Delicious Accident Leaves Highway Covered In Cake

We’ve written plenty of stories about delicious desserts that can do damage to your system if you overindulge, but here’s one about how these treats clogged up an entirely different kind of artery.

Traffic had to be re-routed today on a section of I-74 West in Illinois after two semis collided. One of them was carrying frozen food and the accident resulted in the highway being littered with chocolate cake and cinnamon rolls.

Our favorite part of the AP story:

Oh, and the two drivers were injured and taken to a nearby hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening.

Cinnamon rolls, chocolate cake on roadway snarl traffic after crash on Ill. interstate [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. NarcolepticGirl says:

Link is not working

2. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

We got have eaten our way through this problem, ya know ?

I guess it beats getting vienna sausages or salchichon in the mail.

3. The Brad says:

Was the other truck carrying paper plates and plastic forks?

4. CalicoGal says:
  5. finbar says:

Were any cans of Goya beans found amoung the wreckage?

6. WarOtter - I went to Japan and all I got was this tumor. says:

Wasp, stop setting traps for cake trucks!

7. Tunnen says:

I don’t know why, but all I can think of right now are other semi-collision combinations that might be fun (In fantasy, not in reality).

Like a truck with ice-cream meets a truck carrying root beer.
    Or a beer truck meets a pretzel carrying truck.
    Or to really see a fast response by the police force, an accident between a truck carrying doughnuts and one carrying hot coffee… =P

• nodaybuttoday says:

they did a skit on Family Guy about a chocolate truck colliding with a peanut butter truck… and then Officer Reese’s comes along :)

• crispyduck13 says:

Bacon truck meets maple syrup truck. Bonus: everything gets sticky.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

There actually was a collision of a truck carrying chicken and one carry BBQ sauce on the GW Bridge (about 30 years ago); whether or not there was a subsequent fire has been the subject of debate.

• SmokeyBacon says:

A couple years ago there was another truck accident around here (I am in Illinois) that caused beer to spill all over the highway. I guess Illinois is a magnet for delcious things spilling on its highways.

8. nodaybuttoday says:

erm… I’d like to volunteer for clean-up please :)

9. LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

I think this story is in poor taste.

10. PercyChuggs Was Found At JFK Airport says:

Somewhere, I imagine Jenny Cupcakes driving down the road on a street sweeper with a mulch bag attached to it.

11. crispyduck13 says:

“Police say troopers were initially told that burritos were among the food on the roadway, but they later determined that was wrong.”

They later added: “That cake was fucking delicious.”

12. scoosdad says:

I hope the insurance companies for the two trucks here are more on top of where and how the contents are disposed of than in this case involving lobsters on the highway from 2008:

The story circulating around these parts is that allegedly a lot of police and first responders that day had lots of seafood on their tables at home after the accident.

This one is going to court sometime in 2012 with charges of larceny for a tow truck owner and the owner of the restaurant where he allegedly delivered the lobsters:

The tow truck owner’s company also lost its contract with AAA somewhere along the way. Of course there was no connection to this at all.

13. bender123 says:

All I can think of is the Simpsons episode, where Homer finds the sugar truck accident and steals all the sugar (with glass shards).

Quickly! To the beemobile!

14. cete-of-badgers says:

I am not far from there! BRB, gonna look into this. /grabs fork and milk on the way out.

15. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Nom.

16. Nick says:

Truck was going to Aperture Laboratories.

17. maubs says:

Passed by this on my way to work. All the flashing lights on the dark highway looked like someone had set up a carnival or something. The eerie thing about it was all of the semis behind the accident idling because there was no room to turn around. Looked like an honor guard for a semi funeral.

18. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Also, why has no one posted ‘Let them eat cake!’?

19. IgnoramusEtIgnorabimus says:

Meh, too far to be fun, saddest part of all, most of that food is simply discarded as noone will sign for it and by the time insurance looks at it it will be full of maggots and inedible

20. El_Fez says:

Wait – it was the burrito that was the lie? The cake was not a lie? You mean Internet Memes are WRONG?

21. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Did they also find Mr Mayhem swimming amongst the cakes and cinnamon rolls?

22. SmokeyBacon says:

Cool, now I have a new excuse to use when I am running late – sorry there was cake all over the road. We used to use a chicken truck as our excuse (you didn’t hear? chickens everywhere – running around and causing chaos! We tried to help gather them up – one laid an egg on me!)

23. Geekybiker says:

The cake is a lie.

24. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I hate to see accidents. These things never happen where I live. Man, I’d love to score some free cake!

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Ugh no edit button!! I meant to say that I hate to see accidents, but if they do happen, I wish cake would appear here. It never does. Always pipes or freight of some kind that isn’t interesting or worth helping to “clean up”.

25. Me - now with more humidity says:

If only they’d then been hit by a milk truck…

26. StarKillerX says:

The cake is a lie!

27. Rebecca K-S says:

I had to deal with this on my way to class today, though fortunately I was headed east. It was pretty terrifying. It’s been a long time since I saw a pair of semis messed up like that. The frozen food one was literally ripped open.

28. FrugalFreak says:

Send candidates out there, they want their cake and to eat it too.

29. RulesLawyer says:

The cake is a lying on I-74 West.

30. Jonesey says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!