BlackBerry Services Rebound From Outage

The service outage that’s screwed up BlackBerry Messenger and Internet browsing is on the outs. BlackBerry overlord Research in Motion says it’s getting services back online.

On a blog post, the RIM Chief Information Officer issued an apology:

I want to first apologize for the service interruptions and delays many of you have been experiencing this week. I also wanted to connect with you directly, give you an update on the service issues we are trying to solve, and answer some of the questions and concerns you’ve expressed.

You’ve depended on us for reliable, real-time communications, and right now we’re letting you down. We are taking this very seriously and have people around the world working around the clock to address this situation. We believe we understand why this happened and we are working to restore normal service levels in all markets as quickly as we can.

For U.S. customers, email systems are back online and the company is clearing backlogged messages. The company says browsing services are up and it has a team investigating BlackBerry Messenger delays.

BlackBerry Service Update [RIM via Engadget]

Previously: BlackBerry Outage: Can I Get Reimbursed?

Comments

1. mrsam says:

Oh, they’re taking it very seriously! I’m so relieved. For a moment there, I was worried that they didn’t give a crap. But now, knowing that they’re taking this very seriously, I have a warm, fuzzy, glowing feeling that everything is going to be all right.

It’s so nice seeing a company taking things very seriously, these days.

2. osiris73 says:

I know one person who still uses a Blackberry. We mock him relentlessly.
    I know when I was more involved in the corporate world, larger corporations would force Blackberrys upon us. Very few of us liked them and were forced to carry two phones. Does anyone, of their own volition, choose to carry a Blackberry these days?

• Moosie74 says:

Yes I willingly carry one and use it. I don’t want a phone to play games or music or any thing like that. I want something I can communicate with, get email and web access and calendaring on.

I have no interest in an Iphone and will use my BB until it dies.

• vastrightwing says:

Try Android. Unlike BB, Android has no single point of failure. I can’t understand why BB uses their own servers to control everything. This causes these massive outages all the time. It’s not like this is the first, second or even third disruptive outage they’ve had.

So yea, my Android communicates fine to our private Exchange server using any network: T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc. No problem. Sure I can play games on my phone, but I don’t. I even like the Swype interface for entering text. Works faster than fat fingering tiny buttons.

• FLConsumer says:

You’re obviously not in NYC. It’s pretty much a Blackberry (if you work for a living), or an iPhone (you either work in publishing/arts, or are a lazy-ass protester down at Zuccotti park). Not much droid activity. Down in Florida, it’s a bit of everything. More droid than iPhones, very few Blackberries. Retirees prefer the Jitterbug phones anyway.

For the record, I’ve yet to see one of these Occupy Wall Street protesters with a Blackberry. But they all have iPhones and many have iPads. Now if they just had the iIntelligence to realize they’re not iEntitiled to everything, make they’d go get iJobs and make some real (not i) money.

3. rpm773 says:

37 people have been very pissed off the last two days!

One of them being my wife.

• vastrightwing says:

Get an Android phone. Works on all carriers, connects to your enterprise mail server no problem. Next time RIM’s network fails for days, you’ll be grinning as you surf the net.

4. SiD says:

Live and let learn….

5. marillion says:

I would be a lot of us still have them as our work phones. I’ve had various BBerries over the years for work and there’s no indication that we’ll be using anything else.. Other than this major service problem, I’ve got no complaints. I do miss the old version with the track wheel on the side, however… It was a tank that stood up to punishment a lot better than my current version. I’m in the field a lot at fires and forest-related events, and tend to punish my phone pretty badly.

• MJDickPhoto says:

I used the 7100T myself, I agree, especially after it was hit by a floor buffer at a grocery store, thrown 30 foot, and all it did was put 1 scratch and move the cursor on my email. Picked it up, dusted it off, finished my email and sent. LOVED that phone.

6. MJDickPhoto says:

I moved my entire family from Nokia to BB phones, but I’m the only one with cell data, everyone else uses the WiFi system. I was only effected when I wasn’t near a WiFi system. we use it for the great UMA platform they put in the phone, not the data features. if you lookup UMA reliability, the BB still is on top of the market there, though the rest is starting to lag with the newer data phone market.