Breastfeeding Moms Stage Nurse-Ins At Targets Across Country

Earlier this morning, groups of nursing moms gathered in Target stores around the country to stage “nurse-ins” to protest what they believe is the retail chain’s anti-in-store-breastfeeding stance.

Among the groups staging the nurse-ins were 50 women inside a Houston-area Target. Many of the women involved in today’s protest came out after a local mom claimed she was harassed by store employees while nursing.

“I’ve gotten way more support than I imagined,” that mom told the Houston Chronicle outside of today’s nurse-in. “This is something [new moms] can participate in from their own home, their own town. They don’t have to travel with a brand-new infant. They can go to the Target right up the road and support me.”

And they did just that, with confirmed reports of several other nurse-ins taking place in Florida, Illinois, Maryland and other states. In all, nurse-ins had been planned in 35 different states for this morning.

Houston-area woman organizes breastfeeding flash mob at Target stores [Chron.com]

Comments

1. Cat says:

I am conflicted. I want to press play, but I’m sure I’ll only see ugly moms.

• djhspawn says:

I am conflicted. I want to read comments, but i’m sure i’ll only see stupid comments from people like you.

• Cat says:

My point being, I’ve never read about an attractive woman being harassed for, or seen an attractive woman breastfeeding, in public.

Take that as you will, it’s just my observation.

• taaurrus says:

Unfortunately, you are probably right. An attractive woman probably would not have been harassed for breast feeding her child in public. And if this woman was told by a Target worker that she could not do that – then that is what she was – she was “harassed”. I totally understand what your saying. Djhspawn – everyone is entitled to their own opinion as well as every mother is entitled the right to breastfeed in public.

• Jack T Ripper says:

I’m looking through the constitution and I can’t find where it says every woman has the right to breastfeed in public… Maybe you can help me out with that.

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I do believe that nobody has the right to make others feel uncomfortable. Seriously… If you were on a subway and there was a guy constantly putting his hand down his pants to adjust himself right in front of your kids, wouldn’t you be pretty uncomfortable? It is just as natural of a thing to do as breastfeed. Now, if he were to find a way to adjust himself discreetly so that nobody was offended, would you really care? My point is that nobody should have the right to get right in someone’s face, make eye contact with them, and do something that makes them uncomfortable and continue doing it when it is clear you have succeeded. That is just rude, immature, and just downright stupid.

• Raanne says:

Are you saying that rights can only be conferred by the constitution? According to google Tex. Health Code Ann. § 165.002 (1995) authorizes a woman to breastfeed her child in any location.

• Costner says:

Pretty sure private property is exempt from such laws though, just as the owners of private property don’t need to allow people to protest and can toss them out without violating their first ammendment rights.

Same thing with gun control laws – private property owners can (and often do) enact policies to prevent firearms from being brought onto their property, and such laws are entirely legal. Unless there is specific legislation which bars private owners from taking a specific action (such as banning those of a specific race etc) they can pretty much set their own rules.

That said I have no idea what Target’s stance is on the matter, but I suspect one random employee is responsible as opposed to a corporate policy.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Absolutely incorrect. Texas state law allows for no such exemptions. A woman may breastfeed, in public or in private, in any area where she is legally allowed to be. And, if she is doing nothing other than breastfeeding, she can’t be given a trespass warning or told she has to leave to get around the where she is legally allowed to be part. Texas law is very clear on this.

• MutantMonkey says:

The poster probably got mixed up on personal private property.

You can tell a breastfeeding woman to get off your property, but that is about it.

• Raanne says:

Target does not qualify as private property. It is open for public use.

• dadelus says:

Not to be a jerk, but you are incorrect. There is a difference to “Open to the Public” and “Public property” is owned/rented by Target Corp. and is considered private property.

• dadelus says:

Grrr… submitted mid edit…. Here is the finished version. Please disregard previous post…

Not to be a jerk, but you are incorrect. There is a difference to “Open to the Public” and “Public property” the space is owned/rented by Target Corp. and is considered private property.

• Costner says:

Liam added some explanation surrounding Texas law which seems to suggest there is no exemption for private property, but simply because someone allows the public to enter does not remove most private property rights.

A business can ban someone from entering their store if they choose… most of the time they don’t even need a good reason. You may also recall a couple of years ago a guy was protesting at a state fair and was tossed out – the Internet lawyers said it was unconstitutional but as it turned out the park the fair was held on is private property, so they had the right to toss him out and ban him from reentry.

Breastfeeding appears to be an exception to the rule per Liam’s comment… but in most circumstances private property allows owners to dictate who is and is not allowed on their property and they don’t need to justify their desires.

• zippy says:

The usual way these laws are written are that they give a woman a right to breastfeed a child anywhere that she and the child otherwise have the legal right to be. So if she can’t take the child into, say, a bar, then breastfeeding that same child doesn’t give her the right to do it in the bar because the child can’t legally be there. If the mother and child have the right to be in the store, the store can’t interfere with or ban her from the store for breastfeeding that child. If the mother was previously banned from the store for shoplifting or for other violations of store policy, then breastfeeding the child doesn’t give her the right to come into the store because she’s been banned and has no right to enter.

I usually tried to find a quiet, out of the way place with my babies, but only because they were easily distracted by other people, noise, bright lights, etc., which would have been a problem even with a bottle. But some babies, especially when young, don’t take well to being delayed, and it should be entirely up to the mom where and when she feeds her baby.

• Not Given says:

Forty-five states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed in any public or private location. (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas,
                  California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Many states have laws to protect BF moms, including Texas. It’s that little thing called Federalism where states are allowed to make laws to protect their own citizen’s interest as long as they don’t conflict with the federal constitution.

• NightSteel says:

Raising a constitutional argument about breastfeeding is pretty useless. The 10th Amendment quite explicitly states that the Constitution and its amendments are not an inclusive list of rights, and that all other rights (powers) not specifically addressed are delegated to the states or to the people.

The funny part is, nurse-ins WOULD be protected by the Constitution, as they are protests, and would thus be considered free speech.

• Straspey says:

“While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I do believe that nobody has the right to make others feel uncomfortable.”

That’s a very important statement, and one with which many people may agree.

However – my take on this concept is -

“It’s not my job to take care of your *feelings* or arrange my behavior in such a way is it should coincide with your comfort zone.”

If “nobody has the right to make others feel uncomfortable” – that would mean HYPOTHETICALLY – that…

You do not have the “right” to make me uncomfortable by texting on your cell phone while I’m trying to watch a movie in a public theater.

You do not have the “right” to make me feel uncomfortable by bringing your young children into the restaurant where I’m trying to have a nice, quiet meal.

You do not have the “right” to make me feel uncomfortable by holding hands with your same-sex partner in public, in front of my conservative family.

You can see how slippery the slope can become – and sticking my hand down my pants in the subway is not the same as a mother providing crucial, life-sustaining nutrients to her infant child.

Somebody once said that the definition of being in public is having to tolerate the behavior of other people which you may find distasteful. When I find myself in the presence of somebody who is exhibiting behavior which I personally find distasteful, I take care of myself by moving away – rather than attempting to manipulate the behavior of the other person to fit my comfort.

• Dallas_shopper says:

This. Personally, I don’t like seeing women breastfeeding in public. However, I accept it’s a natural and sometimes necessary thing to do. I’ve never confronted anyone about it; if it’s making me uncomfortable, I remove MYSELF from the situation. I don’t ask them to move or stop; it’s not my place.

• palaver says:

Describing it as “crucial life-sustaining nutrients” makes it sound like that woman had to breastfeed in the middle of her shopping trip or else that baby would have shriveled up and wasted away.

I don’t like the argument that “it’s natural.” Urinating is natural and at some times I’d even call it crucial, yet public urination is illegal. I don’t want to see anyone pissing into a corner in the mall anymore than I want to see a woman (attractive or not) having a nipple sucked at the grocery store.

I don’t necessarily find it offensive but I don’t want to see it either. If I were a mother I would absolutely find a private place instead of whipping it out in the middle of Target. I’m a fan of good old fashioned modesty.

• MMD says:

There are laws that actively give women the right to breast feed. That trumps every argument you could possibly make. You comparison of breast feeding to public urination is, therefore, completely irrelevant.

• Difdi says:

This. There are laws banning public urination. There are laws protecting public breast feeding. Disagree all you like, and if you disagree strongly enough, you’re free to campaign to change the law, and equally free to move somewhere without the law you disagree with. But simply ignoring the law has consequences.

• MMD says:

The “rudeness” is necessary to draw attention to the simple fact that women have a legal right to breast feed. A right that has been denied in this story.

I don’t like tongue piercings.. They squick me out. That doesn’t give me the right to tell someone with a pierced tongue to cover it up. Their personal rights trump my discomfort. The right to breast feed trumps your discomfort End of story.

• IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

so what gives you the right to compalin about me taking a dump in your front yard? ill bring a poopie bag!

• Jayrandom says:

you absolutely have the right to tell them not to get their tongues pierced. You also have the right to say they are stupid or repulsive or even astronauts from Pluto. You just don’t have the right to take out their tongue piercings.

Similarly, people have the right to be offended or upset or angry at public breastfeeding. They even have the right to organize and push for laws that would criminalize any breastfeeding in public. As far as I know they even have the right to give breastfeeding mothers nasty looks and even loudly say rude things about breastfeeding mothers. They just don’t have the right to make the mother stop breastfeeding in public.

For what it’s worth, I think that mothers should be allowed to breast feed in public, but I don’t think it’s some inalienable right like freedom of speech. Using the bathroom is just as natural and certainly more common than breastfeeding, but society has decides that it isn’t allowed in the open.

• MMD says:

Try reading my comment before replying. Or try thinking, because your argument is full of holes. I said I don’t have the right to tell someone to *cover up* their piercings, any more than you have the right to tell someone to cover their breast feeding. It’s a simple analogy. Everything in your reply is irrelevant.

• 180CS says:

Actually, try reading your own comment. “I don’t like tongue piercings.. They squick me out. That doesn’t give me the right to tell someone with a pierced tongue to cover it up.” I congratulate you on your earth-shattering revelation, but freedom of speech and autonomy gives you the right to voice you opinion, about that tongue piercing. Moreover, seeing as Target is private property, Targets Associates & Managers, acting in the best interest of their store, have every right to disallow this. Your home is private property. You can refuse entry to anyone. I’m sure you aren’t too stupid to believe that this differs from a corporations rights over their private property to eject or ban anyone for any reason.

“Their personal rights trump my discomfort.” Yep, you’re right. As private property, Targets personal rights, which will usually be what it feels reflects that of the majority of its patrons, trump personal discomfort – including the breastfeeding mothers. “The right to breast feed trumps your discomfort End of story.” Again, you must have an IQ of a hundred and sixty. Within their own private or public property, they have the right to do this, so long as local ordinances/etc put in place by the popular majority do not disallow this, and those rights do not conflict with federal law/the constitution. Now just show me where federal law states that women have a right to breastfeed in public, and where it says that this right extends to private property not owned by them.

If target wants them gone, they should get off Targets property. They’re blocking the doors, and clogging the parking lots.

• Difdi says:

Private property rights don’t give the property owner the authority to ignore or overturn statutes.

A good example is posting a “no coloreds” sign in the window of your store. This constitutes discrimination against a protected class and is illegal. If an Asian person were to walk in and begin shopping alongside your white customers, your right to kick them out is curtailed by the law saying you can’t do that. Sure, if they start throwing your merchandise on the floor, you could kick them out for that. But not for shopping while Asian.

Many states have laws that proclaim that a mother has a right to breast-feed her children. This makes a nursing mother a protected class under the law, and you’d have no more ability to kick her out of your store, providing she’s obeying the law, than you would have the right to kick out all the Jews. Don’t like it? Campaign to change the law or move to a less enlightened state. Or break the law and suffer the consequences of your criminal act.

• jeni1122 says:

Never really thought about it that way. I think you might be on to something.

• MMD says:

I take it as a commentary on rampant misogyny, both when it comes to the breast feeding issue and in the comments here in general.

• Rainicorn with baby bats says:

I am helpless with laughter now.

• regis-s says:

I know it’s a sexist thing to say. I also realize I’m not God’s gift to women myself as far as looks go. But yeah, I have to agree.

• MutantMonkey says:

It’s like when you go to a nude beach for the first time.

You expect a mass of big breasted models. What you actually get is something completely different that makes you appreciate non-nude beaches.

In any case, feed on ladies! Don’t make those babies wait. The haters are just jealous.

• Jack T Ripper says:
    • RayanneGraff says:

You don’t even have to press play to see ugly moms xD

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

One thing I’ve always wondered: if a teenage mother was breastfeeding in public and I glanced upon it, would I be immediately arrested?

Sounds like an enterprising young lady could do an awful lot of trolling.

• Herah says:

I can’t believe you didn’t reference the Married with Children episode where the neandermoms came into the shoe store to stage a breastfeeding sit-in.

• smo0 says:

Some might recall my bitching about public nursing in not covering while in restaurants….
      however, randomly doing it at a target or another non-eatery where I’m eating… doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

These ladies have my support.

2. BrownLeopard says:

My wife is breastfeeding our daughter but we go to the car and put a blanket over the window to shield her (and the public) from view.

• kayfouroh says:

This is the respectful way to do it. Yes, it’s natural. Yes, it’s a baby. But, no, most people don’t really care for seeing it.

• BrownLeopard says:

Exactly. It’s called having respect. Granted we had one person come up to the car and complain, to which I said “If you don’t like it, don’t look. We’re in our car and you looked through the windshield to see her as you -drove- past.”

• kayfouroh says:

Yeah coming up to the car to complain is a bit much. It’s not in plain sight, it’s not hurting anyone, and it’s not a huge deal. I just don’t get a lot of the hate about breastfeeding in public, within reason.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Wow, doing that in Texas in July, that’s dedication…oh, wait, you probably don’t live in July and weren’t talking about Texas…but hey, leaving aside the fact that they may not want to, or they may take the bus to the store, isn’t that a pretty good example of why other people sometimes may have a really good reason not to do things exactly the way you do, even if they wanted to?

• BrownLeopard says:

Actually it was Christmas Eve in Ohio. Cold weather and whatnot. I read this article and the comments to my wife (who is currently sitting across the room from me feeding our daughter) and she said “Those women really need to get a life. If they took a bus to get to the store to shop they should have planned better. Most babies eat a few hours apart. The fact they went back to the store (for the nurse-in) says they have too much time on their hands.”

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I have much respect for your wife right now. She’s absolutely right.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

So, when people stand up for their right to do something, they have too much time on their hands? I suppose she thinks that about our founding fathers as well? What about women who fought for the vote? Seriously, I hate complacency. People standing up for their legal rights is not a waste of time, and it does not mean they have too much time on their hands. It means that they are dedicating their precious time to stand up for a right, and to preserve it so mothers do not have to be illegally harassed in the future.

• Gertie says:

First baby, right? You two scream “first-time parents” because you always have it figured out.

• MMD says:

You and your wife sound like the most judgmental people on the planet. Also, get your wife’s memory checked. Very young babies nurse far more often than every few hours. Finally, not every baby nurses on the same schedule as yours. Your experiences do not form the basis for a policy – and if they did, that policy would VIOLATE THE LAW.

• impatientgirl says:

There’s always an alternative than just sitting down on the dirty floor in the middle of a busy store. Period.
          There’s pumps, bottles, changing rooms, restrooms, cars with AC or heater…. Seriously pick one. As for it being done in public I don’t have a problem with discreet covered breastfeeding. For all of us parents with younger children who know what a boob is but haven’t had the birds and the bees talk it makes things difficult. Sure adults know what’s happening but try having to explain things on the fly to your 6 year olds. Not. Fun.

• easymacfu says:

My wife breast fed the child in the car all the time during the summer. We live in South Carolina, where not only do we have heat, we have humidity. If only they designed some sort of mechanism to put in cars to combat the heat.

Also, Target has changing rooms. Is it really that hard to walk into a changing room? It has to be easier than walking around nursing a baby.

• taaurrus says:

Well – way to go there! Such good parenting to chose to stick your baby and his mother in a super hot car then have them be more comfortable in a different, but discrete, location that is NOT in a 150 degree car. It’s people like you who are making this an issue. And if you are so against breastfeeding in public – which, by the way, there is NOTHING wrong in doing – then why don’t you bring a bottle for your baby next time. Less he ends up in the er, along with his mother, for heatstroke.

• kayfouroh says:

Heatstroke? Don’t be ridiculous. If you could drive to the Target in that heat, you can sit in the car for 5-10 minutes to breastfeed.

• little stripes says:

Yeah, because 200 degree cars are totally a comfortable place to eat!

Tell ya what. Next summer, go inside a hot car and eat your lunch. Then tell me how fun it is to eat while you’re sweating buckets and can’t breath properly.

I’m also sure a BABY is SO WILLING to properly breast feed while very, very hot. I’m sure they won’t complain and they’ll just eat, instead of crying and refusing to eat because they are so hot.

• kayfouroh says:

Does your car not have air conditioning? If it wasn’t a big deal to use to drive to Target, why is it a big deal to use when breastfeeding in the car?

This argument is just ludicrous.

• kalaratri says:

I wish kiddo only took 5-10 minutes to nurse.

• ajlei says:

It’s discreet. Why is everyone making this mistake?

• FyreGoddess says:

The situation that sparked this whole “nurse-in” was with a mom who was completely covered by a blanket and in a discrete location within the store. She wasn’t just pulling her boob out for everyone to watch the feeding process.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

She was on the floor in the women’s department. That’s hardly a “discrete” (sic) location in the store.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

But it is legal. She has the right to breastfeed in any public or private location in Texas (and 44 other states).

• Liam Kinkaid says:

I never said it wasn’t legal. I just contradicted FyreGoddess’ assertion that she was in a discreet area of the store.

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

Oh you are just all over this story, aren’t you? She was in the women’s jeans section, in a store with a heavily young and female demographic. The jeans department seems to be as good of a place as any because it tends to be well-away from the hard aisles. (In most Target store layouts, not all) Compounded by she was nearly done with her shopping, staying with her cart and baby accoutrements seems to be a fairly decent decision.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

So you’re agreeing with me that, in a women’s jeans section, in “a store with a heavily young and female demographic” would not be a discreet area? I am not arguing the legality of it, because, as has been stated several times (by me in some cases), it is her right to do so. I’m contending that this area that she chose was not discreet, contrary to what FyreGoddess states.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

She doesn’t have to be discreet, so the whole argument doesn’t really matter. She can flop out her tit in full view and let that baby nurse away, in Texas. She did cover herself, but she is under no obligation to do so.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Absolutely she can flop it out for the world to see. I am not arguing that fact. She is not required to choose a discreet area, either…I am not arguing that. My issue is with the statement that she did choose a discreet area when, according to all available information, she did not. Making statements that seem to be pulled out of thin air should not be tolerated.

• ajlei says:

It makes me sad that regardless of how many times you corrected to “discreet”, no one else seems to realize that that is the proper spelling.

• DariusC says:

FAIL. Public Indecency laws trump breastfeeding laws. Laws can be enforced to the strictest degree, not the least restrictive. If you are modest about it and cover up, then yes you can breastfeed, but to suggest that women can rip their tops off and breastfeed down the street, you are wrong. Public Indecency laws will have that woman fined.

• zippy says:

Depends on the state. Almost all states have exceptions in their indecency laws for breastfeeding now, such that breastfeeding a child, even if she flops it all out, can’t be considered indecent.

• Raanne says:

If its anything like my target, the women’s jeans area is pretty hidden. I know nothing about this target, but tucking away in the back of the women’s department against the wall is about as discrete as you could get in the store.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

You may be correct. It hasn’t been my experience, but I haven’t been in every Target, so I can’t say with certainty. However, I doubt that there is any discreet area of the store to sit down on the ground in during the week after Thanksgiving, when Christmas shopping is in full swing.

• Jawaka says:

In most of the Target stores in my area the woman’s clothing dept is right in the front of the store.

• FyreGoddess says:

She sat on the floor in the women’s department, covered by a large baby blanket. She didn’t just sit in the middle of the aisle or in a major pathway. Sitting on the floor in that situation is absolutely discrete.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

So they’re hiding the women’s section of the store now? Or at least portions of it? Funny…every Target I’ve ever been in, including Super Targets, seem to have women’s sections right up front. And, strangely enough, they’re contiguous areas – there’s no portion of the women’s section that’s just off by its lonesome somewhere.

I’m not arguing that it’s not her right to breastfeed in public. It is her right, and I’d defend her for it. What I’m calling into question is her choice to plop down in a heavily trafficked area of the store during the week after Thanksgiving, and feed her baby on a filthy, filthy floor. She could have walked around or sat in a chair. I don’t care if she had a blanket or not, it is just as unhygienic to nurse on the floor as it is in a restroom.

• longfeltwant says:

Any typical restroom is much, much, much cleaner than a typical floor. Think about it. Bathrooms are covered in tile, enamel, and other hard surfaces, which are cleaned with bleach every day. Floors are covered in carpet, where grime is ground into the carpet, and at best is vacuumed each day.

Basically my point is that bathrooms are very, very clean places. Don’t reach into the toilet and you’ll be fine. This advice does not stand for extremely grim, ghastly bathrooms.

• little stripes says:

Try doing that here in Phoenix where temps outside get over to 110 degrees, and temps inside a car can be over 200. Dare you.

• MMD says:

That’s a choice. The law gives women the option to make other choices.

• teamplur says:

You can do whatever you want but WE will not tolerate our rights being violated. And if that means we have to invoke our rights and shove it in peoples faces to protect those rights. then we will. (any civil rights protected by law, not just breastfeeding)

• BrownLeopard says:

…and that includes trampling over my civil rights to shove your opinions in my face?

Come up to me some time and spout your garbage. You’ll be in the hospital and I’ll be in jail.

• BrownLeopard says:

…and I have the right to tell you to get lost.

While you sit and complain about your “civil rights” at your computer, I was out putting out a fire and saving a family. Go do something constructive with your life.

3. Bsamm09 says:

I’m guessing no more comments on the gun article now.

4. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I’ve breastfed all of my children…

Now, in saying that, I would never want to do something in public that makes it uncomfortable for others. Just because I have the right to, doesn’t mean I’m going to do it just to “make a point”. I’ve never breastfed in public, but I would in an absolute pinch with no other options. I would still find as private a spot as I could, and cover everything up.

I understand this lady is upset, but to do this in 35 different states/multiple Target stores is a bit much.

• Cat says:

Mommy?

• backbroken says:

Prove it

• MMD says:

They’re doing it so you don’t have to. You’re welcome.

• IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

she doesn’t have to, she has sufficient intelligence to find an appropriate location for appropriate body functions, think of all the unfortunate circumstances that would have to conspire against you to have to do that in public or the baby will die…

• MMD says:

Laws in most of the nation trump your opinion on this matter.

• Clux_the_Chicken_Penguin_Hybrid says:

I didn’t realize that you’d like to eat YOUR meals or feed your kids THEIR meals in a toilet/WC/restroom/whatever you like to call it. “Hey, kids, bacon is ready. Everyone grab a spot around the crapper!” No. These women shouldn’t have to hide breastfeeding in a bathroom or stuffy car. Breastfeeding is a bodily function, yes, but not a “bodily function.” It’s just babies and boobs. I’m pretty sure neither are grotesque. If you’re a woman, don’t you see boobs every day anyway? And if you’re a man, I would suggest you not impregnate a woman if you find breastfeeding so offensive; I’d also say, get over it, lady-hater. Or are you turned on, and that’s why you’re uncomfortable? Formula might be a modern solution to the general public’s nipple-phobia, but that doesn’t mean moms have to bottle-feed their babies in public to appease the squeamish. As ever, I say that I’m appalled at how the general public seems a-okay with graphic violence (on TV, in video games, in films, etc.) but gets the vapors when a little flesh is shown in even a non-sexual way. Take a deep breath and look away, if you must; I promise that neither the baby nor the boobs will harm you.

• dks64 says:

Just because you can breastfeed, doesn’t mean you should do it anywhere. Using your own logic, should an adult or small child be able to sit in the middle of an aisle on the ground, at Target, and start eating McDonalds? Probably not a good idea. Is this the lady who was on the floor in an aisle when a worker offered her a fitting room, she refused, and the lady just rolled her eyes. A fitting room is cleaner than the floor, it just seems like these women want to make it an issue. I’m all for breastfeeding, but those are aren’t considerate of others get no support or sympathy from me.

• Bob says:

Considering Target is possibly breaking the law is trying to prevent breastfeeding in the stores, this demonstration is warranted. Remember that when it comes to your legal rights it is “use them or lose them”. Lack of exercise of your rights makes your rights atrophy and meaningless.

5. Mamudoon says:

Don’t these women have anything better to do with their time? Like raise their kids?

• MutantMonkey says:

Apparently, while breastfeeding, you can both be a mom and protest… and blog.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Because standing up for your rights and trying to life easier for future breast feeding moms is such a waste of time. If enough women stand up for their right and are activists about it, one day, people will understand that the primary purpose of breasts is to feed children and will stop acting like children themselves when they see a baby nursing from its mother. .

• DariusC says:

Women have a right to breastfeed in public if everyone else has a right to stare at their boobs. Don’t like it? You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Tough shit.

• little stripes says:

Wow. You do realize that a woman’s breasts aren’t just for your viewing pleasure, right? Oh, maybe not, since you’re a sexist asshole.

• LadyTL says:

If a woman chooses to put her breasts out there regardless of the purpose and does not try to cover them up, they cannot complain about people looking. Breasts are not single purpose and haven’t been for centuries.

• imasqre says:

Or she could have one to the bathroom or outside. I personally do not ever want to see a mom nursing her baby while I am trying to do my shopping.

The elitist attitudes of moms in general is disgusting and often laughable if it wasn’t so intrusive. I recall a case where a mom caused a huge issue because she was asked not to change her baby on the TABLE at a Dunkin Donuts. Seriously? Someone argued that they have the right to change dirty diapers in a public eating area? The fact that moms think they can sit in the middle of a busy store does not surprise me one bit.

They have blinders on when it comes to common sense in social situations.

• runswithscissors says:

Moms shouldn’t have to feed their babies in the BATHROOM. That’s disgusting.

So is your tale of diaper-changing on a table, disgusting.

How about we keep poop in bathrooms and eating outside of bathrooms?

GASP!

Also, you forgot to say “whipping her funbags out”. -10 points.

• ajlei says:

I guess you don’t think people should be allowed to eat in public, either.

• LadyTL says:

I’ll acknowledge the “primary” purpose of breasts when breastfeeding mothers in general admit that the purpose depends on if you have children and that there is and always be two main purposes to breasts. Give you a hint, the second one has nothing to do with breast feeding.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Well then the rights of Target should be taken away then because of this. It’s their store, their building, their merchandise…they have just as much right to say what they want or don’t want in their store. What if the mom starts squirting all over the merchandise? There were times when I can remember it just not stopping after the baby was off.

I could care less either way it goes. Just can’t stand it when people look at one side of an issue and are so blinded by entitlements that they can’t see the other side. If they don’t like Target’s policy…they have the freedom to go shop some where else, use a pump and have a bottle on hand or they can leave their child with a sitter. See…they do have options…

• little stripes says:

Don’t you have something better to do then leave comments online?

You just can’t be serious with that comment.

Oh, wait, since they are mothers, they shouldn’t do ANYTHING except stay barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, amiright?

• Jawaka says:

Wouldn’t Target be able to call the police and have them removed for loitering? If they aren’t purchasing anything then they aren’t customers.

6. JReedNet says:

I’ve worked at Target for 10 years. Not once did we have a breastfeeding policy.

• atthec44 says:

I’ve worked at Target for 3 months and the only thing we’ve been told is to direct the mother to the fitting rooms if they’d like privacy.

• SimonGodOfHairdos says:

See, I would probably take that as it was intended: a nice offer for a private place to nurse, so that I wouldn’t have to whip them out in public. However, some La Leche League nutter probably heard that offer and interpreted it as “TARGET IZ VIOLATING THE RIGHTS OF MAH BOOBIEZ” and it lead to this obnoxious protest of a non-issue.

7. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Oh boy, here we go….

8. Hi_Hello says:

if I was a store employee, can I just take pictures of them?? like a side boob show but with breast feeding and a blog… taking picture in public places is all good, right?

9. Liam Kinkaid says:

From the KHOU article, it says she sat down on the floor to breastfeed. Please, sit in a chair or walk around to feed your baby. The floor is so dirty! That’s gross for your baby!

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Oops, it was the click2houston.com article that states she sat on the floor. Still gross.

• longfeltwant says:

Huh? What’s gross? She sat on a floor and held her baby up to her boob. The floor is like two feet away from the baby. What does the floor have to do with anything? Plus, floors are cleaner than, say, dirt; and babies do just fine playing in dirt, and have for a million years.

• Misha says:

The baby isn’t licking the milk off the floor. How is it gross for the baby?

• Liam Kinkaid says:

The argument against breastfeeding in the restroom (which I do not make, because yuck!) is that it’s unsanitary in there. The same is true of the floor. Even though the baby isn’t eating off the floor, the baby wouldn’t be eating off of the toilet seat if the breastfeeding were done in the restroom. I don’t understand how *either* place is healthy to feed the baby. People step in dog poo and walk on that carpet! It’s gross to think of feeding a baby near that!

• longfeltwant says:

Bathrooms are not at all unsanitary. Bathrooms are the cleanest room you ever regularly spend time in, by a wide margin.

• DarthCoven says:

Have you ever seen the inside of a woman’s restroom, particularly in a big box store like Target? Bitches be gross…

10. Jack T Ripper says:

Here’s my thing… My wife breastfed all three of our kids, but she had the decency to do it somewhere that she wasn’t going to make other people uncomfortable. For a bunch of people to form a ‘mom’ to deliberately make people feel uncomfortable is just immature. I’m just waiting for a bunch of guys to form an “adjust yourself in public” mob. Or maybe an ‘obvious erection in tight pants’ mob. There are just certain things that are not best done in public. If you gotta feed the baby then you gotta feed the baby, but find somewhere that you aren’t going to offend anybody. At the very least don’t just flop it out there and walk around so everybody can see. Cover yourself up like some of the women in those pictures. I know what they are doing, but it isn’t offensive. Some woman who just lifts her shirt and hangs her tit out there is going to offend me.

• Jack T Ripper says:

I meant “mob” and not ‘mom’. Understandable typo there. ;)

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’ve never seen anyone do that in my whole life. This particular woman was sitting on the floor (meaning not at eye level) and was covered with a blanket. If it offends you to even have an inkling that a baby is nursing from a boob you can’t even see, you are too easily offended dear Jack.

• Jon Parker says:

You and your psychotic buddies in the “is it so hard” cadre are the truly disturbing ones. Breasts are designed for feeding babies, not Playboy centerfolds. The fact that you treat them otherwise makes you the sick pervert, not me.

• rmorin says:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Breasts have been sexual objects in various societies since recorded history began. Most theorize that this is because long ago it was a sign of fertility and in turn is a result of evolutional biology.

People didn’t decide “hey let’s oppress women by giving them two sexual parts!”. Their status as sexual objects was developed over tens of thousands of years not because of “playboy”. Please educate yourself before calling out other people as perverts, when you yourself are incredibly ignorant.

• zippy says:

For the most part through history, breasts have been treated more like long hair is in current culture, like a marker of femininity, but not especially sexualized, and not considered indecent. Usually if a woman is expected to cover her breasts, it’s because she is expected to cover the rest of her body too, the breasts are not special. In fact, in many societies, modern and historical, where woman are expected to be covered from head to foot (and with their hair covered too), exposing a breast for the purpose of feeding a child is perfectly fine. Babies need to be fed, that’s what breasts are for.

• rmorin says:

You are completely making things up:

Where is your citation on this? How can you possibly defend this?

• longfeltwant says:

No, of course she can’t: all Western societies I know of have indecency laws regarding female breasts, with different standards in different places.

• longfeltwant says:

First of all, breasts weren’t designed, they evolved. Ignoring the figure of speech, second of all breasts absolutely, positively evolved for sexual pleasure, and absolutely positively not at all for feeding babies. The proof of this is that all other mammals have quite modest breasts, whereas human females have relatively enormous breasts (if they are lucky). If huge boobs were “better” at feeding babies, then you’d see huge-breasted females in nearly all mammal species.

• little stripes says:

Seeing a breast OFFENDS you?

You have serious issues with women, don’t you?

• hmburgers says:

Seeing my penis offends you? You have serious issues with men.

Honestly… if you’re going to nurse, keep your tits covered and don’t sit down on the fucking floor of Target–it freaks people out because they think there is something wrong with you. Go sit on a bench or something at least…

• Lydecker says:

“For a bunch of people to form a ‘mom’ to deliberately make people feel uncomfortable is just immature”

Can you cite where you saw a mob form to deliberately make people feel uncomfortable? And any images or video of how they were making people uncomfortable? And statements from the nurse-in of how people were made uncomfortable?

I’m not sure what article you’re reading. I read this one, and it didn’t say anything about making people uncomfortable. I watched the first video, and it was a bunch of decent moms with their toddlers.

Where are you getting that the mob was formed for this purpose and doing what you’ve stated?

• longfeltwant says:

If nobody were made uncomfortable, then this protest would be meaningless, wouldn’t it? The whole point is to confront people’s discomfort. The protest doesn’t make sense otherwise.

• Lydecker says:

The original poster I was replying to made a distinct separation between someone trying to be decent, and someone trying to make others uncomfortable. From what I’ve read, the woman was trying to be decent, and had a blanket covering her breastfeeding, and it made the target employees harass her.

Please cite where anyone is quotes as being uncomfortable.

And really, are all protests just to make people uncomfortable, or are they to raise an issue? Have their been no protests where people haven’t been made uncomfortable?

• MMD says:

No one just lifts a shirt and just “lets it hang out.” But it’s easier to smear people when you can exaggerate and lie, isn’t it?

• Boiled for your sins says:

Umm yeah, some do just that. So far, I’ve seen the ol’ flop it out on the subway, in restaurants and stores, during an orientation tour for freshmen and their parents at the local state college and a number of other public locations.

• dks64 says:

I’ve seen it. When I worked at a restaurant in the mall, there was a lady who sat in the mall part of the restaurant, turned out towards the center of the mall, lifted up her shirt, and exposed her breast. The baby stopped feeding numerous times, so her nipple kept becoming exposed. She made no effort to cover herself. I wasn’t personally offended, boobs don’t offend me, but the lack of consideration of others is unfortunate. And to say women don’t do that is BS, I’ve seen it many times.

11. Doubting thomas says:

I can’t watch the videos at work, but how does employees at one store “making her feel uncomfortable” translate into all Targets are bad?

I guess it would also depend on what Made her feel uncomfortable means. Did a 17 year old bag boy stare at her exposed tit or did management come out and ask her to cover up?

12. MrBeetle says:

I’m all for woman’s/babbie rights and such… and have absolutely no problem with breastfeeding anywhere. But whenever I see a story like this, it makes me want to go to said nurse-in, and sit and stare at the women nursing. Sit and staaare. STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE. Until they complain that they want some privacy.

• Jack T Ripper says:

Nah… women like that are exhibitionists. They are the same ones who would use a port-a-poty with glass walls if there was one available. Which is probably why they don’t have men in their lives. If they did have a man in their life then he would be telling her that going to a store in the cold so she could flop it out and feed the baby in public was a retarded idea and she was obviously suffering from some sort of disorder.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Yes, they organized this across the country and alerted the media for coverage, but they want privacy. It would be interesting to hear how you made that connection.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Women aren’t even allowed to share their photos on private Facebook pages. Doesn’t sound like most who feed in public are dying too much for privacy:

13. BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

Here is more background on the situation. It has said that the mother was covered and sitting alone in a quiet area of the store, her customer service experience was less than ideal.

• kayfouroh says:

“Remote area of the store” — couldn’t she have just gone into the bathroom and all would have been well in the universe?

• Shinchan - Please assume that all of my posts are sarcastic unless indicated otherwise says:

would YOU want to eat in a Target bathroom?

• Raanne says:

notsureifserious.jpg

i can only imagine how incredibly difficult it would be (not to mention pretty gross) to breastfeed in a public bathroom…

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I think a changing room would of been more appropriate…

• kayfouroh says:

Yes I didn’t mean bathroom as a concrete thing, I meant a closed off area, like a bathroom or a changing room. Same idea.

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

Typically, with most Consumerist posts, there are better ways of approaching things from the OP or other enities involved. But I would much rather sit on a carpet in the women’s jeans section than the floor of a public bathroom, or public toliet seat.

However, if you are a retailer with heavy demographic of women of childbearing age, a better response or breastfeeding policy could have been a proactive step.

• kayfouroh says:

Maybe I’m just not getting it, but you ladies do use the toilets in public restrooms, what’s the big deal with just sitting down on one with your pants on to breastfeed, if you wouldn’t have a problem with using the toilet with your pants lowered?

Although I can’t say I’ve ever seen a women’s restroom..

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

Because you asked, many women don’t sit… we learn the hover from our female family members as soon as we get the whole process under control. Personally, I don’t know any admitted “sitters”. If women have have injuries that prevent hovering…it’s a pretty common complaint to hear in the secret world of ladies rooms.

Haha okay, I guess I did ask (although not directly) :

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

You were a good sport about it…

Imagine an elegant Southern female voice saying ” Oh Good gracious, I believe this cast will require me to sit.”…. then you’ll be fully informed.

• Hi_Hello says:

i know about the hover to pee part..but do girls hover to poop??

That would explain the stories I hear about girls bathroom being soo nasty.

• longfeltwant says:

LOLWUT!? That’s neurotic! Are you admitting to that level of insanity yourself? or are you just saying you know other women who do that?

• NotSara says:

I’ve talked to a number of women about this (because we ladies talk about some nutty stuff in the washrooms) and most of the ones I’ve talked to sit. I sit. Hovering is ridiculous, largely because no one ever seems to want to clean up after themselves when they make a mess with a bad hover.

If you insist on keeping your precious, special bum free from the horrors of public bathrooms seats, at least clean your drips, dribbles and spray so the rest of us don’t have to deal with it.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

No, please! The carpets are GROSS! The bathroom’s probably not much better, but ugh, yuck…maybe a changing room or walking around breastfeeding or something.

• Misha says:

She had a cart full of things to purchase, and you typically can’t take those into bathrooms.

• carlathecommander says:

Wow. If the story is true, Target sucks. Usually the story is a woman refusing to cover, bla bla bla, but this woman was doing all she could do to be modest.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

This article directly contradicts the Time article. Seeing as it’s much closer to the event (Webster is practically a suburb of Houston), I’d tend to give it more credence than Time. She probably cleaned things up when it got more national attention with Time, and was probably more candid with Channel 2.

On Nov. 29, Hickman was inside of a Target store shopping for Christmas items when she decided to nurse her baby on the floor of the woman’s department in Target.

“He woke up and wanted to eat. He was crying so I sat down to feed him,” said Hickman.

14. carlathecommander says:

I breastfed 2 kids and just don’t get it. I’m all for breastfeeding wherever, but I always used a cover or a thin blanket. No one ever said anything to me and I don’t remember anyone staring. It was never a big deal.

• Jack T Ripper says:

That’s because it isn’t a big deal. It is only a big deal when you get 20 moms together to do it all at once. The need to breastfeed in public is really not that big of a deal. It happens, but most women are not comfortable doing that. Hell, even my wife covered up when she did it at home. Westerners are too modest to be comfortable with that kind of thing in public. But there are definitely ways of doing it discreetly when necessary.

• MMD says:

Your wife doesn’t automatically represent most women. You have no basis for talking about “most women” based on your experience.

Now I’m curious…if someone had hassled your wife during public breast feeding, I bet you’d be protesting right along with these women at Target! Because if it happened to your wife, it must happen to all women, right?

• Mamudoon says:

That’s because you did the right thing and put your child’s nutrition before your desire for attention. I have no problem with women breastfeeding in public. I really don’t care. But if you (not you specifically, but just generally) insist on making a scene, don’t get pissed off when people (and store employees) notice.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Do you know anything about what happened? She did not make a scene. She was sitting in a quiet section of the store, on the floor (where most wouldn’t even notice her) and was covered with a blanket. That’s the problem. She was discreet and was STILL harassed. Heaven forbid that women stage a protest to protect their rights.

• backbroken says:

Staring? No.

But I was side-eyeing!

15. SmokeyBacon says:

I keep hearing conflicting reports on this – some say that Target corporate said that the employees were incorrect and that it was not their policy and others say that it is their policy. And at least for the Chicago store I heard about this morning, it sounds like they are supporting the demonstration, which, doesn’t that kind of take some of the drama of a protest away when the people they are protesting support the protest?

16. Firevine says:

Christ these breastfeeding activists grate on my nerves. I don’t personally care if you whip your tit out in a quiet area of a store so long as your little demon spawn isn’t crying, but keep in mind others might not feel the same way, and quit being so damned self righteous about it.

• kayfouroh says:

To many, it seems, the act of pushing a human being out of their body is enough to disregard other people.

• Raanne says:

How was she disregarding other people? In every breastfeeding thread people say “its not a problem if the woman is discrete – why doesn’t she put a blanket over her” – and here we have an instance where the woman did exactly that, and she is still considered rude somehow for the very act of breastfeeding when nothing is exposed at all?

• Jack T Ripper says:

Yes, but that isn’t the point of this article. The point is that she got pissed and decided to stage a large group of people who are willing to NOT be discreet. That is the problem.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

No, it’s the solution. It is saying to Target that if they are going to humiliate and shame a woman who is being considerate about what she is doing, that they will be humiliated and shamed. These women are going to the extreme that the law allows to show Target just exactly what their legal rights are. Once women’s right to feed their child is respected, then there will never have to be another nurse in again, never. And, since in all of my almost 40 years of living in a big city I’ve never once encountered a woman in a public or private situation breast feeding indiscreetly, it’s pretty obvious that all of the uproar about BF in public is bogus BS. It’s more about fear than reality.

• Jon Parker says:

I’m at a loss to understand why they should be expected to be “discreet.” They’re feeding a baby, for Christ’s sake.

• DariusC says:

Fail comment. Protesting your rights by abusing them is not the solution, protesting them with more people doing the same thing you did is the right answer. Abusing your rights will only lead to more heated debates and even arrests for indecent exposure if the officer feels so inclined.

• Lydecker says:

Where does this article, or any article, state that this is about people gathering who do not wish to be discreet?

• kayfouroh says:

Did you watch the videos in the post? Read the article? Seems like staging these little “nurse-ins” is the “24×7 job as a mother” equivalent of the Occupy movement.

• Onesnap says:

Agree!

• runswithscissors says:

You were SO CLOSE! The classic consumerist commenter wording on these stories is “whipping her funbags out”, not “tits”. Also, instead of “demon spawn”, the preferred consumerist commenter term for children is “crotch fruit”.

Also, you would have earned bonus points if you’d called her a “breeder”.

So all in all, a decent attempt, but your wording was just slightly shy of the true classic breastfeeding story comment.

17. Jet_Set says:

The whole point is that (in most states) women have the legal right to nurse wherever they have the right to be. Whether or not people like it is immaterial. You may find the sight of brown skin offensive, doesn’t mean you have the right to discriminate. Personal preferences or opinions have no enforcement basis on legal rights.

That women have to resort to this kind of “activism” because our culture has gotten used to using boobs to sell beer instead of feed babies is crazy. Until we normalize nursing in the culture it’s too bad that this kind of thing has to be a “nurse-in” and not “regular life.”

• kayfouroh says:

You also have a legal right to be a complete jerk to everyone you meet, it doesn’t mean it’s what everyone else wants. I personally think the responsible and respectful thing to do would have been to go into an actual private area.. changing room, bathroom, her car… whatever, but to just plop down on the ground, while in her legal right, is a really stupid and selfish thing to do.

• Bsamm09 says:

I have a legal right to walk up to your table in a restaurant, turn around and fart. Whether or not people like it is immaterial. Personal preferences or opinions have no enforcement basis on legal rights.

• Raanne says:

Are you honestly claiming that you have never farted in public? That it was never you in the crowded elevator acting nonchalant? Or that that wasn’t why you were trying to get out of that shopping isle so fast? You weren’t coughing to cover up a less polite sound? LOL

Walking over to someone’s table and farting on them is rude. Just like walking over to someone’s table, and pulling out a boob, is rude. But farting in public… well… it happens sometimes. As does breastfeeding in public. Honestly – what seems to be lost in this latest generation is the sense that sometimes things just aren’t a big deal. If you see someone breastfeed just remember it is much easier to avert your eyes and no longer see it, then it is to not hear a screaming hungry baby. Personally, I would just be glad I wasn’t being subjected to a crying baby. (Although, as a mother of a son in throws the terrible twos, I know that crying kids aren’t always avoidable either).

• kayfouroh says:

If it should not be a big deal to breastfeed in public, why is it such a big deal to remove yourself from public to breastfeed?

• Mikey1969 says:

The problem is the sense of entitlement that women get that they are going to get pissed at you if they think you’re staring at their boobs, but they are going to whip them out whenever and wherever they want, it starts infringing on everyone else’s rights. You want to cover up and breastfeed? Fine, I don’t care if you’re on a double loop roller coaster doing it, just cover up so we don’t have to go through gymnastic routines to shop at the store without accidentally offending you by looking at your bare breast while we’re trying to find a frozen pizza.

By ‘you’, I mean the more generic ‘you’ as in the people who are doing this, not ‘you’ specifically.

• Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

” because our culture has gotten used to using boobs to sell beer instead of feed babies is crazy.”

So true.

18. brio says:

Ugh. Get over it. No one wants to see you breast feeding anything. Move on.

19. RayanneGraff says:

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. What a colossal, obnoxious waste of time. Oh, and way to use your children to make some stupid point! I’m sure your babies love being dragged all over the country so you can publicly overreact. Cripes, of all the self-righteous sanctimommy types out there, I think I hate Lactivists the most. Don’t these hags have anything better to do? Like be moms??? I have a sneaking suspicion that women like these only ever had kids to begin with for the attention & so they could have an all-natural water birth. They’re like the bridezillas who only get married so they can have *the perfect wedding*.

20. Raanne says:

I get how some people are squeamish when some one breastfeeds without anything covering them up. I mean, I wonder where people grew up that they never saw that as a kid (maybe they just didn’t have younger siblings?) but I can get how that would make someone feel weirded out or something. (the same way I might feel weird about someone wearing clothes too small sporting a camel toe or something – i didn’t want to see it, but i can move on with my day and not think on it any further)

But here is a case where someone is completely covered up. Women are in there with their boobs covered up in non-feeding situations all the time and no one says anything. Babies are in there eating from bottles all the time and no one says anything. Why is an instance where a baby is eating under a blanket from covered up boobies even of note? Why would anyone even care or feel squeamish about it? Is the thought that somewhere out there someone might be breastfeeding really that disturbing to people’s reality?

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

I love this comment. Rational and pragmatic. Thank you.

• Bsamm09 says:

“She wasn’t exposed at all. If target has a problem with people eating / drinking in the store, then they should stop selling starbucks, or should make everyone who buys a coffee go sit on a toilet or changing room to drink their coffee.”

I don’t drink coffee through my dickhole.

• RayanneGraff says:

People don’t suck Starbucks out of another human being’s nipple, and if they did, nobody’d wanna see that either.

• GOInsanity says:

I’m 26 and I’ve never seen a woman breastfeeding. Never had younger siblings or cousins around. I’m sure when I see it for the first time in public I’ll be a little startled.

21. Jack T Ripper says:

Someone tell me the difference between exposing your breast in public and lewdness. Lewdness is defined as ‘indecent’. Isn’t that what people say when you knock on their door and they aren’t dressed? “I’m not decent”.

Now, a flock of women with towels over their chests is not indecent. No offense there. Bare breasts with kids attached to them IS.

It seems to me the Texas law needs to be clarified. It gives an exception to breastfeeding in their lewdness laws. Better check your local laws before you stage whatever this circus is called. If lewdness laws don’t exclude breastfeeding, then I hope you look good in nickle plated handcuffs, because you are going to get arrested and quite possibly lose your kids if you have too many of these offenses under your belt.

• Jack T Ripper says:

That would be where you’ll find your breastfeeding laws. So while it may not be illegal to breastfeed in public, its also not illegal to do any number of things that offended people might do. If you are willing to subject your kids to a stranger getting in your face and yelling at you, then fine. You are a fucking terrible mother.

• Raanne says:

• kayfouroh says:

“Although to be fair getting in someones face and yelling at them is assault, which IS illegal.” ..are you so sure?

Modern American statutes define assault as:

an attempt to cause or purposely, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily injury to another; or,
          negligently causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon.

• Raanne says:

Assault is a crime causing a victim to fear violence. Battery is a criminal offense involving unlawful physical contact, distinct from assault which is the fear of such contact. Yeah – its a cut/paste from wikipedia, but that’s how I’ve always understood it.

• kayfouroh says:

Well IMO you’re wrong. Yelling at someone is generally not assault. Threatening to beat someone’s head in can be considered assault, but telling them they’re a flipping moron is not.

• Lydecker says:

Lewd is defined as sexually unchaste or licentious. The second definition in Merriam Webster is obscene or vulgar. Dictionary.com defines it as first inclined to, characterized by, or inciting to lust or lechery; lascivious. And secondly obscene or indecent. So the definition has a lot more of a sexual nature than your definition implied, which I don’t believe you actually looked up at all before posting.

If someone is exposing their breast in a sexually unchaste or licentious manner, that is lewd.

If someone is esposing their breast to their child to eat, in a way that is not sexual or licentious, that is not lewd.

Just like if a young child is exposed in public, that’s not lewd, sexually unchaste or licentious.

It seems to me the Texas lewdness law should be clairfied that they mean lewd, as in sexual and licentious.

If someone is willing to get in a nursing mother’s face and yell at them in front of their child, which is INCREDIBLY rare and much more common for women to breastfeed, that person is a terrible person, and nursing is perfectly fine for a mother.

22. LiveToEat says:

I’m a breast feeding mom and in some places I don’t feel comfortable parking by myself out the far reaches of a parking lot to breast feed. Other times I think I’m someplace discreet, like in the back corner of the outlet mall parking lot where there are very few cars and then a tourist bus will pull up and unload right in front of my car. I do use a blanket to cover with,but my son is now in the habit of yanking the blanket off. My first son wouldn’t nurse with a blanket over his head which make it so much harder to nurse discretely.

23. Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

Not a single side boob shot in the bunch :(

• RayanneGraff says:

Judging by the moms they’re attached to, those boobs probably all look like deflated pastry bags, so you’re not missing much in the way of side-boobs.

24. dadelus says:

I used to be one of the dreaded receipt checkers at Target. At that time, the policy was that we had to check the receipt of anyone who came to the door with unbagged merchandise (yes stupid I know.)

I was training a new employee and a “guest” was pushing a cart with unbagged items towards us. I pointed this out to the FNG and told him to check the receipt. As soon as he started towards them I looked away from the cart and saw the woman. She was pushing the cart with one hand and had a blanket covering half her torso. Since several women in my family nursed their children I immediately recognized what was going on, but by that time, he had already reached her.

Unfortunately newbie didn’t realize it until he got right up on her and asked for her receipt. Once he put 2 and 2 together and figured out she was nursing he turned bright red and just started stammering. He couldn’t get a single word out besides “Uh.. uh… I’m uh.. I’m sorry”. I walked over, apologized as well and told her she was free to keep moving.

Luckily, she was a very sweet person. She said it was no problem at all and expertly whipped out her receipt for review. Poor newbie gingerly took it from her, did a quick review for the items that weren’t in bags. Once we ensured the merchandise had been paid for, I apologized once more and off she went.

After that experience I made sure to pay a little more attention to what was going on before I performed a receipt check or sent my trainee off to do one.

25. Skyhawk says:

The store’s policy prohibits eating and/or drinking inside the store.

This is another case of a group wanting special treatment. And throwing a hissy-fit in order to get it.

If you can’t go 30 mins. without feeding your kid, don’t shop there.

26. Cyfun says:

You mean there is gonna be an organized location where I could go to catch some epic sideboob action? If you wanna get half naked in public, fine with me, I have a camera. :D

27. Cyfun says:

And doesn’t it seem strange that no other customers saw her breastfeeding, but several store employees did? Since when are store employees anywhere to be found? Maybe she had wandered into their breakroom, which is why they were ticked off.

28. kayfouroh says:

Did anyone see the mother in the black shirt at 0:05s on the first video? Doesn’t the girl look a little too old to be breastfed???

29. sadie kate says:

I am breastfeeding RIGHT NOW, and I hope that makes all you sanctimonious lunatics very comfortable. I should really know better than to read the comments here.

30. KitanaOR says:

Guys, whether you think it’s indecent or not is completely irrelevant.

• Slader says:

Why is it irrelevant?

• kayfouroh says:

Because we are just a bunch of crude men trying to keep the women down, apparently.

Modesty, discretion and respect apparently are lost on this latest generation of mothers. It’s kind of obvious with some of these comments.

• msbask says:

Did you even read the article? The woman was covered. She was being “modest”. It’s just never enough for some people. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding breastfeeding issues, you invariably hear the same exact comments:

“She should stay home if she has to nurse!”
          “She should go in the bathroom!”
          “She should go in the changing room!”
          “She should cover up!”
          “She should stop whipping them out in public!”
          “She should just pump!”
          “She should get used to me staring because I’m uncomfortable!”
          “She should learn how to use a bottle when she’s out in public!”

It’s ridiculous really.

• MMD says:

Which comments? The ones claiming that women “whip out” their breasts? The ones comparing breast feeding to public urination or masturbation? Or the ones stating the fact that women have a legal right to breast feed?

Rights are so inconvenient, aren’t they? Especially when their other people’s rights!

• KitanaOR says:

Respect??? Talk about lack of respect. Even covered up, and LAW on their side, and they get ignorant comments and power-tripping morons like this. And FYI, breastfeeding has been happening since dawn o’ man. “Latest generation of mothers”??? Are you serious?

• MMD says:

Because breast feeding is a legal right.

31. heynowheynow says:

I used to work at Target and we were told to not approach or say anything to someone breastfeeding and if they asked us for a place to nurse, we were to offer hem a dressing room and ONLY a dressing room, never a bathroom etc.

32. sweetgreenthing says:

I nursed my DD until she was 2, and I’m nursing my 7 month old. If I can get to the dressing room or nursing stall (my mall has one, high five Temecula!) I’ll use it, but if not, I’ll find a bench or any other clean place and feed the baby.
    I’ve tried to use a cover and it worked well until about 4 months, when my son decided eating with a blanket over his face wasn’t a good time and starting pulling the covers off or to the side exposing me far more than if I just went without one and got the job done.
    Boobs are for food. Sometimes they can be played with, put in a push up bra and stared at, but the reason for boobs that make milk on women is for food. Time to learn to cope with it.

33. RayanneGraff says:

I’m almost laughing too hard to even post this xD

34. MMD says:

Next person to use the phrase “whip it out” loses their commenting privileges. No one “whips” anything out during breast feeding. Can we at least agree on that?

• KitanaOR says:

It separates the educated from the ignorant on the subject. Makes it easier for me to tell who to take seriously.

35. NoLongerALurker says:

Some people are so funny. You do realize you’d see more boob at the magazine stand than you would on a breastfeeding mother? These double standards are so ridiculous.

36. ICherub says:

To me, this is like the locker-room conundrum. Some get changed and move on with their lives. Others seem to intentionally stay naked as long as possible, when there is no plausible reason to be. Breastfeeding is natural and healthy and should be encouraged. BUT, some mothers seem to forget that rules of basic propriety are not suspended just because one is breastfeeding. Don’t let your milk-filled bananas hang out for five minutes while burping, for example. Basic rules of conduct still apply. Also, don’t give me an evil eye if I accidentally look for a millisecond. Sometimes it’s not clear whether a mother is breastfeeding or just holding her baby close to her.

37. 6T9 says:

Boobs…..

38. baristabrawl says:

I’m a guy and I breastfeed my cat in Target all the time. PSHAW.

39. farker22 says:

tits or gtfo…

40. thrashanddestroy says:

All of this talk about rights and what people feel they’re entitled to…

I have the RIGHT to bear arms. I also have a concealed weapons permit, which grants me the RIGHT to carry said firearm. Every store or company in this country also has the RIGHT to disallow me entry into their establishment if I choose to carry that gun onto their property.

Just because you’re gifted a right doesn’t mean that privately owned institutions, establishments, or places of business have to allow you to enact those rights. Hell…I have the right to not wear a shirt, and Target has the right to ask me to leave if I walk in with my nipples all out in everyone’s business.

And yes, before I’m attacked for it, I AM saying public breastfeeding and brandishing firearms are the EXACT same thing. Totally, 100% exactly the same. For real. Nip milk and guns.

• KitanaOR says:

Wow, this has got to be the dumbest argument I’ve ever read. Thanks for the laugh.

• MMD says:

You are aware of laws that permit public breast feeding, are you not? Don’t like them? Work to get them changed. Until then, your comparison doesn’t really work.

41. gman863 says:

Of all the terms that could have been used to describe the event, flash mob? The thought of dozens of women in mom-jeans pretending they’re Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl makes me want to projectile vomit.

42. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Where are the cops with the pepper spray!

43. Mikey1969 says:

Seriously, you HAVE to breastfeed while walking through the store?

First off, I have to go out of my way in thew store to avoid looking anywhere near you, not because I’m offended, but because I don’t want to be accused of ‘ogling’ your boobs. Suddenly I have to look in circles around you to find what I want, because as a man, I am automatically in the wrong if you choose to get offended.

Secondly, learn to plan ahead. I have two stepsons and a daughter all 3 were breastfed, and my wife never had to whip it out in public. Once in a VERY great while, she would go out to the car, but usually she planned ahead, used a pump and brought a bottle with her.

You want to talk REALLY awkward? Try waiting tables, and walking up to your table while the woman has it whipped out and the kid is attached. You have to look down to talk to her, but then it looks like you’re staring at her boobs once again. Ridiculous.

At least use a blanket or some other cover up. It’s not our fault you can’t figure out something so simple as how to breastfeed when your are leaking, or your child is hungry without inconveniencing the entire rest of the world. It’s not women who breastfeed that annoy me, it’s not even ones who do it in public, it’s these entitled people who feel that they have no obligation to reach a compromise with the general public. THEY piss me off.

• KitanaOR says:

Seriously, you HAVE to comment before reading the story? The mom sat on the floor in the women’s clothing section to nurse her baby. She put a big blanket over herself, she said.

And what a hypocrite you are: talk about “choosing to be offended”.

Secondly, learn what the hell you are talking about. Newborns to 6 months are constantly nursing for food and/or comfort. Plan ahead? Did you really help raise your children or did you constantly send them to the car? Bottles are only to be used when the mom is not present.

It’s people like you that are so close-minded and that have to control what people do, that is stopping things like women feeding their children and gay marriage because YOU find it icky and awkward. Grow the hell up.

Yes, they are entitled to feed their babies. People who feel that they have no obligation to reach a compromise with the general public (and the law) such as yourself piss me off.

• Mikey1969 says:

A: ‘She said’.

B: This was a general response to the behavior that I have seen over the last 20 years or so.

C: I had a full time direct hand in raising my kids. My wife never had to whip it our in public, not once. Ever. And yes, the kids were using bottles as well as nursing.

D: I have no problem with women nursing in public. If you had bothered to READ my post, you would have seen that my problem lies in women who don’t bother to cover up and then get offended because, as you are trying to conduct the business that you are in the store, restaurant, bank whatever for, you look in the general direction of the exposed breast, and suddenly you’re “staring”. Cover it up, it’s that simple.

E: Gay marriage? ‘Icky’? Really? Not only do I support Gay marriage, my brother in law currently lives with us while he is going to school, and he is as Gay as they come. I DON’T CARE.

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out…

• Lydecker says:

A: And who else has said ANYTHING to make you believe otherwise? You’ve stated she was doing several things, such as walking, and not covering herself up. Who “said” this? Where is your source? If you’re going to dismiss what she said, have a reason for it.

B: If this is a general response, direct it as a general response without targeting one person who isn’t doing what you’re complaining about.

Breastfeeding is as natural as they come. I DON’T CARE. I’m not going to force women to hide it anymore than I force gay men to hide their relationships.

• Lydecker says:

“Seriously, you HAVE to breastfeed while walking through the store?”

She was sitting down. Where did you read she was walking?

“First off, I have to go out of my way in thew store to avoid looking anywhere near you, not because I’m offended, but because I don’t want to be accused of ‘ogling’ your boobs.”

She was covered by a blanket. How could you oggle that?

“At least use a blanket or some other cover up.”

She did.

It’s not her fault you can’t read articles about the news story.

44. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

lol religion

45. Extended-Warranty says:

No matter what way you try to slice it, this is downright rude and disrespectful.

I shouldn’t have to explain to my kids that “the mom over there is hacing the baby suck on her nipples to eat. The reason so many moms are there is because some people are uncomfortable with watching this, so they all do it just because they can”.

Personally, I thank all of the mothers who consider others when doing this. It’s just like anything in the world. You didn’t HAVE to be considerate, but your fellow citizens appreciate it.

46. 180CS says:

47. sj_user1 says:

I’m fine with women nursing in public as long as they don’t mind me watching.

48. TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

I don’t always drink milk….but when I do…..I prefer Dos Boobies!