Rent The $157K Tesla Roadster Electric Car For $25

Want to see what it’s like to drive a $157,000 electric car without having to take out a second mortgage? You’ll soon have a chance, if you’re a member of car-sharing service Getaround, and live near the car’s owner. Just $25 will buy you an hour behind the wheel of a Tesla Roadster Sport, owned by a Getaround member.

Getaround, which is sort of a peer-to-peer version of Zipcar, typically offers such vehicles as your neighbor’s Camry. But the company sees the Tesla as an opportunity to “break a lot of the misperceptions about EVs and we’re excited to be part of that,” according to Getaround co-founder Jessica Scorpio.

Like other cars offered by Getaround, the Tesla belongs to a private owner. In this case, according to Scorpio, it’s someone “who wants as many people to experience it as possible.” Just be careful not to scratch it if you don’t want that $25 rental to cost a whole lot more.

Curious About Electric Vehicles? You Can Now Rent a Tesla for $25 [GOOD]

Comments

1. turkishmonky says:

i don’t fit in a roadster. They need to make one for people with long legs (or over 6′ for that matter)

• nutbastard says:

I’m 6’1″ and I fit just fine in a CRX, for example…

• phil says:

I’m 6’2″ – and was surprised at how comfortable I was in my “fun summer project car”, a Fiat X1/9 (think a smaller Italian version of the Fiero or early MR2, and you’d be close).

Interior layout is more important than overall size.

I’d happy pay $25 to try a Tesla Roadster.

• turkishmonky says:

I would agree to internal space being more important – i fit in a mini just fine, but when I tried the roadster at the Detroit auto show, it felt very cramped to me.

• Kate says:

It’s not the height, it’s the length of legs. I’m 5’9″ and my legs are too long for a lot of cars.

• ccooney says:

what for? Roadsters are already niche, and stretching them could detract from the appeal.

2. nbs2 says:

Is she the daughter of Hank Scorpio?

3. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

I’d be very wary of allowing people to borrow my car, especially a rare and expensive-to-fix vehicle like this… (only 1440 exist so far, to the best of my knowledge)

But then, I’m wary of lending people my pen so… yeah. (There’s one of those electric ‘buzzer’ pens on my desk too, mixed in with all my other generic silver pens. That oughta teach them dirty pen thieves. ;3)

• The cake is a lie! says:

Some people have so much money that this car represents the same value to them that my Corolla represents to me. The difference is that this car probably isn’t their daily driver. I have a client with an S65 Mercedes which is worth over $250K with the work he has done to it. He drives that thing like a rental car. The value of that car is fairly insignificant compared to the amount of money he makes, so if he wrecks it then it isn’t a great loss to him. It is all a matter of perspective I guess. How people value expensive cars is just relative to the level of sacrifice that money really represents to them.

• jason in boston says:

Well put.

About a year ago, there was a deal on slickdeals offering some crazy amount off a Mercedes. People were bitching because they didn’t think spending $60k on a car was a bargain. For people that can afford to live that lifestyle (and can literally burn $60k on a car), it was a killer deal. Not everyone wants to buy a kia or toyota. There are values in higher end cars if you can afford them.

• DarthCoven says:

To be honest, parts shouldn’t be that difficult to come by. It’s basically a Lotus Elise with Tesla’s electric motor and a buttload of batteries (nearly half a ton of them) inside.

4. AustinTXProgrammer says:

That is a good deal. Are there any tracks near it, and what would the get around contract have to say about that? I write this as the owner of a high performance gas car with a price tag of half the roadster.

5. GearheadGeek says:

6. Hi_Hello says:

that’s awesome.

7. Talisker says:

Why not just advertise that you can drive it for $25 until it runs out of juice. It’s the same amount of time.

• ARP says:

Well, city driving can net you about 200 miles and fast highway driving can net you about 150 miles (with a 15 mile spare). So, if you can find a place for the car up to 130 miles per hour (with a few miles to get back home), then you are correct.

Otherwise, troll is obvious.

• Talisker says:

The automotive reviewers are getting around 100 miles on a charge, depending on how much stop and go traffic they are in, what accessories they are using (like a/c or the radio or the headlights), and what the ambient temperature is. Range will drop if you are in hilly areas as well. 25 miles is an exaggeration, of course, but if you drive the Tesla like the sports car that it is you aren’t going to see much more than 100 miles.

• TheGreySpectre says:

It really depends a lot on how you drive it, if you punch it at every light you will get significantly less then driving conservatively. The most efficient way to drive them is around 19mph without ever stopping and then you can get close 400miles range or 300miles range at 35mph without ever stopping. Granted neither of those are normal use scenarios but you can still get 200 with normal driving.

8. nbs2 says:

I’d have done more research, but that requires joining, and joining requires facebook, and facebook is not cool.

• kc2idf says:

nbs2: “How can she confirm that it will be only $25 to rent? Individual owners can set the rate as they choose.”

GearheadGeek: “According to AutoblogGreen, the owner of the Tesla is also the co-founder of GetAround, Jessica Scorpio.”

Assuming that GearheadGeek and AutoblogGreen are correct, I’d say that she is pretty close to the source.

• nbs2 says:

Note to self – remember to reload the page before sending in comments. Otherwise, you may be left looking stupid.

• kc2idf says:

No sweat, dude. Lag happens. Sometimes people don’t see what’s right in front of them, either (something of which I am repeatedly guilty).

9. Talisker says:

10. TasteyCat says:

In the event of an insurance claim, you pay a $500 deductible. What assurances do you have that you won’t be falsely accused of something the owner has done to the car?

• phil says:

I just want a chance to drive the car – safely and sanely. I’d be happy to allow the owner to occupy the passenger seat…

• The cake is a lie! says:

Probably the same assurance you have when you rent any car. They do a walk around first and mark off anything that you don’t want responsibility for. Anything new when you are done is your bad. Besides, I’m fairly sure you would want your 60 minutes done at a track somewhere and not just cruising through town in traffic. It is a super car and not a mini van…

11. Rebecca K-S says:

Pretty cool!

12. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

At one point I was seriously considering getting one of these (Back when they were $99K) buying some solar panels to charge it with and never buying gasoline again. I want to rent this thing and more than once! as long as they will sign a property release.

• ARP says:

Well if you drive a lot, you’d need plenty of panels. If you’re a short commuter or weekend driver, this would work.

13. rbb says:

I hope they don’t have the problem Hertz had in the 60′s – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Mustang

Shelby struck a deal with the Hertz Corporation to produce a special line of GT350s for rent which were subsequently sold to the public after their rental-car lives were finished. These “GT350H” cars are sought-after today, with some examples selling for more than $200,000. Shelby produced 1003 of these cars. Most Hertz cars featured gold LeMans stripes and rocker panel stripes. Some were white with blue stripes. Early Hertz cars were available with four-speed manual transmissions until so many cars were returned from rental with burned and broken clutch assemblies that all of the later cars shipped to Hertz were equipped with an automatic transmission.There are stories, possibly apocryphal, that many were rented to use as production class cars at SCCA events, returned with different engines, holes where roll bars had been welded in, etc.

14. acarr260 says:

You also have to let their “app” have access to all of your Facebook info (with the ability to spam your wall postings). I got $20 that says this never gets off the ground.

15. JonStewartMill says:

Hasn’t everyone already done the ACLU “this is what facebook tracks in their apps” app?

There’s a supreme irony in the idea of installing a Facebook app that will tell me how insecure Facebook apps are. I think I’ll stick to my current strategy: don’t install ANY Facebook apps.

16. FrugalFreak says:

how much just to sit in it and get a photo?

17. crb042 says:

Back of the envelope math here.

157k divided by 25 says the price of the car is worth 6280 hours of driving it.

Now if you drive it, say, 40 miles an hour average, that’s over 250,000 miles on the car.

What’s the lifetime expectancy of this car anyways? Will the batteries take that long a charge? Don’t most hybrid batteries die out by 100k?

Or, this means the $25 estimate is way low.