Nintendo 3DS Gets Free WiFi At 42 Airports

While people-watching, reading and nervously quadruple-checking your boarding pass are perfectly valid ways to pass the time before your flight boards, they pale in comparison to squeezing in a few online rounds of Mario Kart 7. Thanks to a deal between Nintendo and Boingo, 42 airports now have free 3DS WiFi hotspots.

You can check Nintendo’s map for the hotspots nearest you. The feature makes the 3DS a more viable travel companion, but if Nintendo really wanted to make the device more attractive to frequent fliers, they could have given it a battery that lasted longer than three hours.

Boingo and Nintendo Team to Connect Nintendo 3DS Users On-the-Go [BusinessWire via Joystiq]

Comments

1. Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

Sorry, the princess is not at this airport.

2. The_IT_Crone says:

Oh great, so now we can use up the battery BEFORE we get on the plane.

3. Geotis says:

That’s all fine and well, but when do I get the rest of my Gameboy Advanced game promised in my Ambassador program?

• Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

That’s what a Flashcart is for.

• Geotis says:

I definately do that on my old Gameboy Micro with an old M3 flash cart, but I’m trying to go as legit as I possibly can, but Nintendo doesn’t seem like it’s trying very hard on it’s end to allow that with there assinine “limited release” schedual or refusal to release a game due to an obsolete license. If it will cost money or take time, Nintendo doesn’t consider it worth while, but damn it if they will allow someone else to enjoy them for free!

4. mr cloudy says:

Wonder how long this will last. Someone’s going to clone the MAC from their 3DS and use it on their laptop. They bought a 3DS so they’re entitled, right?

• Ashman says:

Thats easy… Linux can do it in a snap with a few simple commands and a quick little download if its not already built in… I am sure there are also programs out there for windows and osx that can probably do the same…

5. gargunkle says:

I don’t own a 3DS… is its wifi different from regular wifi?

6. Outrun1986 says:

The web browser on this thing is atrocious, so why would you even want to use it for anything else but playing a game? Maybe if I wanted to see what surfing the web in 1996 was like… As far as I know wifi games for this are so few and far between, that there is hardly a reason to play in public over wifi, when you could just do that at home.

7. some.nerd says:

This seems to be irrellevant… Don’t airports usually offer free wi-fi anyway?
    Or am I just spoiled for living in Boston & flying out of Logan? (LOL… local humor)

• MFfan310 says:

Chicago’s airports (O’Hare and Midway) don’t offer free Wi-Fi, and neither does Detroit Metro.

• Ed says:

It is a mixed bag. Denver does, LAX doesn’t, and neither does Nashville. Orange County does. Newark doesn’t either.

8. carbonFE says:

I love my 3DS, and I travel a lot. I’m usually on the road two or three weeks out of the month. I carry my 3DS everywhere and I can’t tell you just how underwhelming the wireless features on this device are. I only have it turned on once in while for the video content. I save my battery life for gaming on the plane.

When I first bought it, I carried it around with the wireless trying to connect to other units for the Mii sharing. I’ve only had one connection, ever. I guess one of two things is happening, no one is buying this device, or the people that have don’t want to waste precious battery life on pointless Mii sharing.

9. LanMan04 says:

Awesome, so now how does the hotspot know the device connecting to it is a DS, and how to a make my laptop appear as such a device.

I’m guessing the wireless MAC address has some Nintendo-specific manufacturer code embedded in it…should be easy enough to spoof.

10. guspaz says:

There isn’t a single Nintendo hotspot in my entire province, which makes up almost a third of Canada’s population. Fail.