Consumer Reports Poll Says 14% Of Shoppers Lie To Cover Up Lack Of Gift

You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch. Or at least a liar, according to a new poll by our astute older siblings at Consumer Reports. While some of us hem and haw and promise a gift in the future, a full 14 percent of shoppers lie outright when they haven’t bought a gift for someone.

All this stress around the holidays means four out of 10 adults polled struggle to finish getting all those gifts on time. So Consumer Reports wanted to know what they give or say to the people they passed over.

The poll says 41 percent promise they’ll give a person a gift if they didn’t have time to buy one before the holidays, or even hand over a homemade voucher for a personal service (17 percent) while 31 percent just do nothing about it whatsoever. Sorry, no present! Shrug.

Then there are those of you who just flat-out lie, as 14 percent say they mumble something like, “Oh, I mailed it!” or “I left it at home.” Smooth.

Avoidance is also popular, at 12 percent, and another 12 percent just re-gift an unwanted item they’ve got lying around at home. Happy holidays, everyone!

14 percent of shoppers lie when they haven’t bought a gift [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. namcam says:

i made a donation in your name to the human fund!

2. RandomHookup says:

A lie instead of “I hate your guts & had no interest in getting you anything”?

3. BennieHannah says:

I can’t be the only one who stashes generic back-up gifts — a swanky candle, a can of good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, candy or a bottle of wine — in the car when we attend big gatherings just in case I or my husband are given an unexpected gift. Problem solved.

• Marlin says:

Oh a new Xbox360 how great… ahhhh… your gift is in the car… one sec.

Here ya go; jumper cables, ice scrapper, and a half can of deicer. Happy Festivus

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

My mother is the queen of this. I don’t know how she manages it, but she has little things around the house and can produce a nice gift that fits their personality at a moment’s notice. It’s really quite amazing to me.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s a good idea. I usually get something unexpected each year. If I don’t need it, I can eat/use/wear it myself.

Also I love that retro ornament gift wrap in the picture.

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

I am that person too! I have an assortment of items, pre-wrapped and ready to go. Each present has a post-it with the contents… ah, clearance bins of years past. Wow! 90% off on this lovely and expensive dohickey?! January clearance sales, generic present motherload!

• Jevia says:

Oh, great idea. I’ve had some at home, never thought to put in the car.

4. Quirk Sugarplum says:

“I ran out of gas…I had a flat tire…I didn’t have enough money for cab fare…my tux didn’t come back from the cleaners…an old friend came in from out of town…someone stole my car…there was an earthquake…a terrible flood…locusts!…it wasn’t my fault I swear to God!”

5. duncanblackthorne says:

I don’t lie about anything. I tell people I don’t do the whole Christmas thing, for two reasons:

1) I’m not religious in the least, so I have no motivation to participate in that aspect of it.
    2) I resent and am against how commercialized the whole holiday season is, therefore I refuse to buy anyone anything.

Furthermore I don’t really care or really even want anyone gifting me, either. You really like me that much? Then spend some time with me socially, and maybe make me some food. Those things are more valuable to me than anything else.

• clippy2.0 says:

you sounds fun. and stingy. lets hang out, ill bring the personality, you bring the 5 star dining

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

How’s the weather on Mount Crumpet this time of year?

• Sad Sam says:

Agree, we have a rule in our family. No Christmas gifts for adults, we only get gifts for the kids in the family. With my friends, instead of gifting, we all get together for brunch or dinner or a spa appt.

At work I will get my assistant a gift and my boss, but I don’t buy gifts for everyone.

If someone gets me a gift and I have not gotten them one, I respond by saying Thank you. Gifts are just that gifts, there is no requirement to reciprocate, the only requirement is to say thank you in person or to send a thank you note if not given in person.

• SteveHolt says:

I think we found the guy who complained about the postman doing his rounds dressed as Santa.

But seriously though, happy holidays :)

6. FreeMarketFan says:

I told my extended family this year I’m not doing gifts & don’t want them to give me anything either. We’ll see how it goes; although I’ve been told there will be backlash.

I see you people 2-3 times a year – why should I be exchanging gifts with you when you’re not even a part of my life. Now my g/f she got spoiled. My sister she got spoiled. My parents, I gave them nice stuff too. Everyone else – they get a lump of coal and a bag of switches

• BryDawg says:

With my extended family, we have a $10 max on gifts and everybody brings just one, no names on it. We do a standard White Elephant with it. It ends up being a blast and a good way to spend a half an hour after dinner. And, the crazier the gift, the better. It’s actually fun to buy for it, because you don’t have to worry about fitting it to anyone – just have to think what would be the funnest thing for someone to open…nobody expects a serious gift, so no feeling are hurt. We all know it’s just for fun (and $10 each isn’t too much to spend, especially when it makes everyone laugh and have a fun time).

7. jessjj347 says:

Why is regifting so frowned upon?

• Rachacha says:

I don’t think regifting is bad.. especially when the re-gift is appropriate for the recepient. I have done it a few times when I get something and think that the gift is not for me, but it is a PERFECT gift for someone else. Where you run into problems is when you reach deep into the closed, and pull out the heart shaped crystal picture fram that you received as a wedding gift, forget to remove all signs that it was a regift (the to/from card is tucked inside the box) and the gift is not at all appropriate for the recepient (Uncle Fred probably does not want a heart shaped picture frame when he found out a month ago that his wife of 25 years was cheating on him with his best friend).

8. ponycyndi says:

I only had this happen to me one time. By a nephew of my sister’s (by marriage, he’s not my nephew, and his mother didn’t buy my kids any gifts in the years I’ve known her) He’s 5. I went to my sister’s house for Christmas, not knowing they were even going to be there. He wanted to know where his gift was. I told him sorry, I didn’t get you one. I told his mother I didn’t know they were going to be there, she obviously knew we were going to be there, and didn’t get my kids anything.

Oh well. I didn’t get them anything this year either. And I also taught my kids that when they see someone they know, they should say hi, how are you, Merry Christmas, etc. NOT “where’s my present?”

9. Taliskan says:

I am telling the turth this year. I didn’t buy anyone a gift for a arbitrary/magical day on the calendar. If you deserve a gift I will give you a gift any day of the year. New house/car/boat/kid/spouse, gift occasion! Birthday/anniversary, eh, gift occasion, I guess. Christmas? Why not give you a gift for Easter/Thanksgiving/Arbor Day/Election Day/Lincoln’s Birthday too. I’m done with this. Christmas always ended up being a gift card swap. I’ll keep my money, you keep yours… let’s have food and drink and enjoy each other’s company. Better than a gift.

OK sorry… rant. Phew. I feel a bit better.

• crispyduck13 says:

I sort of wish my family would get on board with this.

• Taliskan says:

* truth (my kingdon for an edit button)

My family is not entirely on-board with this. But I told them straight up, if you got me something keep in mind that I have bought nothing for you in return. My mom is OK with that. She said quite simply “You are my child and I will get you a gift whether you like it or not.” Can’t complain/argue with that. My brothers didn’t seem to mind so much… I think. I’m in a better financial place than them anyhow… why burden them, I say.

Being a social outcast/awkward/introvert, I’m staying in my home for Christmas to celebrate with my two cats. There’s just a little too much hype about Christmas that for some reason or another I am really turned off to it this year. I still decorated and whatnot, that’s festive. :)

Hope you have a pleasant holiday, crispyduck13!

10. AuntySemantic says:

Believe it or not there are lots of people who try to ignore Xmas as much as possible. They just don’t participate for lots of legitimate reasons and it doesn’t make them bad or cheap or Scrooge-like.

11. Phil Villakeepinitrreal says:

I don’t gift everyone under the sun. And not all of my friends and I exchange gifts EVERY year reliably, but I do enjoy finding someone I care about something they have wanted or will enjoy. For some, like the smaller kids, that can be as simple as a Toys R Us gift card (sorry, I’m just not able to fathom what 2-10 year old females are into…). Or a Kohl’s gift card for one of the adults who shops there often. For someone else, maybe it means a Blu-Ray player for someone who doesn’t have a DVD player at all on their flat panel TV, or parts to go towards the construction of my mother’s home theater PC. For my former Latin teacher, it usually means picking him up a copy of a book I’ve read in the last year that was particularly interesting in some way because I know he appreciates new ideas and different ways of viewing the world.

It just doesn’t seem that hard to do something reasonably priced and right for the recipient…I never have to stress much over it.

• jesusofcool says:

See, I hate that whole unreliable gift giving thing with friends. I have a number of friends where I never know if we’re going to exchange or not – and half the time they aren’t clear if I try asking what they would like to do. It’s super awkward. I don’t understand why more people can’t clearly tell you in advance if they’d like to exchange gifts – it’s not that I’m unhappy to buy I just don’t like being placed in an uncomfortable situation.

12. maxhobbs says:

So 86% tell the truth? Hard to believe.