Best Buy Customers Beware: Another Email Security Breach

Remember just a few weeks ago when that email breach hit Best Buy, Kroger, TiVo, Walgreens and on and on? Well it seems the breach-y good times aren’t over yet, at least for Best Buy. The company has sent out another warning email to customers about a new leak.

Consumerist reader Howard forwarded the email on to us, which indicates that a third party finagled itself into a former Best Buy partner’s system, snatching up email addresses. Hopefully, that’s all they got.

It reads:

Dear Valued Best Buy Customer,

We have discovered that a former business partner’s files containing the email addresses of some Best Buy customers were accessed without authorization. For your security, we wanted to call this matter to your attention.

We believe the only information taken was your email address, and that no other information was accessed. We do not believe that Best Buy was specifically targeted in this breach. We are continuing to investigate the situation, and are working closely with the appropriate officials to explore all possibilities.

We ask that you remain alert to incoming emails. Please be very cautious when opening links or attachments, even if they seem to come from legitimate sources. If you hover your cursor over a hotlink in an email and the URL that pops up makes you uncomfortable, it’s probably best not to click on that site. We encourage you to visit http://www.ftc.gov/idtheft or http://www.staysafeonline.org for additional information about how to safeguard your personal data.

Remember: Best Buy will never ask you to provide or confirm any information, including credit card numbers, unless you are on our secure e-commerce site, http://www.bestbuy.com, or call us directly to place an order. If you receive an email asking for personal information, delete it. It did not come from Best Buy.

We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information and improve our data security procedures on an ongoing basis. If you have concerns, please contact Best Buy at privacymanager@bestbuy.com.

Sincerely,

Barry Judge
Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer
Best Buy

Remember to always keep a close eye on your emails, and don’t give up your passwords or other secure information to anyone.

Previously: Email Breach Hits Best Buy, TiVo, Walgreens, Chase, Kroger, Many More

Comments

1. Marlin says:

best Buy, classy as always.

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Well, two security breaches in a short span. This should secure their Worst Company in America slot, as it’s twice as many oil spill as BP was a part of.

• nbs2 says:

While I agree that BoA was a better selection for WCIA than BP, even I think your comment is a bit presumptuous in equating what may turn out to be a minor breach to that particular spill.

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

And last year was BP’s safest year yet!

• Hoss says:

The shit will hit the fan when these addresses come ashore on Nantuckett

3. RiverStyX says:

Well, you get what you pay for, all outsourcing-jokes aside. These notices of breaching and breaking-in’s by incompetent partners shouldn’t even be news anymore. The high cost of low prices has to come from somewhere, y’know..Oh, Best Buy isn’t about low prices, they’re just low.

And I hope they aren’t implying that a url that makes me feel uncomfortable yet turns me on is somehow bad.

4. shinseiromeo says:

THIS is EXACTLY why I would NEVER give them my drivers license # and ALL of my personal information to get a price adjustment or to return a brand new sealed item with receipt. This info is stored by a third party company, the same as which target uses to track their customers as well.

Why isn’t this even illegal? It is in the state of CA, isn’t it?

5. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

People need to either make their own email addresses at home or use a trusted email company with unlimited aliases when dealing with the likes of BB.

6. 12341223 says:

Ok, so at what point does either a) a massive lawsuit happen to these companies (both store and partner) who allow this information to so casually escape their grasps or b) the government step in, fine these companies, and say enough. No more data mining!

7. JlGomez says:

Mine u I hate bestbuy.. but im not sure if this is real because on the last one I received an email.. but this time I did not.. and also like last time it wasnt just bestbuy I also received from HSN and others.. Like i said I hate Bestbuy but why didnt I receive an email..I feel left out…

8. MadConsumer says:

No this is not all they got. At the beginning of April, I received a text message on my phone stating that I had won a $1000 Gift card from Best Buy due to my recent purchase. The last time I purchased anything on line or in the store from them was in February 2010. It was a scam I called Best Buy customer service who told me that they knew of the scam. I asked how did they get my cell phone number? She did not know. Best Buy owes us an apology.