Personal Finance Roundup

6 Ways to Save Money on iPads, iPhones, and Macs [Wise Bread] “Here are six ways you can ‘go Apple’ and save some money while you’re at it.”

How Not to Land a Job: 18 Interview No-Nos [Money Talks News] “Avoid these mistakes – some common and others just weird – at your next interview.”

Keep Your Ride Rolling: Tips For a Longer Lasting Car [Mint Life Blog] “Some good advice for my fellow car owners.”

The Importance of Salary Negotiation [Get Rich Slowly] “No matter how much money an employer offers you, it’s never Enough. Ask for more.”

5 Bad Financial Decisions and How to Recover [Yahoo Finance] “Some frequent missteps consumers make as they navigate their finances.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

Comments

1. OnePumpChump says:

“Hugged hiring manager at the end of the interview.”

You’d better be ready to go all the way if you’re going to do that.

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

About asking for a raise… I did that when i was last promoted. The offer is always a low-ball. In my case the offer was for a strange amount of money that must have been calculated by taking the average salary for the job and subtracting a percentage. I negotiated for the next even dollar amount, which resulted in an immediate raise of slightly less than 200 dollars a month. Didn’t think they’d take it, but they did.

My next negotiation will happen soon. I’ve been given the duties of the job one pay grade above mine, and I can prove it; the catch is that I’m not going to be given the promotion because I don’t have all of the qualifications. I’ll be working on that, but in the meantime I’ll ask for a raise in lieu of promotion.

3. Sneeje says:

These articles about raise negotiation are so often trotted out without *any* evidence (empirical or otherwise) justifying how often this is viable or successful. My own observations make me think it is very often not productive.

1) Compensation negotiation is very context-specific. As an example, I don’t believe that companies with standard benefit packages based on length of time with the company will EVER negotiate benefits (outside of C-suite positions) because it places too much of a strain on their HR systems and policies.
    2) Being able to negotiate requires being in a position of strength–you either have to be strongly desired over other candidates and/or be willing to walk away from the position. This happens much more seldom than these articles imply.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Asking doesn’t hurt. But it can help.

It’s context specific, but the concept doesn’t change.

If they are offering you the job, you are their most desired condidate. That IS a position of strength.

• Sneeje says:

I understand your point, but
        a) asking can hurt, especially if those involved in the negotiation are involved in your future salary increase discussions
        b) being the most desirable candidate does not mean they don’t have an acceptable alternative, which you don’t know–weakening your position

It all comes down to risk and whether you are willing to walk away. Here is what I’ve seen as an extremely common response both to me and others (I consult to HR orgs): we don’t negotiate, our offer is our offer.

4. Mr. Stupid says:

Another way to save money on Apple “products” is buying iTunes cards at a discount. You can do this at BJ’s Wholesale… I think a $30 gift card can be had for $27 or thereabouts. I just found out about this a few weeks ago.