The Laziest Spam Ever, Or The Smartest?

Apparently the recent, and inexplicable, dropoff in worldwide spam levels represented some more experienced players getting out of the game. I got this spam yesterday that just very well may be the laziest financial lead-generation spam I’ve ever seen. Or it just could be the smartest. Take a look.

from: John Anderson: andesonjohn1945@rediffmail.com
reply-to: andersonjohn1945@rediffmail.com
to: andersonjohn1945@rediffmail.com
date: Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM
subject: Contact Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments International
Oakhill house,130 Tonbridge,Hildenborough.
Kent TN119DZ,United Kingdom.
Dear Friend,

How are you doing, We would like you to contact us back, So that our staff would tell you what this email is all about,

John Anderson.

A spam that asks me to write them back so they can tell me what the spam is about? Wow. My curiosity is almost piqued just enough to find out what exact fabulous opportunities await me in the world of advance fee fraud.

Comments

1. bnelson333 says:

+10 for using piqued instead of peaked/peeked

2. mommiest says:

Maybe they believe that by not putting their “offer” in the email, you won’t have written proof of fraud.

• iggy21 says:

No likely. Since email is digital and less likely to be destroyed.

Seems to me this is a ‘clever’ attempt to opt-in users for their spam.

3. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

More likely they’re casting as wide a net as possible. Even if you don’t have an account with Fidelity, this is so vague that some gullible sucker could interpret it as a job inquiry or inheritance or any other possible yet tenuous connection.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Screw that. I only respond to family members/barristers of recently deposed/banished/beheaded former rulers of sub-Saharan African countries. If it’s a job offer, there’s a possibility I might have to work for the money. Working’s for suckers.

4. Black Bellamy says:

Please reply to my post. For those that do, I will explain what it’s all about.

All of it.

5. Warble says:

There is a genre of spam that takes the form of simple emails saying “Hi” and the trick to them is that they come with image tracking bugs or something like that. The idea is that since it isn’t obviously trying to sell something, it’ll get through the filters more easily and the user will be more likely to open it. Once the user does that, they’ll be flagged as having a recently verified email address, which is worth a lot more in the spam markets, and they’ll get hammered by the c1al1s and ch3ap phot0sh0p stuff afterwards once they’ve sold your email all over the place.

So maybe this is one of those? I dunno, maybe you should write back and find out what the deal is?

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

yeah, that is one of the reasons why my gmail accounts by default never open images, I always manually click to view images that I want to see.

• quail says:

It works by calling for an image to download off of the internet. That image is tagged to only one email. If that email is opened, then they have a record of an email address accessing the image. All good email clients and online ones as well will block pictures that aren’t attached to the original document.

6. Nighthawke says:

Spammy’s shifting tactics to bait n switch. Moving away from the links in web pages to inquiries like this. They will work on trying to find out if your account is live or no through messages like this.

Use spamcop to parse suspect traffic like this to ensure that it is real or just spam.

7. Blueskylaw says:

Do you hear that Mr. Anderson.
    That is the sound of inevitability.
    Goodbye Mr. Anderson.

8. dourdan says:

i got a spam that said “job opportunity- maybe” about a work at home job that they were not offering me– yet.

i guess if they get you to reply first then it is no longer spam.

9. MercutioGeek says:

You might be missing the obvious. One of the most important resources for a spammer is the list of e-mail addresses they can send their spam to. In this case it could just be someone trying to create a list of valid e-mail addresses using a shotgun to see who responds so they can later sell that list to spammers.

10. moonunitrappa says:

I was all excited by the picture of Wham, who cares about spam.

11. AllanG54 says:

Come to think of it….I haven’t been notified of any inheritances or lottery winnings that I’m entitled to lately. And, I could really use the money.

12. Invader Zim says:

Does George Michaels know?