KFC Employee Suspended For Screaming At Customer In Australia

We can all get a little bit ornery at KFC, but an employee at one of the Colonel’s halal friendly eateries near Sydney, Australia got positively enraged the collar when a customer requested bacon on his burger.

According to Islamic law governing food, bacon and other pork products aren’t served at the halal KFCs, so the employee in question couldn’t have provided the meat even if he’d wanted to. Which, judging by the video of him screaming “Don’t record me, bi**h!” and “Don’t f*****g record me!” he probably didn’t want to.

A spokesperson for KFC Australia told local news ninemsn that the employee at that restaurant, located in an awesome-sounding town called Punchbowl, had been suspended and offered counseling after the bacon-inspired blow-up.

“KFC Australia strongly condemns the behaviour of the team member who appears in the clip and sincerely apologises for this very inappropriate reaction,” the spokesman said.

However, KFC is also looking into the incident to see if the pork-ordering customer had harassed and provoked the employee before the recorded incident. Two sides to every KFC fight story, is what my grandma always said.

Hats off to Consumerist reader Trung V. for the tip.

[ninemsn]

Comments

1. organicgardener says:

Good grief, it’s freakin’ pork, not a picture of Allah (sarcastic). Calm the eff down already. You people are WAAAAAY too upsettable over the tiniest things! That’s why no one gets along with you!

• Storie says:

1 person = all Muslims. :(

• RvLeshrac says:

Or the anti-gay demonstrators.

Or everyone who campaigned to continue the practice of slavery because the bible clearly states that slavery is A-OK.

Yeah, the only irrational, harmful religion is islam.

• pop top says:

I think the OP was being sarcastic.

• Mecharine says:

No /s means there was no sarcasm.

• pop top says:

Oh right, Internet law and all that.

• HalOfBorg says:

Not internet law – it’s simple programing. Many functions use the “/” as an OFF. Like posting an image on many boards is done like this:

[IMG]
              picture location.name
              [/IMG]

So here it is:

[Sarcasm]
              Ignorant remark.
              [/Sarcasm]

• bethshanin says:

Brian, pick up. Over.
                What?
                Brian, please say “over” when you finish talking. Over.
                [sighs] What? Over.
                Do you see the wire yet? Over.
                No… what? Over.
                No. Over.
                Oh, that’s better, I can hear you now. Over. You see it yet? Over.
                You know, you’re a jackass. For the record, I don’t wanna hang out with you anymore when this is over.
                When this is what, Brian? Over.
                I said, I don’t wanna hang out with you anymore when this is over.
                When this is what? You gotta finish your sentence. Over.
                That’s it. My sentence is over.
                Your sentence is what, Brian? Over.
                My sentence is– Wait a minute, I have to say “over” even if the sentence ends with the word “over”?
                Ends with the word what, Brian? Over. [the wire finally comes down from the wall]
                Oh, I see the wire.
                You see the wire what, Brian? Over.
                [grabs the wire and pulls hard] OVER! [Stewie comes crashing down]

• pop top says:

I understand how tags work. I was commenting on the fact that on the Internet if you’re being sarcastic, you have to say you’re being sarcastic, thus ruining the joke.

• Bunnies Attack! says:

Uhh I think it actually means “end sarcasm” implying that all before it was sarcasm.

• imasqre says:

SO lame..

• drblair says:

Well, not the ONLY one.

• DEVO says:

It’s the only one currently cutting off peoples heads. I think.

• JennQPublic says:

Actually, it’s been happening in Mexico lately, too.

So, Muslims and Catholics… Are Mormons next? That’s my bet.

• jake.valentine says:

“Unlike all those Christian anti-abortion activists who bomb clinics and shoot doctors.”
        Yeah, because this occurs just as regularly as attacks by followers of Islam, so there is a correlation. (sarcasm)

“Or the anti-gay demonstrators.”
        It has been my experience that the pro-gay demosntrators are the more aggresive group. Out here in Cali when they had the gay marriage proposition, there were reports of supporters attacking older people who had anti-gay marriage signs on their lawn.

Ignoring violence from followers of islam doesn’t make us any safer. In fact, our insane use of political correctness as a social control tool is a danger to us. Funny thing is that you and I probably see eye-toeye on this specific issue, but we part when any attempts at lose correlations are made.

• deathbecomesme says:

“you people”! “you people”!

What the hell do you mean by “you people”!

/s

• Chaosium says:

I don’t see anyone flipping out about kosher sandwich shops, only a bunch of fat, ignorant rednecks in this thread.

• DEVO says:

Probably means the one and only group of militant jackasses everyone knows and sadly pretends as though they don’t.

• SkreanAme says:

• Chaosium says:

“Awesome. I assume your comment means you have video of someone ordering something at a Kosher shop and the counter people then freakin’ the eff out, right? Where can I view this video?”

His comment had nothing to do with the fact that the employee flipped out.

2. IphtashuFitz says:

For those who care, Punchbowl is just a suburb of Sydney.

• El_Red says:

”I live in Punchbowl”. Sounds interesting. I wonder what inspired the name.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

This is a “Westie” (working-class) suburb, as well. There have historically been some tensions between white Australians and other immigrants who have moved to these communities.

3. PBallRaven says:

Was the customer he swore at offered counseling as well?

Poor offended baby….

4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m not excusing the employee’s behavior, but some people don’t have a clue what halal even is, let alone that there are halal KFCs. Also, even if the customer had made some snide remarks, the employee’s verbal explosion is a pretty severe over-reaction.

• El_Red says:

Over-reaction? Walking out would be overreacting. This guy should be fired immediately. Or transferred to a KFC that sells bacon.

• pop top says:

Ha! That’s funny because he can’t handle bacon but he would be working where he would have to. Hilarious.

• shepd says:

Islam says nothing about handling bacon. Just that it is wrong to consume it. He can handle bacon all he likes.

Now, if he worked at the cash, he might have a moral dilemma over whether it is wrong or not to allow others to eat pork, but that’s a different issue.

• AllanG54 says:

I think on the next SAT test there should be the analogy

Islam is to Judaism as Halal is to….kosher

• JennQPublic says:

I’m thinking this is less about Islam/halal, and more about how working with the public can turn you into a raving lunatic.

• poco says:

Also, why are there Halal KFC’s to begin with? Are there Kosher KFC’s? Vegetarian?

• RarianRakista says:

Because Islamic folks unlike Jewish folks are far more likely to actually follow their crazy religious edicts. Off the top of my head, I know only 1 Jewish person out of maybe 10 I know who actually eats Kosher food, the only 2 Islamic folk I know only eat Halal.

5. Invader Zim says:

What a Ham!!

6. Alexk says:

“Suspended” the employee? That they didn’t fire him outright speaks volumes. And now they’re “investigating” to see if the customer “harrassed” him?

This all suggests that they’re leaning over a bit too far backwards, in their efforts to serve the Halal community.

• RvLeshrac says:

Yes, because becoming angry wasn’t an appropriate response to the racial and/or religious slurs which were likely hurled his way.

• El_Red says:

Using misogynistic language was. If he lowered himself to customer’s level, he deserves to be fired.

• Alexk says:

Let us note that we do not have even an iota of evidence that he was “reacting” to anything more than the customer asking for bacon.

• pop top says:

The community isn’t halal, it’s Islamic. Muslims eat halal food.

Halal : Islam :: Kosher : Judaism

• Alexk says:

My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

• dolemite says:

Having a “Halal” kfc seems really strange to me.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

If there is a huge demand for it, wouldn’t it be weird not to have one?? I wonder how much money there is to made by opening a halal friendly restaurant here?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

depends on where ‘here’ is.
            i’m in the deep south and i can count a dozen halal friendly restaurants near me plus one halal butcher.

• RandomHookup says:

Isn’t the KFC the first place that gets torched when anti-American rioting starts? Seems we have to be in the Muslim world to satisfy their craving for crispy KFC restaurants.

• BBG says:

All the Popeye’s around me (Toronto) are halal.

• JennQPublic says:

I’m going to have to get out there one of these days! My husband won’t eat pork (not religious, but cultural- being raised Muslim, he thinks it’s gross), but I really want him to be able to eat their mashed potatoes. Are they as good without the little bits of ham in the gravy?

• JennQPublic says:

Yes, saying the community is halal kind of implies cannibalism, which wouldn’t be halal.

But for the record, Muslims taste just like chicken.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Yeah, because there’s no possibility that the customer got angry when he found out he couldn’t get his bacon fix. Not saying that’s what happened, but it’s possible, and since the video only shows what the customer recording it wants it to show, it is obviously a biased source, it seems reasonable that the company should investigate to make sure the customer didn’t do something to provoke the response before doing something as drastic as firing the cashier in question.

• Alexk says:

• Chaosium says:

“I’m sorry, but you’re taking the “blame the person complaining” meme way too far. There are things that are never acceptable, and an employee screaming that sort of thing as a customer is on the list.”

The customer *was* a provoking arse, but I’m fine with the employee being fired too.

• JennQPublic says:

We Americans need to explain to these Australians how civilized people handle not being able to have it their way, right away.

By calling 9-1-1.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

as it says above, they are also making sure the customer hadn’t already been harassing him. for all we know the video camera was available that day because the customer does this all the time and brought the camera or invited a friend to record it purely for their own amusement.

• ChuckECheese says:

Some fortunate people live in countries where you cannot be fired for every mistake, and where employers take pains to retrain and educate workers. Sometimes they might even investigate an incident to figure out just what happened and what went wrong, instead of firing everybody or pretending nothing happened.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

You might not realize it, but in Australia, using that kind of language isn’t really a big deal. So to them, it’s not nearly as offensive as it is here. Sure, he shouldn’t have done it, and he shouldn’t have screamed at the customer, but it isn’t something he’s going to get fired for, or I doubt it anyway.

Mr. Aroo had to really change his mode of speaking to fit into our culture. He slips up every once in a while, but he quickly realized that he couldn’t speak to people the way he was used to growing up in Australia. I had to explain to him, that even “damn” isn’t socially acceptable around customers (He works in retail).

• Alexk says:

Oh, come ON!

This isn’t a matter of Aussie vernacular. It’s screaming “BITCH!” at a customer and threatening assault.

• Abradax says:

This shows they actually care a bit about their employees and that people they hire aren’t throw away puppets like they are in the US.

Suspended during investigation is a perfectly valid step in the process.

7. Invader Zim says:

I think that dude doesnt process information like “most” of the rest of us. He is clearly the only one acting like that, he even embarrassed his coworkers. Imagine how he would act if he really had a reason to be upset, like someone slapped him or something? Drugs?

8. Portlandia says:

Regardless if the employee was harassed before the clip was taken it’s no excuse for his behavior.

His response was childish and that of a very very angry person.

• howie_in_az says:

“His response was childish and that of a very very angry person.”

… which would indicate, at least to me, that the employee was provoked by the customer, possibly due to the customer harassing said employee over religious matters like not being down with swine.

9. pop top says:

“According to Islamic law governing food, bacon and other pork products aren’t served at the halal KFCs…”

This is worded oddly. It makes it sound like the Koran dictates what’s served at KFC.

• RvLeshrac says:

That’s because it does. At the halal KFCs.

• Gruppa says:
    • jimmyhl says:

The prophet saw the coming of many things, squinko.

• evnmorlo says:

It does at “halal” locations

• Red Cat Linux says:

Sure. The way Jewish law decides what’s acceptable as Kosher food.

Close enough does not seem to count in horseshoes or religious food restrictions. If the KFC wants to put up a halal sign, then they gotta abide by the religious laws that make it so.

• Clyde Barrow says:

The Koran does mention not eating pork but so does the Old Testament. Although it was probably due to the fact that pork in the Middle-East is dangerously infested with whatever makes it unsafe to eat.

From my understanding with various Muslim friends over the years, the idea not to cook pork along side with halal meat depends upon how strict YOU choose to be also. Some Muslims will drink gelatin-made products even though they’re made with a pork byproduct, others won’t. I know Christians that won’t eat pork. I mean, the list goes on and on.

• productfred says:

I’m not Muslim, but I am Arabic. It’s Qur’an, not Koran. Not offended though, so carry on.

• JennQPublic says:

If you’re Arab, you should know that Arabic words frequently have multiple acceptable English spellings. Of all grammar/spelling points to nit-pick, that’s quite possibly the silliest. Not offend though, so, whatever. :-)

• JennQPublic says:

I think the whole thing against pork was that it tasted like people, and you ran the risk of unintentionally purchasing ‘pork’ that… Wasn’t. Especially during hard times, that could become a real concern, as people got hungrier and less inclined to question an odd flavor to their meat.

Just a personal (and rather morbid) theory.

• JennQPublic says:

I also read it as saying that the Koran made special note of what KFC was permitted to serve.

Of course, since the Koran was written a while ago, it would have referred to it as Kentucky Fried Chicken, not KFC. ;-)

10. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Today’s synonym lesson – you may use “enraged” in place of “hot under.”

#corrections

11. Bativac says:

I’m half Arabic and I think it’s middle easterners in general who are tempramental. Well, at least my dad’s entire family. None of them are Muslim and they are all likely to blow up at seemingly unimportant events (i.e. football, lawn maintenance, etc). “Like the parrot…they like to squawk” is how an Indian friend once described them.

I think shouting profanities was over the line, definitely, but I do wonder if the customer doing the recording didn’t provoke the employee beforehand.

• Portlandia says:

If you’re at work and somebody provokes you, would you react this way? Under any circumstances is that kind of reaction necessary from a rational adult?

The answer is NO. You walk away and don’t get sucked into their negativity.

12. billpendry says:

If you don’t want to be recorded… don’t act in such a recordable manner.

13. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

This is news to me…

I’ve never heard of a Halal fast-food ANYTHING until today.

• evnmorlo says:

They’ll do anything to avoid serving real meat

• Eyeheartpie says:

Eating halal doesn’t preclude eating meat. Just as there is kosher meat, there is halal meat. Same as kosher pork, there’s no such thing as halal pork. It’s just about the processing of the animals to meat that defines kosher/halal.

/themoreyouknow

• Cameraman says:

Why not? There are a few Subway restaurants that are kosher. If there’s a market, there will be companies to serve the market.

Aside: I was in a kosher restaurant once when someone walked in and ordered a ham and cheese. Counter Dude did not flip out but instead explained that 1) they did not serve ham, and 2) the did not serve cheese. Customer and employee negotiated a potentially perplexing cultural exchange with mutual respect and the customer walked out with a sandwich.

14. Short_Circuit_City says:

It’s trying times like these that make me crave a DoubleDownUnder

15. Mr Grey says:

Maybe KFC Australia is owned by Fosters, and screaming at the customer was Aussie for “sorry this KFC does not carry bacon” ?

16. muslins against satin says:

there are like 2-3 halal KFCs here in Chicago. But not everything on the menu is halal.
    They also have (halal) turkey bacon instead = problem solved. And most of the employees aren’t Muslim..it’s like a regular KFC, they don’t even explicitly advertise it as halal.

ironically, while I was eating at one of these KFCs i was told “to go back to your country” by a customer…I don’t think he realized his money was going to omgbrownpeople

17. Talisker says:

Muslims are not allowed to eat pork (unless there is nothing else available), but I wasn’t aware that they weren’t allowed to sell or serve it.

• Cameraman says:

Orthodox Jews believe they cannot sell or serve pork products. The logic there is that profiting from pork products is the same as consuming it themselves. They can give pork products away for free, of course, as long as there is no profit, direct or otherwise. I’d imagine it’s the same for Muslims.

And, of course, Muslims have a real cultural bias against pigs, using pigs as a metaphor for everything disgusting or vile, the way we use rats as a short-hand for uncleanliness. And, I have to point out that apparently Al-Fryolator isn’t the most emotionally stable person to begin with.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

If you keep halal, it makes sense that you would go to a halal restaurant, and what halal restaurant would keep pork if its main audience go there specifically because their religious guidelines dictate their food be prepared or obtained in a certain manner, which includes not eating pork?

• Bella_dilo17 says:

They can’t touch pork either.

• Skyhawk says:

Apparently, they can’t even HEAR words relating to pork, or they become emotionally damaged and must get $$$$$$.

• Chaosium says:

Why would you want to breathe in and taste a food that’s (religiously) harmful every day?

• DEVO says:

Religiously harmful food. That’s sad.

• Chaosium says:

“Religiously harmful food. That’s sad.”

It is!

But, in the free market, it’s a valuable demographic, and is all-inclusive, rather than excluding those that can only eat halal/kosher.

18. xspook says:

So, then, I *can’t* have bacon?

19. AI says:

KFC made a change in their menu to accommodate a minority diet, that forced the majority to follow that diet. Why wouldn’t people be pissed off? I have no problem with people eating halal, but that doesn’t mean I want to. People expect a fast food chain to have a standard menu, and the KFC one includes bacon. The customer had every reason to be confused and upset.

• pop top says:

They didn’t make ALL the KFCs in the area halal, just a few.

• Nick says:

All KFC should be the same. Halal customer can order a double down without bacon.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Halal doesn’t just mean “no pork”. The animal has to be slaughtered in a certain way, and the meat has to be processed in a certain way. A Muslim who sticks to halal cannot just go into any KFC and order the chicken, since the meat is not strictly halal.

As far as your comment, it seems a bit naive. There are localized versions of most fast food places. This is just another local version.

• AI says:

Still, the menu change is not an inclusive change, like adding more salads to satisfy vegetarians. The change is an exclusive change, where KFC is basically saying that people who enjoy bacon (a standard menu item) are not welcome at this location.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

But, if they serve bacon, aren’t they excluding Muslims and Jews?

• AI says:

Most every restaurant would offer halal/kosher items on the menu if that was permissible along with the non-halal/kosher items.

• Chaosium says:

“No, the Muslims and the Jews are excluding themselves by choosing a diet that doesn’t allow bacon, and not compromising by allowing halal/kosher food to be prepared in the same location as non-halal/kosher food.”

Go to Kentucky Fried Pork & Shellfish. Set your expectations properly in a fried chicken shack.

• pop top says:

You know what? You’re right. It’s time for the people who eat pork to be protected from people who have religious dietary restriction and have a few local fast food places in which they can eat based on their religious choices. It’s not like people who eat pork can go anywhere else at all and get what they want, or go to a store later and get bacon and put it on their food. Poor oppressed pork eaters!

• AI says:

A religious dietary restriction is a personal choice, not a medical requirement like lactose or gluten intolerance. If one chooses a diet that doesn’t allow one to eat commonly available food, it is that persons responsibility to ensure they are able to follow that restriction. If this means buying food from specialty stores and cooking at home, then that is their choice.

If KFC decides that there is a significant portion of the population that has chosen halal, they are well within their right to change their menu to support that. However KFC must also understand that this will alienate their original customers.

• Eyeheartpie says:

It’s not like it’s every KFC in Australia decided to only serve halal food. You make it sound like all KFCs will now only be serving halal food. It’s one location among thousands. I’m sure there is another KFC within quick driving distance that doesn’t serve halal food that people could go to if it bothered them that much. However, there probably isn’t another halal KFC anywhere close by that Muslim customers could go to. Besides, there’s is literally no difference in the food that is actually served (other than the whole no bacon thing). You make it sound like “going halal” has negative consequences.

• AI says:

• pop top says:

How do we know the place didn’t have turkey bacon?

• AI says:

Oh right, I forgot. Turkey bacon = real bacon.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Have you actually tried it? I have, and I think it tastes better than “real” bacon, and it’s healthier to boot. Most people that I know that have tried both cannot taste the difference between the 2, and those that can usually prefer the turkey bacon.

• AI says:

I have tried turkey bacon and found it to be a poor substitute to real bacon. As such, I would take my business elsewhere if a restaurant made the switch.

• Chaosium says:

If you find your business unwelcome, go somewhere else. They don’t need such fairweather customers.

• pop top says:

You’re trying very hard to take offense to that, aren’t you? Bored?

• AI says:

Offended? No. Bored? Absolutely.

• Eyeheartpie says:

“To customers that enjoy bacon, going halal has the negative consequence of not allowing them bacon.”

If bacon is that important to someone, they can go somewhere else to eat it. There is no shortage of options for someone who wants bacon that bad. No one is forcing these people to eat at a halal location. You make it sound like someone is forcing these people to stick to halal dietary restrictions, while at the same time lambasting Muslims for choosing to abide by religious dietary restrictions. You sound like you believe bacon should be available everywhere, and fie on those who do not serve it.

“By the same token, what negative consequences are there for a Muslim eating bacon? Physically, there are none.”

Physically, bacon is pretty darn unhealthy. That aside, Muslims cannot eat bacon due to their religious choices. You’re basically saying that Muslims are not allowed to serve food of their choice in their restaurants. You chastise Muslim store owners for wanting to serve what they want, and in the same breath make it sound like people going to this KFC have no other choice than to eat there.

• AI says:

“You sound like you believe bacon should be available everywhere, and fie on those who do not serve it.” – I never said this at all, I said KFC should expect existing customers to be unhappy.

“You’re basically saying that Muslims are not allowed to serve food of their choice in their restaurants. You chastise Muslim store owners for wanting to serve what they want, and in the same breath make it sound like people going to this KFC have no other choice than to eat there.” – I never chastised anyone. I specifically said KFC had the right to change their menu to support halal customers. I also said KFC should expect existing customers to be unhappy.

People here like to get offended by everything, and if there isn’t something, they make it up. I simply made 2 points:
                    1) KFC can indeed have a halal menu
                    2) KFC should expect non-halal customers not to like this change
                    That is all.

• Chaosium says:

“2) KFC should expect non-halal customers not to like this change”

Ones that want to “stick it to the Muslims”

the other 99% will not see any difference.

• ChuckECheese says:

I enjoy fried chicken. But my local Del Taco doesn’t have fried chicken, because they’re Mexican. They are discriminating against my snowy white skin and pure Christian soul. I tried to drown my sorrows in Whoppers, but the only other place nearby was a Wendy’s. I am oppressed indeed.

• Chaosium says:

“I never said anybody needs to be protected. What I did say was that KFC needs to be aware that going halal, by definition, forces all people to go halal, and the customers that aren’t Muslim may not like it.”

If eating bacon is your god-given right and you’re going to throw a crying fit about it, go anywhere else.

You treat bacon like lacking it is crapping on an American flag. KFC is known for fried chicken, not pork. Halal and Kosher are prepared healthier, so I’m all for this transition. I hope it’s permanent and widespread.

• YokoOhNo says:

Can’t people who don’t believe in the supernatural and fables be protected from those who do?

Along the same lines as: If you’re too scared to fly on a plane without “security theater” you can still drive, take a train, walk, swim, etc…leave the rest of us (the reasonable, sane ones) alone.

• Chaosium says:

“Still, the menu change is not an inclusive change, like adding more salads to satisfy vegetarians”

You don’t know what else they’ve added to the menu. But, this is no different again than removing mushrooms or onions from a menu. It doesn’t change their core business a bit.

• El_Red says:

However, I’d simply leave. And eat elsewhere. Vote with my money.

• Eyeheartpie says:

“KFC has to understand that by accommodating the minority diet, they risk losing the majority.”

Places like this (specialized versions of fast food places) are usually located in areas with a large enough population of the target demographic that the majority of patrons are part of the target group.

I’d assume that the area that this KFC was in had a large enough Muslim population that the demand for a halal KFC was there, and therefore the majority of customers would be Muslims who want to eat strictly halal.

• AI says:

They are still excluding all non-halal customers, whatever the percentage, because that is a requirement of halal. No non-halal food can be prepared in the same location. KFC has to be aware that since they didn’t rename the location to “Halal KFC”, that there are going to be confused and angry customers.

Following halal requires making the entire menu halal, as it is not possible to offer just a few halal menu items. This is completely different from offering salad options for vegetarians, or gluten free options for glutards, as those diets don’t force the food being prepared next to them to change.

• pop top says:

Why are people who need gluten-free food retarded?

• Eyeheartpie says:

The thing is, the only really noticeable effect of a restaurant being exclusively halal is that no pork can be served. As someone else said, some halal fast food places substitute turkey bacon in place of conventional bacon. If a person inadvertently goes to a halal place and finds that he can’t get his pig bacon fix, and he REALLY wants bacon, he can easily leave and go to one of a million other places within a mile that serve it.

Besides, if anyone really gets “confused and angry” that they can’t order bacon, they have other issues.

IMO, the cashier overreacted, but I doubt we’re getting the whole story here. Unless the cashier was mentally unbalanced, the only way to get such a reaction would be if the customer was hurling racial/religious slurs before they started recording.

• muslins against satin says:

actually halal food can be prepared in the same location as non-halal food. I believe kosher law is stricter in that sense. and halal food can be offered alongside non-halal food. (as it is in the KFCs here in Chicago)

i guess KFC-Australia decided to do away with bacon since almost everything is chicken. Do they have any items on the menu that are primarily pork?

• AI says:

I’m not sure what the official religious stance is, but my halal eating friend will not eat any food if pork has been prepared in the same kitchen.

• Chaosium says:

“They are still excluding all non-halal customers, whatever the percentage, because that is a requirement of halal.”
          Yes, because non-jews are forbidden from eating Kosher meals.

Wait, what the feck are you talking about?

“No non-halal food can be prepared in the same location”
          Wrong. You know nothing about any of this and should seriously seek professional help, or at least research before you spout out hatred.

• AI says:

2) You won’t find any hatred in anything I have posted on this topic. I’m discussing a consumer issue, not flinging ad hominem attacks.

• Chaosium says:

“1) From what my Muslim friend tells me, halal food cannot be prepared in the same location as non-halal food, as there is a chance it may come into contact with pork, alcohol, or some other non-halal ingredient. If my friend is incorrect in his following of Islam, and halal food is allowed to be prepared around non-halal food, then why shouldn’t this KFC also offer bacon so the customer can have the KFC sandwich he’s used to from their other locations?”

What is excluding a non-Muslim from eating Halal meals? If you want bacon, go somewhere else.

• jesirose says:

Like a restaurant that advertises that it sells bacon products?

I think his point is how do customers KNOW this is a halal restaurant? Are there signs? If not, you can see why a customer would be confused.

It’s understandable, for example, that in India, McDonald’s does not serve any real burgers. If an area of India contained a large population of foreign residents and one decided to open their own McD’s franchise, and serve cow meat, wouldn’t it be a good idea to put up signs, making sure people knew this McDonald’s served different products (different from what is normal in that country), to avoid any confusion?

• Chaosium says:

“wouldn’t it be a good idea to put up signs, making sure people knew this McDonald’s served different products (different from what is normal in that country), to avoid any confusion?”

Again, it’s KFC, they don’t need to put signs up if they’re out of Jalapeno or Onions or Mustard.

Bacon is not Fried Chicken, it does not consist of a significant portion of their products, and never has.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I think if I mistakenly went into a halal KFC and couldn’t get bacon, if I really wanted it, I would politely say thank you to the employee and go elsewhere. If the menu items were okay with me as they were (turkey bacon, or something else looked good), I would order that instead. When I see a sign on a deli that says it’s kosher, I don’t have a fucking cow because of it. I just don’t try to insist on something they don’t have.

The issue is NOT the halal restaurant excluding people. They’re not refusing to serve non-Muslim diners. It’s entitled baby brat ass customers who have to have what they want “RIGHT NOW BECAUSE YOU’RE A KFC AND YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BACON!!!!!!!!” It’s really no different than going into any restaurant that doesn’t have a certain menu item. If it doesn’t and you really want it, go somewhere else and stow the attitude.

I disagree with the employee’s behavior. I also think a sign or two stating that the KFC is halal would be a good idea, like “This KFC is halal and does not serve or prepare any pork products, including bacon.”

• Chaosium says:

“KFC made a change in their menu to accommodate a minority diet, that forced the majority to follow that diet. “

Wow, you are pretty psycho.

20. eyecon82 says:

I don’t care if he was harassed before…that is not how you act in a work environment! I can’t believe they just suspended him…shows how much integrity KFC has

21. YokoOhNo says:

that guy looks like he’s going to blow up!

22. jitwad says:

Y mght b Mslm f y wp yr ss wth yr br hnd bt cnsdr bcn t b ncln LL

23. Brink006 says:

Unfortunately, the Flag for Review captcha seems broken as I can’t report all the ignorance in this thread. I can’t believe I read the same blog as some of these people.

• YokoOhNo says:

you could write a poem about it…or just get off your mommy’s computer before she catches you and gives you a spanking!

• YokoOhNo says:

I don’t know how my previous post got that way…

I meant, I’m right with you on this one! I am easily offended by words and I too believe suppression is the best remedy when offended!!!

• Brink006 says:

Maybe I’ll just ignore the offensive thoughts and give it a silent pass. In no way would I be condoning that narrative by failing to speak!

24. gigwave says:

Where’s the link to the video?

25. mikebw says:

I encountered a similar situation about 10 years ago at a local fast food place- Food was ordered and the customer paid by placing the money down on the counter instead of handing it directly to the cashier. The cashier then became very irate and belligerent, yelling at the customer that he was not his “N-word” and that he was “going to kill you” and almost jumped over the counter before the manager shuffled him to the back. No provocation.

Some people just have very short tempers and certain things will set them off every time. Mostly likely these people should not be in foodservice.

26. CPC says:

Apparently this KFC does serve non-halal food. The sign behind the employees actually says “Popcorn chicken is not halal.”.

27. Chaosium says:

The employee is nuts, but the “customer” is also a bigot trying to stir up trouble.

28. FrugalFreak says:

“Which, judging by the video of him screaming “Don’t record me, bi**h!” and “Don’t f*****g record me!” he probably didn’t want to.”

Where is the video?

KFC sells bacon on some sandwiches. KFC is not a muslim based eatery, not an unusual request IMO

29. Absinthe says:

oh noes!!!! I wants me some bacon!!

30. Salty Johnson says:

I read that as “for screaming at a customer in Australian” and suddenly wondered if Australia had their own language that I was not aware of.