After Holiday Break, Spammers Back In Action

Just about everyone phones it in during the holidays, even spammers. Whether due to tightened security or office parties, the amount of worldwide spam activity nosedived in late December. The bad news is that the spambots have reportedly woken up and are getting back to work.

Last week the BBC reported spam traffic had plummeted to 50 billion messages a day after nearing nearly four times that amount in the summer. Now research from Websense finds that spam has more than doubled since last week, rebounding close to the level it was at the week before Christmas.

Did you notice a spam drop-off during the holidays?

Spam Volume Recovers After Holiday Break [WebSense via Slashdot]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Spam…what is this spam? I have stupendous filters that prevent any of it from getting into my inbox. Why is spam still a huge problem for most people? I remember back in the day you had to mark stuff as spam for it to be spam. Now bayesian spam filtering does the work for us, and it all gets sent to the spam folder.

• madanthony says:

The problem with spam is it’s still there, even if you don’t see it. It still puts a strain on networks and storage to send, recieve, and store all those spam emails, even if you never see them because of your filters. Not to mention the time and money spent developing and maintaining spam filtering software, gateways, ect.

2. DJ Charlie says:

Interesting… The station’s transcoding server died on New Year’s Eve, and all ssh/ftp/email attacks stopped completely. We got a new server up and running 3 days ago, and the attacks started again yesterday. I’m starting to wonder if they’re related.

Did the spammers AND the yayhoos take a vacation together?

3. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I did notice an increase of human spammers in the last few days on forums I work on.

4. Cosmo_Kramer says:

I’ve started getting Google Talk spam. They always send me one message, never a link. I don’t get it.

5. zombie70433 says:

1, right click
    2, delete
    3 spam go bye-bye.

The only spam that bothers me are the job-scammer ones.

• AstroPig7 says:

Repeat over a hundred times every day, and it gets old fast. I have two long-standing e-mail addresses (which goes against my own advice to treat e-mail addresses as disposable) and each would receive incredible amounts of spam if I didn’t have proper filters.