Wait Until The Holidays Are Over To Buy These Three Items

Holiday deals may have you going after sales left and right, but there are a few items you should resist the urge to splurge on now, and grab during post-seasonal deals later.

CNNMoney
highlights a few such items, warning consumers that even something that seems great now will cost even less when the buying bonanza of the season is through.

‚Ä¢¬†Clothing: It’s been warmer than usual this year, which means people have been buying less warm cashmeres, furs, coats, scarves and flannel pajamas. Those products will be deeply discounted after Dec. 25, say experts, who advise buying loved ones a gift card to be used later.

‚Ä¢ Holiday decorations: Your overzealous, tinsel-happy aunt knows that the best deals on holiday decorations will happen just when you’re ready to take down the tree. Stock up for next year on wrapping paper, ornaments and other festive items.

‚Ä¢ Jewelry: The flashy stuff is an attractive buy for the holidays, but if you want to make a big purchase, hold off until after Valentine’s Day if you can. Prices could be cut by half for all things sparkly.

Check out CNNMoney for more tips on what not to buy just yet.

What not to buy before Christmas [CNNMoney]

Comments

1. lucky13 says:

Unless it’s something that I need NOW, I always wait until January to buy clothes. I never buy holiday decorations or jewlery, so will wait until after the apocalypse for those sales.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I have been tempted to inform my family that all presents I buy for them, ever, will be a seasonally adjusted one-month late so that I may take advantage of sales and clearance items.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

I hit our nearby outlet mall 2-3 times a year. GAP, Eddie Bauer, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Kenneth Cole. Stock up. Go home.

Best deal yet was a leather jacket at Kenneth Cole for $49… and I’m an odd size. Long arms.

2. caradrake says:

Consumerist is actually posting an article that supports giving a gift card?

3. Cat says:

After all the returns are made… check the clearance aisles. Some spectacular finds there.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

Totally! I hit an Eddie Bauer rack of solid color cargo shorts for $2 a pair one year. Still rotating them.

4. smo0 says:

I actually wrote a huge blog on gift giving – but it kind of competes with this site so I won’t post it here.
    This is more for self shopping… ultimately it doesn’t matter what you spend or what the gift is… that defeats the purpose of giving a gift if that’s all you’re about.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

For those of you unwilling to scrool through SNN to see what the other 3 were, it was Televisions, Bedding, and Gym memberships and fitness equipment.

6. crispyduck13 says:

I have come to *LOVE* after Christmas decoration shopping. Last year I got my very own decoration box going with gorgeous stuff at 90% off. It’s a great option when you have literally no decorations (youngen) and are astonished at how much that crap costs regularly. In 2009 I cleaned up on x-mas lights to use at my wedding, love it.

Never thought about clothes, that’s a good one.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I got my entire first big tree decorated that way. I got loads of money for graduation in December 1999 and knew we would be buying a house and getting a big tree soon (I was married and had a great job right out of college along with a big down payment for a house saved.) So, I set aside a portion of the money to go buy ornaments and decor at 50%= off. I got some great stuff that I still use today.

7. BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

I tend to holiday shop the first half of the year. When I see something great for a loved one, I pick it up months before Christmas Creep begins. It’s the way to go… everything wrapped and purchased by September 1. This year, I slid off my high horse. We paid for our wedding and it fouled up the budget. 2012, you are going down!

• cromartie says:

I’ll second this. If you see a gift, get it, regardless of the time of year. Over half of my Christmas shopping was done by the end of August.

8. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I’m very frugal, so my favorite thing to look for right after Christmas are gift baskets with hair care or skin care items, slipper socks, scented candles, those little colored 4 watt bulbs, and decorations. Plus it is the best time to scour the clearance racks for winter stuff as the spring product will be out very shortly.

9. mommiest says:

Fruitcake. That stuff lasts for years, and will be dirt cheap after the holidays. Next year’s gift shopping, complete!

10. shadowboxer524 says:

Fewer, fewer, fewer. I’m not actually very pedantic about fewer vs less, but “buying less warm cashmeres, furs, coats, scarves and flannel pajamas” makes me question what is being said. In this context, less *should* modify warm, but it’s being used to modify all the following nouns. The sentence makes it seem like the cashmeres, etc. are not as warm as they were previously. In this case, “fewer” is the better choice, as it makes the author’s intention more clear.

This appears to be a consistent problem with MB’s articles. If using “less” instead of “fewer” doesn’t make the sentence confusing (i.e., it doesn’t inhibit clear, effective communication), then by all means. But in cases like this, the “rule” is an important one to observe.

• jaybee says:

Thank you.
      I wouldn’t go as far as to call the author of the article “ignorant”, but if you’re a journalist and your readers repeatedly point out the same grammatical errors, not correcting certainly points in the direction of a lack of nouse

• jefeloco says:

I see your point (and agree for the most part) and raise you a few.

Are you also going to point out the differences between fundamental out foundation? a hint for those who don’t know, one means it comes from an ass (or fundus), one means the base or support of something.

I also like when people say that something was decimated instead of devastated. One means cut to one tenth of it’s original sum, the other means practically destroyed.

English is such a fun language BECAUSE people hack up words to fit different definitions and then use the word in the wrong place. It allows me to chuckle on a daily basis at the expense of others (and, admittedly, sometimes laugh at my expense for the same reason because I’m not perfect either).

The worst is when people screw up orange and orange, since one is a color and the other is a fruit.

11. BennieHannah says:

Wait until the holidays are over to buy these three items…on Craigslist. (There. I fixed it.)

12. mike says:

Also on the list: Christmas trees, gift wrap, and Christmas cards.

These tend to go 70-90% off.