Day Of Holiday Shopping Hell Ends Happily, Thanks To Target Employees

When store employees can remain calm and help customers during frantic holiday shopping, everyone wins! Consumerist reader O. had a long day of navigating crowds desperately trying to finish buying gifts, so losing a bag full of merchandise at Target was a bummer of a way to end the experience.

But all was not lost, thanks to capable Target guest services employees. O. was worried, especially after reading a story last week on Consumerist where many of you voted that lost merchandise is the shopper’s responsibility once they purchase it.

But we do like to give thanks when the customer actually wins, so we’ll let O. tell you how it all went down.

I spent most of Sunday shopping and dealing with crazy crowds. My last stop of many was to Target. I ended up leaving a bag, containing over $60 in purchases, at the cash register. I didn’t realize it until I got home about 40 minutes later.

When I called the store and spoke to an employee named Jonathan, he said that the bag had been turned in. Recalling last week’s Consumerist story about someone leaving a bag at a store, I expected to be out the money or have to put up a big fight. Much to my surprise, Jonathan said that if I brought my receipt back to the store, they would replace the merchandise. No questions asked, no hemming or hawing, he just told me that it was no problem (which was a perfectly acceptable substitute for “you’re welcome”!).

When I got to the store, Jonathan was on lunch, but another employee had the same reaction… they would replace the merchandise. Before I went to get the replacements, we checked their returns/lost and found area and ended up finding the bag about five minutes later.

This all happened while the store was packed. Every employee was very friendly and never once gave me any attitude or grief. It was a great way to end a very long day shopping hell!

Thanks are also in order, we think, to a fellow shopper for returning the lost items in the first place, instead of seeing it as a free bag of stuff, ready to take home.

Comments

1. Rachacha says:

“Thanks are also in order, we think, to a fellow shopper for returning the lost items in the first place”
    As the bag was left at the register, how do we know that the person that turned it in was not the cashier.

The difference in this story from the one last week was that the items were purchased in the store, were in a store bag and were left at the register where they were turned in either by the employee or another customer and the OP called the SAME DAY that she forgot the items. The story last week, the customer called several weeks later to the wrong store.

2. alliebeth says:

If she left it at the cash register, the cashier probably saw it and turned it in. I don’t expect (thought would hope) regular customers to do the same; employees I expect nothing less.

3. GMFish says:

I had a friend who would occasionally get a free lunch from Taco Bell.

He’d call up claiming he just come through the drive-thru with a large order for work, but they forgot something along the lines of a burrito or a couple of tacos. Never too much.

He’d ask if they could have it ready when he got there. He’d pull up to the drive-thru window, get his free lunch, and then drive off.

• Dallas_shopper says:

That’s really douchey of him; he could get people in trouble or even fired for that.

• Mikey1969 says:

I worked aty a Burger King YEARS ago… Some lady came through the Drive Thru, ordered some food, went to the store, and showed up like 45 minutes later claiming we didn’t include her full order. My boss, who came across like a freakshow, but turned out to not only be a nice guy, but be very customer oriented while still backing up his employees, listened to her tell him that she had run errands and THEN decided to claim missed food. He told her if she had come right back, he would have been more than happy to fix her order, but she can’t drive all over town and THEN claim to have missed food. She started to rant and rave, and my boss told her that he didn’t care what kind of fit she threw, and if she ever came back again, but that she was S.O.L. as far as her food was concerned.

The only time he ever got in trouble for these kind of encounters was when someone else was complaining about someone and kicked over the outdoor garbage can, he followed the guy out and threw a tray at the dude’s car like it was a Frisbee… I would have given anything to be there that day… :)

4. cromartie says:

Which is why you always make sure you the cashier hands you the receipt, rather than allowing him or her to put it in a bag. (Cashiers that do this are a pet peeve of mine.)

5. Cat says:

40 minutes

6. pop top says:

This story of O isn’t as good as the other one.

7. Traveller says:

It really does come down to the actions of individual managers at these stores. While there is a certain amount of corporate policy at play. Both in the cases such as these where store employees go above and beyond so do cases where store employees are just pricks (return disasters etc.)

8. dush says:

I marvel at how a day of voluntary american consumerism is equated to “hell.”

9. Jane_the_cynic says:

I recently left one of my bags at a supermarket and only realized this when I was unpacking at home. I called the store and was able to pick up the bag (they held it for me). I don’t see why this would be an issue.
    As a matter of fact I have witnessed this a few times and it is customary for the cashier to give the bag to lost and found or customer service.

10. kipfer says:

Just last week I left a bag of paid-for merchandise at the cash register at WalMart. I realized I was missing a bag of stuff and returned to the store in LESS THAN 10 MINUTES. The cashier looked almost sheepish as she fished out each of my items from a shopping cart full of go-backs. I say “almost sheepish” because she really couldn’t have cared less. I couldn’t believe they hadn’t placed the entire bag of goods (intact) at the lost & found. I didn’t say a word, I was so stunned… Less than 10 minutes! Unbelieveable!

11. kipfer says:

12. kipfer says:

13. kipfer says:

14. kipfer says:

15. maxhobbs says:

In reality I would venture to say that most people that leave their bags at the store, either a customer or employee turns them in and if the person calls or goes back they get their merchandise back.

16. impatientgirl says:

I left a bag at AC Moore once a few months ago. When I got home and realized it I called them. They said just come back with the receipt. When I got there they asked what I’d bought and I started rambling off items. I gave them the receipt and they picked up the bag from behind the counter. They were all very nice and helpful.

17. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m confused. It says the bag was turned in, so are they really replacing anything, or are they just giving her what she paid for? It’s one thing if someone took the stuff and they replaced it anyway, but if they just gave the person the merchandise that was found and had been paid for,are they going above and beyond–especially since the person had a receipt.

• Yorick says:

they would have replaced the items, except that they managed to find the original items in the shopping bag in the lost and found.

18. Dover says:

This reminds me of an issue I had a Target once. One item that I bought rang up twice and I didn’t realize it until I got home (relatively small value in a large shopping trip). I called the store, which asked me for the register number, the time from the receipt, and my phone number. They called me back about 15 minutes later and said they reviewed the security tape and that they were processing a refund for the overcharge to my credit card. It was remarkably efficient.

19. asten77 says:

I worked at SuperTarget for 5 years off and on through HS and college… This happens a dozen times every day. Usually, the cashier or front end team lead brings it to the service desk. There’s a logging and refund procedure for unclaimed items at the end of the day.

You’d be surprised how many things never got picked up, though.