Personal Finance Roundup

ETFs you do (and don’t) want to own [CNN Money] “With over 1,000 to choose from, investing in ETFs can be tricky. Experts break it down with their recommendations.”

Cook More, Eat Out Less: 7 Highly Effective Habits [Money Watch] “The habits that have helped me stay committed [to saving on eating out] thus far.”

Frugal Lessons from People Who Survived the Great Depression [Frugal Confessions] “The Great Depression left a great impression on their thoughts, their styles, and their habits.”

Five Best New Cheap Cars (Under $20K) To Consider [Wallet Pop] “An iffy economy and high unemployment rate make a flock of new vehicles priced below $20,000 well timed for their 2011 debuts.”

35 Things NOT to do When Ordering Delivery [Budgets are Sexy] “The following is a list of things to consider the next time you decide to order delivery from a local restaurant.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t really “get” the article about lessons from people who survived the Great Depression. If the article is a reminder of how frugal people had to be, it’s fine, but if it’s meant to show people examples of how to be frugal, most of them don’t work. You’re not really learning “lessons” from those people, you’re just being reminded that they had to live this way.

• fredbiscotti says:

I agree, it’s a really poorly written article. The author takes 1,000 words to say what could be said in 400. Ultimately, though, he doesn’t really have anything to say at all.

2. parliboy says:

re: Cook More, Eat Out Less:

Forgive me, but the author of this piece, at the bottom, talks of going out to dinner and spending $50. If this is typical for her, I can understand why it was causing financial issues for her so much.

That aside, good on her for making a commitment to change her habits. I do wish I had the ability to order fresh groceries online the way she does; it would certainly make it easier for me to make such a change.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yeah, $50 for both of us is rare, let alone $50 for one person. Of course, we don’t drink wine and we rarely order appetizers and entrees, and a dessert. Things get significantly cheaper when you eat less.

• Peter Nincompoop says:

Bingo. The last time my girlfriend and I went out to dinner, our bill came to $28 – including 2 beers each. Good Italian food doesn’t have to be pricey.

3. outshined says:

Before I read the article, I thought that 35 things not to do for delivery would be bitchy and excessive. However, I read it and decided that people are HUGE jerks.