine. I know it’s a little bit of effort but, to me, if the manufacturer is going to try to pigeon-hole me into having to buy their overpriced adapter, I am going to do everything I can to not give them any more of my money. Good luck.

• temporaryerror says:

You could always use a wireless bridge. The player will see it as a wired LAN connection. It plugs into the LAN port, and you set it up for your wifi network via PC before hand.

• wanpakumono says:

I thought that it had been mentioned there was no ethernet connection on the player. Otherwise, that would work although you would probably end up spending more than $80 to do this.

• Floobtronics says:

Get the D-Link one for $65 on Amazon. It’s an 802.11n bridge. Think access point in reverse. The radio connects to your WLAN and presents a small LAN switch for use in your entertainment center.

This is very useful, especially with more and more devices able to be networked. How many things can be networked in a garden variety entertainment center? BD Player, TV, DVR, Game Console, AppleTV/Roku.

Spend $65 once instead of buying $75 WLAN adapters for the TV, BD Player and other stuff.

15. Outrun1986 says:

Yes I noticed this when I was looking at Blu Ray players, they do not have Wifi built in, but they say Wifi ready on the box. Now I assumed when I read this story that you could connect this player via ethernet cable but the OP says you cannot. This is extra scammy. The box does say adapter required but it does not say that a Sony adapter is required.

With the price of built-in Wifi blu ray players being equal to the price of the Playstation 3 around black friday it would have been cheaper for me to just buy a PS3 had I wanted blu ray plus I would get the added bonus of being able to play games on it and surf the web on it, and all the other added bonuses of having a PS3. Then I could ensure that my player would always be able to be updated for the latest disks.

The PS3 will probably be dirt cheap next Xmas, since it was already down to $199 or something this BF so I will just wait till then to pick it up. The PS3 has built in Wifi. I also only have 2 HDMI ports on my TV so they must be used wisely. A blu ray play with Wifi built in was around the same price, and one that requires a separate Wifi adapter made only by the blu ray player maker would cost about the same as the above 2 options or even more.

16. Rusty Stanberry says:

and this is why I got the Samsung…

• msbask says:

I bought a Samsung, and I had to buy a Samsung wireless dongle-thingy. A very specific Samsung wireless dongle-thingy. Luckily, I only paid about $28 on Amazon and it works great. I was just pissed that I didn’t realize I need one when I bought the BluRay.

17. regis-s says:

I must be confused with all this wireless “capable/ready” stuff. I thought ready meant it was good to go out of the box. While capable meant you’d probably have to buy additional equipment.

I’ve been looking for a blu-ray player for my bedroom. It seems like the easiest thing to do is just buy an unbundled PS3.

From what I’ve seen any half decent blu ray player with wi-fi is going to cost almost as much.

18. shepd says:

Yikes! If you can’t wire it directly, that Blu-Ray player is destined to be a brick. They’ve already bricked Blu-Ray players once in the past with an upgrade that less-awesome players wouldn’t be able to take. I suppose you might be able to update it via a CD-R or USB drive (crosses fingers!)

Of course, most consumers don’t know about how the Blu-Ray DRM works, so it wouldn’t surprise me if this were news for most people. :-)

19. joe h says:

Bought a cheap insignia bluray during 2010 black friday for $90, I was actually shocked when I opened the box and it had a built in wireless adapter. Way better than the Samsung I bought the year before that bricked after three months, first and only time I actually had to use a manufacturers warranty.

• shepd says:

I’ve found the secret with DVD / Blu-Ray players is to buy the most off-brand one you possibly can. Generally means there’s ways to disable DRM “features”, they tend to read crappier discs, and often have all possible features unlocked. The only drawbacks tend to be ugly menus and sometimes a shorter product life (but the price makes up for it, IMHO).

20. slightlyjaded says:

This qualifies as “too little, too late” kind of advice, but I would advise avoiding WiFi for streaming HD video if at all possible anyway. For most people, you are much better off moving your wireless router next to your TV and running an Ethernet cable to everything that needs a connection there, and using any old cheap WiFi adapter to connect your computer. Where are you going to be streaming high-quality video more, on your TV or your PC? If you’re doing it over WiFi, you are likely going to have issues anyway. I made this swap last year after spending weeks trying to get a decent enough signal to stream Netflix HD content from my xbox, and I’ve never looked back.

• LatinoGeek says:

It depends. I use Wifi (N) to stream netflix and youtube and airplay movies to my appletv in 720p (in many cases). No issues. Granted I live in an area where there are only 4-6 other wifi hotspots within range.

If you live an apartment building with many wifi networks nearby then you might have issues with QOS. But it may still be doable with some tweaking of your Wifi router/wifi device.

21. CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

This has been the case for multiple years for multiple manufacturers. Just because the OP decided not to do her homework is her problem. She probably decided she didn’t need help from the employees either, in case they may know more than she does about that item.

22. crispykickz says:

OP doesn’t know what they have on their hands.
    A little bit of research into Sony’s current blu-ray player line up suggests that the player the OP has is the BDP-S480.
    This player does have an ethernet port, and various images of the back of the device as well as specifications prove this fact.
    In fact, I do not believe there are any blu-ray players (save for early ones) that do not have some sort of wired internet connectivity as BD-Live and other such features require an internet connection.

Anyways, given that the device does have an ethernet port, just do what some of the other commenters have suggested, get a wireless bridge, or get a cheap router that can function in this capacity and plug the blu-ray player into that. The blu-ray player will think its a wired connection, and you get to boost your wireless connection at the same time.

• MrPaulAR says:

A wireless bridge doesn’t boost WIFI signal as it acts as a receiver (just like a computer). If you want to boost the signal you need a repeater.

I’m sure there are some models that are dual function but that’s not what you’re suggesting her to buy.

• crispykickz says:

Boosting the range is an attribute of the “get a cheap router” option I was mentioning (since you’d have to turn the router into a repeater essentially…at least that’s how I’d do it). It was poorly worded on my end though. Thanks for the comment!

• Greg Ohio says:

Another issue with a wireless bridge/gaming adapter is that they’re relatively difficult to configure, since you’re not going to connect them to a computer.

The best solution by far is an ethernet cable!

• soj4life says:

Same thing I did, I repurposed an old wrt54g with dd wrt and got the bridge mode enabled. If someone wants to buy a bridge, best buy has one for $60ish.

23. scorpionamongus says:

You don’t have to have the adapter; you can pick up a wireless bridge for 30 or 40 dollars. The bridge will bring the wireless signal to where you need it, then you can plug it into the ethernet port on the player.

24. Almighty Peanut says:

she can buy a wireless bridge and turn anything with an ethernet port (like the blu ray player) in to a wireless one. you can get them under $50 and most will have 4 or 5 ports built in, so you can put everything else wireless too (if applicable).

• LatinoGeek says:

Instead of 50-60 bucks on a Wireless bridge and a configuration that may or may not work, she may as well just buy the wireless adapter which is known to work.

25. jeni1122 says:

I ran into this on my Samsung Blu-ray player. A lot of newer Blu-ray players just have the wi-fi built in, but the wording on the package is always deceptive. Anytime a package says that it is WLAN ready means that the dongle is probably not included unless it specifically states it is included.

I sell Sony product and I had no idea that they required a proprietary USB dongle. Probably a chip or some sort of encryption located within the Sony dongle that the Blu-ray player checks for when it is plugged in.

I would either try to hard wire, or bridge. Put the wireless adapter that was purchased up on Ebay to avoid restocking fees.

26. kella says:

This isn’t particularly surprising. Every Wifi adapter needs drivers, and blu-ray players don’t exactly run Windows 7. It’s typically a stripped down version of linux or a dedicated embedded OS. Wifi on Linux is still a pain, typically Linux users who plan to use Wifi still have to research which adapter to get ahead of time, and the cheapest ones are rarely supported.

With a stripped down version of Linux, it’s likely that only one chipset is supported, and Sony simply sells a marked-up adapter with that exact chipset. The poster doesn’t specify the model number of this player, but the cheapest player on Sony’s site is $80, and does have an ethernet jack (so it would support a Wireless bridge, also know as a Game Adapter).

FWIW, NewEgg has a Toshiba BD-Player with a hidden price (it’s $75) with built-in Wifi and Netflix support. Assuming you have a digital receiver and an HDTV, there’s no difference in sound or video quality when playing blu-ray discs, no matter what player you use. Don’t bother with the Sony brand-name, they’re pretty low-quality anyway.

• KeithIrwin says:

The real problem is that every wireless device needs its own driver. You can use a single driver for any USB storage device, a single driver for any USB MIDI device, and a single driver for most USB mp3 players. But they never made a standard for network cards, wired or wireless. I really wish that they had because then we wouldn’t have all of these headaches with having to support some particular chipset.

I will also say that there might actually be other wireless USB cards which will work with that player if they’re built roughly the same as the official adapter. There was, for example, a cheap USB wifi adapter which worked with the PS3 despite not being officially supported because it used the same chipset. However, there’s no way to know which one would other than by buying them and trying them, so I don’t recommend doing that.

• Bripanov says:

Linux’s wifi support isn’t that bad anymore as most of the chipsets are supported. If you want bleeding edge you’re going to get cut – usually I’d say buy something no less than 6 months old (which will be discounted anyway).

The problem is figuring out what chipset a device uses. Linksys won’t even tell you – their CSRs have been instructed not to.

27. Bog says:

Take it back. It is clear to the average comnsumer that this would be deceptive labeling.

• soj4life says:

If they don’t understand what the words on the box say. Wifi ready means just that, that it is ready for wifi. Wifi built in means, class, wifi is built in.

28. ap0 says:

When I bought my dad his Blu-Ray player I made sure the WiFi was built-in, not an add-on. It can be pretty easy to fall into these traps.

29. DjDynasty says:

I don’t buy Sony anything because of games they play.

30. jp7570-1 says:

I used to buy Sony products until they started pulling this proprietary hardware nonsense. Years ago when I was looking to buy my first digital camera I consdiered Sony until I saw that it used their proprietary MemoryStick, which was not compatible with anyone else’s hardware – you even needed a special adapter to donwload the card to you PC (if you opted not to connect the camera directly).

Maybe this type of corporate greed is one reason Sony has had faltering sales and profits. Other than Apple, I can’t think of any other major electronics manufacturer that pulls this proprietary nonsense. At least with Apple, there are numerous third-party companies that make compatible hardware that you have some choice. (Plus Sony’s products have lost their edge and are not as well-designed or intuitive as Apple.)

Sony management: Adopt industry standards rather than force your hardware on us!

31. Brontide says:

“MediaRemote” is free…. with advertising that you can’t remove. Thanks SONY!

32. dvdchris says:

“and you cannot wire it directly.”
    This is incorrect. All current Blu-ray players have an ethernet port. It is part of the Blu-ray spec. Your best, most reliable connection will always be a wired one.

33. newmie says:

The funny thing is the Sony bluray with the wireless built in is only about $30 more. I noticed that when I was looking at blurays.

34. soj4life says:

This story really shouldn’t exist when people can research any product on-line. If the OP researched what wifi ready meant she would have bought a wifi built in player. Also she would not have bought a more expensive player because it could do 3d, because really, 3d.

35. LatinoGeek says:

Well, you were warned (albeit, in fineprint but still warned) on the box. It’s pretty well known that not all Blu-ray players have built-in Wireless. You should always do some research before putting money down.

Some units do come w/ the Wireless adapter in the box. (those that do usually mention it somewhere on the box.) And you usually pay more for it.

It’s like “Cable-Ready” TV’s.