Toys R Us Will Be Open For 112 Hours Straight Before Christmas

For those waking up in the dead of night, terrified that they forgot to find that perfect toy for their kid, Toys R Us will be leaving its grinning giraffe arms open for 112 hours straight. Starting this morning at 6 a.m., the toy shillers will keep stores open until 10 p.m. on Christmas Eve, December 24.

That means you could put the little ones to bed in preparation for Santa’s arrival and still make it out for a last-minute whatchamacallit or Suzywhoozydunnit. You know, whatever the kids are into these days.

Toys R Us pulled this move last year, says CNN, and apparently found it a good way to bring in customers who might need extended shopping hours to fit everything in.

“For the second consecutive year, our stores will remain open continuously during the days leading up to Christmas, allowing shoppers more time and more ways to shop with Toys R Us than ever before,” Chief Marketing Officer Greg Ahearn said in a statement.

And because everything in New York City has to be more extreme than anywhere else, the Toys R Us flagship store in Times Square has already been open around the clock, since Friday Dec. 16 at 6 a.m. If were more inclined to do math we would tell you how very many more hours that is. Fine, 96 hours? Feel free to correct us, but it’s a lot!

Also in the crazy extended shopping hours game are 14 of Macy’s stores, which will be open from Wednesday, Dec. 21 until 6 p.m. Christmas Eve. Target has extended hours of 8 a.m. until 11 p.m. until Dec. 23.

Toys R Us to stay open round the clock til Christmas Eve [CNN]

Comments

1. Rachacha says:

Good idea, although I am perhaps jaded as I grew up where grocery stores were open 24/7 and only closed for a combined 20 hours per year (10 hours on Christmas Eve/Day and 10 hours on New Years Day), and no matter what time you went in the store, there were always other people shopping.

2. RavenWarrior says:

I really blame Toys ‘R Us for being the ones to start the creep of all these unreasonable hours for retailers to be open during the holidays. It’s their fault for setting the precedent of being open before Black Friday and continuing to push everything to levels bordering on cruelty to line-level workers. Anything to squeeze out an extra buck from the public and screw over the workforce, I guess.

3. Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

Deard lord, Toys R Us. I bought something off their website as a gift, and I’ve been getting like 10 spam e-mails from them a day. I unsubscribed, but “it will take 10 days (read: we want to spam you as much as possible before forced by law)” for them to stop. Sickening.

4. TheSpatulaOfLove says:

Oh goody! 122 straight hours of bait ‘n’ switch pricing tactics, antiquated POS systems, and getting hit up for TRU credit cards! I can hardly wait!

• TheSpatulaOfLove says:

Whoops – dyslexia kicking in. 112 hours!

• The Twilight Clone says:

yes, their POS systems are POSs. I hadn’t been in a Toys R Us in years, but we now have a little one, so we were there maybe an hour this past Saturday. The screen on the POS faces only the clerk. You can’t see anything unless you stand nearly next to that person. So that’s what I did, and that’s when I noticed a $2 error in their favor. She corrected it cheerfully.

Still, it’s a bad design that I can’t help but think is on purpose.

5. crispyduck13 says:

Sounds like the worst place in the first world to be working at this week.

6. ceez says:

ah yes, consumerism at its best!

7. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

ToysRUs used to be a magical place. Now whenever I go there to buy a gift they have messy shelves, out of stock items, less selection, and higher prices than I expect.

If they want to stay in business, they need to realize that they have to step up their store beyond what can be found at Walmart, Kmart or Target. Do customer service and selection right, and people will go out of their way to shop there.

If only FAOSchwartz wasn’t so far away : /

• KJR52 says:

FAO is now owned by Toys R Us…

• Rachacha says:

I did not realize that until about 1 month ago. It was very sad to be walking through FAO Thanksgiving week with the kids and see a stock cart filled with several “R US Brands” boxes on it waiting to be placed on the shelf. While FAO still does have some unique toys, the “same old same old” toys that are available everywhere else seem to be taking up more and more of the store.

8. Amaras says:

112 hours? oh noes…

Call me when you reach 429,240+ hours of being open.

9. Extended-Warranty says:

Commence angry letters from employees. We all wish we had more money, but I don’t want these kind of hours to inconvenience ME.

10. kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Is Amazon going to extend their hours?