PayPal Throwing Its Hat In The Online Daily Coupon Ring

PayPal is planning its own daily deal program in the U.S., joining the already crowded online arena where Groupon and LivingSocial are currently duking it out to offer the best discount. It’s all about options, these days.

PayPal, which is owned by eBay, says it wants to get the service up and running by April 2012, according to Bloomberg.

PayPal President Scott Thompson says they’ll get a leg up on what customers want in a coupon because they’re already in that game with over 100 million consumers shopping with PayPal accounts and using eBay.

“The experience is going to be completely different than anyone else’s through and through,” Thompson said in an interview at PayPal’s headquarters in San Jose, California, last week. “We’ll only give you something that we think fits the category of unique and relevant. Everyone else is going to bombard you.”

Sounds nice, but the double giants of LivingSocial and Groupon will be hard to slay, as they had a combined 73% market share in daily deals in October.

Competition is healthy, however, so we say, the more companies vying for our dollars and doing their best to top each other, the merrier.

EBay’s PayPal Counts on 103 Million Users to Target Groupon in Deals [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Great, now they can fuck that up too.

2. airren says:

Sorry Paypal. You have been fired.

3. May contain snark says:

Will they freeze your coupons if you try to use them to buy things for underprivileged children?

4. Cat says:

What PayPal President Scott Thompson REALLY said is they’ve already got a leg up on customers “so it will be easier for us to piss on them”

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Au contraire. Paypal does not put its leg up on customer to PISS on them…

5. dolemite says:

“I bought this online, using your coupon, and not only did it not take the coupon off, but now $500 in my bank account has been frozen for 3 weeks.” Paypal response: crickets chirping.

6. sparc says:

Nobody trusts paypal as it is. They don’t have the customer service to run a daily deals site. I can just see all the complaints now.

7. Me - now with more humidity says:

I read it first as “EPal” 8-)

8. c152driver says:

I give this whole Groupon-like deeply discounted coupon fad about another six months before it all implodes.

9. Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH Nice try, Paypal, nice try. It’s like they are pulling the landshark act.

*Knock.Knock*
    Unicef ma’am.

*Knock.Knock*
    Daily Couponing RIng, ma’am.

10. sjb says:

Sorry – that coupon seems to have been used fraudulently and will need to freeze your account until hell freezes over.

• Don't Bother says:

You can use that coupon to help sick cats, but not give presents to children.

THIS IS A CAT COUPON ONLY*

*nonrefundable.

11. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Paypal sez: “We’ll only give you something…” if you bend over and spread ‘em.

12. sirwired says:

Not another one!

Anybody with about $50 and some spare time can start their own “daily deal” site. It’s been way over-done, and the deals I was getting (before I got myself off of the mailing lists) were starting to look desperate…

13. sjb says:

Its interesting that not one positive comment has shown up here. It sort of indicates the general feel that people have on a company when the only good comments are to those who can debase them in new and unique ways.

• dragonfire81 says:

Trust me, Paypal deserves all the venom they get. They are one of the worst companies around.

• sjb says:

I do not need to trust you – I have first hand experience of their screwed-up business practice.

• Flik says:

So do I. Knowing the company as I do, and their lack of their left hands having even the slightest clue what their right hands are up to, I can see this as yet another clusterfuck instigated by upper management and passed down to clueless employees who have no idea what to do. It’ll eventually be written off as Y.A.D.D. – Yet Another Dumb Decision.

14. Kuri says:

That’s all fine and dandy, but they can still fuck off.