Starbucks Trenta Slightly Larger Than Average Human Stomach Capacity

A graphic is making the rounds comparing the volume of the new Big-Gulp sized Starbucks Trenta and the average capacity of the human stomach. Seems that the Trenta’s 30.9 fluid ounces are slightly more than that of the average adult human’s, 30.4. I don’t really see what the big deal is. Obviously people will just take a break from chugging ice coffee and go to the bathroom and then go back and drink more ice coffee.

See, for comparison, 7-11 sells drinks in 20, 44, 64 and 128 oz sizes, known as the Gulp, Super Big Gulp, Double Gulp, and Team Gulp, respectively. No one goes around making funny pictures of them.

But those are for truck drivers, right? Well, this a 34 ounce Nissan thermos. So, basically Starbucks is selling you a plastic, disposable, thermos full of coffee. Well, guess what, Mr. Fancypants? Some days when you’re pulling a long-haul of Powerpoints and your budget request is getting jacknifed coming off of Mt. Sheetrollzdownhill, you just need a dang Trenta full of iced coffee to get you through it.

What’s even better is that you can buy two, drink one, and then use it to empty out your average adult human stomach into later, discreetly, under your desk. With a sly toss out of your work area, no one needs to know that you’re the one responsible for the “cubicle bomb.”

Graphic: How big, exactly, is Starbucks’ new ‘Trenta’ size? [National Post]

PREVIOUSLY
Starbucks Drops A 31-Ounce Bomb: The Trenta

Comments

1. Alvis says:

Excellent use of snark.

2. Cosmo_Kramer says:

I’m surprised (in a positive way) by the direction this article took. Common sense FTW.

• danmac says:

Totally agree…I was going to swoosh in here and complain about how idiotic this graphic is, but Ben’s dripping sarcasm conveyed my feelings about the stupid thing perfectly.

3. Red Cat Linux says:

If I consumed that much caffeine I would be on the ceiling for the next week. This is also why I can’t mess with Big Gulps.

4. The cake is a lie! says:

You could create a whole other website on marketing and criticism of marketing that doesn’t make any sense. I’m not entirely sure what the value of that is here… Ok, so Starbucks has a cup that is larger than my stomach and someone pointed that out. sooooooooo….?

5. danic512 says:

This is terribly dumb. This size is for iced drinks only, and there is still going to be a ton of ice left over when the average person is done with drink itself.

• OSAM says:

30oz cup = 20oz ice.

• carlogesualdo says:

So true. I carry a 32 oz. insulated mug full of ice to work every day. I dump one can of Coke into it and it fills up to the brim. Therefore 32 oz.+ice=12 ounces of liquid. And you can’t count ice-melt because that’s just water (unless you’re freezing the coffee?)

6. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Soooooooo whaaaaaaaaat?

Seriously. As stated, it’s the size of a Big Gulp, which is already a beverage container that already exists without bursting people’s stomach’s. Meanwhile, it’s used for iced drinks that have a ton of ice in them. Finally, I don’t know about the rest of the world, but even with hot drinks I sip my coffee. It’ll go lukewarm but I’ll still drink it because I’m working on something, and I’m not the only one who does that.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

It’s 4:25 here and I’m just now finishing the coffee I bought at 10 am. Still delicious, just iced now.

7. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

next coming…

the “American” Size!!!!

8. turkishmonky says:

Speaking as someone who’s chugged a two-liter of water, I don’t really see this as a big deal either. Stomachs expand.

9. Qantaqa says:

I sincerely wish I had one of these when I was writing my thesis. I wouldn’t have slept for days and the last few pages would all say “screw Flanders” over and over, but still.

• Cantras says:

I remember working on a paper for which I was heavily caffeinated, both by Mountain dew and caffeine pills. I met a friend for breakfast — after having not slept all night, and not completing my paper — and he later quoted my inane ramblings on his facebook wall.

“My hands… they’re covered in grapefruit. And sugar.”

10. drizzt380 says:

Fortunately, theres quite a bit more to your digestive system than the stomach.

You would have to drink pretty fast to down that much before .5 ounces moved along. So fast that I’m sure there would still be tons of ice left.

11. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

GET IN MY BELLY!!

12. kcarlson says:

I plan on holding out for the Quaranta…

13. AllanG54 says:

I don’t believe this graphic at all because just try showing this to the guy who ate 56 hotdogs at the Nathan’s contest last July. He must have downed a quart of liquid just dipping the buns into the water so he could get them down quicker.

• GinaLouise says:

Good point, but the training that professional competitive eaters do is specifically aimed at stretching out the stomach. Joey Chesnut (from San Jose! Bay Area pride! Woo!) had to work to get his stomach stretched enough to accommodate all those hot dogs. Yes, I am a dork.

• Rena says:

I don’t think he counts as “average”. Also, ew.

14. JaySherman says:

I fail to see why some people are making such a big deal about this. I can get a larger drink at my local convenience store fountain. My local 7-11 has 64 ounce fountain drinks and as I recall many fast food restaurants have larger drink sizes (or comparable sizes)

This size has been around for a while at my local Starbucks. I’ve even gotten a refill using the same cup (same visit) and get charged next to nothing for the refill.

It is only for iced drinks for now although Starbucks does sell what is referred to as a “Press” if you want the equivilant of your own pot of coffee.

Seems like someone is trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

• ZenMasterKel says:

Because it’s Starbucks and this website hates Starbucks, Best Buy and every other popular company.

• danmac says:

Did you not get the sarcastic tone of the article, which actually kind of rips on the graphic and says it’s ridiculous? In this case, Consumerist isn’t attacking Starbucks at all.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

My roomies picked up a KFC family bucket last week and came home with a bucket of soda; about the size of a Big Gulp, it had a handle and everything.

• AlphaLackey says:

Double Gulps haven’t been 64 oz. in a while. They were victims of Convenience Store Shrink Ray. They are now more expensive and smaller than a two litre bottle of the same pop — not to mention the lower quality :( 7-11, how thou has forsaken me..

15. TrinityLast says:

How is it we see the story of Starbucks’ 31 oz drink size all over the web, but no one even noticed when Coffee Bean did the same thing over SIX MONTHS ago?

Because, YES! There’s a 32 oz cold drink size at Coffee Bean/Tea Leaf. Has been for quite some time. They had the cups on display and big signs saying so at least six months ago, I’m pretty sure before that, too.

16. sirwired says:

This just means you can’t chug the thing rapidly… the small intestine rapidly admits liquids for full absorption into the bloodstream. Also, the stomach is quite stretchy.

17. Jubes says:

Most iced drinks are about 1/3 ice anyway, so really, a person who buys one of these isn’t going to get 30 oz of the drink unless they finish all the ice as well. What’s the big freaking deal? In the summer I used to get a tall and a venti on the way to work because it was normally in the 30Cs and I had no a/c in the car. The tall was for the ride and then I sipped on the drink for a few hours over the shift, most nights it took the better part of the 8 hour shift to finish it. I also drink a lot of water every day so peeing hourly isn’t unusual for me lol

18. mandy_Reeves says:

well I agree with the article…mainly because I get a large iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts…which is like 24 oz I think? can’t remember. And by the time I’m done…I am so filled, I feel like Violet Beauregaurd from Willy Wonka. All the Oompa Loompas having to roll me away.

19. TechProcurement says:

This must be caffeinated induced ramblings!

20. VOIDMunashii says:

You have a chance to attack Starbucks, and you don’t? Is it opposite day?

Seriously, I don’t see a problem with this, I mean first of all the stomach can stretch (ever seen a competitive eater in action?), and secondly, I seriously doubt anyone is going to down it fast enough to overflow their stomach anyway.

21. rbb says:

“See, for comparison, 7-11 sells drinks in 20, 44, 64 and 128 oz sizes, known as the Gulp, Super Big Gulp, Double Gulp, and Team Gulp, respectively.”

Substitute “Pee” for “Gulp” and you have a more accurate description…

22. sumocat says:

Correction: The Super Big Gulp got downsized to a mere 40 oz. as part of their diabolical plot to get me to drink less soda. (But I outsmarted them and switched to the Double Gulp instead. Who’s the chump now, 7-11? Hahahaha… uh, wait a second…)

23. ahecht says:

Yet no one complains about Sonic’s 44oz drinks.

24. UberGeek says:

Just order it without ice.

25. allknowingtomato says:

The REAL reason this infographic is stupid is that the entire GI tract absorbs water, not just the large intestine. so even if you were to order a trenta no ice iced coffee and drink the whole thing in a fast but not insane period of time, your stomach would not have to hold the entire contents; some would be absorbed through the lining of the stomach. this process continues somewhat throughout the GI tract and then rapidly accelerates in the large intestine.

Also, is this an average adult human or adult american stomach? i’d bet americans, on average, have bigger stomach capacities than your avg human.

so, meh. I’ve seen bigger beverages, including caffeinated ones. non-story to me.

26. Skid Malfoy says:

Wow, this late into 2011 and it’s still fun to bag on Starbucks. Yet no one says anything when McDs shrikifies (my term, thank you) their iced coffees down to medium from large – and no longer offers a large – and still charges the same price.

I, for one welcome, my new soggy hypersaturated GI tract.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Really? That sucks. :( I can drink a lot more of the iced coffee (any cold drink, really) than a hot one. I like a big iced coffee in the summer. McD’s was the place I would stop to get them since they were cheaper.

27. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Average Human

In college I could down the 64oz double gulps without blinking.

• danmac says:

Similarly, I could down an 18-pack of beer (216 ounces). Amazingly enough, my stomach never exploded…it’s as if the beer migrated out of my stomach as I drank it!

28. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

A 31-ounce iced coffee is barely 20 ounces once you subtract the ice, so BFD. And yes, I’ve always thought “geez, you don’t really get much iced coffee in the Venti, I wish they had a bigger size.”

I for one welcome our icy-cold caffeinated Trenta overlords!

(Is it me, or does “Trenta” sound too much like “Trenton?”)

29. Mulva says:

I agree with all that has been said about the Big Gulp, razzing on Starbucks, etc., but I still think they should call it the Corpulenta.

30. Caveat says:

It should actually have been increased slightly in size and called Litro. They don’t use ounces in Italy or the rest of Europe.

31. Randy_Jeffay says:

What is the big deal??? 7-11 has been selling the Super Big Gulp for years. That is 64 ounces…or 1/2 a gallon of liquid. And if you get sugared soda i can not even guess how much sugar!

32. Jerem43 says:

The large size at a movie theater is 40-42 oz, and you’re getting excited over a similarly sized coffee drink? You’ll get the same amount or more of sugar and caffeine if it’s cola, diet cola, Dr. Pepper or Barq’s.

33. LINIStittles says:

I’d just like to say that I have a Nissan Thermos like the one Ben linked to (but 16oz, not stomach size) and it’s amazing. That is all.

34. taaurrus says:

That is a idiotic size for a coffee – unless you plan on carrying a microwave around with you. My coffee would be cold before I even drank half of it.

35. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

at my movie theater, drink sizes are as follows:
    Junior: 16 oz
    Small: 21-22 oz (depending on the vendor we get cups from)
    Medium: 32 oz
    Large: 44 oz

now keep in mind that it’s filled about 1/3 full of crushed ice.
    also, i dispute the fact that average human stomach is 30.4 oz.