2 Months In, Searchers Still Seek Jack The Cat Lost At JFK

Two months after a cat named Jack got lost in the American Airlines baggage handling area at JFK, his owners and friends still continue to form search posses to try to look for him.

CBS reports that Jack the Cat first became lost after his kennel was stacked on top of another kennel by an American Airlines baggage handler and it fell, allowing him to escape.

Since then, fliers have been distributed, a Twitter account for the cat has been created, several search parties have formed and tried to look through JFK for the cat. American Airlines issued an amber pet alert for the cat, passed around photos of the cat to the other airlines at JFK, and enlisted a pet detective and Have-a-Heart humane traps to try to track him down.

Where’s Jack? Nearly Two Months Later, Cat Still Missing At Kennedy Airport [CBS New York]
Jack the Cat Has Been Lost at JFK for Over a Month; Cat Lovers Continue Awareness Efforts [New York Observer]

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

So sad! I would be absolutely distraut if one of my cats was missing for more than 2 months! Especially if it was scared shitless when it went missing and wasn’t in a place it could easily find home from.

Poor kitty cat :(

• LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

Your icon reminds me of a cat I used to have.

And I agree, I’d go out of my mind if anything like this happened to any of my cats.

2. mauispiderweb says:

He’s probably living it up as the King of the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. I hope they find hm soon, poor thing.

3. temporaryerror says:

I’d almost say, all things considered, I hope that someone thought he was worth stealing to keep and care for as their own, rather than all the other things that could happen with a lost housecat. But, then again, I think that house cats are more resourceful than they are sometimes given credit for.

4. cara says:

This is really upsetting. I feel horrible that not only the owners but poor Jack have to go through this. I hope he’s found safe and sound.
    As for flying my cat Buddy… no thanks. This confirms that he will never gain his little airplane kitty wings.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Only way any of my cats would ever do so is under the seat in front of me. But then, only one of my cats could do it because the other one is just too damn fat.

• Tyanna says:

My cat is very VERY vocal and loud. You think a crying baby is bad on a plane, I don’t want to imagine what a pissed off, scared cat would be like.

Here’s hoping I never have to find out!

• katieintheburg says:

That’s why they make kitty sedatives. While she hasn’t been on a plane yet, I have given them to her during long car trips (moving across country). Her eyes roll back in her head and she just lays there. It’s sad to look at her on the drugs, but it beats constant crying or her trying to escape when we open the doors.

I also gave them to my dog when we took her on a plane (under the seat of course) to prevent her from panicing. We didn’t want her to start digging her way out of the soft sided carrier. During a test run of a soft sided crate (solid frame, fabric sides) before said trip it took her exactly 42 minutes to dig and chew her way out of the soft sided crate. Thank God for PetsMart’s generous returns policy.

• cara says:

I have one 22 lb. cat.
        There is no way he would fit under my seat in a plane, so I totally understand. :D

5. OnePumpChump says:

Sucked into a jet engine.

6. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Okay, just seeing the “JACK is STILL LOST”, I heard in my head,

WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

7. Rainicorn with baby bats says:

HE’S GONE

8. meowgal says:

When a job I had transferred me from NJ to CA, I had to take my cat. I bought an airline carrier that fits under the seat, and paid for an extra ticket to keep her in the cabin with me. I believe it was something like 350 dollars. I was not allowed any other carryon other than my purse. Yes, it was a lot of money, but the peace of mind I had knowing she was under my seat made up for it. I did the same thing again when the job finished and I moved back to NJ.
    Hearing about Jack has me in tears. I hope they find him soon.

9. farker22 says:

did they find the cage the cat was in?

10. dolemite says:

I’m confident that if I needed to travel with my pets I wouldn’t trust them to an airline.

11. Firevine says:

No way in hell I would ever entrust my reptiles to common cargo. Not only the worries of extreme temperatures on either end of the spectrum (115 Fahrenheit kills iguanas dead), even a simple car ride freaks my iguana right out for days. Not to mention, the morons that work at the airport. I hope these folks find their cat.

12. ridgerat says:

Methinks Jack the cat doesn’t want to be found.

13. Conformist138 says:

Oh dear… that cat is… likely not alive. Sorry, but odds are he long ago escaped the airport. His odds are not good.

Then again, maybe he’ll be like the miracle kitty who eventually wanders all the way home.