Refer A Friend To DirecTV? Make Sure You Got Your Referral Bonus

Have you referred your friends, family, or neighbors to DirecTV recently, unable to resist the lure of the $100 referral bonus for both you and the new customer? It’s a great deal: when the referral fee actually shows up on your account. Robin warns that he still hasn’t received his fee from referring a neighbor, and he’s not alone.

I recently referred my neighbors to switch to DirecTV after telling them about the free NFL Sunday Ticket offer and the fact that I was getting more channels than my previous service provider for less money. I also let them know that by using me as a referral, we would both get $10 off our monthly bills for 10 months, as they have been advertising to help get people to switch over, and, in essence, incentivize their customers to act as salespeople for them. I even gave my neighbor the special # to call and the customer service rep that signed them up said that they noted my info so that we would get credit for the referral.

Surely enough, no credit was applied to our accounts. When I called up, they said they could see it had been noted but that it could take up to 10 days to post. I called over 2 weeks later when my new billing cycle started and the customer service rep told me they had no record of the referral and that they could not do anything since it has t
o be applied at the time my neighbor signed up, which is what we did.

After speaking with a supervisor and still getting nowhere, I decided to Google the issue to see if I was the only one. Sure enough, there were plenty of posts about people who had the same problem which was never resolved.

Comments

1. Scamazon says:

Oh goody they are doing this program again…NOT. They screwed me of two new referrals the last time and THAT IS WHY I NO LONGER USE DIRECTV…

2. acarr260 says:

Seems like a lawyer somewhere should be drafting up a class action suit.

3. WarOtter - I went to Japan and all I got was this tumor. says:

I’m not sure a $100 referral would actually cover the eventual damage your neighbor will do to your house once they realize that you convinced them to sign up for DirecTV. Just the dead animals they will leave at your front door doesn’t seem worth the hassle…

4. Agozyen says:

/sarcasm below.

Why should they pay out? Seriously? How can you prove that your neighbor actually called the number and did as was asked? How can you prove anything to these corporate monsters that lure you in with promises and then, after you fulfill your end of the bargain, back out claiming they have ‘no records’ to that effect?

I learned my lesson with CenturyLink. Those people are screwed me over royally.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Oooo, I had a run in with CenturyLink a few years back. They were offering a $50 prepaid Visa card with new service. It took me months and months of repeated calling to finally get the damned card out of them. Every time I called I got a difference excuse as to why the card hadn’t been sent. In the end, after 8 months, I ended up with a check. Never again.

5. zigziggityzoo says:

I had to call three times to confirm. Once it actually went through I got an email and a letter in the mail confirming my discount. So did my friend.

6. KyBash says:

I hope I never have to give up my DirecTV, but I don’t think I could ever hate anyone enough to suggest they get it.

The electronics all work fine, and I’m getting far more channels I want at far less cost than I could through any other available service.

But woe to the person who has even the slightest problem or wants them to be true to their word. I have undeniable proof that they lied to state regulators about a problem I had, and if it weren’t for my going to a local dealer and pulling my “I’m 6’4″ 240 pounds of mad” routine, it would never have been fixed.

7. longfeltwant says:

My suggestion is to stop paying for television — then you save 100% off your monthly bill, AND you don’t have to watch the TV. I know, I know, that’s out of bounds for most people, but really, I think almost everyone would be better off.

• dush says:

You get free digital HD tv with some rabbit ears.
      Why pay for tv?

• pythonspam says:

… with some rabbit ears and a digital converter box…

• dush says:

tvs come with digital receivers, you don’t need a converter box.
          i suppose $20 for some rabbit ears is technically paying to watch tv.

• KyBash says:

I live in an area where I can get one low-watt station and sometimes, when the weather cooperates, one HD.

To live in an area with better reception means paying several hundreds of dollars more each month for rent, gas, food, etc.

• scoutermac says:

Because there are some tv shows that you can only get via cable or satellite. Which I enjoy watching.

8. scoutermac says:

I switched to Dish Network and so far I have received all referrals. Anyone else interested in a referral for Dish Network? scoutermac@gmail.com

9. Bionic Data Drop says:

This is exactly why I refuse to get satellite TV. They are just despicable companies with zero integrity.

10. sea0tter12 says:

I love my DirecTV service, and I’ve referred four people with no problems. Saved a bunch of money that way, too. Try going the corporate route — when I was having the same problem each month for three months (which they fixed quickly and painlessly each time, but I got tired of having to call in), a call to corporate got it permanently fixed.

11. dush says:

Directv? Thewreckedtv.

12. savdavid says:

I had the same problem last year. I had two friends sign up for DirecTV. They got their bonuses but I didn’t. It took me 6 months of calls to finally get them. I would call after I got my bill and there was no bonus and I would be told it will appear on next month’s bill. It didn’t. This was repeated 5 more months until I threatened to move my service to dish. Suddenly I got my bonus’ and a “thank you” bonus for my trouble. I still left DirecTV.

13. theholyfx says:

Keep in mind for you to get the referral credit and for your neighbor to get it, they have to accept certain packages and IRD combos. If they ask about a special promotion, like the free sunday ticket promo, thats not an eligible package for them to sign up and get the $10 for 10 month deal. Chances are your neighbor took a better special offer and screwed you over.

14. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yeah, my sister and i had to fight them over this in 2009. it showed up on my bill after the second month but it took 3 months to show up on hers.

15. Kime6d8 says:

DirecTv has been running this bogus promotion for far too long. I have referred a couple of new customers and followed the process through and received nothing. After spending hours on the phone trying to get my money- I gave up. They are reaping the benefit of new business but fail to fulfill their end of the deal. It is dishonest business tactics that should be stopped.