Realtor Slices Price On Snake Infested Home

Sounds like a ssssteal. A beautiful five-bedroom house in Idaho for only $109,000. It comes with a tiny catch: The house is infested with thousands of live, writhing garter snakes.

UPDATE: We Were Told Snake Infestation Was “Made Up”

One realtor is trying to offload the property, which went into foreclosure after the previously family got sick of the snakes and fled the premises. The realtor hopes the price drop will help, but it may not be enough. Even non snake-infested houses are having a hard time getting sold in this market.

“I guess I need a snake lover,” he told The Daily Mail. “Or someone with multiple mongooses.”

Previous owners described waking up in the middle of the night with snakes in their bed, finding snakes climbing up the walls all the time, and finding piles of snakes in crawlspaces. Just walking around the yard uncovered enough snakes to fill a bucket,

It’s likely no amount of mongooses or poison will do the trick, as the house was probably built on top of snake den, Joe Collins, director of the Center for North American Herpetology in Lawrence, Kansas told The Daily Mail. Even if most of the snakes were gotten rid of, some snakes would probably remain and give birth again, starting the cycle anew. Also, garter snakes leave phermone trails leading the way to a den, which attracts other snakes from other areas to converge on the den.

“Snakes have a great deal of fidelity to the den site,” said Collins. “They’re born near there and the animals return each fall to den up and avoid the cold…People always build first and never ask about an area and whether there is a snake den before they do. Afterward, it’s too late: the house is there, the snakes are there and people are there. It’s a great set up for a wonderful time.” For the snakes, that is.

Here’s a video done by the local news on one of the previous homeowners before they dumped the property:For sale, the house with a very strange hiss-tory: Desperate realtor slashes price on Idaho home infested with SNAKES [Daily Mail] (Thanks to GitEmSteveDave!)

We Were Told Snake Infestation Was “Made Up”

Comments

1. Hungry Dog says:

I love all these mother f&#**^g snakes in this mother f&#**^g house!!

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

That’s what the rat terrier is for. Also, garter snakes eat. That means there’s a prey source nearby that you may be able to fumigate/poison.

• Red Cat Linux says:

Yep, that’ll be the next complaint. Someone is going to pull off the improbable, and end the snake infestation. Then, whatever the snakes were feeding on will take their place as the nuisance pest.

• edman007 says:

They winter in groups, the house is probably near a den were all the snakes in a mile or so go to hibernate, during this time they don’t really eat and it means it doesn’t imply there is food nearby.

• Hungry Dog says:

What’s with these replies? I love these mother friggin snakes. If I wanted the problem under more control I would let loose King Snakes. Their so boss, they eat other snakes.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

You can’t get these motherf’n snakes out of this motherf’n house!

3. Nyall says:

tasty

4. Rebecca K-S says:

Ugh, that’s crazy. I’m learning firsthand how much you can get screwed when you buy property, but I have to wonder if (hope) they have any recourse at all in that situation. It seems unfair that they shouldn’t.

• sirwired says:

Yeah, it seems unfair, but I’m pretty sure vermin infestation isn’t covered under any HO policy. At least they aren’t trying to hide the condition from whomever ends up buying the place.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t even know how you could hide something like this. Anyone smart enough to be there for an hour will probably notice the stray reptile and his buddies.

• Saltpork says:

Maybe not in the cold of winter. Snakes don’t spend much time outdoors in winter.

Have a university buy the house out for their biology department to study.
          I highly doubt if you will find a family or person who wants to:
          A. Move to the house in Idaho
          B. Live with hundreds or thousands of snakes.

For all those creeped out by this: Garter snakes are harmless.

5. failurate says:

What you need is some mongooses for your snake infestation. And then some hawks to solve the mongoose infestation. And then some snakes to eat the hawk eggs to solve your hawk infestation. And then maybe some more mongooses.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

• bonzombiekitty says:

LISA
        But isn’t that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we’re overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
        No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They’ll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
        But aren’t the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
        Yes, but we’re prepared for that. We’ve lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
        But then we’re stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
        No, that’s the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

6. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Garter? As in non-poisonous?

I have two cats and can get more. Nuff’ said.

• pastthemission says:

Garter snakes aren’t poisonous but they do bite and can get rather big. A big enough garter snack could probably wound a housecat pretty badly by biting it multiple times.

• The Porkchop Express says:

don’t forget the smell, these snakes produce and release a musk that is anything but pleasant. I think I saw this house on “INFESTED” or something on animal planet. The water even smells like the snakes if this is the same place.

• pastthemission says:

naaaaasty, also the probability of accidentally surprising a snake and getting chomped is very high if they’re EVERYWHERE.

• Milch says:

Yeah, I has seen the episode of “Infested” with this home.

• Milch says:

“Have” even*

• Aquaria says:

According to “Infested”, the first family left the house and let it foreclose, and then a second family (the one featured) ended up doing the same thing, ending up in bankruptcy.

If it’s a foreclosure, does the bank have any disclosure requirements, and if so, how would they have known about the snakes? Horrible situation for those families.

• HungryGal says:

“Garter snack”… nice Freudian slip. Clearly you are a cat and are trying to keep the other cats away from this house so you can nom on snakes in peace for the rest of your days.

• Red Cat Linux says:

Have you ever seen cats get bored with prey? I have. It’s a little sad watching a cat while birds and squirrels prance about under their noses.

I imagine that this will happen with cats and garters, only a bit faster.

• dakeypoo says:

There is no such thing as a poisonous snake. A poison is ingested. Snakes are venomous.

• JennQPublic says:

He’s talking about a cat ingesting the snake, so whether or not it’s poisonous is kind of relevant, here.

• sumocat says:

Actually, it’s been discovered that garter snakes are venomous, but the neurotoxin they produce is extremely mild. I imagine it’s less mild when multiplied by a thousand.

7. MamaBug says:

Call in Billy the Exterminator!! (guilty pleasure)

8. Kate says:

Garter snakes are completely harmless. It wouldn’t bother me to deal with them.

• Rebecca K-S says:

The fact that it’s objectively harmless doesn’t mean someone should have to deal with an infestation of them. It’s pretty reasonable to expect never to wake up with a snake in your bed.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

They still poop and pee right? Ever had a snake pee on you? They can also still bite/nip.

• Eli the Ice Man says:

You say that as if you’ve had such an experience first hand!

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Yes, I went to summer camp in PA. Pity the poor snake that slithered through the camp within sight of a young boy.

• XianZhuXuande says:

I do have experience first hand with exactly this sort of snake. They do like to bite/nip (BITE), pee, and poo. The poo is particularly terrible. And those bites are minor, but for the bigger ones it isn’t something a person would want to make a regular event of, and any pet cats probably wouldn’t appreciate it either. :)

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I have; peeing and nipping but no pooing. At least I don’t think so….

Garter snakes CAN get rather large. I like one or two in my yard to eat slugs, although my cat has chased most of them away. When I come across them while mowing, I put on leather work gloves and gently move them out of the way. Although I won’t kill them, I don’t think I want that many in the house.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

This goes beyond “dealing with,” though. It’s an infestation and likely to be nearly
      impossible to destroy all the snakes as well as the pheromone traces around the property. Garter snakes may not be poisonous but they are a nightmare. There are too many to consider a nuisance. I wouldn’t even share my house with one snake, and I would not go anywhere near this house.

• haggis for the soul says:

Thousands of them, though! This is your worst possible cockroach infestation ever x 1000.

• Red Cat Linux says:

I’m sure you’re mistaken.

Cockroach infestations count in the millions. A cockroach infestation is when you turn on the light and they don’t even run anymore because it’s too crowded. When the people downstairs bomb and exterminate their apartment, their roach population decamps and moves in with you for a while. There isn’t enough space in the walls for them anymore.

One more thing to remind me why I don’t miss New York any more.

• outoftheblew says:

Mice and ants and roaches are harmless, too (to the same extent these snakes are … all can still cause the same amount of property damage and have the potential to spread disease). I still work to get rid of them when they start to invade my home.

• The Porkchop Express says:

as I said above in a different comment, these guys produce and release a rather disgusting musk.

I love snakes and lizards and I wouldn’t mind tons of black snakes or corn snakes living under my home and keeping rodents away, but more than ten of these things would probably smell enough to bug me.

• pastthemission says:

they’re not harmless if you surprise them by accident. The community garden in my parent’s town has a garter snake population and while usually they’re harmless if you accidentally surprise them they sometimes bite instead of slithering away.

• dpeters11 says:

Contrary to popular belief, they do have a mild neurotoxin. They generally are harmless to humans, but some are more sensitive to the venom than normal.

• BurtReynolds says:

I’ll take a resident garter snake or two in the backyard. When they climb into bed with me, we have a problem.

9. dolemite says:

Even if they aren’t poisonous, that sounds like a living nightmare.

I remember an old dream I used to have where I was running/jumping through tall grass and no matter where I stepped, there was a snake waiting.

• DingoAndTheBaby says:

Simone: Do you have any dreams?
      Pee-wee: Yeah, I’m all alone. I’m rolling a big doughnut and this snake wearing a vest…

10. haggis for the soul says:

Oh hell no.

11. Belabras ate my dingo! says:

Ssssssoundssss like a ssssteal!

12. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I have had it with these middle of the night snakes in my middle class bed!

13. Jane_Gage says:

They need a FL realtor. “Home comes with free rodent prevention service.”

14. MrEvil says:

Sci Fi movie of the week anybody?

Snakes in a house!

15. caradrake says:

Wow, waking up to find snakes in the bed?

I’d run screaming from the house.

16. BarkIsNutritious says:

Mongeese.
    #corrections

17. Red Cat Linux says:

Snakes… Why did it have to be snakes?

Garters. Not very poisonous. You go first.

18. Thassodar says:

Sounds like a job for….MACHETE!

19. yessongs says:

Snakes….. it had to be snakes!

20. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

This reminds of the scene in “The Craft” where all the snakes and creepy-crawlies come out of the vents in the house. I was 16 at the time and had to run out of the theater because I thought I was going to puke.

I am not watching that video. And hell no. Fuck no. Never. Rikki Tikki Tavi couldn’t fix this shit.

21. nodaybuttoday says:

Seriously? No one has said it yet? Ok, I’ll say.

Snakes… why did it have to be snakes?

22. JohnDeere says:

shame leaving all the free meat behind.

23. dolemite says:

maybe someone could buy the house and turn it into a snakeskin operation…making purses, shoes, belts, etc.

• Southern says:

Then you’d probably have PETA or the ASPCA breathing down your neck with lawsuits.

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me.

• OutThere says:

No, no, thats the idea! Right? In a gesture of “humanity” and “kindness”, some animal-rights group will come out and remove the snakes for you, to “protect” them.

24. Snow Cube says:

I saw this house on an episode of ‘Infested.’ One of the main problems the previous homeowners had was the snakes were secreting their pheromones (and also excreting waste) into the water. They were bathing in and drinking it for quite a while before they realized what the problem was. Since snakes sometimes harbor salmonella it also posed a health risk.

I can’t imagine someone paying 100k for this problem. Previous attempts by at least 2 former owners and an exterminator have failed. Sounds like a nightmare come to life!

25. Kibit says:

Did this family buy the house from a previous owner or have it built?

If they bought it, shouldn’t they have been made aware of the problem by the owners, inspector and or real estate agent?
    If it was built on a snake den then I can’t imagine that the problem just started after this family moved in.

They should contact Extreme Home Makeover. This would be an interesting episode to watch.

• The Porkchop Express says:

if this is the one I saw on TV, they bought from a previous owner and were not told about the snakes. Probably bought it during the winter when the snakes were all in the den hibernating.

26. nodaybuttoday says:

So I found the listing for the house and shocker… the snakes are mentioned at all! I couldn’t link it but the MLS# is 17115 and says “This great 5 bed, 2 bath home has recently been remodeled, is on almost 1 & 3/4 acres with a double car attached garage! The main level has a large family room with propane fireplace, a large kitchen with center island, a full main bath, 3 large bedrooms, and a large laundry room. The upper level has 2 large bedrooms, a 3/4 bath, and a spacious family room. Call us today to come take a look!”

27. ouijabored says:

Thanks to reading about this house, I will always, ALWAYS ask about snake dens when looking at a house/building site.

Also, waking up to snakes in my bed? KILL IT WITH FIRE!

• Red Cat Linux says:

Who thinks about that though?

That would be right up there with checking to see if your house was built on top of an ancient Indian burial ground.

Termite and carpenter ant inspection? Check.
      Radon testing? Check.
      Water and moisture testing? Check.
      Roof passes muster? Check.
      Snakes and poltergeists..? Oh, WTF…

28. scoosdad says:

So remember kids, ALWAYS check with your realtor before buying that dream house of yours, or building anew, to ask if there’s a snake den on your lot!

29. CrankyOwl says:

Why isn’t mongeese the plural for mongoose?

30. nutbastard says:

The smell… you can never get rid of the smell of garter snakes.

31. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Just ask them to leave. To, like, Brazil or something.

Oh, wait, you don’t speak Parseltongue.

32. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

You don’t want dead snakes in the walls. Bulldoze the house, level the yard, then rebuild.
    Growing up we had the world’s-bestest-snake-pit-ever behind our house. A subdivision went in over it with no resulting snake problems.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

apparently you’d have to replace the dirt in the yard to get rid of the pheremones, not just level it

• gman863 says:

According to the show Infested, the house was likely built on top on an existing snake mecca. Why the snakes chose this spot is unknown; however the depth and sheer number of snake dens would likely make bulldozing only a few feet of dirt uselesssssssssssssssss.

Sorry. I couldn’t ressssssisssssst.

33. El-Brucio says:

I would be totally ok with living in that place. I’ve already found a house centipede in my bed. Guess which one I’d be far more tolerant of crawling over me while I slept?

Besides which, a good caulking around the residence would keep out all but the smallest snakes, and they’re just adorable, provided you don’t startle them when you pick them up. And you wouldn’t ever have to worry about mice or bugs again.

34. HoJu says:

“People always build first and never ask about an area and whether there is a snake den before they do.”

Top 3 questions to ask before building a house:
    1) Is it in a good neighborhood?
    2) How is the school system in the town/city?
    3) Is there a snake den on the property?

Makes sense to me.

35. Hoss says:

No one called Billy the Exterminator??

36. Brunette Bookworm says:

They can’t get rid of the snakes AND disrupt the pheromone trail? Couldn’t someone dig a ditch around the place and disturb the soil and get rid of the scent? Or a repellant odor?

37. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

You could buy it and turn it into a tourist attraction: Who is brave enough to spend a night in…THE HOUSE OF SNAAAAAAAKES!!!

38. thehungjury says:

Unfortunately, it is illegal to import mongooses (mongeese?) into the United States for over 100 years because of their destructive impact on native fauna in other countries.

• OnePumpChump says:

Fortunately, we have these animals called “cats” that kill for the love of killing.

My dad has one that would love to live in a house like that.

39. Hi_Hello says:

well if your diet consist mainly of snakes, this would be an awesome buy.

40. Mcshonky says:

sssssssssssssssssssssssuckers!!!!!!!!!

41. Mcshonky says:

All the ladies find a snake in my bed. “wink”

42. Wolfbird says:

Am I the only person pissed that all these snakes are going to get exterminated?

Granted, garter snakes and their self-defense of SHITTING on you is the devil itself.

43. Froggmann says:

Well, at least the future owners won’t have a rodent problem.

44. Cetan says:

I always wanted a flock of mongeese in my house.

I’ll videotape all the fights and put them on YouTube, then turn and resell the house on top of it.

45. Tessa says:

They should advertise it differently.
    ‘House comes with all the snakes you can trap and eat. Never BUY meat again!’
    Redneck heaven, house sold.

46. JadePharaoh says:

Snakes don’t bother me as much as they do other people. Especially garters, which are harmless. I certainly wouldn’t have to worry about rodents, that’s for sure. Plus I have two cats; I’ll bet they could keep the snake population at a minimum

47. Draw2much says:

If there’s no way to get rid of the snakes, it might be better just to bulldoze it down. :-/

48. Not Given says:

At least they aren’t rattlers.
    DH once brought home a garter snake and set it loose in his garden but it slithered away.

On weirder note, we had a cat that dragged home 3 rubber snakes, a small doll and larger doll’s head in the space of 2 weeks.

49. mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

In addition to selling snakeskin boots, belts, purses and wallets. You could supply garter snakes for sale to pet stores. “As Seen On TV!” Sell them by the dozen to farmers for rodent control. With a bit of work and some innovation it could be a very lucrative operation. But live there?? Nooooooooooooooo!

Wonder how much of a hassle it would be to change the zoning of the property?

50. iamcraig says:

Pump the den full of plaster.

51. Admiral_John says:

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

God, I hate snakes…

52. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Is it mongooses or mongeeses?

53. kross10c says:

this is so dumb. there are many products that prevent snake infestation. Anyone that lives near woods should put some “snake away” under their house and in their yards.

54. Jimmy37 says:

Where I come from, we dig up the dirt, so I figure that would destroy any snake den.

55. Friday11 says:

This house would literally be most people’s worst nightmare. The thought of waking up to snakes in your bed is horrifying and sounds like a scene from a horror movie. I did not even know that snakes had dens and that they leave pheromones which attract more snakes to the den. Does this Realtor seriously think they can sell this house? Surely, there is not someone crazy enough to sign up for this life of misery. I hope the most recent family who lived in this house, have “called out” the real-estate company, as somebody must have known about the snake infestation. Hopefully, the news about this house will spread and no other homeowner will be subjected to this slithery situation.

56. Friday11 says:

57. loueloui says:

If you ever need to get rid of a a bunch of snakes double quick use a method my old Ag School techer tought me from down on the farm. It’s definitely not environmentally friendly, and may make a heck of a mess, but it is guaranteed to make them suckers flee like from Saint Patrick.

The secret is: Gasoline! And it works amazingly well. For some reason snakes are extremely sensitive to it and will do anything to get away. They absolutely loathe the smell. I would say a half cup or so of gas in a coffee mug would clear out that whole pile in the picture, or a good sized room if left to evaporate. This works especially well if you’re really not sure where the snake is at like under ground cover or hidden in a closet or something.

The problem with this is that now you’ve got a bunch of gas stinking up the place, not to mention causing a fire hazard, but the snakes WILL leave. The good part about this is that it works especially well with pit vipers which are usually poisonous. So take your pick.

58. BubU says:

Mothballs. Snakes HATE Mothballs. Start in the attic the first day, then the next lower level the next day, and so on down until they’re all out of the house. then put them in the yard around the house. Then air out the house because mothballs stink.

59. aleck says:

Absolutely there is a way out. Not sure about Idaho, our state (Ohio) requires a four page disclosure where the owner listing the house spells out everything that went wrong with it in the past four years. Pest infestations are included. The buyer must read and sign the disclosure as a part of the offer. If it comes up after the sale that the owner knew about something and it was not disclosed, the sale can be declared invalid. I am sure most states have similar laws.

Media (especially local) likes to sensationalize events like that without finding all the details.