U.S. Seizes Killer Chocolate Eggs At Canadian Border

The Kinder Surprise is a delicious chocolate egg that contains a small toy. They’re available pretty much everywhere….except the United States, which has banned them because the tiny toys present a choking hazard to small children. And people who like to swallow chocolate eggs whole, we guess. The CBC reports that a Winnipeg woman didn’t know this, and was almost fined $300 for attempting to bring a single $2 egg into the country.

The U.S. takes catching illegal Kinder candy seriously, judging by the number of them they’ve confiscated in the last year. Officials said they’ve seized more than 25,000 of the treats in 2,000 separate seizures.

“They have been determined to present … a choking hazard to young children,” said Mike Milne, a spokesman for the U.S. department of customs and border protection. Milne said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration supports the Kinder Surprise ban.

Wondering what else you can’t bring back over the border? Check here.

Kinder Surprise egg seized at U.S. border [CBC] (Thanks, Gray!)

Comments

1. FatLynn says:

Is there any sort of labeling to this effect? I know that ignorance of the law is not a defense, but this is a little extreme. I’m wondering if she lied about bringing in food items or something like that.

• FatLynn says:

Wait, I just re-read. She was NOT fined $300. The egg was just confiscated.

• thedarkerside.to says:

Yes, they told her though if she’d be caught on the other side of the border it would have been a $300 fine.

The hilarity is though that if she wants the egg back she has to pay $250 in storage fee while they decide if they should return it to her or not.

• Laura Northrup says:

I’ve never bought the eggs in Canada, but commenters on the original article say that they’re clearly marked NOT FOR EXPORT TO UNITED STATES.

I see how someone would read that and figure that’s meant for the retail level, and not “don’t buy one of these and bring it to Vermont for a snack.”

• Rose says:

That’s what I would think. There are plenty of things on American labels that aren’t meant for me, like the lines about resale and so on.

• pastthemission says:

“don’t bring it back to Vermont for a snack” should be a warning label on Canadian products and falsely advertised maple products.

2. carefree dude says:

I lived in germany a few years and loved these things. I had a friend send me some last year and I got some hippo toys

• KlueBat says:

Were they Dolph the Fascist Hippo toys or just generic hippos?

• Kingsley says:

I was googling after reading this ridiculuous story and it seems that Germany is also going to ban them. One spokeswoman went on about “teaching” nutrition and that bugged me. I think it was a page called chocolateaddict but it was copied from a story in The Guardian.

• Cantras says:

I hear those ones are actually collectible, there’s a whole set of a bunch of them.

3. fsnuffer says:

Glad to see they have stopped the illicit chocolate egg trade. Now maybe they can concentrate on controlling illegal immigration on the border and maybe stop some drugs while they are at it.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Funny how they can stop one little egg from entering the country, but whole human beings, not so much.

• FrugalFreak says:

They don’t want us Americans eating REAL chocolate. it might bankrupt candy industries here.

• judyz says:

What they are doing is pretty much destroying your tourist trade. Why on earth would anyone want to travel to the US knowing they will be irradiated, groped, humiliated and all around treated like a criminal. Not to mention the guarantee that we will be robbed when we exchange our money.

We were delayed for over an hour and treated like criminals because my husband packed some FLORIDA ORANGES as a snack on one of our day trips across the border. Apparently there is no problem shipping them over the border to the supermarket for us to buy but heaven help us if we go to Detroit or Buffalo with one in our pocket to eat.

I have travelled around the world but your “Homeland Security” takes the cake for worst travelling experiences ever. For the most part they seem to be hiring young thugs who are drunk with power.

What is the result? Are illegal drugs and contraband no longer getting into the US? Is it no longer possible for a determined terrorist to get through? The reality is the answer is no. However middle class travellers and other law abiding citizens are being bullied, harassed and threatened.

• Kate says:

Do you have a clue how much it cost the California government to spray for med flies because some idiot decided they didn’t have to worry about bringing in fruit over state lines? Millions, not to mention major lost income for orange growers.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

that. and this
          i remember when orange groves in florida were burned by the acre in the 1980’s because of a citrus canker scare. that’s why most of your orange juice today comes from brazil and the florida orange grower’s association is trying so hard to win everyone back… citrus trees take 5-7 years to mature for fruit and much longer to produce any quantity.
          so even though it may have been a false scare it was still a serious economic blow

produce shipments are carefully inspected and the fruit goes to distributors. you might take that orange in your pocket into a nursery that’s growing an orange tree and if your orange is infected [unlikely but possible] it could spread through contact and end up infecting every citrus plant it ever comes near and everyone who touches it will potentially be able to spread it.

• RvLeshrac says:

If it was infected, the grove from which it was shipped had to have been infected.

In Florida.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

amazingly, there are orange groves all over the world.

• judyz says:

Orange groves? Have you ever been to Ontario as in Canada? Please let me know where these wonderous Ontario Orange groves are? Right now we have about a foot of snow outside as does the entire country. The oranges were Florida oranges. They still had the stickers from the store on them. If they were diseased it came from the original grove. They were no more dangerous than walking into Tops on the other side and buying 2 and walking around with them. Walking around Detroit with two Florida oranges in our pockets the danger is not from the oranges.

4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I swear we used to have Kinder Surprise eggs in the US. Didn’t we? Also, it’s not about people who idiotically swallow the eggs whole. It’s about kids who don’t know any better and think the toy inside is edible. It’s like the little plastic people on birthday cakes you get at the grocery store. Everyone always pokes them to see if they’re made of something edible.

• PadThai says:

There were ‘Nestle Wonder Balls’ that had candy inside a plastic egg inside a chocolate ball. But those got banned too.

• Qantaqa says:

Oh man, I remember those. I think they had Lion King ones and everything. The chocolate always tasted kinda funky from the candy inside, so it wasn’t really a huge loss.

• MeOhMy says:

There is/was a similar product (I think from Nestle), but inside was an edible candy toy.

• Megalomania says:

The wonderball; it was too good for this world and is now gone. I think they were actually banned since some had nonedible toys inside.that were deemed a choking hazard.

• donpedro07 says:

You can still get them in the US. My parents bought me some from the Polish village of Hamtramck, just outside of Detroit [I currently live in Tennessee]. The toy was all one piece [nothing like the pirate ship or Smart car I used to get in Poland] but all the writing on the wrapper was in Polish, so it seems they are still being imported.

• SonarTech52 says:

I’m thinking this is Willy Wonka’s fault…Everything should be edible.

• Chaluapman says:

You can find them in San Diego…

• TheWillow says:

I’ve purchased Kinder Eggs in my local (NYC) grocery store in the past year. I don’t get it.

• savageboredom (formerly Benguin) says:
    • Clyde Barrow says:

My question is this; why don’t kids of other nations choke and die on these toys? Obviously they do not and obviously this concern is groundless and mindless babysitting by our government. There is a french pastry called galette du roi in which a tiny porcelain man or girl is placed in it and no one in Europe is falling over dead from eating these. I wonder if the guards were misguided in this because this does not pass the smell test.

• Bella_dilo17 says:

I’ve had them before in the USA, but those might have been the Cadbury Creme eggs.

My friends went to London and brought some back, and they’re good.

PS, I love your username, π

• fusilier says:

You can’t even get those capsules open let alone choke on what’s inside them.

5. levenhopper says:

The first paragraph of the article says she was nearly charged the $300 fine. I don’t think they actually fined her…

• Kitamura says:

Don’t worry they didn’t fine her, but did you notice the part where it says they sent a 7 page document to ask to be able to destroy the item? I kinda wonder how they could even come up with a 7 page document asking for permission to destroy an egg.

And it’s kinda lol to see that if she wants to contest this, she’d have to pay $250 for them to store the damn thing. It does not cost $250 to store a chocolate egg.

• FatLynn says:

This is standard. You get the same thing if they catch you with Cuban cigars at the border. You agree to forfeit the property, they agree not to pursue the matter further.

• Tyanna says:

I wonder if the process they use to destroy them involves the security officer eating the chocolate and keeping the toy….

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Heck, I would of requested that they bring me to the canadian side of the building and let me eat the damn thing. Destroy the evidence AND be completely legal.

6. tinmanx says:

So it’s illegal as in you can go to jail for it? I can see the conversion now…

Prisoner 1: So, what you in for?
    Prisoner 2: Robbery, how about you?
    Prisoner 1: Got caught with a Kinder Surprise…
    Prisoner 2: That’s hardcore, man.

7. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

From the article:
    “A cross-border kerfuffle over a popular chocolate treat nearly cost a Winnipeg woman a $300 fine and saddled her with a bureaucratic headache. “

“She was warned she could have faced a fine after the customs official found — and seized — her $2 Kinder Surprise egg as illegal contraband.”

It appears she was never fined, only had the egg confiscated.

8. Tim says:

I’ve definitely bought these in the U.S. recently. They were obviously imported, and at specialty European food stores. But they definitely had them.

• LightningUsagi says:

Yep, there’s a little Bosnian cafe that I frequent, and they always have a box of them by the register. I don’t know if they’re a newer version that’s allowed in the US or if someone is just sneaky.

9. MooflesThaCat says:

I brought a whole suitcase full of them back with me the last time I hit up Europe. I love those things! I love this country and their priorities…

10. Rose says:

OMG!!! Is this why my grandmother stopped sending these from Germany??? These were the best gifts ever. Seriously. It comes with bits that you put together to make the toy, which was awesome. My siblings and I were very sad when they stopped coming, and I’ve been telling people about them for years.

Apparently, they’re too cool for us Americans, though. I mean, God forbid they just put a warning label on there and let parents sort the rest out, the way we do with every other kind of toy.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

She hasn’t stopped sending them. They just keep confiscating the packages.

Your grandma still loves you.

11. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

But, think of the children!

12. outis says:

Wait, how did a Canadian not realize the US is insane? Probably would have tried to bring an entire bottle of shampoo on a plane, too.

• OSAM says:

Uh, all Canadian airports have the same restrictions on liquids. But thanks for playing.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

{that smug, obnoxious “Thanks for playing” meme can go away anytime. Just sayin’!}

• jrobie says:

Uh whose ludicrous security establishment forced those liquid rules on the rest of the world, chief? Thanks for the smug condescension though, I can never find enough of that on the internet.

13. vaguelyobscene says:

I miss those things so much. :( If I ever go overseas again, I am going to eat a ton of those. Every time someone mentions them I go through cravings.

14. ycnhgm says:

I thought those eggs were banned from being sold here. Now this is saying that bringing some of those home for my own consumption is illegal as well?

• absherlock says:

I don’t know whether it makes a difference or not but she wasn’t bringing the eggs from Canada to her home in the States, she was bringing them from her home in Canada to the States. Subtle, but it may be important.

• Bativac says:

The government is protecting you from yourself.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard that these are banned, after buying them for years in local imported food stores. Jesus, US Government, let me take the risk that me or my 3 year old will choke. (I don’t have a 3 year old.)

If a parent is stupid enough to give their 3 year old something that would easily clog their esophagus, that’s on them.

15. El-Brucio says:

Kinder Eggs are illegal in the US? That is so bizarre. Stuff like kid’s cereal and Cracker Jacks already come with toys with small parts inside. You don’t hear talk of getting them banned because someone wasn’t paying attention to what they were eating.

I cynically suspect that Kinder wasn’t keeping up campaign contributions to key congresspersons.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Cracker Jacks don’t have “toys” anymore, just a piece of paper these days.

• El-Brucio says:

Really? I suppose that explains why I don’t see it in stores around here anymore. When I was a kid, the idea of a prize was a big draw for what was otherwise a mediocre snack. :(

• SG-Cleve says:

The problem with the eggs is that the toy is embedded in the chocolate.

I used to hate when my brother would dig through the box of cereal with his grimy hands to find the toy prize.

• Eilonwynn says:

It’s not really embedded, per se – the chocolate shell is exceedingly thin (only a milimetre or two thick), and there’s usually quite a bit of air around the toy capsule – the photo attached doesn’t really adequately display that part. My husband gets them for me from time to time.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Well, there have been some changes made. I was actually looking for a boxed ceral with a toy inside recently, and I could not find anything; a lot of “trade in offers” and “pay for shipping” and “educational mini CDs” but no toys.

There’s a company that makes and ships King Cakes, those big round frosted cakes that are part of the Mardi Gras tradition in some areas, but they are not allowed to bake the “King” inside anymore, so they include him in a separate compartment in the package, for the purchasers to insert themselves, if they so choose.

Nothing like eating a cake and taking a big bite out of a tiny plastic baby figure. :D

• RvLeshrac says:

This is completely OT, but:

Man, those things are terrible. Homemade King Cakes aren’t much better.

16. massageon says:

Yeah! Take down those evil doers! Bringing back …. candy …. eggs…. we don’t have anything better to do than stop these villainous people who love chocolate eggs with candy in them! This evil must be stopped

17. anime_runs_my_life says:

You can buy them at international stores. The one near me has tons of them, and they always sell out before Easter.

18. KlueBat says:

Looking at the headline I figured the eggs were stuffed with poison or drugs or something! Toys though? Seriously?

Also, one whole egg? It’s not like she had cases of the stuff intending to re-sell.

Let her keep her egg and move on to someone smuggling something dangerous.

19. Shinchan - Please assume that all of my posts are sarcastic unless indicated otherwise says:

Strange, I don’t see anything on the Prohibited & Restricted items list about Kinder Eggs…

• Slave For Turtles says:

Kinder eggs are laid by incredibly endangered animals in Africa, so you need to apply the rules for bush meat. /s/

Seriously, I couldn’t find anything about Kinder eggs in the regulations either.

• winnabago says:

Per Wikipedia:

Kinder Eggs are sold all over the world excluding the United States, where the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act prohibits embedding “non-nutritive items” in confections. Additionally, the Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a recall on the eggs in 1997 (mostly via import shops), likely as a consequence of the introduction of the rival Nestlé Wonderball product featuring Disney characters, which was also quickly pulled under FDA pressure[1].

20. Gravitational Eddy says:

I’m wondering what they would do to you if you just had the toy on your person….
    You know, like you’ve already eaten the egg and there’s this little plastic toy…. that you stuck up on the dashboard.
    Could they seize your car because of that?
    Could you be prosecuted for illegally bringing into the country something that used to be a possible threat to small children, but because you had changed the package it was in (by eating the chocolate it was covered in) it’s no longer a threat to those same small children anymore.

Sometimes, I really hate lawyers.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

Yeah? What would happen if you said, “Well, OK,” unwrapped it, wolfed the chocolate, and stuck the inner egg in your pocket? Or better yet, handed the little plastic egg to your kid?

Never mind. I’ll stop with the common sense.

• Gravitational Eddy says:

ATTENTION: This is a non-story. It appears that there is no clear cut rule against possession of these “eggs”, there’s no confiscation, there’s no punishment of people caught with them.
      There’s just this -ban- on sales of the item -in- the United States. And if I’m not mistaken, there have been tons of candies and confectionaries that have already negated this -ban-.
      We’ve even got worms inside candy suckers!
      I’m addressing this to the border patrol/customs person who told the OP about the ban.
      STOP IT.
      You are making us look bad.
      You keep playing this mightier-than-thou power trip against unsuspecting americans, and you might find out that one of those americans is your superior.
      I’d love to see you try to tell Janet Neopolitano to step into the room for a special search.
      And afterwards, after the surgery to remove your career with the government from your behind, maybe you’ll stop with the foolish claims about the candy.

21. MeOhMy says:

Totoal shenanigans on Mr. Milne’s comments. There was no study that determined they were a choking hazard, and since they have never been sold in the US there were no incidents that lead to a specific ban. Quite simply, the FDA Code declares any “confectionery that has partially or completely imbedded therein any non-nutritive object is adulterated unless FDA has issued a regulation recognizing that the non-nutritive object is of practical functional value to the confectionery product and would not render the product injurious or hazardous to health.” In short, they are banned purely by rule and without any actual consideration of whether they present a more serious choking hazard to children than M&Ms.

That’s the long and the short of it, and I’m pretty sure it’s been worded that way in the code since 1938. Clearly American kids are too stupid to not eat the toy and American parents are too stupid to supervise their kids when eating these dangerous products.

I “smuggled” a Maxi Ei (about the size of a football) from Berlin a few years ago. I got flagged to have my carry-on bag searched (maybe a football sized egg wrapped in foil looks suspicious on an x-ray display!) leaving Berlin. The German inspector seemed greatly amused to open my backpack and see that it pretty much contained only the giant egg. Nothing else would fit!

• Rachacha says:

They were banned by the CPSC, not the FDA

• Rachacha says:

Actually, I should correct that, the Kinder Eggs were banned by the CPSC AND FDA

While what you say about the FDA testing it may be true, the FDA is banning the product for a different reason than CPSC. CPSC determined that regardless of the markings on the product (not to be used by children under 3), that the product would likely be used by and be appealing to children under 3, therefore the product must meet the small parts requirement for toys intended for children under 3. The toys in the egg do not meet that requirement, so it was banned by CPSC after examination or testing. The FDA is supporting that ban so that 2 government agencies do not have conflicting determinations on the same product.

• MeOhMy says:

I’m sure you are right. My issue is with the “Found to be…” wording from the spokesman which falsely implies to me that there was actual testing or at least actual incidents in the US.

There was not. It’s pretty much classic nanny-state policy enforcement.

22. sirwired says:

I think that the article may have gotten mangled in the telling. She WAS stopped at the border, and she WASN’T charged a fine of any sort. I know that she says they told her “if you were caught with this across the border you would get charged a $300 fine”, but I don’t think this was true. The place to charge the fine would have been the border itself; I cannot imagine who within the US could possibly have the authority to charge such a fine, unless she was attempting to sell her precious egg. Mere possession of dangerous toys is not illegal.

And the bit about the $250 storage fee: this was probably just a standard Property Seizure form, which they aren’t going to re-write for trivial items. I seriously doubt they expected her to pay the fee.

23. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I had a friend in Germany ship a couple of those eggs to us in the states about 10 years ago. They were delicious, and nobody choked because the toys were not just inside the egg, but inside a bright yellow capsule about the size of a toy-vending-machine capsule. And the toys? Awesome.

Food represents a choking hazard. Tons of people choke to death on food every year. Have we banned food yet?

• thedarkerside.to says:

You gotta wonder how all we over 30 year olds ever survived our childhood, eh? I mean, all the things that are prohibited now, clearly we were just one microsecond away from a gruesome death.

Every time I read of a rule like this I envision a bunch of guys sitting in a windowless room brainstorming some gruesome ways to snuff out kids and then banning anything that remotely could be the cause of this.

24. LadyTL says:

I brought back a bunch of them from Canada one year in my luggage so maybe they only look at them in carry ons.

25. Erika'sPowerMinute says:

I’m so glad I pay taxes to pay some bureaucrat to protect me and mine from candy and toys! What an excellent use of government resources!

I had no idea, until I read about this on the Free Range Kids blog, that it’s illegal to carry Kinder Eggs into the US. What a bunch of hooey. My friend, who lives in Canada, brings them down into Washington for my kids all the time–I was completely unaware of the brave risk she was running. Live free, citizens!!!

26. cparkin says:

The funny thing is, a young child could never get into the plastic egg that contains the toy in the first place. Those plastic eggs are so tightly sealed I can barely break them open myself.

Side note: The puzzles are always the worst “toy” in a Kinder egg.

27. Thassodar says:

“The Kinder Surprise is a delicious chocolate egg that contains a small toy. “
    I thought the extra crunch was from the enjoyable rice center? That’ll show me for eating it whole.

28. cristiana says:

I love that inside the kinder egg there are instructions in dozens of languages, from Arabic to Chinese, and yet they are not sold here. It just makes it look like the US is full of a bunch of idiots who can’t distinguish between a giant plastic egg and food.

29. nonsane says:

They saw the french “bonbon” and thought it said “bomb” honest mistake really.

30. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Border guards use the crib slat test. If the item fits through the slats in a drop side crib then it’s a choking hazard and contraband.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

If true–that’s beyond absurd. What’s next–government agents on my doorstep to confiscate all the Legos, grapes, and keys in my house?

31. plumbob says:

Plastic toy in chocolate egg? NO THAT IS RIGHT OUT!
    Cadmium and lead in children’s toys? Eh, that stuff is too hard to test for anyway, ya know?

• haggis for the soul says:

Maybe they would make the eggs legal again if they could get certification that the toys were painted with lead paint and stuffed with lead dust.

32. yessongs says:

Why not build a fence to keep them out just like illegal immigrants? Do boarder patrols search all cars for people smuggling Kinder Eggs into the country? Is there some sort of task force or a Kinder Egg Czar out there appointed by the president to keep us safe from this horrible product?

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Mexicans are clevererer. They hide babies in rosca de reyes and smuggle them across the border.

33. Annika-Lux says:

When my best friend was going to uni in Scotland, she told me about these. I’ve managed to find them at a European specialty store here in the States.

34. ngoandy says:

I used to bring them and Absinthe back when I traveled to Europe. I thought I was only smuggling the Absinthe.

35. travel_nut says:

My family always brings those things from Germany to the US. We’ve never known that it was illegal and never been stopped for it. I had no idea that we’ve been acting as illegal smugglers all this time.

36. A Bay Horse says:

We bring those home from Canada all the time. We’re so hardcore.

The yellow plastic egg is pretty large. You’d have to be part snake to choke on that.

• darcmosch says:

Even if you were part snake, I’d assume if your mouth expanded to that size then your airway would be separate from your mouth, unless you were sol and mother nature wanted a laugh when you tried to eat your first egg whole

37. c152driver says:

I’m sure the Custom’s agent enjoyed “disposing” of the confiscated egg.

38. remusrm says:

I still have my first Kinder toy from back in 1991 after the Ceausescu’s fall. I used to grow up with these… They were awesome. I miss them. If you go to EU try MJoy and Kinder DUO… Or mon cherry:-)

39. zombieite says:

I smuggled a bunch of these across the border last year by swallowing them. Mmmmm….

40. thedarkerside.to says:

Land of the Free, home of the BRAVE, eh?

41. miss_j_bean says:

These things are legal everywhere in the world but the US. Apparently American kids are the only kids on the planet not smart enough to avoid eating the toy (Not really! – note sarcasm). This is one of those laws I hate. I can’t have a cool toy because some other person is too stupid to live? I used to bring these back from Canada all the time when I lived on the border, never had a problem.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

I was gonna look for that Onion article about the kids too stupid to live ruining awesome toys for everyone else, but apparently it’s deliberately trying to avoid me or something.

But yeah. If a kid chokes to death on something, it’s obviously not the kid’s fault for being stupid, or the parent’s fault for failing as a parent. It’s obviously the nefarious Kinder Company’s fault! Draft up the chocolate toy egg embargo!

42. VOIDMunashii says:

I love Kinder Surprise, and I hate that they are so hard to find here. They only present a choking hazard to the incredibly stupid (or the offspring of the incredibly stupid). I generally buy a bunch of them whenever I find a store that has them.
    I did not know it was illegal to bring them into the country for personal use, I thought you just were not supposed to import them for sale.That really sucks.

43. JKulp42757 says:

Says they ship to the US…I don’t know if that means the Kinder Surprise eggs though…..

44. JKulp42757 says:
    • Slave For Turtles says:

You should have included a /creepy/ tag on that video. Yuck, I don’t want a Kinder egg so much at the moment after that ad. Thank you just the same for finding it!

45. dush says:

Everything that could possibly be dangerous to anyone needs to be outlawed immediately.

46. dourdan says:

and they taste like wax.

47. yurei avalon says:

Well this is BS. My local German deli sells these and other Kinder products as well as the fact that I can easily order them online on to my door. Why haven’t they ever forced stores in this country to stop selling them then?

Can we please stop policing everyone’s’ lives and let people take responsibility for watching what their kids eat, play with, do etc? I haven’t heard about hordes of Europeans dying from choking on these, perhaps yanno we’re doing it wrong over here.

48. littlefisker says:

If I am correct, any kinder eggs that you buy in the US are made specifically for the US market, and contain an egg with one-piece plastic toy. However, kinder eggs in Europe come with sweet little toys that have tiny little pieces you have to assemble yourself, which is what made them awesome and/or dangerous.

49. ZIMMER! says:

This are the best! I do not see how anyone can choke on them. They come in a chocolate shell that you have to break open and then another inner shell (plastic) that you also have to break open.
    See the rest of the world knows that American’s are stupid but do we have to keep proving it?

50. TomKeddie says:

The problem is the quality of the chocolate is too high. Makers of crappily made local wax and soap which they pass off as chocolate don’t want their customers knowing the truth.

51. kethryvis says:

WTF?! i love these things, and used to get them up in Canada all the time. i’d go up for work/friends/whatever, buy a bunch, and bring them home. NEVER caught trouble for it. My friends send them to me all the time.

Stupid!!

52. Spooky says:

oh man i love these eggs. stupid America!

53. RvLeshrac says:

Solution: don’t be an idiot and give a Kinder Surprise to a toddler.

Who can’t actually get one open in the first place.

54. coren says:

How the fuck can we have a ban on imports of things that are crappy food, but then turn around and make worth within our borders? That’s just incredibly stupid.

55. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

I’ve always loved the creepy ad they ran back in the ’80s

56. YOXIM says:

That’s odd. I’ve bought this before in the States. I know a guy that sells them. I grew up on the stuff and fucking love it. Some of the tastiest chocolate known to man.

57. PupJet says:

And the government is wondering why we’re in the trillions of dollars of national debt. It’s for stupid crap like this, wasting time and money on finding this kind of crap rather than actually DOING something.

It’s probably no wonder why people are attempting to LEAVE this country as well. Thank goodness Canada is my next door neighbor (relatively anyway as I live in Washington state), because finding out this information makes me wanna leave more and more. *Sigh*

58. Span_Wolf says:

I grew up eating these things, and every country I’ve ever visited (a lot by the way) also sells these. The US can take its overprotective, protect us from ourselves, nanny state BS and shove it.

59. yagisencho says:

We used to buy *boxes* of these at the Richmond Costco and bring them back with us over the border. A border guard even searched through our Costco purchases last time (admittedly, this was a few years ago).

60. Gundy says:

I can get them still in Grand Rapids Mi.

61. Cantras says:

Kinder Eier are my favorite german candy ever. The last time I went to germany, i think I startled the shopkeep by bringing up a *pallet* of eggs. I took them home in a couple of egg cartons.

The chocolate is not even that awesome, but I *love* the toys. I love getting them with a hojillion tiny pieces. And I’ve managed to buy them in the US, but not reliably. I should request some from my sister in Germany, send her something she can’t get there.

62. Bryan Price says:

Who knew? My son’s (now ex-)girlfriend brought some over from Germany. I guess she didn’t declare them.

I thought there was more chocolate there, but oh well. The toys were fun to play with at least.

63. Cactusjack_1999 says:

Umm… My brother got a bunch of these for christmas and his girlfriend never had a problem getting them.

64. Beebleberry says:

I’d wager that the companies in the US that make other chocolate treats that kiddies enjoy lobbied (successfully) to have Kinder Surprises banned. If Kinder Surprises were available in all the US stores, it would cut into the market share of M&Ms, Hershey Kisses, etc., big time.

65. ThePlaz says:

I have a package sent to me been opened and these removed. No fine; just a seizure notice sent via Registered Mail. They made a mess of the package too.

66. TheMonkeyKing says:

I am a dangerous man! I brought in 10 of those eggs before Christmas from England.

Up next: drinking expired milk and ripping off mattress tags!