Verizon Announces iPhone 4 Coming Next Month

After years of rumors, reports, whispers and tea-leaf readings that Verizon would definitely, maybe, someday possibly be getting the iPhone, everyone was wondering whether the nation’s largest wireless provider would finally make the big announcement at this morning’s press conference in New York City.

“If the press writes something long enough and hard enough it comes true,” said Verizon COO Lowell McAdam at the event, where he confirmed that the iPhone 4 would be coming to Verizon in the next month.

The Verizon iPhone will have all the same features as the existing AT&T version and will run on the company’s CDMA network (which means no simultaneous web-browsing and phone-using), no mention of a timeframe for an LTE version.

This iPhone will also offer the Verizon Hotspot capability, allowing up to 5 devices to connect at a time.

Our pals at Consumer Reports got some hands-on time with the Verizon iPhone after the conference. CR also confirmed with Verizon that the antenna had been changed from the original iPhone 4, but the phone company would not comment on the signal loss issue associated with the AT&T phone’s antenna.

The device will run $199.99 for 16gb model, $299.99 for 32gb. According to the Verizon Wireless site, it will be available starting Feb. 10.

The Verizon site also says that existing VZW customers can “get an iPhone 4 from our reserved quantity before they’re available to everyone else.”

Before making the announcement, McAdam talked up Verizon’s existing networks — 3G and 4G LTE — in an attempt to preempt any concerns about the flood of new iPhone users. He later stated that Verizon has “more than enough capacity” to handle the expected uptick in usage.

Some had believed that Big V would make this announcement at last week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, but those hopes were deflated when the company elected to use CES to push its newest 4G products — like the 4G LTE Galaxy Tab — instead.

However, speculation was stoked anew almost immediately when the Wall Street Journal reported that an announcement was imminent.

Comments

1. Grogey says:

Meh… I like my droid but it is kind of tempting.

2. TheWillow says:

Hooray! Now people will STFU about it.

Ok no they won’t. But I can dream, right?

(disclaimer: I

3. dragonfire81 says:

Not for Verizon’s ridiculously overpriced plans. I’ll stick with my EVO from Sprint thank you very much.

Having run into issues with every Apple product I’ve ever owned I’ve had little desire to ever get an Iphone.

• howie_in_az says:

I love my EVO too — I think the 4.3″ display has ruined me for all other phones, which seem tiny in comparison. My coworkers call it the tabletphone.

However, with an aging CoreDuo 1.83GHz MacBook, equally aging 1.66GHz MacMini, and a not-so-aged 2.66GHz MacPro, I don’t have issues with Apple products. In fact, the only thing that has gone wrong with any of my Macs has been a small plastic tab falling off of the MacBook — after 4 years of use.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Plus you get the bullet stopping power of the HTC battery pack. What more could you want? Android FTW! :)

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“If the press writes something long enough and hard enough it comes true.”

Please, do not encourage them to pull crap out of their asses and call it news. They do that too much already.

5. Moosehawk says:

“Some had believed that Big V would make this announcement at last week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas…”

… but as we are all well aware, Apple products and Apple product hardware revisions deserve their own press conference or event to announce their products. Hell, they might as well start holding events for software updates.

6. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

Not that I am married to getting another iPhone the next go-around, but at least I now have that option when I ditch AT&T’s crummy, useless “service” at the end of this year.

(Love my iPhone 3GS, it’s a great toy. Too bad it doesn’t work well as a phone…)

7. obits3 says:

This should make for some interesting marketing. I wonder if Verizon will still the “Droid Does” thing (i.e. iPhone Doesn’t)?

• Tito151 says:

Actually, I think they’ve been distilling down that marketing campaign. VZW’s definitely nuked the whole ‘iPhone-killer’ commercial from last year’s Superbowl. I haven’t seen very many ‘Droid Does’ commercials on recently.

8. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Verizon coverage with Apples ease of use? Disclaimer-I have been using Macs since a Plus in 1988. I would be at the Verizon store right now IF i did not need a hardened phone.

The iPhone is just too fragile for the way I abuse phones.

• XTC46 says:

otterbox.com

Best cases on the market. I have one on my iPhone and aside from a solid hit to the screen, nothing is going to break this thing (I drop it a lot)

9. Jesse says:

And the Red Sea will part.

10. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Now I hope AT&T will drop its iPhone 4 prices in some kind of panic to retain customers. I doubt this will happen since Apple tends to reduce its prices and AT&T follows suit, and Apple hasn’t reduced the price of the iPhone 4 at all.

It’s tricky, though. If Apple is supposed to introduce a hardware update to the iPhone, will it only be available at AT&T? There isn’t a point to introducing a CDMA iPhone 4 to Verizon in February if there’s a hardware update in July. I just want a better price!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

$200 for a smartphone is like the magic number that phone companies are not deviating from, even amongst heavy competition. I don’t see this changing as a result.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

AT&T sells refurbished ones for $100. I would be willing to get a refurb one (the 3G I have is a refurb unit) if I could examine the phone first.

11. damageinc says:

I’m tempted…but I don’t think I could go back to a 3.5″ screen after having the 4.3″ one on my Droid X.

• anarkie says:

I’m with you. Sorry Apple. Too little too late. Bigger screen, better call quality, and more customizations. I’ll keep my X. Next step for me will be 2nd gen dual core. I’ll wait out the bionic, and see what’s next. At lleast if iPhone 5 is something lust worthy, I’ll be happy to know the choice is there.

12. horns says:

About time, ATT is consistently the lowest rated network when it comes to service according to CR.

13. Buckus says:

Now Apple can’t use AT&T’s crappy network as an excuse.

• the_wandering_monster says:

Um, what? You do realize that the iPhone is available overseas, and you do realize that it doesn’t suffer the kind of problems you see in the US, right?

• rambo76098 says:

Yet somehow non-Apple smartphones on AT&T don’t have the problems that the iPhone users have. How odd…

Your experience may vary. My buddy’s old HTC tilt would work fine when his dad’s iPhone couldn’t make a call or download an email. I’ve heard similar stuff from others with non-iPhones.

14. ARP says:

So, they can buy a full priced iPhone 4 for a few months until Apple releases v5 in July? Doesn’t seem like that great of a deal. Will iPhone upgrades hit the market at the same time for GSM and CDMA?

• segfault, registered cat offender says:

Based on previous updates, the July update will probably be a mild refresh of the iPhone 4. Probably dropping the 16 GB version and offering 32 GB and 64 GB versions.

15. Zerkaboid says:

Ok now can we start talking iPhone on T-Mobile and Sprint rumors?

16. gnubian says:

Supposed to have a better data plan too .. which will most likely only apply to the apple products, and a big fuuuu to everyone else.

17. Thassodar says:

This is relevant to my interests, and this article is great. I had not heard of this previously. Good job, editor.

Am I doing it right?

18. absherlock says:

I was kind of hoping that Verizon’s announcement was that they weren’t buying into the iHype and they decided the hassle of dealing with Jobs wasn’t worth it.

19. AntiNorm says:

Oh God no. Now all of the Apple fanbois are going to jump to Verizon’s network and bog it down.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Maybe, maybe not. The biggest problem I see is that the CDMA iPhone won’t handle voice and data at the same time. Verizon and Apple confirmed this at the event.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

I used my iPhone, heavily, for business. Voice as well as data. I needed to use both simultaneously perhaps once. I didn’t even notice Verizon couldn’t do it until about a year after I got my Droid. I’m sure this will keep some people from switching, but it’s just not on most people’s radar.

20. lotussix says:

i hate how i can’t use my at&t iphone as a hotspot….

21. ExtraCelestial says:

Thank you for reporting this so quickly! No one that was reporting the rumors had posted an update. It was JUST updated on the Apple website. Boo!

I wish this was announced in typical Apple fashion with a video of the presentation and everyone in the audience oohing and awwing. It makes even the most mundane of products appear swoon-worthy

22. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Any possibility of Verizon’s partners (e.g., those in the Rural LTE program) getting the phone?

23. Remmy75 says:

I know people spell doom and gloom for AT&T but it may be in thier best interest to offload some people. There are enough fanatics out there who will jump to Verizion no matter the cost. So this could help ease the woes of AT&T network.

Actually the only one winning is Apple cause they get to sell a crap ton more of iPhones to all the poeople who switch. Steve Job’s is quite the evil genious. Get people hooked on your product on a crappy service for a couple years, then roll it out to someone else, and all the worphipers will jump ship for something better!

24. Jamie All Over says:

as someone who recently switched from an iPhone 3G on AT&T to a Droid Incredible on VZW, I don’t understand why someone would want an iPhone when there so many good Android phones on VZW.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I hate Verizon. I actually like AT&T, for the most part. I like my iPhone. You like your Android phone, I like the iPhone. It’s just preference. Whether Android phones are better is subjective and based on individual preference.

• MMD says:

And if you read yesterday’s article/comments about Verizon and problems with Droid phones, it’s not like a “better” phone is guaranteed.

To each their own.

25. JohnJ says:

Another opportunity to pay an arm and a leg for a wireless data plan. :-)

26. Mike says:

I just got an iPod touch over the holidays. There is no way I would give up the flexibility of Android for iOS under any circumstances. But at least now people can shut up about the damn Verizon iPhone rumors.

27. Nick says:

Verizon is not a major carrier.

28. packcamera says:

For those of us who aren’t geeks, trend-hoppers, or fanboys, the announced Verizon iPhone only means that there will be a flood of second-hand ATT iPhones on Craigslist. See you in 6 months when the iPhone 5 is announced and the wasteful cycle begins anew!

29. Invader Zim says:

Interesting, I guess we are all lucky that every carrier already has android phones that do all that and more. But hey its an iphone, lets watch the roaches scatter when the lights go on

30. azntg says:

Will it come complete with the ubiquitous watered down firmware that seems to be the norm with most Verizon offered phones?

31. HungryGal says:

I’ve been waiting for this for a few months… and now that its happened it doesn’t seem worth the money at all. If I can use my $100 account credit (for not getting a new phone in years… I still use a LG Chocolate) for it, maybe…

32. pot_roast says:

I’m surprised this rumor has finally come true. But alas, it is true. apple.com says so.

The WSJ and countless other tech blogs have been frothing at the mouth over this for ages and have been wrong every single time, until yesterday.