Small NFL Beers Cost More Than $7 On Average

Tickets, parking and concessions are all costly at sporting events. Those who haven’t been to an NFL game in a while may experience plastic cup price shock when they order a beer. An analysis revealed that the average small draft beer is $7.13, 22.7 percent more than Major Leauge baseball brewskis.

St. Louis Rams fans wanting to take the edge off a so-far winless season by attaining a beer buzz have to come up with the most scratch, because their small beers cost a league high $9. Business Insider reports Cleveland Browns fans pay the least, at $5 a beer. Thirteen teams charge more than the MLB league-high Boston Red Sox beers, which are $7.25.

Here’s the full chart, which reveals the New York area teams charge the next three highest amounts after St. Louis.

Drinking At NFL Games Is An Expensive Habit [Business Insider]

Comments

1. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

I drink my own beer at home.

• MeowMaximus says:

I make my own beer at home, that way I don’t have I drink any of that swill that passes for most commercial beers – and I save money to boot!

2. Darrone says:

two words: Rum Runner.

3. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

If you actually went to a Browns game to watch, they should just give you the beer for free to ease the pain.

4. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Vodka in a bottled water container works well, or so I’ve heard.

• mauispiderweb says:

If you can get in with an “outside” bottle of water.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Vodka in a baby bottle? Big baby bag, some diapers, some wipes, some contraband… where’s the baby? “Oh, he’s with his mom, she’s in the bathroom. She sent me to find the seats.”

5. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

How many ounces is a “small beer” at each of these places?

Give me a cost per ounce comparison.

6. oldwiz65 says:

Jeez…why not just watch the game at home. You can buy a lot of beer for $9.

7. Mr Grey says:

Good football, and a cheap beer – the Pack is where its at.

8. whiterussian says:

And why is this newsworthy? Everyone that doesn’t live under a rock knows you get screwed on concessions whether it be sports or movies.

9. Big Cheese Make Hair Go Boom says:

And team owners wonder why attendance is down.

Just for my wife and I to go see a Redskins game, between the tickets (~$50+ per ticket for crappy seats), parking ($35!), hot dogs, nachos and beer…you are looking at well over a $200-$250 evening.

I do not know about you, but I would much rather have a very nice dinner down in DC that mess with bleeding out cash at a game.

• AEN says:

Beer at FedEx field is $9.

• PercyChuggs Was Found At JFK Airport says:

Nobody is forcing you to stuff your face with food and beer, or park in a lot. You’re telling me D.C. doesn’t have public transportation you can use?

The cost of an NFL game is how much the tickets cost, and nothing else. Anything you buy at the game, be it food, beer or merchandise, is irrelevant.

• incident man stole my avatar says:

Little Danny “I Wanna Respect, Damnit!” Snyder charges a fee to get to the stadium, parking on his lot or public transportation and has had walking into the stadium banned. The courts even agreed… a “safety issue”… now “Respect His Authoritae!”

• bluline says:

Based on this post, I did a google search and found an article that explains that Snyder does, indeed, add a parking “surcharge” to every ticket sold. So even if you take the Metro and don’t drive a car at all, you’re still paying a fee to park your non-existent car.

On the other hand, the ban against walking to the stadium was thrown out by a court that realized it wasn’t a safety issue but a money grab instead. Apparently, Snyder tried the same thing at a Six Flags theme park he owns and that, too, was denied by the local city council.

• incident man stole my avatar says:

Thanx for the update.. it’s been a while since i read the Washington Post everyday

• suez says:

The public transport to the new statium is not easy or convenient, and damned if I’d walk that distance for a night game. Have you BEEN to that neighborhood?

• frank64 says:

No, but it could be real inconvenient to not park there. Going hungry and living like a pauper also might not be fun. It is very fair to take that into account when deciding if one wants to attend.

• Darrone says:

Dan Snyder actually has tried, and had success, forcing you to either park their, or in some way pay a fee. he has tried numerous times to cut off public access to the stadium. Other owners have made similar, though not nearly as drastic, attempts to force you to pay for parking.

• coren says:

Unless, of course, you’re discussing the cost of concessions at a football game, where said price is very relevant.

• George4478 says:

I watch football every weekend and I’ve been to exactly one game in the past 15 years. I refuse to pay their prices. Add in the sheer joy of getting to the stadium and I’ll stick with my sofa and TV.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That’s pretty much the exact reason why my family’s favorite sports are arena football, minor league baseball, and college football tailgating.

• CoachTabe says:

Only two teams are playing to less than 88% capacity – the Bengals and the Dolphins. There’s a reason those two are down in attendance – and it ain’t the price of beer. Overall, league attendance is actually up.

10. scottydog says:

Given the average football team plays 8 regular season home games per year versus baseballs 81 home games, it makes sense that everything would cost more for a football game since they have to make up the revenue in fewer games.

11. rpm773 says:

Sure, high beer prices raise revenue. But I’ve also wondered if there aren’t other factors at work in establishing the prices.

Does a higher price for beer = less beer consumed? Does that equate to reduced liability, that may result in lower insurance premiums?

Does the community put some pressure on the stadium to raise prices or make booze less accessible (ie last call 7 minutes to go in the 4th), in an effort to prevent an outflow of drunken humanity at the end of the game?

If any of that is true, it would be interesting to learn how they calc the “sweet spot” price to maximize revenues while receiving some benefits of reduced insurance costs and reduced political fallout.

12. Chronopoulos says:

“An analysis revealed that the average small draft beer is $7.13, 22.7 percent more than Major Leauge baseball brewskis.”

Unless of course you live in Boston, and beers at Red Sox games are $8 a pop. Don’t even get me started on where the pats play….

13. ospreyguy says:

Bought a Sam Adams draft last night at the airport $8.90 (before tax and tip)…

14. JimT says:

9.50 for a bottle of beer at the Meadowlands. I happen to believe if the prices were more reasonable, you woudn’t have fans pounding a dozen beers in the parking lot and coming into the game blind drunk. Just standing on line to get in, and witnessing how intoxicated people are is pretty amazing.

• sponica says:

the thing is, I went to a game where there WAS no beer service due to the fact that Jets fans can become pretty “entertaining” while plastered (esp when a win gets you into the playoffs)….you know what the stadium did instead, jacked up the price on bottled water which was frozen because it was like 20 degrees out…

15. msgogo says:

That’s b/c you really *need* a beer to be able to watch the rams play.

16. u1itn0w2day says:

And as long as there are fans willing to pay outrageous prices they will continue. One day beer sales will just dropout and the owners and vendors will be baffled. Then they will cry for a bailout.

17. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I blame lawsuits.

18. Flik says:

When I worked in concessions many years ago in Seattle, the standard contract was for 40% of the gross beer sales to go to the city and the team, except when the Sonics played, then it was 48%. (They divvied up the money somehow.) Then take off sales tax, product costs (the $$$ from the Coors Light sponsorship doesn’t come to the consessionaire), payroll, overhead, etc., and you’ll see why they charge $8 a beer.

Funny how many people would grumble underneath their breath, then drop the cash anyway….

19. waterboy in Alaska says:

I just went to the season opening games of my ECHL Alaska Aces Hockey Team. This is a AAA level league, But it is the only “professional sport” we have here in AK. 16 oz beers are $6.75 and (my Favorite) 24 oz beers are $10.25. It is Alaska so we expect to pay higher prices for EVERYTHING, but it does get pricey drinking at the hockey game.

20. skapig says:

Not only is it expensive beer, it’s (usually) crappy beer too.

21. IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

LOL, in all fairness, if you’re going to rip anyone off, this is the best crowd, people that have already invested obscene amount of money on “genuine” chinese clothing to advertise your business and to top it off, paid insane prices to watch a random number generator at work, short of tattooing “i do not know the value of money so please take it all, i have way too much” on their forehead, I do not know what else they could possibly do to help your ROI, they practically expect to be robbed clean and prepare EXTRA money to have on hand to get had

• bhr says:

Is there anyone you don’t act like an asshole toward?

• IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

I’m like cheney, I like to project my wrath onto as wide as populous as possible. This way I hedge my bets and cover all the bases ar rar rar massive heart attack ar rar rar. I’ll make you a deal, take it or leave it, if you can justify how NFL improves the society, I’ll let all NFL stories slide from now on. I’ll check back tommorow.

22. Kuri says:

This is why whenever I went to an event in such a venue, bet it the Silver Dome or Cobo Hall, me and the people I’m with stop to eat before and if hungry after stop to eat then.

23. njack says:

Went to the Raider game yesterday and the small Bud Light’s were $9.50…no thanks. Although the trend isn’t just at football games. Went to a concert at Shoreline a couple weeks back and noticed the small Coors Lights were $10. Oh California, so expensive.

24. Skandrannon says:

How is it possible that St. Louis has the highest cost for beer with AB right around the corner?