Use The Free Consumerist Tipster App To Send Us Photos Straight From Your iPhone

A few of you have already noticed that we recently released an early version of our new Consumerist Tipster app for iPhone. So, even though it’s still a work in progress, we figured it was time to let everyone know about it.

Tipster provides a free, fun, and simple way to send photos us any scams, rip-offs, shoddy products, deals, hilarious signs or freebies you might come across during your travels.

Just take the photo, add a comment and tell us your level of irritation/frustration/amusement (see the helpful icons below).
consumerist_anger_icons_052011a.png

Your image and text will be sent directly to the editors for review.

Keep in mind that Tipster is a work in progress. Some features we’d like to add in future versions include Flickr intergration and an Android version. So now is the time to test it out, tell us what functionality you’d like to see in future updates.

Consumerist Tipster [iTunes Store]

Comments

1. IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

I am genuinely excited about this.

2. Blueskylaw says:

I have sent in many tips on (important) consumer related issues, yet none of them ever made it on because they didn’t deal with receipt checks at Walmart or Best Buy.

• frank64 says:

+1 Me too.

A non-news Walmart story trumps everything.

• dragonfire81 says:

I was about to make a comment to the effect of “won’t this just result in more good tips that never get posted?” but wasn’t sure if it would get me in trouble or not. Seeing what you posted, I’ll go ahead with it.

• Jane_the_cynic says:

+1 me three

• LisaES98 says:

Yup, I hear you – me too. Shame I’m starting to have some doubts about Consumerist.

3. RubyRedJess says:

What is this iPhone you speak of?

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

EXACTLY THIS. Not everyone has an smart phone.

This weekend I was car shopping and wound up at a Toyota dealer, and the only info on the cars was a barcode on the window, and “scan this with (app name) for more info”. And, none of the salesmen came out to help me.

If they can print a barcode, why not a sheet of paper with the info?

I did buy a Toyota. But not from them.

• Schmoozer says:

More importantly than being a generation behind is that Consumerist seems to favor the iPhone. Though I have no data to back it up, I would imagine most user of this site perfer Android or BB over an expensive Steve Jobs brand.

• ban-annie says:

Obviously that dealership should recognize that smart phones still need to be used as a supplement to actual customer service and it’s a shame that they failed to recognize that, but if Consumerist has the ability to utilize a smart phone as another means of communication with it’s readers, why not? Just because not everybody has one doesn’t mean they shouldn’t capitalize on this as well.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Don’t forget to superimpose a picture of your favorite cat pic before sending.

5. umbriago says:

You know, not all of us slavishly worship at the altar of Apple. Hint hint.

• pop top says:

Some features we’d like to add in future versions include Flickr intergration and an Android version.”

Hint hint.

• FirePuff says:

You know, not all of us slavishly worship at the altar of Apple or Android. Hint hint.

webOS for life! (Or at least it’s life. *insert Sprint/webOS begbegbeg here*)

• sixsevenco says:

Don’t forget Windows Phone!

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Actually, most people prefer to forget Windows Phones. Maybe Microsoft should buy out both Nokia and RIM. Then they made stand a chance against Apple and Google in this market. But even then, I still doubt it.

• sixsevenco says:

Wow, I didn’t expect to find a fanboy troll here. Most people that post here use logic and reason in their thinking. But since you opened the door…

There have been multiple analyst predictions that WP7 will overtake ios in marketshare. Developer interest in WP7 is very high. Microsoft is agressively updating and improving this product. Even tech blogs like Engadget, which as always had a very pro-apple/anti-MS slant, has given very positive reviews of WP7. You can keep your blinders on and stick to your brand loyalities, but MS is back in the smartphone market in a big way.

What’s especially silly about a comment like this, is that all consumers from all platforms benefit from strong competition in the market. For example, Apple has already announce “new” features of ios 5 that have already been present in my Windows Phone since last november.

• BD2008 says:

But many of us do. ;)

6. RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Those icons look like mutant Pokeballs. I approve. XD

7. SomeWhiteGuy says:

I like the use of the Consumer Reports dots. Holding out for the Android version… also I hope you’ve hired many more editors to take in the insane amount of junk tips that will be coming through this app.

8. lvdave says:

When’s the Android version coming out, for those of us who don’t care for Jobs’ stuff??

• dwhole says:

Agreed. I hate when companies say things like, “Use your smartphone!” And by smartphone, they mean iPhone. I know it was stated properly here, but I’m just saying. No Jobs’ crap here. For shame Consumerist, for shame.

9. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Mike Wazowski, is that your brother, Red?

10. Astranger says:

no link to the app? Now I have to spend a minute looking it up.

Damn my attention span!

11. Goatweed says:

no android, no care.

12. rbb says:

I would much rather have the ability to edit my comments that an iphone app.

13. Bagumpity says:

I will send photos you soon!

14. VouxCroux says:

No Android app? You guys suck.

15. brianisthegreatest says:

This is great. I will love to use this.

16. PLATTWORX says:

Um it’s 2011 and there are just as many or more Android devices being activated then iPhones. Any company that launches an app for iPhone without Andoid being available at the same time is short sighted or disorganized. Enough said.

• Mxx says:

considering this is a free effort but a limited number of people, it does not “require” a simultaneous multi-platform launch. they already stated that they are working on android version.
      keep your arrogant pants on and unbunch your knickers.

17. Mxx says:

please make company directory usable in offline mode rather than just opening your webpage..

18. Mxx says:

I don’t understand the purpose of the 1st character…the other ones I got, but not the 1st one..
    any help?

19. bikeoid says:

Queue hilarious typos caused by the iPhone auto-correct.

20. PsiCop says:

Of course no Android version. It’s not a hip enough platform.

21. Frnt242 says:

No Android?
    (btw, iPhones are for soccer moms who only text and take pics)

22. Frnt242 says:

No Android?
    (btw, iPhones are for soccer moms who only text and take pics)

23. Schmoozer says:

Anyone who has to have an iPhone is missing the point. So I’m expecting lots of pictures of long recipts.