Survey: Facebook Users Compelled To Update Status From Bathroom

If you’ve ever wondered how some of your Facebook friends find the time to update their status as frequently as they do, a new survey may have an answer. According to the study, from AIS Media, 27% of people use Facebook in the bathroom. Good thing they’re not actually including details about that in their updates.

According to AIS, women are more likely to spend time on Facebook in the can; 54.4% of those answering “yes” to bathroom usage were female and 45.6% were male. AIS, which works with the advertising industry, sees a marketing opportunity in the numbers:

“While it may seem humorous to survey people about their Facebook usage while in the bathroom, the results underscore the proliferation of consumer social media usage and their strong need to stay connected”, said Thomas Harpointner, CEO of at AIS Media, Inc. “For businesses and brands, social media offers an opportunity to engage potential customers like never before.”

Dr. Edward E. Rigdon of Georgia State University theorizes that the usage is driven by an irresistible urge: “I imagine most people carry their phone with them, in pocket or purse. People receive emails on their phone alerting them to Facebook messages or postings, and many people respond by reflex.” We just hope they’re washing their hands first.

27% of People Can’t Resist the Urge to Use Facebook on Their Mobile Device In the Bathroom [Press Release]

Comments

1. darcmosch says:

No wonder keyboards are so dirty!

2. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Good thing they’re not actually including details about that in their updates.

You’ve never been to STFU, Parents, have you?

• dragonfire81 says:

Further proving that yes, some idiots will put ANYTHING on facebook!

• biggieshorty says:

Wow. Thanks for that. I just grossed myself out for 20 minutes reading about placenta sandwiches and and varts. Breeders are weird.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Yeah, I should have added a disclaimer after that link. I’d honestly forgotten about the placenta stuff; I try to skip any post that includes a photo now. I’m all about raging at the status-jackers.

I posted the link to the site because I happened to read the text for the latest potty post though and it turned out not to be a photo of “baby’s first dump” like it usually is but a photo of the kid pointing at the dump MOMMY just took.

Someone not only took a photo of their own dump to share on Facebook but they got their kid in the shot too. WTF!

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think he’s reading too much into it. I don’t think it’s really about “staying connected.” Unless reading is an impulse as well, it’s probably just about people having something to occupy themselves. Phones are more discreet than newspapers or books.

• teke367 says:

Exactly, smartphones are basically modern day newspapers, its just “something to do.” I’m sure 50% or so of Angry BIrds players have done so in the bathroom too.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

But newspapers and books don’t beep and boop while their readers are on the pot. I can always tell someone’s on their phone in the bathroom. Hell, I’ve done it myself (texted).

Not that I care, people. Go ahead, although if you drop the phone in the toilet know that I WILL laugh. And then I’ll refer you to the Consumerist article about how to get moisture out of a cell.

• spindle789 says:

My cell phone is not R2D2. There are silencing functions. I find it worse when people are in the bathroom speaking on the phone. cellphones are more sensitive these days, and I am not a fan of the background sounds they pick up when I am chatting with someone who is in a restroom.

4. Darrone says:

This explains why most updates are just a pile of sh*t

5. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

> Good thing they’re not actually including details about that in their updates.

That’s what Twitter is for.

6. macoan says:

And my friends wonder why my status is usually “Yea, everything came out alright” or “Ugh, that doesn’t look right”

7. MaliBoo Radley says:

This doesn’t seem that strange to me. When I was growing up, we always had reading materials in the bathroom – the daily paper, a magazine, couple of books. Now, you can have all of those things on your phone. If you’re got your phone out, you’re likely to go to FB and update your status. I imagine for many people, during the day at work, the bathroom is the only place they can update their status .. because it’s the only place that’s private.

8. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

So is there some sort of weird Internet miasma I should be worried about? Are Facebook electrons dirty?

I’m surprised anyone’s surprised. People have been reading in the bathroom since before toilet paper. (In part because of a lack of toilet paper, I hear Sears-Roebuck catalogs were oh so gentle.)

9. Andyb2260 says:

I work with a guy who once updated his Facebook Status to “They’re paying me to poop” while using the rest room at work. TMFI

10. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Dr. Edward E. Rigdon of Georgia State University theorizes that the usage is driven by an irresistible urge.”

Yes, and that urge being… oh, nevermind. You get it.

11. 12345678nine says:

I’m feeling pretty superior right now. Since becoming a vegetarian I no longer need to use the restroom for a long enough time to whip out a gameboy or a book.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I… don’t think that has anything to do with it….

• 12345678nine says:

What do you mean? Back in the days of me actually having a gameboy I used to play that and read a lot of archie comics in the ol’ potty.
        For the last several years things just come out easier and more regularly. My colon is always pretty much cleaned out. TMI? idgaf.

• aloria says:

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, now eat meat pretty much every chance I get to make up for lost time. It doesn’t take me any more or less time to use the bathroom now then it did then– approximately 3 minutes including washing my hands.

No one is a match for my turbo colon.

12. Me - now with more humidity says:

No wonder so many posts are crap.

13. operator207 says:

In other news, the Workers Commission released a new report showing that more workers are taking more bathroom breaks in the start of 2011, than all of 2010.

14. MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

“I don’t remember eating corn…”

three people like this.

15. palfas says:
  16. kcvaliant says:

I am on the toilet right now.

Guys have went from reading the paper in the stalls to playing on their smartphones.

17. kcvaliant says:

I am on the toilet right now.

18. DurkaDurkaDurka says:

So if because of this and the fact that a majority of Americans are Christian, does that explain so many “HOLY SHIT” status updates?

19. Keter says:

OMG, it is so nasty to have people talking on the phone in the bathroom. Texting is every bit as nasty. When someone calls me and it’s obvious they’re on the can, I ask them bluntly “are you calling me from the bathroom?” and so far everyone has admitted it. I tell them to call me back when they are done. I do not wonder why so many phones get dropped in the crapper. Disgusting.

20. u1itn0w2day says:

If somebody uses the word kerplunk time for the too much information censor.

21. human_shield says:

So, more toilet paper ads on Facebook?

22. axiomatic says:

The only time I have to make my “Words with friends” moves is on the crapper. In fact I added an Urban dictionary word to describe it. The “Poopmove”.

23. WickedCrispy says:

Note: I DO include the details about that in my updates.

24. gman863 says:

New pet peeve: People who mistake a public restroom stall for a phone booth.

When I worked in retail, I sometimes went to the restroom and all the stalls were occupied. If I waited in line 30 seconds, it was obvious at least two of the throne sitters were on their cell phones.

Go back to work, try again 15 minutes later: Same shoes, same dropped trousers, same cell phones.

Shit or get off the pot.

25. kierzandax says:

“Ok, poop is coming out now.”
    (Like) (Comment)

“Looks like we have a broken arrow and a good amount of regolith.”
    (Like) (Comment)

“Oooo! Clean drop! No wiping needed! AWESOME!!11!1!”
    (Like) (Comment)

26. Ceric Neesh says:

This doesn’t surprise me. I only get 10 minutes between classes, and usually hit the bathroom real quick once I’m in the right building. While I’m in there, I’ll pull out my phone to check my e-mail (since I’m self-employed) and usually hit the Facebook app while it’s convenient. It’s saved me from having to go to a few cancelled classes, as well as helps me figure out lunch plans for the day.

27. carlogesualdo says:

Let ‘em update FB, I say. But don’t bring a phone conversation into a public bathroom. You may not care what people hear you doing over the phone, but *I* do!