Sony Will Make Games For Android Phones, Sequelize PSP

Nintendo has a stranglehold on handheld gaming and Apple dominates mobile phone games, but Sony is fighting back hard on both fronts, releasing a flurry of pint-sized gaming announcements Thursday.

The gaming giant unveiled a store for Android games and will stop releasing incremental PSP upgrades in order to unleash a sexy beast codenamed the NGP.

The device will feature two analog sticks, connect to a 3G network (in some versions of the device), boast a touchscreen on its backside and do away entirely with the old UMD discs PSP games ran on. Instead, gamers will download or buy memory sticks that include new games. Sony didn’t announce a price or release date, but spitballed that the NGP will come out during the holiday season.

The PlayStation Suite, which will hock touchscreen-modified games from the original PlayStation, will run on phones that support Android 2.3 or higher. There was still no announcement about the rumored PSP Phone, but that could come as early as next month.

What do you think about the company’s new direction?

The Complete Guide To Sony’s Next, Big Portable PlayStation [Kotaku]

Sony reveals PlayStation Suite framework, store for Android gaming [Engadget]

Comments

1. MutantMonkey says:

New direction? This is their second hand-held device and they are expanding how they work with the hand-held market. What is the new direction?

• Beeker26 says:

Considering they all but abandoned the PSP platform and now have an interest in releasing games for *other* platforms, I’d say that’s a pretty new direction for them.

• MutantMonkey says:

How did they abandon the PSP? Looking through Amazon and GameStop, there were a large number of games released last year and a decent number being shown for this year?

I guess people definitions of “abandon” are about as accurate as “new”.

• Beeker26 says:

And how many of those games are from Sony? Did you know that Dreamcast games were still being made for the console long after Sega abandoned it? The existence of games doesn’t mean the platform is getting any support from the manufacturer. After the PSP Go went nowhere Sony pretty much put the brakes on the PSP.

And I’m thinking you really don’t want my definition of jackass.

• MutantMonkey says:

Do are aware that Sony sells licenses to every game that is sold on the PSP. Without those licenses, developers and publishers like EA wouldn’t have nearly the number of titles on the system.

For for SOE games, you mean the likes of EyE Pet, God of War, Invizimals, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3, MLB the Show, Wipeout, Pulse, Pursuit Force, NBA 10? I’m not going to sit here and list every game for you. I’m sure you can find your way around Amazon.

• Beeker26 says:

Believe what you want. If you think the PSP is a healthy thriving platform then you’re much more delusional than I already thought. Assuming you know how to use Google, try “abandon PSP” and see how many companies have dropped the platform and how many reputable sites have suggested Sony do the same after the disastrous PSP Go failure.

And of the games on your list, how many of them are actually worth playing? A few are garbage titles that are for the crappy camera, others are crappy sequels, some are 2-3 years old and/or not made by Sony. There are one or two good ones, but that’s hardly indicative of a healthy product.

• MutantMonkey says:

So I give you proof that the PSP market is still alive in the 1st party sense and you drop more arbitrary requirements to try and disprove my evidence.

Look at any console and compare the crap to the good. It’s always a significant minority that are considered playable.

In any case, lets say they have abandoned the platform, that in no way shape or form shows that Sony is moving in a new direction. They are taking their existing experience in the handheld market and are expanding it with a new offering.

Expansion is not the same as a new direction.

• kujospam says:

The one thing that made the psp go great is after it become hackable. I still buy legal games, but now I can play my super nes, sega, and gameboy games on there. Plus other homebrew stuff. and the 16gb, plus another 16 stick makes for lots of room. But they did basically abandon the psp.

Most psp games I can’t get on my psp go unless if I were to download it illegally. Sony just isn’t selling them, and if they don’t sell them, you can’t buy it anywhere else. I’m lucky if they release one new game a week. If you look at any other gaming system, or even just the Iphone, there are 5+ game a week that come out. Sure not all of them are great, but when you only get one a week and it turns out not be a great game, it’s like no games came out for it at all.

Gaming is my huge hobby along with computer hardware. I like the direction they are going, and if they open up the NPG OS for homebrew, the system will take off even at 300 dollars a unit.

2. ReaperRob says:

I can’t wait for the NGP, I’m not impressed by its 3d competition.

• Twonkey says:

I’m very much impressed with the 3DS, but I’ll also be buying an NGP as well. As a huge nerd, there’s room in my heart for both. My wallet may suffer, but my wallet is sort of a bitch anyway.

3. MattO says:

gotta say, this sounds intriguing. as a PS3 owner, i could see myself getting a portable system if there was one with enough processing power to be really nice, and one that would keep me occupied when in boring situations. HOWEVER, being able to play on my droid would be even better :-)

4. Judah says:

I don’t like the double analog sticks… give me a multi-directional fingerpad. On a handheld, the sticks break easily and get caught on fabrics and random things. I’ve been playing portables since the gameboy and small protruding parts are bad design.

5. horns says:

Waste of an effort IMO. PSP is a dead platform and both Nintendo and Apple have a lot of momentum going for them.

6. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Let’s see how long it takes to hack this, and how long it is before Sony disables features in the name of anti-piracy. I’m also not a fan of downloaded games – I want something I can hold in my hands, to buy / sell / trade as I please when I become bored with it. At least you can buy games on their overpriced proprietary memory sticks.

Sony makes wonderful things and then screws their customers with silly lock downs, pointless upgrades that only disable desirable functions. I love my PSP 3000 series but I know it’s capable os so much more – people that have hacked the PSP have proven that.

Sony, you can do so much better than this. As for me, I’m hanging on to my PS2 and PSP, and not going for your newer products. The PS2 is the best selling game machine ever, they still make them and new games are still being made for it. I can get used PS2 games for dirt cheap, and since you’ve left UMD discs out of both this machine and the PSPgo, I’m looking forward to a price drop in used UMD based games.

• Chris J. Stone says:

They only disabled a feature once, and there were a lot more people who were upset at the concept of removal than those who actually ever wanted to use it. Meanwhile, they have continually added features to the PS3 and PSP ever since launch.

7. Red Cat Linux says:

*Cheer*!

I was getting a bit tired of having to tote about my phone and PSP on trips along with their accessories. Now I just need my phone. Oh, and an OS update :P

8. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Why for the love of Dog do these people not FINISH the damn device and make it a cell phone too? You’d have one device to rule them all. Makes no sense to not do this.

9. Shadowfire says:

The touch pad on the back is the most interesting feature here, and I wouldn’t be surprised if nintendo borrowed it for a later 3ds revision.

10. disposable says:

“..and do away entirely with the old UMD discs PSP games ran on. Instead, gamers will download or buy memory sticks that include new games.”

So they are going to be a ds/gameboy/gamegear,etc. I love the initive people take with creativity. Wireless controllers became big years after the NES Sattelite, the Wii years after the motion sensor Genesis controller ring for boxing, etc.

I just cannot support a console (Pspgo) that is entirely download only. Once the sales ebb, the servers stop selling the game, and now you have a (rapidly depreciating) expensive brick. At least I can still play Atari 2600 without having to rely on a download…

• teke367 says:

Well, wireless controllers and motion controls aren’t new, true, but I think Nintendo and everybody deserve credit more make them and they actually working well.

11. Anri says:

Original Playstation games? OMG OMG OMG FFVII PLEASE

12. NotEd says:

I really wish they would include an option to attach my old PSP to the NGP and provide a supported way for me to port over my old UMD based games.
    Otherwise I have no immediate need to consider an upgrade at all.

Also they need to work on a more affordable memory format. Maybe start supporting SD, for a nice change?

13. Cetan says:

No UMD support? Unless they’re offering something $1 PSP UMD downloads, or a free redeemable download for all the PSP UMDs you own, then I won’t be buying this thing until the later revisions come out in a year or two.