Employers Hired 187k Employees In Jan, 47k More Than Expected

Private employers hired 187,000 new employees in January, according to data released today by ADP. This was 47,000 more than economists expected. The number comes in advance of Friday’s Labor Department jobs report. [Marketwatch]

Comments

1. eccsame says:

Seems like a pretty big margin – a 47,000 difference would get you fired if you were guessing weights at a carnival.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s not a 47,000 difference, it’s a 33.6% difference. If you’re going to use “difference” use a quantifiable value that has meaning to the situation.

For example, no weight-guessing carnie would be off by 47,000 pounds, but could be 33% off.

2. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

187,000 new employees? As in, good paying full-time jobs with benefits, or minimum wage part-time temps?

3. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

That’s great – but watch, it’ll be short of what the market actually wanted / expected, so the stocks will STILL go down. Because 6 million in profit and almost 200k jobs *just isn’t enough*

4. SonicPhoenix says:

I really wish they’d include the breakdown of part-time vs. full time and the wage category distribution along with these numbers.

It doesn’t necessarily help if we lost 3 million high-paying/middle-class jobs then gained back 3 million low-paying service industry jobs…

But since these numbers don’t include those statistics I can’t say for certain one way or the other.

5. tBone says:

Laid off June 2010. Throughout the balance of 2010, 97 resumes sent out, one interview. YTD, three interviews, one offer yesterday that I am ambivalent about. I am preparing for an interview this AM for a position offering almost the same salary as I lost, way better benefits, shorter commute. Just my anecdotal evidence, but couple it with talking to others at the UI office, I believe that things are looking up, both in the number and quality of positions opening. Wish me luck today!

6. Jemish says:

Sort of makes sense though, people would have generally waited until after the holiday season to lead into more hires. Depending on the job and on boarding style, no one wants to be doing those things over conflicting schedules through the end of November- January 1.

• Maxamus says:

People don’t “wait”. Companies don’t hire from Thanksgiving to the end of the year, unless it is just seasonal help for the holidays.

• Bibliovore says:

Maybe that’s the case for retail, but my employer, a software company, has hired a number of people since Thanksgiving.

7. Thyme for an edit button says:

I started a new job in January. It only goes until the end of July and I have no health insurance. Still a good job and happy to be working. Worried I won’t find something permanent though.

• areaman says:

The up side is if the jobs landscape turns upward between now and this summer, initial pay could be higher.

8. Bryan Price says:

Didn’t ADP’s figure go way over the Labor Department’s figures last month?

187,000 is barely enough to keep up with our population increase, regardless if you go with the low of 130,000 that some claim we need or if you go with the 200,000 that others claim.

We need to be seeing 300K+ per month being hired to make any kind of dent in our unemployment.

I’m trying to be positive and think that we’ll get out of this malaise one way or another, but how we get there is something that I haven’t a clue about.

9. Maxamus says:

Too bad you need at least 200,000 jobs a month just to keep up with the expansion of population. i.e. anything under 200k and you are still losing jobs.

10. dragonfire81 says:

but were they mostly lower wage positions?

11. Consumeristing says:

The actual BLS report comes out on Friday. The last time ADP did this, they reported 300,000 job gain. The official count showed only 100,000.

12. waters511 says:

I bet they’re also counting people temporarily employed for the tax season….

13. operator207 says:

The company I work for is responsible for some of this. We hire ~20 new employees a week. Sometimes we hire as many as 60 a week. I know this, as I build out all the laptops for new hires. I know we are not bleeding too many employees (maybe 1-5 a month) as I am also responsible for the laptops when an employee is let go. This week, with the Snowpocolypse (sp?), we only hired 12.

This is in the Tech industry, hiring anyone from an exec. assistant, to an IT Dev. and literally anything in between.

I am sure at some point we will “trim the fat” but the recruiters are getting us some pretty lean people in here, very little fat to trim so far.