Would You Eat A Lion-Meat Taco?

Boca, an Arizona restaurant that has served tacos featuring the meat of alligators, elk, kangaroos and rattlesnakes, has upped the ante with its latest Exotic Taco Wednesday offering: Next month, the restaurant will offer lion tacos. We’re prepared to taste-test the king of the jungle and report back here, if you want us to. Vote now!

The lion meat being used by Boca doesn’t come from an endangered species, according to the restaurant. “I’m doing the African lion to get my name out,” owner Bryan Mazon told the Arizona Star. “I’ve never tried it myself, but this one really caught my eye.” Mazon got the idea from another Arizona restaurant, which served lion burgers during last year’s South Africa-based World Cup. The restaurant sold out, but also encountered protesters.

Boca, gaining a rep for exotic tacos, plans lion-meat offering [Arizona Star]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If the animal is not endangered, and thriving, I do not have a problem with it. If the people want it, they will continue to serve it.

• JoeXJoe says:

I’m vegan… and when I wasn’t I would have eaten it. An animal is an animal.

• Mxx says:

what about human meat? humans are not endangered and thriving..

• AI says:

Loias loves baby baby back ribs. The other other white meat.

• TheGreySpectre says:

The problem with human meat is all those pesky laws regarding human rights, murder and war crimes.

• jokono says:

Humans are not inherently cannibalistic. So, obviously, most have a problem with eating their own kind.

Let me turn the question back to you. Do you have a problem with lions eating wildebeests? Carnivores and omnivores eat animal flesh. Nature. Get over it.

2. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

No, you’re lion?

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Probably, but it doesn’t matter – I’d rather have a cub sandwich.

3. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

As long as it was farm raised/killed, at not from a protected pride/species/preserve, then all I have to say is smack the idiot who puts spices/sauce on it before even tasting it.

4. howie_in_az says:

So it’s socially acceptable to eat duck, cow, chicken, lamb, ostrich, etc but random people are drawing the line at lions?

5. Wolfbird says:

For the record, I voted no because lions are predators and their meat probably tastes like anus. I’d taste a bite, but I wasting meat is a dick move.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Nine out of 10 cannibals agree; vegetarians taste better!

I voted no for the same reason. I’m trying to cut back on my meat intake anyway, so I pick carefully what I eat. What your food eats influences the taste greatly.

• Alvis says:

I voted no because it’s not too hard to guess who the Consumerist taste-tester in Arizona will be.

• Ubik2501 says:

Having tasted lion jerky, I can confirm this. I like game meats, but predators generally taste so gamy that it’s just acrid and foul.

Alligator, elk and rattlesnake are all pretty tasty, though.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

P.S. I also heard that PETA fully endorses this program, and hopes it continues on at other restaurants/diners.

7. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Sure, but why taco? If you’re going for the novelty meat value, at least get a steak or something where you can really savor the flavor.

8. Grungo says:

See my vest, see my vest,
    Made from real gorilla chest!
    Feel this sweater, there’s no better,
    Than authentic Irish setter.

See this hat, ’twas my cat,
    My evening wear – vampire bat,
    These white slippers are albino,
    African endangered rhino.

Grizzly bear underwear,
    Turtles’ necks, I’ve got my share,
    Beret of poodle, on my noodle
    It shall rest!

See my vest, see my vest, see my vest!

9. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

If it’s not endangered and thriving, and slaughtered humanely then there’s no real reason not to beyond contrived sensibilities about how certain animals are intrinsically for eating and others are not.

Granted I wouldn’t eat a cat, but I’m not about to stop other people if they’re into it. Which is quite fortunate for my two cats.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

This is an interesting point. Do parrot owners have similar issues with eating chicken? I doubt it, but our society tends to equate the tabby cat along the same level as a lion and because both are cats, we wouldn’t eat them. I’d never eat a parrot that was someone’s pet, but I love chicken.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

If you want to get into iffy grounds, my friend’s parents own a parrot, and feed her chicken. She loves it.

But then, there are some people who eat monkey meat, and that seems gross to me.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Well generally carnivores don’t taste that good. I mean, I’ve never tried it, but considering how domesticated they are I’d think that if cats tasted at all decent we’d be eating them left and right. I mean, rabbits are cute too, but we’ve definitely been eating them with greater frequency than cats.

• mylucidity says:

I’ve fed my African Grey, Rose Breasted Cockatoo, and Green Cheek Conure well cooked chicken and egg before. Heck, they have a food for birds called egg food… guess what it contains?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

As I have always said, I’ll eat a dog, but I won’t eat my/someone elses dog. Same with cat.

• pawnblue says:

How would you slaughter a lion anyway? Pigs and cows can’t really jump. And they don’t really bite either. In fact, they are typically quite friendly with people they’ve never met before.

I’ve never been in touching distance of a lion, but it would seem like a lion slaughterhouse would have more problems than you do with say… hogs, chickens, or cows. Maybe docility is why we eat them. I’d bet that the lion is hunted, shot, frozen, and shipped.

10. NumberSix says:

None for me. Lions are too close to cats and cats are too much like dogs. Not enough degrees of separation.

11. teke367 says:

I say yes, if only in a “eat them before they eat us” sort of way.

12. Nyall says:

Here’s why I don’t eat predators (ok I eat fish…)

• hobochangbar says:

Fish is the only wild animal allowed to be sold for food in the US. The deer, game birds etc. that are sold have been farm raised and meet usda guidelines. They’ve also been fed “chow” instead of their natural diet.

• Julia789 says:

It is rare for carnivores to eat other carnivores. Food chain has a purpose. :-)

13. laughingisfree says:

I would definitely eat lions meat. An animal has given up its life, the only respectable thing us predators can do is to consume all of its meat. Putting lion meat in tacos to me is messed up. I’d much prefer a nice piece of grilled lion steak tenderloin or a roast.

14. wellfleet says:

Guys, I think they prefer African-American lions, k?

15. aloria says:

JESUS CHRIST IT’S A LION TACO GET IN THE CAR

16. raybury says:

My only requirement would be no sour cream. Not a fan of sour cream.

Almost two years ago I spent a month in Switzerland, in the Francophone region called Romandy. After making one error with horse meat — I figured out that the first part of “entrecôte de cheval” mean rib-eye steak, but not that “de cheval” wasn’t just some fancy French cooking style, but a way to differentiate from rib-eye steak “de beouf” — I thought that something even more bizarre was being served when I saw signs at many restaurants regarding salad and the word “lion.” I thought it meant something well beyond grilled chicken over romaine.

After days of forgetting to look the full term up when I was at a computer, I finally saw an illustration of said salad, then slapped myself for not saying the term out loud as it is a loanword to English: “Salade dent-de-lion” is dandelion salad, involving weeds rather than lion meat.

(There is a more common French term for dandelions that focuses on the overnight diuretic effect consuming them has been known to have: “pissenlit.” That restaurateurs would use the less popular term “dent-de-lion” seems appropriate.)

17. wellfleet says:

I wouldn’t eat it. Lions are carnivores, so their meat is probably contaminated by the other animals they’ve eaten.

18. Reading_Comprehension says:

why not, a lion would eat me if it could

19. evnmorlo says:

Cougar tacos proved to be quite to my taste, so I would not hesitate.

20. lehrdude says:

Tastes like chicken…

21. Iroc says:

Had it before, not bad.
    My grandfather worked for a fur company that did taxidermy during the heavy safari years up to the mid 60s.
    I got to try a lot it unusual meats.
    Lion, Tiger, Water Buffalo, monkey,ect.

22. Southern says:

Article from the Arizona Star and misspelled “Aizona”.. I wonder..

23. danmac says:

I doubt predators taste great…and there’s also the food chain energy pyramid, which stipulates that every step you move up in the food chain, approximately 90% of the useful energy is lost.

This means that a 1lb of ground lion meat = 10lbs of Kenyan = 100lbs of fish = 1,000lbs of locusts = 10,000lbs of grass! I mean, how inefficient can you get?

24. delphi_ote says:

Please don’t support killing a beautiful animal for a stupid publicity stunt. We domesticated the animals we did for a reason. There’s no reason for this.

25. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

It would be interesting to to try one. I’d bet they’re GRRRRRREAT!!!

26. Juravial says:

I thought most cat meat (and cat-esque creatures) tasted terrible because it has an ammonia-like aftertaste. Maybe I’m wrong, but I sorta remember reading it somewhere.

27. suez says:

According to the author of “Guns, Germs and Steel,” it’s actually pretty good. But I don’t think I could, even on a dare. I love cats.

28. Chaosium says:
  29. yessongs says:

Im waiting for the Soylent Green Burgers to come out.

30. Red Cat Linux says:

Okay, I got giggled by “Hakuna Frittata”.

That is all.

31. jp3 says:

Maybe Alf knows…

32. Nevada Scribbler says:

Why not? I eat frosted flakes made from tiger meat. They’re greaaaaaaaaat!

33. Nevada Scribbler says:

I eat frosted flakes made from tiger meat ad they’re greaaaaaat! It’s true. I’m not lion.

34. Press1forDialTone says:

This is *truly* sickening and perverted.

35. stormbird says:

I think there’s a cuteness-to-flavor ratio for animal meat. We don’t eat much lamb because they are cute, while turkeys are kidna ugly. Real cows aren’t as cute as the cartoon cows we have in our mind and rabbit meat is not acceptable for almost anyone that grew up watching Bugs Bunny. Lions are really cute. They’d have to be reeeeeeeally tasty in order to tip the ration towards nom.

36. human_shield says:

An exotic meat, and the best they can do with it is tacos or burgers? Lame.

37. El-Brucio says:

I would feel guilty eating a fellow apex-predator. The closer to “human” in terms of intelligence the animal is, generally the more uneasy I’d feel about it.

So most apes, felines, canines, dolphins are pretty much off the table for me.

It’s also one of the reasons I try not to eat pork.

As for chickens, turkeys and cows – I’ve been around livestock. They’re practically ambulatory vegetables.

38. AnthonyC says:

No, but only because lion populations aren’t doing so well, and because I’m trying to gradually eat lower on the food chain.
    But I have eaten alligator, ostrich and kangaroo, and they were delicious.

39. TouchMyMonkey says:

Eating the meat of carnivores is about the least green thing you can do. Not mention the fact that it’s dangerous. You’re really eating everything the cat ate, and everything what the cat ate ate, and so on. Why do you keep hearing about the dangers of tuna and mercury? Because tuna are CARNIVORUS fish. As in at the top of the food chain.

It’s the same reason Milorganite causes cancer – because it’s made of human shit, and humans are at the tippy-top of Earth’s food chain. Get it?

40. FrankReality says:

I wouldn’t – not a fan of tacos.

So, if you ate a lion-meat taco, and your stomach started to make noises would it ROAR?

41. RiverStyX says:

Im conflicted.
    I dont want to eat a lion because they’re so damn cool.
    But then again, if you were in the jungle – He would eat you just because he could.

42. Razor512 says:

It is mean to kill lions. each time you kill a lion, you are depriving the world of some intense cuteness.

• SixOfOne says:

It is also mean to keep them in deplorable conditions, which is almost certainly where the lion meat that this horrible restaurant procures will come from. Lions that no one wants any more, have been starved and neglected.

It makes me sick.

43. kmw2 says:

What kind of a restaurateur serves food he’s never tried himself? Oh right, I know – the one trying to drive business to his door with a cheap gimmick, and succeeds in getting his restaurant on the internet! I wouldn’t try it because this guy’s attitude says nothing good about the quality of the offering, even if his sources of lion meat are actually ethical. (Which, frankly, is unlikely.)

44. YokoOhNo says:

Me Man…Me Eat Meat….Me Like Kill Things…Me Must Compensate For Small Penis/Breasts…Me Natural, Like Ancestors…Me Believe Earth Flat and Sun Revolve Around Earth…Me Not Evolve Much From Ancestors…Me Macho, Macho Man

Guys want to eat lion for the same reason they want a Corvette or big truck….to compensate

45. cete-of-badgers says:

Uh, they are large cats, just like the Consumerist mascot(s). You want cats slaughtered and eaten in the US because some dickhead in Arizona wants a gimmick?

46. HogwartsProfessor says:

Bleah. No way.

47. dilbert69 says:

Hell no. My cat would smell it on my breath.

48. Gregg Araki Rocks My World says:

Honestly, if this gets any sort of legs as a controversy, I would expect the National Review to have somebody write a libertarian/Randian editorial about how this is the way you save endangered species – by convincing people to eat them, and therefore, want to raise them and sell them.

It’s a bit crazy and more than a little anthrocentric, but this is how they think, especially the Randians – nature exists to serve man, and in the final calculation, only things that have definable economic value to man have the right to exist.

49. Firevine says:

I’ll eat almost anything on a taco.

50. f3rg says:

Unlike a cow, a lion really would eat us if we didn’t eat it first.

51. BETH says:

I would throw up.

52. kiki1 says:

The wild lion population has fallen from roughly 450,000 to 20,000 over the past decade or so. They may not be endangered yet, but just wait a couple years. This meat will come from captive raised animals, who spent their entire lives in a small cage with all their natural instincts repressed. Please don’t an industry that makes so much money off the suffering of others, human or animals.