The Pitfalls Of Buying And Returning Swimsuits Online

Amanda is frustrated with Amazon’s decision to only refund half of her purchase price on some swimwear she bought and returned because it was too large. She says she may have violated the site’s returns and refunds policy because she opened the plastic package to see if the suits fit her. She left the tags intact and believes she deserves a full refund.

She writes:

After checking returns policies and being sure I could even return swimwear — yes.

The swimsuits did come in plastic bags which I had to open to even size up against other clothes or try on over a diaper. $67 worth and none of them worked. I rechecked the return policy since they were all big, and rather than keeping them, it was super easy to return and buy again when I needed them. I put them in their plastic bags again, still with all their tags, some not even tried on, and this is the return policy they must’ve applied:

Any item that is not in its original condition, is damaged, or is missing parts for reasons not due to our error: up to 50% of item’s price

After the deduction for shipping, I got $27 back. I am outraged, and let them know. I was just surprised I saw no similar experience on your site!

What products do you refuse to buy online for fear that they won’t fit your needs and will be difficult to return?

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

In the case of swimsuits and underwear, I’m on amazon’s side in this case. You can’t sell used/worn underwear or swimsuits.

• Supes says:

Amazon’s official policy on the matter, from there website and quoted above:

“Amazon.com will gladly accept returns of unworn underwear and swimwear that it is in its original condition with all tags and packaging intact.”

So she opened up the packaging on all of them (a plastic bag is packaging, strike one against a return), and she tried on some of them (maybe not all, but Amazon doesn’t know that, strike two against a return).

I don’t know why she’s upset, she got almost half back which seems generous given the circumstances. It seems like they had no obligation to accept any return here.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree, and she even states the policy in her email to Consumerist – I don’t understand how she thinks “packaging intact” means anything other than the obvious. She opened the bags, therefore the packaging is no longer intact.

• Azzizzi says:

I think she’s focusing on the notion that while it’s folded/wadded in the package, she has no way of seeing if it would fit her. To do that, she has to open the package. I don’t disagree with the policy or Amazon refunding only 50 percent. I just think this is where she’s coming from.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I understand that completely, it’s just that it’s one of those things that is spelled out in the return policy, and I would have chalked it up to a lesson learned and would have tried to sell them on eBay or craigslist to recoup the cost.

• jmhart says:

I’m with you. I’m all about consumer activism, but seriously, this woman was just wrong. I feel like it discredits Consumerists as a legitimate leader in the consumer activism community by publishing stories like this.

I feel like a retraction and apology to Amazon is in order from the woman.

• AustinDan says:

• TerpBE says:

…unless you own a vending machine in Japan.

• YokoOhNo says:

Are you suggesting they won’t resell them and will take 50% for the swimming costume that they are going to destroy?

They only received 50% of the original sales price for the swimming costumes and, by your statement, will have to “write off” the balance. (I don’t know what it means to write off something but the do)

• erinpac says:

Depending on their agreement with whatever manufacturer, they may get part of that back if it is recorded as unsold merchandise, destroyed. So, perhaps.

• Jubes says:

Same, I think it’s actually quite generous of Amazon to refund a portion. I used to sell bathing suits and the only suits we would accept exchanges for were board shorts with liners in them. Anything else was final sale, and we made it very clear through out the stages of trying them on and buying them. I can definitely understand why a person would choose to buy a suit online (embarrassment, etc), bathing suits are like underwear. Generally things like that are non-refundable.

• NatalieErin says:

I can’t remember the store, but the last place I bought a swim suit from sent it with a paper liner in place so I could try it on and return if it didn’t fit.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

“You can’t sell used/worn underwear or swimsuits.”

Not even if they pass the sniff’n’snorkel test?

• MarvinMar says:

Ever check Ebay.
      Buy it, wear it, sell it for triple, profit!

2. Crunchbones says:

I, on the other hand, am glad that Amazon doesn’t take back used swimwear without a fight. If you’re unsure on sizing, Amazon isn’t the place to buy it, especially when it is something like swimsuits or underwear.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Came to say this. Your best bet is to find a retailer that sells the same merchandise and try it on at the store (over your underwear of course, thank you).

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree. I have also found that it helps to know your measurements and the lingo of the different materials so you can tell how thick the fabric might be if you do happen to be shopping online.

• kujospam says:

Although I agree that is the best bet, it is wrong to do if you know you are not going to buy from them. I personally think, that they should give out like plastic or cheap cloth item for the size you ordered. An example would be, say you ordered a size Large T-shirt. They send you a plastic L-tshirt, and the shirt you ordered. You try the plastic t shirt first, and if that fits, then you know the other shirt will fit. I wouldn’t think it would be too expensive to do this, but if it is, then charge the customer a dollar more for it, and ask if they want it next time they order. That way you have less size problems. You don’t get rid of them, especially when it comes to suits and dresses, but for general pants, shorts, shirts and the like, it will take care of wonderfully.

• Areia says:

Companies aren’t always honest about their sizing though. When I tried to buy a suit from Land’s End I carefully measured myself and ordered the size suggested by their size chart. When I tried the suit on it was so large on me it wouldn’t even stay up without the straps.

It took me two more orders to get one that fit, and I ended up with a suit two sizes smaller than the one they told me to get. Thankfully Land’s End offered full refunds and free returns for all the suits I ended up sending back. I agree she should’ve checked the policy, but I don’t think it’s a reasonable one for this type of product.

• jesusofcool says:

I agree. Generally, clothing is the only thing I won’t order online unless I absolutely know my size with that company, either because I own a similar item or have tried the item or a similar one on in store. I ordered a swim suit once online and only because I couldn’t find a physical store that sold the one I wanted. I ordered from Victoria’s Secret though and they have a really generous return policy – probably because their clothes/swimsuits aren’t available in any store (which is too bad since they have cute things but their clothes sizing can be bonkers).

3. dush says:

It’s probably because the bags were opened. They have no way of knowing whether they got put on or not.

4. denisem says:

I hope they threw the returned suit in the garbage and didn’t just put on a suit that had been tried on back on the shelf for someone else to buy!

The letter writer did the wrong and extremely unsanitary thing by trying to return a tried on suit. If you don’t know if something will fit then go and try thing on in a store with supervision.

• SkepticalSue says:

I don’t know where you buy your swimsuits, but I’ve never been supervised in the fitting room when I try them on at Old Navy or Target. They put that little pantyliner on the crotches to make an attempt at hygiene. I assume the swimsuits from Amazon came with the same thingamajig.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I would never go to a store where you needed supervision to try on a swimsuit.

5. TheRedSeven says:

And here’s how to game the system–re-seal the bags.

Go to your local Kinko’s or print shop or “guy you know that shrink wraps stuff”, and re-seal the bags. Of course, this requires opening them carefully in the first place.

Or, alternatively, you could try them on in a store, then order them online, making sure to get the same manufacturer/style/size that fit you in the store…

• stoneburner says:

So the solution is to committ fraud?

• dragonfire81 says:

Exactly! Don’t you know it’s ok when you do it but wrong when companies do it to you?

• Bsamm09 says:

I’ve never had a company try on my swimsuit and then put it back in my drawer. Is that a normal thing?

• Azzizzi says:

I also disagree with the practice of going into someone’s store, trying on his/her merchandise with no intention of buying, leaving the store without making a purchase, and then buying it online.

• wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

Well, yes. It’s a little ludicrous that a person can’t order something from an online store and return it because the plastic bag it came in was opened. Unless there is some virtual way to try the suits on, or even size them up- no one knows. I would imagine that there was a pantyliner in there just like in the B&M stores. And to boot, I just checked Unique Vintage and Victoria’s Secret online store return policies and they mention nothing about exceptions for undergarments and swim suits. Amazon shouldn’t sell clothing that can’t be tried on and returned with confidence.

• GregoryMoose says:

That is Amazon’s return policy. They spell it out exactly and adhered to it. If someone doesn’t like the policy, then they shouldn’t buy from Amazon. But I don’t understand how you can read that policy and expect that you can take it out of the packaging, try it on, and still return it.

Amazon did nothing wrong.

• pop top says:

Here’s the thing though: The OP read the return policy beforehand and chose to go through with the transaction. She didn’t have to buy the swimsuits from Amazon if she didn’t like their policies.

• stoneburner says:

What’s ludicrous is people who think that rules don’t apply to them. If you or the OP doesn’t like Amazon’s policies, there’s nothing preventing you from taking your business elsewhere.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Some states have a “no try on” policy for swimwear. I believe New Hampshire had/has this law.

• TWSS says:

My first reaction was “That’s bullshit”.

My second reaction was “Meh, it’s New Hampshire. It’s not like they’re hanging out on the beach all year.”

6. calchip says:

I think this is one of those cases where the OP is totally in the wrong. Amazon’s policy is clear… “unworn and with original packaging intact” is clearly stated in Amazon’s return policy, which is most likely dictated by state law.

So what part of that did she not understand? They cannot legally resell it, so even offering 50% is incredibly generous in my book.

7. andyg8180 says:

shoulda just kept them and put on a little weight lol… I KIDDD but yea its a horrid idea to buy a swimsuit online knowing someone possibly tried it on… So no fault in the amazon dept… i think they are in the right…

8. Supes says:

No returns on underwear or swimwear is an extremely common policy. She got about half back, and that’s not too bad.

9. jeffile says:

I can’t believe she tried the suit at home while wearing a diaper. Sounds to me like she is just trying to justify her actions.

• K-Bo says:

I was wondering about this too. Does she keep diapers at home? Would a bathing suit that fit over a diaper fit without one?

• nforcer says:

Well, no. She stated that they were all too big, so diaper or not, they didn’t fit.

Regardless, though, I highly doubt she wore a diaper or anything else of the sort to try these on.

• pop top says:

The OP probably has a child (do some critical thinking here people) that still wears diapers. Phil left out useful information, like usual.

• K-Bo says:

Critical thinking tells me very few people fit into their childrens diapers. Also, it tells me that diapers are way too thick to give you a good idea whether a bathing suit will fit without one..

• erinpac says:

Even if she did fit… why would anyone use a diaper and not, even if they were trying to be sanitary, bike shorts or something similar?

• danmac says:

That sentence set off cynic alarms in my head as well.

I’m guessing that she made up the diaper bit so that she could tell Amazon that she never actually wore the bathing suit. In reality, she probably tried everything on without removing the tags and found it didn’t fit, then lied about wearing a diaper so that Amazon wouldn’t tell her that trying on the garments rendered them unreturnable.

I mean, how are you supposed to tell whether a bathing suit fits when you’re wearing a diaper anyway?

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

If I was Amazon I wouldn’t accept returns from an adult who needs diapers.

10. nicoleintrovert says:

Many places have a “No returns on swimwear PERIOD!” policy. This is rather generous when it comes to returns on swimwear.

11. Foot_Note says:

cue the futurama episode with fry trying on the “demo” pair of undies *Ewww*

12. pop top says:

Oh look, an article where the OP is obviously wrong. I wonder who wrote it?

This would be like getting mad at a store that informs you it requires receipts with all returns and you don’t have a receipt and try to return it anyway.

13. sirwired says:

The policy is pretty clear: “original condition with all tags and packaging intact.” If the bag is open, then it isn’t “intact.”

14. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Trying on a swimsuit is not the same as wearing a swimsuit. How is trying on the Amazon one any different than trying one on at Macy’s? How on earth would a woman find a decent fitting suit without trying a bunch of them on (over undies, of course)? If a tried-on suit is “used”, then all the B&M stores selling them are selling used suits.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

When I’m at the store, I can hold something up and immediately tell whether I’ll be able to fit into it, whether I like the fabric, the details, etc. It’s not really the same when you’re browsing online. Also, when you’re at the store, you haven’t purchased the swimsuit. If you buy a suit and return it, the store takes a hit because it can’t sell that item anymore and it has to refund your purchase, which is why most stores reject returns on swimsuits or refund 50%. There’s nothing to prevent you from trying on a swimsuit at the store, but as long as you haven’t purchased it, the store can still sell it.

• Snowball2 says:

Of course the store turns around and resells its returns. No store is automatically throwing away a returned swimsuit.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

You know, I bet they do, and there are probably rules about whether you resell it or not depending on the condition of the product, but returns count against a store not just because money has been returned, but if you have a lot of returns, it can be an indicator of poor store performance or personnel problems, or failure to prevent people from “renting” items. I always wash swimwear after I buy it. I know the possibility of where it’s been.

• tonberryqueen says:

I worked at H&M for a few years in college.

We accepted returns of underwear, bras, and swimsuits, but we also had to mark them as “damaged,” which meant we slapped a special sticker on the item and filled it out and returned it to the warehouse for logging and disposal. We were legally prevented from selling those items, even if all of the tags were still present. (I suppose that the idea is that, while you’re trying the stuff on with underwear in the store, if at all, I have no idea what you’re doing with it after you leave.)

Granted, H&M manufactured its own product, unlike, say, Macy’s, but I imagine that this is pretty universal. In a lot of industries, buyers for stores have a certain amount of leeway with their vendors, and they usually have the mechanics of returning product worked out.

• RedOryx says:

Amazon has no way of knowing if the person just tried it on or wore it for longer. A swimsuit can be worn without actually going swimming in it. With a store, you go into the dressing room, put it on, come out a few minutes later.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Do you think Macy’s has to worry about eating the cost of shipping and handling every time someone tries on a bathing suit in their store? Or that they tried it on in the changing room, entered a time-space wormhole, wore it for a week’s vacation in Cancun, and then put it back on the rack?

15. libwitch says:

I think the amazon note about it not being in its original condition (opening the package) and the error not on their behalf covers it. Generally from what I have seen, stores won’t accept swimsuit returns unless it is clearly a manufacturing problem. Because really? ick.

16. Hi_Hello says:

eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I hope amazon burns those bikinis… she just cost amazon 50% of their money.

17. ca_little says:

Look. Unless you know the manufacturer and sizing, there’s no sense in buying any sort of clothing online. It’s all a gamble. So know your return policies, and in this case, Amazon has it right. I wouldn’t want your possibly-worn-once-and-returned swimsuit.

18. UHF says:

I agree with Amazons return policy. If the bag was opened, no returns.

19. Edacious says:

I do not think she did anything wrong. What about going to a store and trying on a swimsuit or underwear? The tags are attached, but without actually looking at the suit, or even trying it on over some underwear, it will be hard to determine if it fits.

• pop top says:

The OP didn’t do anything wrong, but neither did Amazon. They allowed her to return the suit minus 50% of what she paid; a situation she was completely aware of before she bought the items. She didn’t have to purchase the suits from Amazon but she chose to and therefore chose to abide by their policies.

20. jiarby says:

dont you want to try on swimwear in person?? You admittedly damaged the packaging so it is not in it’s original condition.

If you had received the suits from Amazon in the same condition they were in when you sent them back I do not think you would be pleased.

Now they have to be RMA’s to the Mfg’er, or otherwise repacked and handled. That costs Amazon money.

Why do you expect to be able to violate the return policy but still get a 100% refund? Sounds like an entitlement issue.

21. tmitch says:

I won’t buy shoes or any items of clothing because of the hassle of trying to return the items if they don’t fit. I’d rather drive myself to the mall and actually try things on before I purchase them. Hands down, there is no savings great enough for me to justify the hassle of returning things online.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Zappos. Hands down, the best shoe retailer I have ever worked with, and if I can’t try on shoes at a store, my money always goes to Zappos. The company acknowledges that people might end up with shoes that don’t fit, and has always been extremely good about returns as long as the shoes don’t look like they’ve really been worn out and about.

22. Amnesiac85 says:

You may be outraged, but the rest of us are grateful.

23. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

I checked the return policies for online stores for Unique Vintage (which sells very expensive swim suits) and Victoria’s Secrets. Neither one had a stipulation for “opened packaging”. She returned it with tags, and presumably in new condition. The only thing missing was the choking hazard it came it. I think Amazon is behind the times on this one. No one can be expected to order from an online store and not try things on then want to return them with confidence. Amazon just shouldn’t sell swimwear. If it is a private seller, then they’re doing it wrong.

24. Arcaeris says:

I love how people here assume like “well of course everyone tries it on over their underwear, DUH” because having worked at Victoria’s Secret, let me tell you: women are disgusting and try stuff on bare-vag all the time.

One time, when a customer walked out of a dressing room wearing some panties (and nothing else) and was told she would have to purchase them now, she took it off and threw it in the face of one of the employees. Thankfully VS has a good damage policy which means that pair of panties was destroyed and not resold.

And people think it’s crazy that Amazon – who has no idea what people do in their homes and isn’t going to check garments for fluids or hairs or bacteria – isn’t going to give her a full refund?

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

“Thankfully VS has a good damage policy which means that pair of panties was destroyed and not resold.”

I am so shopping at VS for my intimates from now on. Warms my heart to hear this.

25. dudski says:

So what, they’re supposed to eat the cost because you ordered the wrong size?

You’d be outraged if you found out they’d sent you swimwear someone else had already received, worn, and returned. This is how they prevent that from happening without absorbing the cost themselves or forcing all of it onto you.

When you buy clothing online and aren’t 100% sure of your sizing for a specific brand, always check the return policy to see if guessing is a risk you’re willing to take. I’m a huge sucker for J. Crew’s online clearance but generally won’t buy anything other than shoes and accessories because I know I won’t be able to return or exchange any of it if it doesn’t fit.

26. Cantras says:

The only clothing I buy online is shirts. There’s a wide range of “fits” for shirts.
    I also bought my wedding dress online, but the site had charts with the different measurements for each size, AND definitions/instructions for measuring yourself on the same criteria. The dress fit perfectly.

Shoes, pants, swimwear, I’d never even try. maybe, *maybe* if I had tried on that exact make/model in a store.

But yeah, this story?
    Packaging’s not intact, and more damning you tried some of them on. Most stores wouldn’t let you return them at all, for half credit or for store credit or anything, so quitcherbitchin. Amazon did *great* by you.

27. chemmy says:

Maybe she should STFU about it and resell them herself on eBay or something. It’s like whiners week on Consumerist.

28. YokoOhNo says:

Definition of INTACT
    1. : untouched especially by anything that harms or diminishes :

Per Amazon’s return policy, once she touched the packaging she lost all of her rights…she didn’t even have to open it. I bet the virtuous lawyers came up with this word in the policy.

29. RedOryx says:

Sorry. Gotta side with Amazon on this one. The return policy is pretty clear. OP took the swimsuits out of their bags, thus the packaging is no longer intact. Amazon then refunded her 50%, which is what their return policy states. Where is the issue here?

30. Omali says:

” I was just surprised I saw no similar experience on your site!”

That’s because most people who submit stories are intelligent enough not to admit they knew about the return policy before buying, but still went ahead and violated it and expect to be treated special because of…why do you expect to be treated special, again?

31. pattymc says:

I agree with the comments that she should not have bought a swimsuit on line or be allowed to return it. I worked summers at Lord and Taylor in HS and college and swimsuits were not returnable. Period.

However, I do remember that when paper swimsuits were in vogue for about 5 minutes a woman returned one that was still damp. I refused to take it back but was over ruled by the department manager.

Swimsuits and jeans are best bought in stores with ample mirrors.

32. Red Cat Linux says:

What people should think about is that the suits were taken back at all. I only try on swimsuits with my underwear on, so I’m not that freaked out. They are the only garment I will wash before I wear it, without exception.

Hands up whoever thinks that the items will get repackaged and sold again, either at Amazon, or some other location.

My hand’s up.

33. Illusio26 says:

Did she try and call amazon? they are usually really good about returns. They gave us a full refund on a swimsuit that started to fall apart after 3 months of use.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

That’s different. A swimsuit that starts to fall apart after 3 months of use could fall under manufacturer’s defect. A swimsuit that is purchased and returned could fall under the refund policy that dicates a 50% refund if the original packaging is not intact.

34. redheadwglasses says:

“The letter writer did the wrong and extremely unsanitary thing by trying to return a tried on suit.”

WRONG WRONG WRONG. If this were the case, then you couldn’t try on swimsuits and stores.

Swimsuits also come with special paper/adhesive “guards” in the crotch. There is nothing wrong with trying on a swimsuit — over your underwear — and if it doesn’t fit, you return it.

• msbask says:

I agree, there is nothing wrong with trying on a swimsuit and returning it. What you fail to mention is that Amazon’s policy specifically stated she would get a 50% refund if the items she ordered were not returned unopened in their original packaging.

This story would be the same if it was a peasant blouse or a pair of jeans: Amazon told her the return policy, she ignored it and is now pissed that she’s not getting what she wants.

35. regis-s says:

I agree that things like swimsuits and underwear shouldn’t be returned once opened. The policy should say unopened though. No way to misinterpret that.

It seems I’ve seen packaging intact in other return policies. It usually means the packaging can’t be ripped to shreds and is all there.

36. dracosis says:

Exactly. If you are unsure if something will fit correctly, don’t purchase online. Pay the extra dollars buying in person at a local clothing store, and save yourself the trouble. She was probably trying to save money on Amazon, but in the long run will end up spending more.

37. Kitten Mittens says:

I side with Amazon on this one. But did she even try to contact them about it? I’m not one to jump on the authors of posts, but can we at least wait to post things until there is a real issue?

I returned a Kindle case over the 30-day period and they only gave me the current price. I contacted them with the reason for the delay (the kindle itself was on backorder) and they accommodated my circumstance in less than 30 minutes (all done via email). I guess instead I should have wasted my energies by first emailing Consumerist…

Lesson learned – don’t order underwear/swimsuits unless you are certain of size.

38. jayde_drag0n says:

Apparently everyone here on the consumerist is completely unaware that in a store you ARE ALLOWED to try on a swimsuit to see if it fits you so long as you keep your undies on. And if it does not fit, they do not charge you for trying on said item, nor do they burn it… it goes BACK on the shelf for others to try on and possibly buy. A used item does not mean “tried on” a used item is USING it… you know, like putting the swimsuit on and swimming in it. I side with the OP, it was not used

39. teadrinker says:

Clearly most of the comments aren’t from people that buy swimwear online. Land’s End, for instance. They get tried on – with underwear by the sensible – and they have that “hygienic liner”. I return swimwear to them, I buy all my swimwear from them. They sort of expect you need to try them on.

I would not, from amazon’s policy, believed opening the plastic shipping bag meant you did not have the original packaging. By that I would have retained it to use for return shipping so they had all the necessary codes from the bag. You can’t even SEE a clothing item folded up in the bag. Given their size, I would have expected it to be more like other online swimsuit retailers.

40. xxldave2008 says:

Those returns end up at places like ROSS or Burlington CF for resale. We went to a BCF recently a could not believe some of the crap there; well worn shoes, pre-chewed baby books and plenty of items with improvised (plastic tape) packaging!

41. El_Fez says:

Dude, that swimwear touched your cooch and now you want to pass it off onto someone else? That’s NASTY!

42. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Package Opened = Package not intact = No refund. Simple. Sell it on Craigslist.

43. webweazel says:

I absolutely, positively do not buy clothing or shoes online at any time whatsoever. (Except for Chucks.) When/if I do go to get clothes, I don’t buy anything until I have tried it on. Dealing with returns just is WAY too much hassle for me to even consider, online or in store. I just won’t do it.

44. trish says:

I know I’m in the tiny minority but “packaging” to me did not mean the plastic bag the suit came in. “Packaging” to me means like a clamshell plastic cover over headphones or the hard plastic over a tube of mascara. Most clothing comes in a plastic bag. I have to open the bag to even check the length of trousers whether I try them on or not. I have never considered that packaging.

In the store, the suit would be on a hanger, not in a bag. I’d do the same thing as at home, try the suit on. The store doesn’t know whether I tried it on “bare-vag” (love that phrase from the Vic Sec poster) in their dressing room or in my home.

I think Amazon should simply have a no swimsuit return policy period.

• Ce J says:

This. To me, the packaging on clothing means the tags, or the liner in the case of swimsuits. I buy clothes online all the time. Everything comes in bags. I always open them. My kids and i try them on. I return a lot of stuff. Nothing has been “worn,” nor has the packaging been removed.

I bought swimsuits from Athleta this summer. I bought two sizes because I wasn’t sure what was right for me. I got them, took them out of the bag, tried them on, and returned the one that didn’t work. Yay!

• kewpie says:

Exactly. I wouldn’t consider the plastic bad to be packaging. That’s total nonsense. There is no way you could even hold it up to see if it would fit while it was still in a plastic bag.

I really don’t understand all the people freaking out because she tried some of the suits on. The swimming suits you buy in a B & M store have been tried on, too. If people think everyone at a B & M store tries on swimsuits with their underwear on, they have clearly never worked in a retail clothing store. Wash before you wear. Always.

45. RogerX says:

I’m not sure this is limited to swimsuits, as I had a similar experience with a video game at Amazon. I bought Guitar Hero World Tour with guitar for $59, decided I wanted the full band kit before it arrived, and attempted a return of the unopened box. Amazon’s policy was that unopened games in their original condition and packaging could be returned for a full refund, less shipping. They sent me a $6 label, so I expected to get about $53 back. I got 27, with the note that “opened videogames or accessories are only eligible for a partial refund.” What?! I complained and insisited – It was in the original shipping container with a return label, it had never been opened or played. They started “Normally opened games are eligible for a partial refund, but in this case we’ve extended “a one-time courtesy” and gave me the full refund. I got what I wanted, but I was really unhappy that they refused to acknowledge that the item WAS unopened/unused.

46. DeafChick says:

Tell Amanda that she needs to buy from this site: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/

Great suits at cheap prices and better return policy.

I brought a suit their for trip to Sydney and it fit me like a glove.

47. selianth says:

I have returned swimsuits to Amazon before. I had to open the plastic bag to try it on (wearing underwear), and put it back in the back and returned it. And got a full refund. Is the original letter write sure that the suit she tried on still had the “hygenic” liner still in it? Sometimes those things come off accidentally, and if the suit was returned without it that’s what probably triggered them to think it had been “used.”

48. baconsnake says:

No chance anyone is going to read this since it’s so far down the page – but Land’s End is great for returns. They will gladly take returns on just about anything. Great clothes and great customer service.

49. sprocket79 says:

Try buying from Land’s End. You can return them as long as you try them on with the disposable liner. If you return them, you just take the liner out and send them back.

50. stevied says:

50% refund is 50% too much.

51. calico says:

Did the Amazon listing provide measurements? Not that I think OP is in the right, the return policy is what it is… but I rarely buy things other than shirts online without checking the measurements to make sure it will fit me. Since sizing can be so different between manufacturers, it’s an easy way to know if something will likely fit.

52. Serenefengshui says:

Next time, buy from Athleta (no questions asked, no problem) or Lands End (ditto). But in this situation, I’m with the OP–how the heck are you supposed to tell that something fits without trying it on?

53. lawgirl502 says:

They are screwing you. Keeping them in original packaging and such is what you apparently did- it does not say that they must be unopened. Be persistent or threaten a small claims suit

54. Dollie says:

I know that now I won’t be buying swimsuits from Amazon. Ewwww.

Buying clothes online is like sending my husband to go to the grocery store: we both know it will fail and something will end up being returned.