Get $15 In Rice Krispies Cereal Class Action

You don’t have to show a proof of purchase to claim $15 in a class action lawsuit against Kellogg. Just be someone who bought Kellog’s Rice Krispies or Cocoa Krispies between June 1, 2009 and March, 1 2010.

The lawsuit contends that the cereal maker falsely advertised that the two cereals supported your immune system even though it didn’t have adequate data to back the claim.

Kellog settled a similar lawsuit last year over its Frosted Mini-Wheats, which claimed to “clinically improve kids’ attentiveness by nearly 20%.”

You can get $5 per box you bought, up to 3 boxes per household. Get and submit your online claim form, attesting under penalty of perjury that you did indeed buy the cereal, at cerealadvertisingsettlement.com.

[CerealAdvertisingSettlement.com via TopClassActions]

Comments

1. caradrake says:

I never bought into the claims that any cereal would improve my children, but we have eaten a ton of rice krispies this last year. It’s one of my favorite unsweetened cereals. I’m guessing that because I didn’t buy into all of the hype, that I’m not eligible.

Oh well. At least I get some yummy rice krispies. :)

• HoJu says:

Unsweetened?
      Ingredients: Rice, sugar, contains 2% or less of salt, malt flavoring, BHT for freshness.

• caradrake says:

I guess I should have said “lightly sweetened” – it’s not drowning in sugar like frosted flakes, corn pops, assorted marshmellow-filled cereals, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll make a bowl of corn pops disappear in record timing, but when I want something that isn’t overwhelmingly sweet, rice krispies is what I choose.

2. Hi_Hello says:

do you have to buy it with the box that has immunity on it?

What if I bought the cereal but can’t remember if it was before or after march 1, 2010 …

And what if it’s just the small box kind that you get from the cafeteria?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I can answer all three questions with: It Doesn’t Really Matter.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

In before the rant on how class actions do nothing for anyone but lawyers.

4. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

“PLEASE NOTE: Any money left over from this settlement will be donated to one or more charities. By not submitting this Claim Form you will make more money available for charitable donation. “

No pressure there . . . .

5. mobiuschic42 says:

Hmm…when I went to claim, it looked like you could claim up to 3 boxes *each* of Rice Krispies & Cocoa Krispies, so that’d be 6 boxes total for $30.

• fatediesel says:

It says you can only be compensated for buying up to 3 boxes, and in the FAQ it says the maximum you can receive is $15.

• ShinGetterPoPo says:

It also says on that page that you can have up to 3 regular or cocoa.

6. IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

“PLEASE NOTE: Any money left over from this settlement will be donated to one or more charities. By not submitting this Claim Form you will make more money available for charitable donation”

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The Loias Foundation is now misappropriating donations for your convenience.

7. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Yea, I bought 3 boxes of Rice Krispies and Cocoa Krispies between June 1, 2009 and March, 1 2010.

Yea, that’s the ticket…

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Hey, I remember when you bought those! You told me all about them. As a result, it prompted me to go buy my own three (3) boxes. Remember?

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Yea, I remember that, you were there with your wi… er , ah, the Presi… er, The Queen of England, yea…

• Diabolos needs more socks says:

With your wife, Morgan Fairchild!

8. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Rice Krispies are probably the only “plain” cereal that I really enjoy.

• KaralynK says:

Rice Krispies and Cheerios. What’s funny is I know I actually did buy some during that time because I was pregnant and craving cereal when I normally don’t eat it much at all.

9. evnmorlo says:

Award will probably be reduced because of the number of claimants.

10. tbax929 says:

I just got a $10 check from Wrigley for some sort of class action settlement that I don’t even remember doing a claim form for. It must have been a long time ago. Anyway, I won’t be joining this one. I hate milk and, therefore, never buy cereal.

• elangomatt says:

Who says you need to like milk to like cereal? I probably eat more dry cereal than I do cereal with milk.

• Peggee is deeply offended by impetulant, pernicious little snots disrespecting her and violating her personal space at Best Buy. says:

Cereal with orange juice is awesome.

11. Power Imbalance says:

I dunno for sure but I bet I’ve bought 20 boxes since June 2009…

• SagarikaLumos says:

Me, too. I probably buy a box of one of those (especially cocoa) every week or so. When I guessed the dates of purchase, there’s about a 1 in 7 chance that at least one of them was right to the day.

Whether they boost immunity or not, both Krispies are some of my favorites. Cocoa Krispies make the best chocolate milk, and Rice Krispies treats are some of the most delicious stuff ever.

12. PLATTWORX says:

I trust the person or persons who were stupid enough to actually slap these insane claims on cerial boxes were fired long long ago and remain unemployed. Idiots.

• Blueskylaw says:

He got a bonus because people bought more than 3 boxes of cereal in order to get their children well (if 1 box is good, then 20 must be better). Besides, corn and sugar are cheap.

13. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

why would you buy this in the first place? blearg

14. mavrick67 says:

I dont get the $15 because I make my own rice krispies at home . . .

15. SmokeyBacon says:

I am sure I bought rice krispies at least once in that time period – of course it is more likely for rice krispy treats then anything else. But hey, I could have gone with the non-imune supporting stuff for my treats but at the time I thought I was being more responsible probably – gotta balance out the bad part with the healthy stuff after all (and mine are super unhealthy because I add chocolate and butterscotch chips to them).

Of course reading this I now have a taste for rice krispies, which I really think was their goal all along.

16. zantafio says:

Ah darn it! If only I had bought three boxes back then, I sure could use an extra $15 right now…

• dpeters11 says:

Which you’d get sometime after November. That’s the deadline for submissions. You get the money some time after that. I have one settlement that the final hearing on approval of the settlement was held in March, and it’s been crickets since.

17. Raekwon says:

Had to be honest and only put the 2 boxes I bought to make rice krispies treats.

18. Bladerunner says:

I buy a ton of rice krispies, ’cause they’re gluten free!

• Menelly says:

Uh, no they’re not. Rice Krispies has malt in it, and malt is barley. If you’re celiac, you shouldn’t be touching Rice Krispies.

• Bladerunner says:

Well, I don’t have full blown celiac, b/c I seem to be able to do malt and oats but not wheat. One of these days I’ll go to a doctor and get an actual answer, but they cost money.

Cocoa Krispies contain: “Rice, sugar, cocoa processed with alkali, contains 2% or less of semisweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate, dextrose), partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, soybean and/or cottonseed), salt, malt flavoring, artificial flavor, BHT for freshness.” — I didn’t think malt flavoring was malt, kind of like how maple flavoring doesn’t usually have maple. But I could be wrong; like I said, malt doesn’t do much to me, so all I know is it’s tasty and doesn’t make me sick.

19. stock2mal says:

This is awesome, I bought 4 boxes to make cocoa krispy treats for Xmas of 2009. Too bad it only allows for 3 boxes :P

• Razor512 says:

don’t worry too much, most of us bought more than 3, I personally must have gotten at least 7 boxes of the stuff. (when ever it is on sale, I buy a few)

the coca krispies are one of the few that I cant get a generic of.

I try to stick with brands like malt o meal because they generally have knockoffs that taste just as good and sometimes better than the original, while at the same time, costing half as much.

currently I cant find a decent knockoff so I am stuck waiting for sales in order to get it

20. dragonfire81 says:

Just filed a claim for two boxes, Thanks Consumerist!

And before anyone slams me for that, I am a regular purchaser of Rice Krispies and I did purchase a few boxes during that time frame.

• hills says:

Me too! My husband eats coco rice krispies every day for breakfast – I don’t care about the immunity claim, as I was purchasing anyway, but I agree they need to be somewhat responsible for those crazy claims about boosting health.

21. EverCynicalTHX says:

Class actions do nothing for anyone but lawyers :)

22. Chasing Headless Chickens says:

No proof of purchase necessary. So…honor system? Wow, my moral compass is going wonky. But…I DID by Kellogg’s strawberry breakfast bars that include rice krispies. Does that count? My wonky moral compass is telling me ‘yes.’

• Chasing Headless Chickens says:

*buy (Why can’t we edit our posts?)

• Jane_Gage says:

Claim it no matter what. Money is how we make these corporations say I’m sorry. You want them to be sorry so no more children get hurt, right?

23. PossibleCabbage says:

Should I feel dishonest for filing a claim if the only reason I buy Rice Krispies is “because I like it”? I don’t actually pay any attention to claims made on the box.

24. Yorick says:

Bah. I’d rather have Cocoa Pebbles.

25. Razor512 says:

Cool, I bought a lot back this, and I still buy it, it taste good

I knew the whole immunity benefit was crap, and I don’t really care as people buy cereal for the taste, not the health.

26. MichiganWolverine2011 says:

Well I know for sure my mom bought some during this time. Her house is like a giant Rice Krispies treat during the holidays

27. CorvetteJoe says:

I should form a class action against people believing yummy sugary chocolaty fattening awesome cereal actually promotes anything healthy in the body.

Now, pass the box down here please, I’m ready for a 2nd bowl.

28. pot_roast says:

I love cocoa krispies. probably 3 boxes a month. rice krispies? probably 10 boxes in the past year, mostly for rice krispie treats. YUM

29. cybrczch says:

In the past couple of years, I’ve bought mostly mini-wheats (frosted), with a couple boxes of raisin bran and rice krispies thrown in for variety (and krispie treats). Finished my last box of rice krispies while I was recovering from surgery end of last year. Already filed my claim. GIVE ME MY FREE MONEY!!!

I’ve gotten money back from Apple for a settlement on my iPod nano (scratches) that I didn’t file because I couldn’t remember the serial no. for it (I had dropped it into a hot tub and gotten a new one by then). Guess registering it after purchase helped me there.

30. Ashman says:

Love Cocoa Krispies – My Son Calls it chocolat cereal. He enjoys a bowl now and then with me. Of course we don;t buyt it all the time, but we do always keep some on hand – Of Course if the wife would let me, I’d eat the whole box in one sitting. On Average a box will last us 2 months. Of course my Son also loves corn pops, mini wheats, cheerios, wheatbix, kix, lots of them. We only give him the sweet cereals on occassion. Though I would say I personally don’t care if it is good for you, boosts your immunity or not, If it tastes good then I will enjoy it.

31. bschaa00 says:

Why would you even post this stupid article? They will probably raise prices to offset this settlement. Its a stupid lawsuit.

32. nikalseyn says:

Another of the great American pastimes. I received some money for a suit brought against small engine manufacturers because of the way they calculated horsepower or something like that. It boiled down to a big scam by shyster lawyers, who pocketed millions in fees and only caused the price of small engines to increase in order to pay the settlement. I bought something like six riding mowers, regular lawn mowers, etc. during the time frame and got about $50 just recently. Now, as a result of this nonsense, when I go to buy something with a small gas engine, it is in cubic centimeters, not horsepower. I am lost as I and most americans do not use or need metric crap. We grew up using horsepower, not euroweenie nonsense. We all knew what a 5 h.p. engine was and did not care if it was “really” only 4.9 horse. All we see on the telly now are ads by shysters wanting to help you get money because the evil drug companies deformed you or you are a victim of mesothelioma, etc. What hogwash!! Remember what Dick, the butcher said in Henry VI.

33. Peter Valencia says:

I did really buy the cereal (seriously!, no really I am not lying to get free money.) and will have $15 soon! This will help get me a free GoPhone! because I left Verizon (see the New Verizon post I submitted!) Consumerist newbie turned into a Consumerist Pro?

34. HogwartsProfessor says:

I didn’t buy it; I got the cheapo ALDI kind. It would be perjury for me to say I did.

The krispies are a lie!

35. shibotu says:

Thanks!

I just remembered many years ago I filled out a similar claim. This was even before the internet so I had to mail it and I don’t think I ever got a check. But I don’t even remember the company now. Hope this check comes through.

36. RiverStyX says:

Just got mine in the mail today, anybody else?