Report: Xbox 360 Update Uglies Up Video Playback

That Xbox 360 update that makes gamers promise not to sue and reportedly broke some consoles also may have brought another annoyance along with it. Reports say updated machines have trouble properly playing video, making colors appear washed out.

According to Eurogamer, the update makes the console play uglier video for a variety of technical reasons. As Kotaku notes, messing with the TV display settings to nullify the problem messes up the way games look.

Microsoft has yet to address the issue, other than generic “thanks for the feedback” replies.

New 360 dash borks video playback [Eurogamer via Kotaku]

Comments

1. ubermex says:

On a similar note, the new netflix app has lost a lot of functionality.

• Agozyen says:

AMEN to that. It now sucks on XBOX. Thinking of using my PS3 for Netflix now.

• ubermex says:

The most frustrating part is that the old one was the BETTER app among platforms.

• NewsMuncher says:

I dislike the way Netflix looks on the PS3 now, too. Especially since (many moons ago) they switched to a “relative to you” ratings system. Sure, it goes off of what you like, but how is it calculating those ratings? Both mine and my husband use one account, and he likes some really cheesy stuff (and he’d say the same for me), but when we want to watch something together, overall user ratings are much more useful to us. Sure, it’s got low stars, but we are in the mood for a campy B-movie.

• StarKillerX says:

Personally I’ve hated the new Netflix style for months, even on my PS3. I prefered when the catagories were on the left and it opened an entire grid of movies in that section instead of the ribbon type setup they now use.

I suspect it was to hide how many movies they have in each section, as before it actually listed how many in that catagory, but I hate it as finding anything is almost impossible, even the search feature for it sucks and I normally search from my computer as the PC’s search still works properly.

• Kestris says:

We hated it too and were never so glad as the day we dropped streaming in favor of just DVDs by mail.

Of course, then my PS3 got back at us by dying earlier this month.

• alliebeth says:

SO very true. I much prefer the more text-based previous app to this one with all its visuals. It’s slow, it’s shoddy at best, and sometimes it doesn’t even work! Plus, I have noticed a marked quality drop since updating.

• dolemite says:

I agree. Usually, if something changes, I hate it, then get used to it. I can’t even see getting used to this. When watching episodes, it’s like pulling teeth to get to the next one.

• PunditGuy says:

Maybe it’s Microsoft’s not-so-sly way to try to get people to upgrade their units with Kinect. To play the next episode, I say, “Xbox — next episode.”

• penuspenuspenus says:

Hitting a button when it says “Play next episode” is like pulling teeth?

• dolemite says:

When I was using it yesterday, let’s say my video finished at 18 minutes, but had 2 minutes left. I back out, and hit play next. When the next one started playing, it started at 18 minutes.

• bastion72 says:

This update was meant to be more compatible with the Kinect. They’re pushing the Kinect hard so they made it harder for people to use the controller to navigate.

• ubermex says:

Oh yes, I’m aware, however there are actual buttons that don’t exist anymore, kinect or not. Entire functions are missing regardless of controls.

• Invader Zim says:

I hate the way the movies just start playing. Esp when you are wanting to just read more about the movie or select a episode. So annoying.

2. blanddragon says:

I hate the ‘new’ update. System is slower to start up and log on. The Metro UI has and will continue to suck. My video is pixelated and washed out, often as mention. Overall fail M$, again.

3. Bladerunner says:

They haven’t just “failed to address it”, they actively deleted the forum posts from the beta testers about it.

(And count me in the “New Netflix sucks” category…I hate how you can’t look at episodes for TV shows anymore without it playing one!)

• Agent Hooter Enjoys Enhanced Patdowns says:

This is my ultimate biggest beef with the new design. I want to be able to chose my episode without arbitrarily entering whatever one they believe is next in order to be watches.

Also, I was terribly glad to see language and subtitle options on there and it doesn’t end up applying to the category that needs it most, foreign animation.

• penuspenuspenus says:

This I agree with. It slows down the process of selecting an episode (unless you want the one pre-slotted, which is a pain if more than one person is watching a show at different times). I do like the tablet reversion for Netflix. Wish we could see Xbox/PS3 go to that (minus touchscreen of course).

4. JoeDawson says:

This is why I do not update my Consoles, Ipods or Ipads until all the kinks are worked out… I am still on 4.3.3 on my ipad, and 3.55 on my ps3 for mostly JB (legal) reasons.

• rpm773 says:

Of the same mind set.

However, for consoles, if you buy a new game you may be forces to accept a firmware update of the system before installation can begin, no? I’m not speaking from a position of expertise on the matter here – someone please correct me if I’m incorrect.

Also, I only my Ps3 for offline gaming and nothing else, so it makes avoiding updates a fair bit easier.

• JoeDawson says:

Alas, yes, you can only play new games with the updates. I am waiting for a 4.0+ Jailbreak for the PS3 before I buy another game.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Good news is that the game will likely go down in price while you wait!

• Cat says:

Same for Windows, or just about any “new, improved!!!” bit of software or hardware. When I see the complaints have been dealt with and it’s stable, then I update / upgrade.

• JennQPublic says:

With Xbox, you don’t get a choice. Not if you want to connect to the outside world, at least.

I’ve been using them for years though, and they are pretty good about resolving the problems they create in a fairly timely manner. No tech manufacturer has updates down perfectly yet, and I doubt they ever will.

5. damicatz says:

The XBox 360 is complete trash. The hardware was obsolete even when it game out. Microsoft charges you for services that Playstation 3 and PC Gamers get for free. They even charge for using Netflix, in addition to the Netflix subscription fee.

People who are looking for good video quality should get a Roku. Or a Playstation 3. Or an HTPC.

• pop top says:

Their online play service is so much better than what I’ve seen on PS3. The hardware is fine, the graphics are great and the Kinect is good too. I know console wars are fun but sometimes you have to grow up and be objective about things.

• Twonkey says:

For sure. The only reason I don’t still have my 360 is because with the exception of the first-party stuff, there’s really no such thing as console-exclusives anymore. Since I tend to favor Sony’s first-party stuff over Microsoft’s, it just didn’t make sense for me to own both. I ended up selling it on the ultra-cheap to a co-worker of mine last Christmas. She was going through a bit of unexpected financial trouble during the Holidays, and I sold it to her for $20 with several games so that she could have something to give her kids.

• Cheaptastic says:

Im with you when it comes to everything BUT the community, xBOX community is far better online on most games.

• Chaos is my friend says:

I have a PS3 and XBOX 360 and the 360 is not a bunch of trash. The only advantage the PS3 has is that it has a blu-ray player. As far as which is better, XBOX live is better, the graphics are even, game availability is even, and the 360 came out two years before the PS3. Oh and my XBOX has never kicked me out of XBOX live for an entire month and compromised my credit card information (thanks Sony)!

6. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Less quality, usability in the name of marketing and further Microsoft money-grubbing.

Good job fucking things up for everyone, suits.

7. WildGibberish says:

Yeah. The New update is bad enough that I don’t even really want to use my Xbox right now. We’ve always used it for 70% video and 30% games. With the video playback looking rough and Netflix almost unusable, our use of video has dropped dramatically. At least I can still find where my game library is, so I can still play games. Luckily the update didn’t break my system, unless you consider the new interface as breaking it. I don’t know that we even really need the gold membership anymore since we mainly used it to access services we already subscribed to like Netflix and Hulu. On another note, I don’t know who’s to blame, but Netflix has gone through a slew of bad UI designs on systems lately. The Wii version has gone from one of the best to clunky, and now the Xbox one is just a bucket of fail. Personally I hate auto-play videos, and it annoys me when the new Netflix app auto-plays every video I look closely at.

8. conquestofbread says:

We just bought our Xbox and received it only a few days before the update was released. We had a PS3 until it broke like 9 months ago.

I found the old interface harder to navigate as a new user. Maybe if I had more than a day or two to use it, I would have gotten used to it. But I found the upgrade and new home made it easier for me to figure out where stuff was.

I haven’t noticed any problems with the video quality, but I agree that the Netflix interface sucks.

My boyfriend might have a different opinion of the interface since he is a long time console gamer, and this is my first one, having only played video games on my DS Lite.

9. VectorVictor says:

Ahhh, another day, another anti-XBox post from Phil.

It’s getting to where you can set your watch to this stuff.

• Bladerunner says:

Dude, really? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m no team Phil cheerleader, but Xbox has a lot of news of late, and Xbox is a pretty major force in consumer news today. For all his many faults, Phil’s on the ball with at least posting things promptly, even if the articles are usually scanty and have a dozen other problems (what problems do you see? parum bum pssh). As the new update becomes the standard for most users, more issues are going to crop up, and obviously MS is doing its best to pretend they don’t exist. Would you rather Consumerist ignored what’s going on?

10. FLConsumer says:

Roku for Netflix. Only way to go. Video streaming quality on the PS3 Netflix app sucks compared to the little Roku.

11. dush says:

they also added a ton of stupid kinect ads to their video apps.
    stupid, stupid kinect