Track Your Tax Return Status With IRS2Go App

The IRS has an official app called “IRS2Go” for iOS and Android that lets you keep track of your tax return’s status after you’ve filed it.

To log in, you have to punch in your Social Security # and the amount of refund you expect to get back. Then it tells you what the status of your refund is and to make sure the IRS has accepted your return after you file it.

Meh. Not super amazing, all it does is port over an existing IRS web page feature, but it’s nice to see the gubmit getting more “appy.”

Unfortunately there is no function for “ABOLISH IRS, LIVE OFF THE GRID AS SOVEREIGN CITIZEN OF MY BUNKER STATE.” Sorry, people who would like that.

IRS2Go [iTunes App Store]
IRS2Go [AppBrain]

Comments

1. Alvis says:

I don’t understand why smartphone users hate web browsers so much. This app just duplicates IRS website function.

• seth_lerman says:

I don’t hate using the web browser on my Android phone. But with the limited screen size of a smartphone (vs. a laptop or desktop monitor) an app typically is easier to use as it reduces clutter and is sized to the screen being used.

• Etoiles says:

Yeah. I’m fine with web browsing with my phone on sites that have a mobile version — m.whatever.com. But many sites don’t have a mobile-friendly version and if they can’t create one (sometimes it’s just not a good idea to dump resources into that) then I’d rather have an app for the one or two functions that I’d be really going to the site for most often. Everything else I can take care of from a real computer.

• UnicornMaster says:

It’s all about optimizing the website for the screensize. If you can do that, you don’t need an app. But a dedicated app is nice for a focused task.

• Rena says:

Because apps can run code with higher privileges, to do things like access your personal data… </tinfoil hat>

2. Rebecca K-S says:

An app that tells me the status of my missing W-2 and 1099s would be way more exciting.

3. Thalia says:

Given the documented lack of security on the Android & the iPhone, I’d not put my SSN into an application like this. Anyone know if they disclose the type of encryption being used?

• squirrel says:

Sure, they use the most advanced ROT-26 encryption.

Actually, they use SSL encryption for web data just like desktop browsers do. At least iOS does, and It would be a sure bet that Android and Blackberry’s OS do the same.

• Thalia says:

Sure, when the data is being sent, but you’ve read about how applications get your data without your permissions, right? How is it stored on the phone itself?

4. sonneillon says:

So I know minute by minute how much the IRS is going to screw me? For some reason that is not much comfort.

5. Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

This is why out government is spending my money on? WTF! People cant take their lazy ass to a computer and phone and get the same?

• Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

OOPS….

*This is what our government is spending our money on? WTF! People cant take their lazy ass to a computer or landline phone and get the same?

• Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

And I should note, IT MUST BE NICE TO GET A REFUND!!!! IRS is going to tear me a new ass this year.

6. samandiriel says:

Strikes me as a marvellous way for the government to pull extra data, like your geolocation, etc, depending on what permissions the app asks for. Could be a nice trojan for an intelligence agency back door, too.

Mmmm, sweet sweet paranoia!

• Silverhawk says:

Well, the permissions for the Android app are:

*directly call phone numbers (probably to offer to dial an IRS field office from within the app)
      *full internet access

That’s it. Doesn’t request coarse/fine GPS data or read your contacts, etc.

I suppose it could be a trojan for an intelligence agency, but then, why would they need an IRS app to gain access to your phone/data?

• samandiriel says:

I just like paranoia. It’s more fun that way, and when I am right I get extra glee from being able to say “I told you so”!

7. TasteyCat says:

What’s a refund?

8. suburbancowboy says:

I am really starting to dislike this “app-centric” view of computing. If I had an app for every website I view daily, and every small computing function I did once in a while, like check a UPS shipment etc., I would have 50 pages of apps. I could scroll through 20 pages of apps, or I could go to my browser, and go through my bookmarks which are logically arranged in alphabetical order if I choose.

9. Jimmy37 says:

What a waste of government money. They are clueless about using social media and smartphones. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

I have better things to do with my time, memory and bandwidth than to constantly check to see if my tax return is coming. Since I can’t do anything about it, I can wait til I get home to check through my browser, or just wait.

10. slenner says:

This app is nothing more than a service that replaces making a call to the IRS to find out when you will receive your tax refund and substantially reduces your waiting on hold time on your phone from an hour to a few clicks. It is good that the IRS is making a first step to make it easy for us to connect to them. They have also made significant strives to make it easy for us to file our taxes, especially if you have income under $58,000. If you do, then you may be able to prepare and e-file your income tax return for free. There are also least 100 websites that let you e-file both for free and for less than what you would pay to a preparer. If you are able search on Google or complete a loan application or college application for yourself or child, then you may be able to prepare your own tax return on line for free.This works only if you have a simple tax return. If you want to read my quick reviews on 4 well know online tax preparation services, then click here. http://www.1040easyonline.com