Newsprint-Scented Candle Kindles Nostalgia Without Ink-Stains

If you’re nostalgic for the days when print ruled the world, but don’t want to be bothered with actual newspapers, the late designer Tobias Wong’s “Times of New York” candle, inspired by The New York Times, may be for you.

According to Project No. 8, “Wong proposed producing a candle with the fragrance of newsprint inspired by The New York Times, an institution he greatly admired.”

Various Projects and Josée Lepage of Bondtoo were close collaborators and friends of Wong’s. We have realized his Times of New York candle in a limited edition of 1000.

The scent of the candle is newsy, with hints of guaiacwood, cedar, musk, and spice. Characterized by “a powdery note and velvet nuance,” the scent is meant to mimic the aroma of black ink on newsprint.

The limited edition candle goes for $65, which could buy a 12-week subscription to The New York Times. But we really don’t recommend burning those.

Tobias Wong’s The Times of New York candle [Project No. 8 via PSFK]

Comments

1. JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

CUPCAKE-SCENTED CANDLES OR GTFO

2. JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Also: What does Tobias Funke’s signature candle smell like?

3. Chasing Headless Chickens says:

Can I get a wine glass that simulates the black smudges I get all over it when I read the paper whilst sipping a mimosa?

• Rhinoguy says:

Yes. To make smudges just hold your fingers over a smoking candle flame until they turn black. Transfer smudges to glass. Spray with clear Krylon so you don’t have to repeat procedure. Wine glass will NOT be dishwasher safe, even on the top rack.

4. Doubting thomas says:

So the smell of fire and paper together is supposed to relax me how?

• Slave For Turtles says:

This.

• Chasing Headless Chickens says:

I want one that smells like I left the pilot light on in the stove.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Something like that would flip me into full-on OCD. I can totally see my sister buying one and hiding it in the house while watching me go nuts and laughing her ass off before revealing the secret.

(this makes her sound mean; she isn’t at all, but we do prank each other often)

• The Porkchop Express says:

it makes you think you’re getting a big insurance check?

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Reminds me of when school let out for summer.

• The Twilight Clone says:

If the scent doesn’t relax you, knowing that you paid $65 for that scent ought to relax you.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

$65 and you wonder why print media is dying…

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

I agree… ridiculous. I’ve been known to spend too much on candles before but no way in hell I’d spend $65 for this crap.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I already think the $25-30 Yankee Candles and the like are insane.

Grocery store has them for 1/5 that price. Same size. Just limited scents.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

That’s why you get them at the semi-annual sale. It pays to be patient. :)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

WHEN?! I don’t pay attention, nor do I go into many stores.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

It’s every June and after Xmas. Are there any scents that you particularly enjoy?

Personally, I’m a huge fan of Bath and Body Works candles. They go on sale often and they last a long time. Their scent throw also beats Yankee Candle’s pants off.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

A lot of scents really. My body seems to like aroma therapy. Or maybe I just demand too much sensory input.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

They generally don’t have a lot of the tried-and-true favorites on sale (like Macintosh, Buttercream, etc) but they will have a lot of seasonal offerings. They also have some old scents available, but you’ll have to really look for those.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Actually, they have the semi-annual sale going on now, online and in-store. Let me know if you need a coupon, I have a few I can email to you.

6. Clyde Barrow says:

Here’s one for us older folk. Back in the day our teachers would make copies of our exams, notes, and we’d all smell the copy when she handed it to us because it smelled “good”. I could never explain what that smell “smelled” like but it is close to the old school blue print machines that used ammonia. I know that sounds weird but everyone liked that smell. Not sure an ammonia candle would sell well.

• MauriceCallidice says:
    • Bativac says:

You’ll never see this reply, but I went to high school in the mid-to-late 1990s and my math teacher had one of those machines. I remember the smell vividly. That teacher was in her 60s at the time so I assume it was a machine she’d had for years.

• Keter says:

That’s a mimeograph machine…the duplicating fluid contained solvents that smelled sweet and fresh copies still retained enough volatiles to induce a mild buzz.

• dailyshow_addict says:

i remember back in kindergarten we had these clipboards that smelled EXACTLY like honey grahams on the back. nobody but one single friend agreed with me and it was the BEST smell ever. how it happenned, i can not fathom.

7. MauriceCallidice says:

So it smells like the death throes of a once-proud industry?

8. Keter says:

Newsprint makes me sneeze. Wonder if this candle will, too? Not buying it just to find out. One thing is for sure, when we get nostalgic for our e-editions, everyone will be able to make a candle for that: unscented.

9. PortlandBeavers says:

I helped out on someone’s Sunday paper route once a week many years ago. I sat in the back of a van either stuffing them into bags or throwing them out the side when the driver called out. The first week, the smell of all those newspapers damn near made me puke. I got used to it eventually but I never liked it after that. I think I’ll pass.

10. RogueWarrior65 says:

Considering that it’s supposed to smell like the New York Times, it must have that distinctive bullsh*t fragrance.