NBC Employees Get Comcast Shares, Universal Studios Passes After Merger

NBC Universal employees lost a space — the company, merged with Comcast, is now known as “NBCUniversal” — but gained a nifty gift basket. Included was a welcome letter, a book on company history, 25 Comcast shares and passes to Universal Studios.

Deadline posts the Kabletown welcome letter:

Dear Colleague:

Today marks the birth of the new NBCUniversal. Together, Comcast and NBCUniversal are poised to become the greatest media company in the world, delivering quality content to a global audience on every conceivable platform.

We are incredibly excited about this opportunity. We’re humbled, too, since we are keenly aware that NBC and Universal both have tremendous legacies, reaching back nearly a century.

Although only half as old, Comcast also has a proud history, having grown from a single system cable operator to the largest video and residential Internet service provider in the country.

As we embark on this adventure together, it seems like a good time to reflect on how we got here. That’s why we put this book together. We hope you enjoy it and will be proud to be a part of what we’ve become.

The book is just one element of a gift package marking this occasion. Included is a certificate entitling you to 25 shares of stock in Comcast Corporation. Our hope is that you share ownership of this company and what we accomplish together.

You’ll also find a free pass for you and your family to one of the Universal theme parks – because we want you to get to know all our businesses, and have some fun, too.

And we’ve included what we’re calling “The Big Idea Book.” We’re a company founded on and driven by big ideas, and this gives you a place to record your own.

Last but not least, you’ll see a copy of the NBCUniversal Credo. This is, quite literally, what we believe. We hope you’ll agree, and come to see these as not just words but the distillation of a company culture that defines who we are, what we do, and how we do it.

NBCUniversal and Comcast are remarkable companies.

Together, we will be even better.
Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO, Comcast Corporation

Steve Burke, CEO, NBCUniversal

We can only assume the NBCUniversal credo quotes freely from the movie The Omen.

MERGER GIVEWAY: NBCU Employees Get Comcast Shares, Universal Studios Passes [Deadline]

Previously: FCC Approves Comcast/NBC Deal

Comments

1. Scuba Steve says:

I remember when Time-Warner bought AOL, and then went to the dumps. Good times.

2. Tim says:

Don’t forget about the new ID badges.

3. skapig says:

I love their ads targeted at consumers that they showed leading up to the decision. In particular is that they have the balls to outright claim that a merger between 2 giant media companies will somehow increase competition. That and the expanded availability of content which is essential what they already offer since they had agreements in place.

4. fatediesel says:

Not a bad gift, the Comcast shares are worth almost $600.

• egoods says:

Stock options are a great idea for anyone who has them available to them (Obviously, stock is never something you should depend on/always assume it’s going to exist and gain money), when I moved from a store level management position to a junior VP position at my current employer I was given a pretty substantial amount of stocks as a bonus. While I still own all of that original stock, I continue to acquire company stock. Why? Because I have faith in my employers continued growth (we weren’t doing so hot 2 years ago but we’ve been on a serious path to recovery that has brought us back in black and doing quite well in a short period of time), among other reasons. As an added bonus assuming things continue to go pretty well for the next year I’ll be able to buy a house in cash, and settle down and start a family… it’s an exciting idea! Granted I lucked out (the stock price has gone from ~$2 a share when I was given a large portion of my options to it’s most recent price of $14, that’s some pretty good gains) so YMMV.

5. brianisthegreatest says:

“And we’ve included what we’re calling ‘The Big Idea Book.’ We’re a company founded on and driven by big ideas, and this gives you a place to record your own.”

What does this mean? Do I just get to jot down my ideas and keep them to myself?

6. ShruggingGalt says:

Too bad they won’t get a vacation approved to be able to GO to one of the Universal parks.

7. jessjj347 says:

What the letter really says: “These gifts are in exchange for you having to work longer hours and never be able to take off. Have fun with the bonus.”

8. StevePierce says:

Comcast also just changed their Terms of Service in the last month for Business class service two days before Christmas.

If you are business and offer free WiFi to your customers or clients, you can no longer do this without a special addendum written contract. But when you ask for a contract Comcast has no response except to refer it to legal.

This shuts down any sort of free community WiFi like in Senior centers, churches, parks, low income housing, schools, and more.

This is the new Comcast. They were proud to announce their new restricted $10 a month service, but then killed communities trying to make a difference by blocking WiFi even at a coffee shop.

This is exactly what folks told the FCC would happen, and Comcast didn’t even wait for FCC approval for pulling a stunt like this.

Shame,

– Steve

• oldwiz65 says:

It doesn’t matter what people said to the FCC; they were going to approve the merger; there was never a serious question that it would be approved. I wonder how much money Comcast/NBC slipped to Congressmen and the FCC to get the merger approved? $10 million? $20 million?

• gerald.saul says:

I don’t quite understand what the merger has to do with your anecdote. It seems like Comcast, the ISP, is just being a jerk to you, one of their customers. Is there something else I need explained?

9. dush says:

NBCUniversal credo: “I’m ready to make.”

10. Johnmcboston says:

Too bad all I’ll get is a higher cable bill…

11. oldwiz65 says:

Just wondering how many thousands will be laid off? There’s got to be lots of duplication of departments. Are they stating publicly how many people will be jobless soon?

12. TasteyCat says:

As stupid names go, this is one.