Tresemme Customers Are Really Mad About Not Getting Free Samples

Oh my. Tresemme, purveyors of shampoo, conditioner and other hair-related items, has a lot of dedicated customers — or at least, a lot of customers who really wanted free samples and are now foaming at the mouth in anger over not getting them.

Tresemme, or, excuse us, TRESemmé, has been busy on its Facebook page apologizing to furious customers, after a marketing campaign targeted at only 500 email subscribers went viral.

The original apology post on Facebook yesterday explains the situation, with a tidy sum of almost 400 comments below it. Most of those are customers complaining, or fighting with each other, with a few more apologies sprinkled in from TRESemmé.

TRESemmé would like to extend our apologies to those who recently signed up for free samples. Unfortunately, that offer was part of a small market research program that was sent to a group of 500 email subscribers, but it ended up going viral and was inadvertently reposted to our Facebook page. As noted on the sign up page, these samples will only be available to those who were sent an email. Thank you for understanding.

In a follow-up post, they add that they’re going to try to give people something for the terrible inconvenience of not spending a few dollars to buy shampoo.

Hey, everyone, we’re really sorry again about the samples. We know a lot of you are upset about it, and we understand why, but there is a light at the end of this tunnel. We’re looking into a way to make things right with all of you who requested a sample.
Please email us at TRESemmeSamples@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns. Everyone who emailed us, stay tuned. We’ll get back to you shortly.

Let us know if you’ve been denied free samples, and whether TRESemm√©’s makegood is any good.

*Thanks to Consumerist reader Alex for the tip!

Comments

1. CubeRat says:

I don’t think kitty wants any TRESemme.

• honeybee says:

That is my grumpy fur-baby, Hoenir, RIP. So nice to see his scowling face today (I mean that sincerely). He did not like to be bothered during nap time (so pretty much all the time). :)

2. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

This makes me laugh every time. I am on some free sample mailing lists and if I get one, great. If not… not a big deal.
    However, there will always be people that flip out and get angry for not being one of the few that end up with a free sample.

• DariusC says:

I’d be more angry that they were selling your information and only sending out samples to a few people to bump their bottom line up. Seeing past the action to the motives is key here.

• I just blue myself says:

I never understood that. Like you, I also am on some free sample hunter websites and reading some of the comments these people leave when they don’t get the sample cracks me up. It’s free, ffs. Also, it’s not like the sample won’t ever come up again.

3. cameronl says:

Wow, what a lot of entitled whining. First world problem.

• Dallas_shopper says:

That’s what I was thinking too. Whining because you didn’t get a FREE SAMPLE? Seriously? I always feel like I’m winning when I get a free sample of something. It’s a total bonus. I don’t feel entitled to one just because a company offers them.

• Coffee says:

Yup…free samples are limited…deal with it. It’s not like you paid them money, then you didn’t get the product. QQ some more, guys.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Yeah, but I’m also amazed that companies can’t seem to get the hang of teh Intertubez. Unless you WANT something to be available to every person on the planet, you give it some kind of unique ID that, once used, is no longer valid, or you just say very prominently that the promotion is limited to the first X customers.

• MMD says:

But it’s ok for the company to completely mismanage a promotion?

And BTW, it’s third-rate trolling to trot out the tired and lazy “first world problems” meme.

• cameronl says:

I don’t aspire to be more than a third-rate troll, so thanks.

From what I can tell, the promo was clear that it was for email recipients only, but people could still sign up. They have no entitlement because they disregarded the intent.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Not sure they mismanaged anything. They sent an email to 500 targeted people. They, in turn, forwarded the email to people who weren’t in the initial program.

I say screw them all.

4. Dallas_shopper says:

I rarely get any free sample I sign up for, though once when I signed up to be a market tester for Gain I was sent two enormous jugs of the stuff. Took me six months to use it all up. WINNING!

5. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

This is an opportunity for Tresomme to turn this into a positive and stand head and shoulder above the crowd.

6. elangomatt says:

I wonder how much those little free samples cost. It’d be pretty great of Tresseme to dip into their advertising budget a bit and send out the free samples that people are scrambling for. (Is Tresseme even that good?) Maybe next time they’ll make a better free sample form that turns itself off after reaching the number of free samples they want to give away.

And to the people scrambling for the free samples… Give me a break. Is it really that big of a deal if you don’t get your free one hair washing worth of shampoo? You probably would have forgotten you ever requested and would be surprised when you finally received it in 10-12 weeks anyway.

• RockerGal says:

I only use Tresemme, and if I am feeling rich I use Garnier fructis.
      I love both products (but fructis smells nicer lol)

7. kobresia says:

That shifty-eyed kitty clearly is some sort of extreme online couponer, stealing all the “free sample” coupon codes out of the emails and obtaining everything for itself.

8. TheBusDriver says:

really? A Gmail account for a corporation?

• JoeDawson says:

That is a “Pretend we are listening, but can ignore it because it is not actually our company” address.

• ChuckECheese says:

Once a week, the social media director’s secretary opens the gmail account and clicks “delete all.”

9. shadowboxer524 says:

Wow. Cannot believe people are getting so worked up about this. It was a simple mistake, for a free sample of all things. Are some people so entitled that they can’t forgive TRESemme for the error and move the fuck on? Jesus…

• Bob Lu says:

If I am reading it right it is not even technically a mistake – the sign up page noted that “[the] samples will only be available to those who were sent an email”.

Hoever they should have arrange the event better – a unique, one time use code for each email subscriber is never a bad idea.

10. haggis for the soul says:

I never even remember ordering samples so they’re usually a surprise later. I wonder if people really take it so seriously that they would stand in front of their mailbox waiting for shampoo samples. The phrase “get a grip” comes to mind.

11. ChuckECheese says:

There used to be a lot more free samples given out. Not so much anymore. 500 mini bottles of shampoo isn’t much of a marketing budget.

12. MickeyMoo says:

TRESemm√© was owned by Alberto-Culver, a corporation acquired by Unilver for $3.5B cash – Unilever has a market cap of $94.59B. This isn’t some mom and pop cupcake shop that got hosed in an ill-advised Groupon deal. They can well afford to send out free shampoo to every person who signed up 10x over, and write it off as a promotional expense. That said, whiners are whiners, suck it up and move on.

13. FrugalFreak says:

I’m still waiting on my “Where’s The beef T’Shirt” first one was no show, re-released some, A no show either.

14. marillion says:

Can I really be the only one who, at first glance, thought the headline read: “Threesome Customers…..”???

Would completely change the meaning of the story, in my humble opinion.

The company is nice to offer any kind of recompense (needed or not) to the freebie hunters/complainers. I guess in this economy, they know that they have to work to keep even the complainers. UGH!!

15. MECmouse says:

People who think they’re entitled will never change and this is really hitting rock bottom, folks! However, TRESeeme’s at least trying to ‘make this right’. I guess as the gene pool gets cloudier and cloudier and the viral electronic age we live in only becomes larger, companies are going to have to be more willing to fix things that aren’t even their fault.

16. Snip says:

Free samples run out, especially after someone posts them on a popular forum. What’s really hilarious about this one is that Tresemme is some of the cheapest shampoo at ye olde Wally World. It’s not that hard to find people willing to swap on review sites if you’re that determined to avoid spending a buck on this stuff. And they’re upset because they missed a free sample? SRSLY?