Pampered Chef Ice Cream Scoops Recalled, Could Fly Off Their Own Handles

Consumer Product Safety Commission recall notices are hilarious in their understatement. Take this current recall of Pampered Chef ice cream scoops: the problem is described in the press release headline as an “Impact Injury Hazard.” Translation: if you put this scoop in warm water, the cap at the end may pop off and hit you. Or your kitchen appliances.

The metal scoops are filled with a mysterious liquid, and the plastic cap at the scoop’s end can pop off at a high velocity when the scoops are exposed to water. Pampered Chef has received 22 reports of burst scoops, which have caused six injuries to people–cuts and bruises. (The other popped scoops caused damage to kitchens.)

There are about 20,000 of these out in the wild. What should you do if there’s one in your kitchen? Fill out their handy Web form, or call Pampered Chef at (877) 917-2433 for a refund or replacement. You can also e-mail them at productalert@pamperedchef.com. The local consultant from whom you bought the scoop can also help with a refund or replacement.

Recall Site [The Pampered Chef]
The Pampered Chef Recalls Ice Cream Dippers Due to Impact Injury Hazard [CPSC]
Recall: Pampered Chef ice cream scoops pose an ‘impact injury hazard’ [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Ice cream iz srs bizness. You best be ready for some risk when you go big!

• SaltWater says:

The inside of the scoop is filled with some sort of anti-freezing agent. Not the same as what goes in a cars radiator but it works the same way. Also, the scoop is made of anodized aluminum which should never be run though an automatic dish washing machine. Detergents used those machine cause anodized aluminum to pit.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

My first scoop was ruined by my teenage daughter putting it in the dishwasher. It turned a very dark gray color and the residue came off on my hands. Threw it away but I loved it so much I bought another. (I bought it last month so it’s not under recall) Told my daughters that if it ends up in the dishwasher again they get to pay for it.

2. Dallas_shopper says:

Hehehe “Pampered Chef”.

3. teke367 says:

Well, the point of that liquid i the scoops is that you only need to put them in water to clean them. If you leave them in warm water (as we did in the restaurant I worked at), it becomes extremely hot. We didn’t have any problems with the cap, but they were basically unusuable.

4. crispyduck13 says:

I love how it looks like a regular old solid ice cream scoop…but it’s filled with some mysterious liquid that expands tremendously when the outer metal surface comes in contact with water. Sometimes people need reminded: KISS.

• The Porkchop Express says:

The “mysterious liquid” allows the handle to transfer body heat to the scoop so you can scoop away at even the ahrdest ice cream. Sounds like they put too much “mysterious liquid” in the handle this time around and there was no room for expansion.

• crispyduck13 says:

Or the seal/plastic cap was defective. Or the goo has become sentient and had to escape in order to infect our water supply and KILL KILL KILL.

I never should have taken that creative writing class.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Ingredients of Pampered Chef Ice Cream Scoop include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

• Darury says:

So after it explodes, you should call Dr. Love?

5. RueLaLaLa says:

These are the best ice cream scoops. Ever. Unfortunately, mine was ruined when someone “kindly” put it through the dish washer for me :(

6. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

This is only for scoops purchased between 7/1/2010 and 9/30/2010

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Steve was working the line at the time. He got a little happy when filling the scoops with the mysterious liquid. Thanks, Steve.

• crispyduck13 says:

Spooge does not expand so rapidly with heat that it could develop the pressure necessary to blow off the cap and actually hurt somebody. Although the theory gave me a hilarious mental image to cheer me up on this dreary day.

7. surgesilk says:

What a joke this recall is. We called to get a replacement but were told we had to have the party # we attended. Who the hell has or keeps that info?

• Rachacha says:

Contact the CPSC. The CPSC’s goal is to get as many dangerous products out of consumer hands, and requesting this information runs contrary to that goal. If they get enough complaints, or if you make a convincing arguement, they can modify the terms of the recall.

• msbask says:

I just emailed them about this, because I buy all my Pampered Chef stuff when a local rep sells it at a craft fair near my home several times a year.

I’ll send it back to them if they want, but there’s no way I’d have any “party” info.

• msbask says:

I just finished an email exchange and explained that I bought mine at a craft fair last year (and I actually have NO idea WHEN last year I bought it).

They told me to dispose of it, and they’ll send me a refund, which actually pisses me off. Where should I dispose of this exploding ice cream scoop? Shouldn’t I be sending it back to them so they can send me a non-expoding scoop? Nope, I get to go through the trouble of buying a new one.

8. Costner says:

Other injuries reporting include the rippin’ and the tearin’. The rippin’ and the tearin’.

• The Porkchop Express says:

that happened at the party, the scoop was not involved. A spatula and a pizza stone were though.

9. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

My cubicle mate has one, so I sent her this link so she can review. She said “what’s this world coming to” and shook her head. I told her I’d feel badly if she injured herself or her husband, and I didn’t warn her.

**side note – my ice cream scoop is from Goodwill. It’s some sort of extremely heavy spoon with a black handle. Not sure if it’s an official ice cream spoon, but it doesn’t bend and that’s what I use it for.

10. PunditGuy says:

It’s part of their “The Pummeled Chef” line.

11. Gravitational Eddy says:

“There are about 20,000 of these out in the wild”

I’d say that’s a serious underestimation.
    I have two of these, and one of them is from the early fifties… and yes, it looked like it was from the fifties. To say that there are just 20,000 of these “out there” is not terribly truthful. There could be millions of them out there. I believe mine (the newer one) came from Kroger’s and was found in the ice cream aisle, hanging on a hook.

The end cap (the one that pops off) looks suspiciously like it’s made out of lead, and the overall condition when I found it meant a few hours of polishing and buffing to bring it back to pristine condition. Both are identical, right down to the style of the “cap”.

I have questions as to how Pampered Chef can claim all of the older ones as well….

12. abruke says:

3 words: Bed Bath & Beyond. The stuff is cheaper and I’ve never had a problem returning something to them. Why pay more money to the Pampered Chef?

• Gravitational Eddy says:

Because people are fools with their money?

• pop top says:

In general, Pampered Chef has really good products, especially their stone bakeware. It’s like complaining about people spending the extra money to get Craftsman tools when you can get Snap-On cheaper. There’s a reason for the difference.

• crispyduck13 says:

Except Craftsman’s return policy is fabulous and easy. For little stuff like ice cream scoops and apple cutters, OXO from BBB is excellent and pretty inexpensive. For the record I’ve received several Pampered Chef products as gifts and they are all really good quality, I just wouldn’t go out of my way to buy them.

• cameronl says:

The Snap-On analogy is apt, as like Snap-On, Pamper Chef is good quality (generally), but horrendously overpriced.

• Costner says:

I think your analogy is backwards, because Snap-On makes pretty much the highest quality stuff available and it is uber-expensive. Craftsman is designed for the weekend warrior or shadetree mechanic… not the serious professional.

There is a reason when you go to the shop of an auto dealer they have huge Snap-On boxes loaded up with tools. You don’t see many pros using Craftsman (I’m sure some do for whatever reason, but it is slim minority).

• flipflopju says:

I bought cookie dough scoops at Target, BB&B and Walmart. Every single one broke because they would get caught on the chocolate chips in my cookie dough. Pampered Chef’s scoop has lasted me 4 years without any issues. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of all their items and I find that prices are comparable between brands. The only downside is the effort of going to a party but I just wait until someone has a “catalog party” which means you place orders online and there’s no pressure involved. It’s the best of both worlds.

13. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

My goodness. An exploding ice cream scoop. What will they think of next?

14. pop top says:

For as much as you have to pay for Pampered Chef products, this kind of thing shouldn’t happen.

15. MaytagRepairman says:

Interesting that they are not complaining about the entire production run. Every Pampered Chef party I’ve been to has warned about not putting them in the dishwasher.

16. Jamie says:

Am I the only one who reads this and wishes she had one just so she could drop it in water and see it pop?

17. Kestris says:

I have one of those, mine’s easily 13 years old and I’ve never had an issue with it.

Seems to be yet another thing that isn’t made like they used to be. And all that mysterious liquid is is antifreeze.