When Buying A Mattress From Sears, Maybe Also Invest In A Truck

This probably isn’t news to you, Sears, but you’ve lost another customer for good. This time, it’s reader Jeff, who had a nice experience buying a mattress at his local Sears store, but a terrible experience trying to get the mattress delivered to his house. People do not enjoy taking a vacation day from work and then not having the delivery person show up. Four times.

So we finally decided to get a new mattress. Bought a nice King bed at the local sears and get home delivery as it was free…. what a total mistake – they proceeded to cancel 30-45 minutes before they were due to arrive FOUR times costing me 2 days vacation and two SAT AM’s spent waiting around the house. This was after they confirmed the night before and gave me a two hour window for delivery. Had so many excuses it was crazy. No mattress, no box spring, damaged goods…..

Finally got a hold of [redacted] at Sears Executive Team and she was totally useless – refused to change the delivery to the store, promised a $125 credit that I have yet to see, stated that her offer was the final offer and if I went to any other recourse she would not offer me anything in a very rude and confrontational manor.

I called my local sears store and with in 12 hours they had confirmed the mattress would be delivered to the store instead of my house – and the very next week I went to the store with my old box springs and picked up the new….. We had been delivered only the mattress some 3 weeks before…

Local store was great – Sears corporate was one of the worst experiences I have EVER had with a company – enough so I will likely never shop there again……..

We’d offer some resources, but all of them ultimately lead to the same executive team at Sears that has already failed to help Jeff.

Comments

1. Herbz says:

Not blaming the OP, but we all know Sears is going out of business soon as a B&M store. Seems like Sears knows that too (and why their employees don’t give a ****)

2. u1itn0w2day says:

The letter is a little fuzzy. How did a home delivery jump to a store only delivery? And there was damaged goods but no box spring or mattress? Even with a credit Sears still should have made good on the delivery.

Sounds like a fake customer service executive hired to pacify angry customers. And probably rated on how much they do NOT give to the customer to make good on a sale. In other words they look at the customer as the enemy. But from what I’ve been hearing about Sears or seeing in the stores I think Sears is indeed on the way out.

• RickN says:

>>And there was damaged goods but no box spring or mattress?

I think that was a list of the various excuses he got over the four missed deliveries, not a single excuse as to why a single delivery was bad.

• oloranya says:

I think it was a special order mattress/box spring and he had them switch it to be shipped to the store instead of his house so he wouldn’t have to miss work.

• coren says:

I think he requested it because he was getting boned by the delivery service, not sure.

3. u1itn0w2day says:

I’d report Sears to every regulatory and consumer agency I could including the local BBB and the Federal Trade Commission. I’d also give the local news a call and let people know in the area what happens when you buy a mattress at Sears.

4. Pete the Geek says:

My family shopped at Sears for as long as I can remember and I never even considered shopping elsewhere – until we tried to buy a new bed in 2003. I was shocked at how far they have fallen. We got the bed elsewhere. If Sears is going out of business it is because management chose it.

5. kevduce says:

Consumerist should write a book about Sears.

6. mbd says:

Back in 1987 I attempted to buy a dishwasher at Sears. I was promised a Sunday delivery. It did not happen, their delivery people decided I was not in their Sunday delivery area. I scheduled a weekday delivery and took off from work to wait for it. They did not show. The next day, I dropped by Sears, canceled the order and got my money back. I then drove over to the now defunct Topps Appliance City and bought a comparable model. As a result of this experience, I vowed never to buy anything from Sears again, it is now 24 years later and I have not set foot in a Sears store since. There is nothing I want bad enough to make me do business with a company that treated me like dirt.

The takeaway is that there is a world full of stores that all want to sell you the same things. If one is not doing the job, it is time to take your business elsewhere.

7. TheRedSeven says:

“…very rude and confrontational manor.”

I slept at that manor once. The archduke was a blast, but the servants refused to light the fireplace in my suite for me. One of them even insinuated that I was new money. The nerve!

8. bschaa00 says:

Why do you redact the locations all of the time? call out the stupid stores.

9. donovanr says:

My question is the same as I put to the Best Buy complainer; why the heck are you still shopping at Sears? Even if they have something you want why would you trust them in any way, shape, or form. This is a company just lying on the street waiting to die. I can’t imagine the hell that their employees are perpetually in. I might trust the delivery of a young healthy company that is trying to make a name for itself but what does Sears have to lose at this point. Dealing with this company would be like a police negotiator in a standoff with a guy who has two days to live. Not much to work with. When dealing with a person on the phone, even if you could genuinely threaten their job, would they really care?

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

• bluline says:

I understand your point, but there is another side to this that involves such concepts as professionalism, personal pride, and others. For example, I’ve been told that my job will be eliminated in a few weeks. I could easily sit back and do nothing during that time or do a shitty job just to show how pissed off I am at the world. But the problem with that it that the people I deal with within my company had nothing to do with the decision to end my employment. In fact, they all love the work that I do for them and they compliment me continuously on it. I take pride in that, and I don’t want to screw those people and make their work lives more difficult just because I’m being screwed personally. I missed a couple of days this week because I needed abdominal surgery. I came home from the hospital around noon yesterday and was on my computer, working, by 2:00 p.m. I could have said “screw it” and done nothing. But people I work with were counting on my help. So I helped them. I see nothing wrong with that.

10. markvii says:

The last time I tried Sears delivery (20+ years back), it was a PITA. Bought a fiberglass ladder, and it arrived generally banged up, and with chunks of fiberglass missing. It wasn’t in any sort of meaningful packaging — just some plastic wrapped around the top platform.

I contacted the local store, and they offered to send another ladder. I voiced the concern that if their other ladders had been treated in shipment that way this one had, would I be getting a ladder in usable condition? The employee clearly didn’t care.

Ended up speaking with a manager. He was nice about it, and personally looked at their stock of ladders and hand picked one in good condition to be delivered to me. Interestingly, he commented on how poorly packaged the ladders were in general, and how banged up some of them were.

I had already had enough bad experiences with my Sears credit card that this was the beginning of the end of my shopping at Sears.

11. scoosdad says:

I might have given them a pass when they missed the first delivery, but after the second- gone, history, chargeback, bye-bye Sears! Never four.

Must have been a really nice mattr.., err, dog kennel.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah, I might even give them a break the second time if it was because they found that the units were damaged as I would rather they do that as delivered damaged merchandise but after that they would be done.

12. Grungo says:

What an awesome photo to go with this article.

13. u1itn0w2day says:

I’m still wondering about the cancellation. Being it was a Saturday I wonder if the Sears delivery employees or contractors in question were more worried about starting their Sat night or someone said no overtime for you.

14. nocturnaljames says:

You shopped at Sears? There’s your problem!

15. SearsCares says:

To Jeff,

Having 4 delivery appointments cancelled or rescheduled is inexcusable and I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that we have caused you. I’m aware that you have spoken to someone in the corporate office but we would be more than willing to look into your situation again to ensure proper resolution to your issue has been provided. My name is James and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We value you as a Sears customer and we do want to make things right with you. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the delivery was scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Jeff) for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• skapig says:

The fact that the issue had to be escalated at all to get delivery of product is absurd. There are many stories like this involving delivery and/or service which demonstrate a systematic problem. If Sears really cares about its customers (and about staying alive), its system needs be fixed.

16. dibarnu says:

Story falls apart at the end (how did you get from delivery to store pick-up taking a week and dropping off your old stuff?) But really, OP makes the point that Sears doesn’t care. *hopeless sigh*

17. arkansan says:

Back in the 1980s, we bought a house with a Kenmore dishwasher which had a rusted door. Every time I opened and closed it, rust would fall out. When I discovered the dishwasher was only two years old and had a five-year rust-proof guarantee. I called Sears to replace it and was told that unless water was rushing through the dishwasher door, they wouldn’t honor it because “we’ve had too many of those claims.” It was 17 years before I walked into a Sears again. Even today, I only go there if I have to return something to Land’s End. Their poor customer service is nothing new.

18. sock says:

Growing up, we were a Kenmore family. In my early adulthood, we were a Kenmore family. Ten years ago I cut up my Sears card. No more. (I did get a sweet power drill with lithium battery last Black Friday.) But, for the most part, Sears is a really depressing, lonely place, obviously just burning through its last cash before closing down.

19. Anna Kossua says:

It’s pretty sad the treatment this guy got. One might think a company rapidly nearing death throes territory might work a little harder to build good relations with customers.

When I think of Sears, I think of a store with a big, dark cloud over everyone’s heads. Two of my friends worked for them (corporate) and both were treated horribly. It’s not just customers who get doom rained down on them.

Sears, if you want to survive, you have to do the right thing BEFORE you get shamed in public!