The Restocking Fee Is Dead At Apple Stores

4735843940_d0698365f7_m

(DQD)

The word on the street–or at least on electronics blogs–was that Apple stores would do away with the traditional 10% restocking fee on returns. This new feature starts not just as other electronics retailers are doing away with their restocking fees, but was timed ever-so-coincidentally for January 11, the launch day of the Verizon iPhone. Is the rumor true? Reader Tim reports that it is indeed, and he’s even tested it.

Rumor had it that Apple retail stores were going to abandon their 10% restocking fee for returning computers, iPods, iPads and the like. I was suffering buyers remorse after buying a MacBook Air with only 2GB of ram, which is not upgradable. I’m happy to report that today I was able to return the machine to my local Apple store and then order the machine I wanted with 4GB of ram, all without having to pay the $130 restocking fee. A win for consumers? Yes.

PREVIOUSLY:
Best Buy Puts An End To Tyrannical Restocking Fees

Comments

1. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Great! Now I can rent an Apple.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

One of the rumor’s I saw about this was that it was waived if you returned an item and upgraded the fee was waived.

• fatediesel says:

I know that is Best Buy’s policy. I bought a relatively cheap computer there last year that couldn’t run some of my necessary software so I took it back to Best Buy. They were going to charge me a 15% restocking fee but because I bought a more expensive model the fee was waived.

• Veeber says:

The managers at the stores always have the authority to waive the restocking fee. Typically if someone brought in a lower end machine within a few weeks of purchase and wanted to get something more expensive the manager would waive it.

2. Blueskylaw says:

It’s nice to see Laura at her job, considering that she probably has 2 feet of snow like I do up here in the Northwest corner of Connecticut.

Keep up the good work.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s a well-written article – so Phil probably logged into Laura’s account

/sarc

• TasteyCat says:

On the Internets, everything can be done remotely.

I’d be working today if they gave me a laptop.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That’ll show Verizon! Now how can they possibly compete with AT&T for the iPhone!?

…what’s that?

Oh, right. Same company.

4. britswim04 says:

January 11 is not the “launch day” for the Verizon iPhone, it was the day of the announcement. Launch day is February 10.

5. stevied says:

Here, let me correct that phrase for ya..

“A win for consumers? No”

Restocking fee gone. Price increase across the board to screw over every customer rather than the small percentage returning products.

6. CompyPaq says:

It could just be that exchanges carry no restocking fee.

7. Piznoup says:

The apple store lost my business due to the restocking fee. Bought my IPad at Futureshop instead.. And then returned it ‘sans-restocking fee’ as it made me dizzy