Do You Love Your Dog Enough To Buy It A $32 Aromatherapy Candle?

Feel like you didn’t do enough holiday shopping for the canine companion on your list? Here’s your chance to atone for your stinginess by pampering your pooch with pricey candles catering to the canine nose.

The folks at Sniff Candles are selling the candles in five scents, including “Fart and Away,” “Day in the Hamptons” and “Splendor in the Grass,” for $32 each. For those looking to buy in bulk, the entire quintet is available for $150.

But before you turn up your nose at the cost, you should know these candles aren’t just intended to please your pup’s nose, they’re also therapeutic.

“Aromatherapy is a natural & safe alternative for pet care,” reads a statement on the company’s site. “The Sniff aromatherapy line of candles meets the most common needs of dog wellness and are pleasant to use and non-intrusive. By using in each candle, the perfect blend of essential oils to offer emotional balance, and energy, your dog will experience an overall improved sense of well-being.”

I don’t know… I’ve owned several dogs over the years and their sense of well-being was always improved by the occasional scent- and cash-free belly scratch.

Luxury Bads: Sniff Scented Candles for Dogs [The Gloss]

Comments

1. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Does it come in “Other dog’s ass” scent?

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I can afford to get him the candle, or dog food. His choice.

3. Reading_Comprehension says:

“…offer emotional balance, and energy, your dog will experience an overall improved sense of well-being.”

peanut butter does this too

• tsukiotoshi says:

Whenever my dog seems a little down I just put some peanut butter on a dried chicken strip and she perks right up. Magic!

4. Spaceman Bill Leah says:

I would not pay $32 for a candle that smells like dog farts but I would CERTAINLY fork it over for one that could cover them.

• spanky says:

The post says it is for covering up the smell.

HA HA now you have to buy one!

• webweazel says:

One of our dogs years back had a great trick. We’d use box fans placed on the floor in the summer. She’d come into the room, lay down in front of the fan for a few minutes, then get up and leave the room. I just know she was giggling away in the next room as we were on the floor, gagging from the tear gas consuming the entire room.

A dinky candle wouldn’t help with that much.

5. White Speed Receiver says:

I guess if she asked for the candle by name I’d have to consider it.

6. YouDidWhatNow? says:

…and yet another entry on the list of the World’s Stupidest People.

7. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

If it were a tried-and-true way to calm him down when I’m away, sure I’d buy it. But since it isn’t, and I doubt it ever will be, I will continue to buy him his all natural dog food that isn’t exactly cheap and hope he learns soon enough that I AM coming back home, unlike whoever left him on the side of the road for animal control to find.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

That and you should never leave a candle burning unattended, and especially not when there is an anxious and restless dog in the house.

• axhandler1 says:

If he gets anxious while you are away, try leaving the radio or tv on for him. Sometimes this helps them relax.

• spanky says:

Separation anxiety is a really big issue for rescued dogs who’ve been abandoned in the past. In fact, all of my dogs have been some type of rescue or another, and they’ve all had it to some degree.

What’s worked really well for me is to just leave them for short periods of time and come back. If you can, set aside a weekend or something so you can do it. I’d put some peanut butter in a Kong, give it to the dog, then leave the house for slowly increasing amounts of time. Maybe 15 minutes, then an hour, etc., without making a big goodbye ceremony. Just say “Bye!” or just leave without saying anything. Don’t make an immediate huge deal out of coming back in, either. Walk in, take off your coat or whatever, then greet them.

It sometimes takes a while for them to start trusting that you really will come back, but in my experience, they have always figured it out fairly quickly. In fact, we recently adopted an elderly dog who’d been abandoned at least twice and had some severe issues at first, but it only took him a couple of weeks to start trusting us. Dogs are very forgiving.

(Also, I’ve heard a lot of people recommend Bach’s Rescue Remedy and some other type of aromatherapy that mimics dog pheremones or something. I haven’t tried those myself, but I would give it a shot if the problem didn’t resolve fairly quickly.)

8. I just blue myself says:

I want to know what Fart and Away smells like!

• Hoss says:

It probably smells like a 50 cent tealight from CVS. Just lighting the match will get ride of the fart

• Jfielder says:

Alright… where did the whole “light a match to get rid of shit smell” myth come from? Because it’s a lie… any time I have seen someone attempt this is just ends up smelling like burnt matches and shit.

Same goes for cheap air freshener sprays though… oh, so now it smells like a turd in a meadow with wildflowers. Excellent…

9. cayton says:

I love my dog enough to not buy her this candle.

10. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

When we got a new cat, our older cat was not too keen on the idea; we tried this cat pheromone plug-in thing that was supposed to have a calming influence, and well, it seemed to work. That or at around the same time, he became accustomed to the intruder in his space and found it was fun to have another cat to bother.

He did, at least, seem less stressed.

I’m not sure if these candles are just “scents” or if they are “scents + pheromones,” but it might be worth looking into if you are obscenely wealthy and have nothing better to do with $30+ bucks.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

That’s Feliway. I actually recommend it. It soothed the anxiety of introducing a new, previously abandoned cat, to our household. Unfortunately, the oil burner was an asthma trigger for someone in the house, but they make spray as well.

• Caswell says:

I’ve used Feliway as well (just ordered a refill, actually). I end up travelling for business about once a quarter and the times I’ve plugged it in when I leave have resulted in fewer “surprises” to find when I come home.

Recommended it to a friend whose cat was shredding her new furniture, she said it worked as well.

11. aloria says:

Last time I lit a scented candle around my pets, one didn’t have hair on his chin for a week since he went over to sniff the candle and some of his fur got singed. I’ll stick to plug-ins, thanks.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

Is it bad that I just totally LOLd?

• Red Cat Linux says:

No, it’s happened a time or two in my house. It’s the young ones, really. When every cat I have ever had was under the age of 12 months, at some point you realize that all his whiskers have curled up and were charred stubs on one side of the face.

This much has been true over the years though: nobody ever made the mistake twice.

Then there was the one genius who always had something going on… strange gelled hair-do (encounter with affectionate dog), white crusty feet (wandering through construction area/plaster tray), swollen paws (ongoing war with wasps), blistered pads (walked across ceramic stove top), no whiskers (Candles 101) .. the list went on.

12. Blueskylaw says:

It’s hard to believe that dogs survived for all these millions of years without aromatherapy candles.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

That was fine for those dogs before our modern domesticated animals. Doggies survived for millions of years without coats, too. But obviously, modern dogs would die without coats. And little hats, too.

• scoosdad says:

Scooter over there says don’t forget the boots.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Everynight around 7pm, I microwave my cat’s dinner of Fancy Feast food for ten seconds because I read in Wikipedia that it is not good for cats to eat cold meat. Now they’re probably talking about Lions and Tigers but he’s likes it.

My cat see’s “SUCKER” on my forehead.

• haggis for the soul says:

A cat wrote that Wiki article, and they do stuff like that just to see how many ridiculous things we’ll do on their behalf.

• AnthonyC says:

they didn’t. Before there were humans, there were no dogs- just wolves

13. El-Brucio says:

There was a canine aromatherapy(and possibly homeopathy) shop in my neighbourhood for a few years. I was impressed that it lasted as long as it did given that it’s granola overtones kind of clashed with the rest of the neighbourhood. It’s been replaced by a dog aquatherapy shop which will probably do better I suspect.

14. selianth says:

I have heard of an aromatherapy plug-in for cats that helps calm them down so they’re not so skittish and spastic. One of hubby’s friends uses it and swears it really does work. We could really use it for our cats (they’re 11 years old and still freak out EVERY SINGLE TIME the doorbell rings) but the stuff is freaking expensive. We decided we’ll just deal with the little adorable spazzes.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Posted up above. That’s called Feliway, and I really do recommend it. You can’t smell it, but it does seem to have a calming influence on the cats. We introduced a new cat that had been abandoned into our household with two others, one blind and kind of skittish, and one sort of aggressive. It seemed to really work.

15. Emilliy says:

I was hoping for a “Dead fish and other rubbish I want to roll in” scent. None of these candle are scents that I would be willing to have in my home, I do enough as it is to not have my house smell like my pets.

• tBone says:

I cannot stop laughing at the recollection: A few months ago I took the dogs strolling along the lake. Sadie found a dead fish to rub in and roll all over. It took DAYS to get the stench out of the house….. NO candle or candles would even had made a dent in eau de carp.

16. Papa Bear says:

This is nothing! I know a guy who had a teacup poodle. Funny as heck! He is 6’5″, 360 lbs., his dog was less than 4 lbs. Anyhow, he would buy this dog a prime rib every Saturday. I’d bet he spent over $1000 a year on prime rib for the dog. This isn’t even a case of a rich guy being eccentric, he is factory worker.

17. Kate says:

I really don’t want to know what a ‘Splendor in the grass’ dog aromatherapy candle smells like. We have enough ‘splendors’ lying around in our own back yard.

18. Talisker says:

I’m glad that I’m getting enough in tax cuts to pay for aromatherapy candles for my dog. I’d hate it if that money were going to something useless like schools or law enforcement.

19. marsneedsrabbits says:

My dog’s sense of well-being seems to be centered around eating various animal parts, then finding a place to sleep where the preschooler won’t bug him while he digests.

No doubt he would find a couple of pounds raw duck feet from the Asian market and some quality time on the master bedroom floor highly therapeutic and emotionally balancing.

Bonus: We’d find it about $30.50 less expensive than the candle.

20. ellemdee says:

Dogs and fire don’t mix. Bad, bad idea.

21. ellemdee says:

My dog makes her own aromatherapy at home.

22. Saltpork says:

“Do You Love Your Dog Enough To Buy It A $32 Aromatherapy Candle?”
    Hell no.
    I love him enough to take care of him, feed him, play with him, walk him, take him to the vet, bathe him. I am not buying my dog candles. He’s a dog.

23. prismatist says:

So my dog will try to sniff the flame? There’ll be therapy alright, but it’ll be burn therapy.

24. Pax says:

I’ve bought $50 “stress reduction” things, that use armoatic oils (and putatively, they were laced with artificial pheromones, or some such), in an attempt to calm down our two cats.

It worked, too. Though not dramatically enough to buy the $30 refills, once a month.

25. huygensbyer says:

My dog’s favorite scent is cat poop out of the litter box.

26. Snaptastic says:

I love my corgi enough to spend $8K on surgery to fix a ruptured disc in his back. However, I also know my dog well enough to know that he would kick my ass with his stumpy legs if I spent $32 on a candle for him instead of $32 worth of steak and bacon.

Now that I think about it, his 15-lb bag of Taste of the Wild (Prairie formula) costs $30.

27. mojomarc says:

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy them a used Power Balance bracelet and use it as their new collar?

28. haggis for the soul says:

If they made these for my cats, the scents would be “Spoonful of Mayo,” “Tortured Cricket,” and “Tuna and Hate.”

29. chaelyc says:

I don’t even love myself enough to buy a $10 candle for ME.