Morningstar Corn Dogs Make Triumphant Return To Grocery Shelves

They’re back! Around this time last year, we investigated the sudden disappearance of Morningstar Farms’ delicious vegetarian corn dogs and hot dogs from grocery shelves. Consumers seem to care very deeply about this product. We’re happy to report that the corn dogs, at least, are back on the Morningstar Farms website, and a reader has spotted them in the wild.

Catastrophegirl sent us these photos, noting: “Apparently they are popular, since they were almost all gone.” This creates a mental picture of local vegetarians buying armfuls of boxes, then going home to spend the evening in a corn dog-eating frenzy.

morningstar_corn_dogs.jpg

The site tells me that the only retailer carrying the full-size corn dogs near me are suburban Walmarts, and no one carries the mini dogs locally. Have any of this product’s fans found and taste-tested the new version? What did you think?

Morningstar Farms® Veggie Corn Dogs [Morningstar Farms]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

“The only retailer carrying the full-size corn dogs near me are suburban Walmarts”

I smell a global conspiracy to corner the Morningstar corn dog market.

2. MuffinSangria says:

Damn, not sold near me. Would have been perfect while watching the supper bowl.

3. yessongs says:

Blech!!!!!!

4. dulcinea47 says:

Hm, I got “we cannot display that information at this time.” I’ll just have to look for them. I’m not a vegetarian but regular hot dogs gross me out and these are (were?) yummy!

5. Slave For Turtles says:

OMG – these are the best! =D Such good news!

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I believe the most appropriate response is “SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” My current girlfriend even knows of my love of these even though we didn’t start dating until after they came off the shelf.

• Gundy says:

I totally have to agree with you on this one. These were awesome. Hopefully they will bring the regular hot dogs back too.

6. TooManyHobbies says:

I’ll take my corn dogs as nature intended; full of animal by-products, rat noses and floor sweepings. Yum!

• webweazel says:

Yup. I think hot dogs are made from the stuff they sweep up from the floor. Once the finish washing the floors, what they dig out of the floor drains with their fingers they make into scrapple. I LUVES me some scrapple. I have never, nor will ever, read the ingredient list on scrapple. In this one instance, ignorance is delicious bliss. With ketchup.

• DeepHurting says:

Old chinese phone books and weiner flavum! Yum!

• Chip Skylark of Space says:

Yay, Jimmy Dean brand!

7. george69 says:

I loves me some dead animals, I will pass on the bean for meat corn dog (yuck)

• Michaela says:

Have you even had these? They are pretty darn good!

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

Man, what Michaela said. I love me some dead animal, too, and even I think these things are fantastic — I seem to remember checking the box when I first had one, because this couldn’t possibly be a fake meat product.

I’d eat them a lot more than I do, if they weren’t so laughably expensive.

8. muffingal says:

I emailed them about the Hot Dogs when they first disappeared. I hope they are next to return. They are the best veggie hot dogs around!

9. ill informed says:

they’re at my local kroger stores. what kind of self respecting vegetarian shops at wal mart?

• Nick1693 says:

Apparently, it’s the non-snobby, thrifty vegetarian.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

The kind that realizes that Morningstar is a division of Kraft and doesn’t use any organic ingredients?

When I buy Morningstar, I’ve already given up the do-gooder liberal stuff. I’m buying junk food.

• whereismyrobot says:

It’s fun to go to the vegetarian section of Wal Mart; no one makes eye contact!

10. sirwired says:

If you are eating “vegetarian” by buying fake corn dogs, I’d have to say you are doing it wrong. If you are vegetarian for health reasons, I’m pretty sure hyper-processed pink protein-based substance is not a huge improvement. If you are vegetarian for moral reasons… eating pretend meat just doesn’t seem like a good way to go about it.

• ellemdee says:

As a vegetarian (for moral reasons), I don’t eliminate food from my diet based on its appearance, I eliminate based on content. Not eating something vegetarian just because it looks like meat wouldn’t make any more sense than me eating meat just because it looks like something vegetarian. They taste good and add variety to a vegetarian’s diet. The only downside, to me, is the price, though they’re totally worth it.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Why? Pretend meat doesn’t kill an animal, nor does it encourage the exploitation and mistreatment of workers that is known to occur in many slaughterhouses.

• myteebay says:

I’ve been a vegetarian for ethical reasons for almost 23 years. There are some things from my previous life that I miss, and corn dogs is (are?) one of them. The bottom line is that eating Morningstar Farms corn dogs doesn’t require the death of an animal, which is a perfectly reasonable way to go about it.

• chloe says:

“Doing it wrong”? Jesus. People can be vegetarian, or not, for whatever reason they want. They don’t need strangers on the internet telling them they’re “doing it wrong” because they like veggie dogs. Particularly when the second half of your statement makes no sense whatsoever.

• Michaela says:

I love how being a vegetarian puts an individual in one of two stereo-types for you. People couldn’t possibly be vegetarian because they can’t digest meat well, are part of a religious group that forbids it, were raised vegetarian, or honestly just don’t feel like eating meat. No! That would just be too gosh darn silly!

• Bye says:

If I had my druthers, I would only consume the stupidest animals who have proven themselves to be inferior; but because I refuse to engage in cannibalism, you are safe for now.

11. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Why were they gone?

12. schmittymcdougal says:

yes! saw them return to my local kroger last weekend and i’m so happy. they taste the same as ever.

13. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

mini fake corndogs are back too. They don’t taste as good as the contaminated ones did.

14. ellemdee says:

“This creates a mental picture of local vegetarians buying armfuls of boxes, then going home to spend the evening in a corn dog-eating frenzy.”

I know what I’m doing this weekend. Nom nom nom…

15. Starfury says:

We used to get these plus their veggie burgers. Best of the bunch. Now we get the Costco veggie patties (I don’t eat them but my wife likes them) instead.

16. whereismyrobot says:

They need to bring back the buffalo wings…or maybe that was Gardenburger.

17. JohnJ says:

You don’t have to be vegetarian to eat some Morningstar Farm products. The “real thing” often means gross ingredients, and more calories.

18. AquaAmber says:

I haven’t bought these in years, but they are WORTH THE HYPE. Growing up in a kosher home, we didn’t buy too many meat products. Of all the meat-wannabe products we purchased, these were definitely the best. They don’t taste like real corndogs, no, but they sure are delicious.

19. moonunitrappa says:

And there was much rejoicing. So say we all.

20. AT203 says:

I’ve never seen the mini ones, they’ve become something of a white-whale for me. I’m reassured that people in this thread have actually seen them. The hunt goes on.

And I’m disappointed at the predictable piling-on of meat-eaters against vegetarians. Congratulations! The overwhelming majority of Americans are raised as meat-eaters. They do not chose to become meat-eaters. So, they are advocating for the status quo. Wow, that’s bold!

21. kamiikoneko says:

I’m pretty sure you have to refrigerate those, but it kinda looks like they are just hanging out on a normal shelf next to vitatops, which I am pretty sure don’t need to be refrigerated…

22. Princesssookeh says: