UPS Delivers A Monitor Only Aquaman Could Appreciate

H ordered a computer monitor online, only to see it show up at his door in this moisturized condition, courtesy of UPS. He says it came in a box large enough to hold five of the monitors.

Luckily, the vendor from which H bought the monitor replaced the product and arranged for the pickup of the old one.

What was the most beaten-up package you’ve ever received, and who delivered it?

Comments

1. FuzzyWillow says:

I once ordered one of those swing set / fort / sandbox thingies that came via a trucking company.

The truck pulled up and the guy started pulling off sticks of lumber (No packaging.) Boxes of screws that had opened up with nuts and bolts falling out. There was a whole bunch of stuff left in my driveway. The driver said, “If you find anything missing, call the shipper – they will send you replacement parts.”

There wasn’t anything missing – After I checked with the instructions it turns out, I got parts from someone elses swing set, and someone elses furniture kit and someone elses toolkit.

I feel bad for whoever else was on that truck driver’s route that day. Their stuff ended up in my driveway.

2. Red Cat Linux says:

EGL shippers (Called Eagle). Large package delivery on a custom pallet. The shipping company:

* Removed the anti-tip sensors by cutting away the box.
    * Tipped the device and removed it from the custom pallet
    * Ran a forklift into the device, denting it severely.
    * Dropped it, apparently, since one of the legs was bent
    * Using what must have been a forklift, put it on a standard pallet, it’s wheels dangling uselessly between the slats. They didn’t even give us a crowbar to break the pallet out from underneath it, since that is the only way left to get it off.
    * Wrapped the original packaging, anti-tip device still clear, back around the object and taped it shut
    * Delivered said monstrosity to us
    * Were surprised when the delivery was rejected for damage.
    * Two weeks later did the exact same thing with the replacement device.

I can only imagine that the company that shipped these devices sued the pants off them.

• c!tizen says:

eh, Eagle is one of the worst delivery companies ever. We had the same experience with them at a former employer. They had to redeliver the same Kodak imaging devices (3 on the order) 4 times because they couldn’t quite grasp the words on the side that read: DO NOT TIP ON SIDE. The glass in the scanner was cracked every time until they shipped it via UPS Freight.

• Red Cat Linux says:

That must’ve been before I had to deal with them. They have apparently grasped enough about that anti-tip device to realize that they needed to remove it before tipping it, then put it back on.

The sad thing is that each of these devices cost over $100k, and they damaged two before another shipping company was engaged.

• selkie says:

That sounds rather what we went through trying to get Lowe’s to deliver a non-dented clothes washer to our house. (their drunk and stoned warehouse workers apparently kept hitting things with the forklift)

I’m no engineering expert, but given the high spin rate of a front-loading washer and its tendency to vibrate a lot if it isn’t perfectly balanced, we thought it was smartest to refuse delivery even after they offered a 10% discount on the machine. If it was hit with enough force to create that big of a dent, we weren’t going to take the chance that its delicate German innards had also been damaged.

• osiris73 says:

Your lack of specifying what said “device” is has me intrigued. What could it have been that you won’t tell us what it is? Of course my imagination is running wild.

• sonneillon says:

The power to reject delivery.

Harder to do as a consumer than as a business, but examine items before you sign for them.

3. Mom says:

UPS. Desktop computer. It was a shattered pile of parts. It must have been involved in a plane crash to be broken that badly.

To UPS’ credit, they were good about paying the claim.

• BBBB says:

I sent a computer (in the original box) that looked like it was dropped on a corner – most of the case rivets popped. Using an old computer, I found that with no box it took a drop of over five feet to pop any rivets. UPS denied the claim for insufficient packaging and refused to discuss the severity of the damage.

4. jimmyhl says:

When I was a college kid working at a truck depot I ran a forklift straight through a pallet of Jack Daniels. The stuff was just gushing out of there and the whole place reeked of booze all night.

5. Pibbs says:

I had a Christmas gift for the daughter of my wife’s cousin delivered in December completely soaking wet. It was like the FedEx guy had dipped the entire packaged in water. The cardboard was coming apart. All that was on the package was one of those sticky notes from FedEx. Not an apology, nothing. It was a good thing the present inside was a bunch of foam cutout bath toys from Toys R Us.

• Quake 'n' Shake says:

And they were packed in Styrofoam peanuts, right?

• Pibbs says:

Lol, thankfully no, because by the time the package was delivered to me, the packing peanuts would’ve been all over my lawn. The cardboard was literally disintegrating.

6. hmburgers says:

My LCD TV shipped from a Houston warehouse during Hurricane Gustav in 2008… the box was completely soaked and torn, so they cut pieces of other boxes and taped those around the gaping holes created where the original box had tore through.

I had it delivered to my work and they accepted it, so there was no rejecting it… I opened it up–not hard because the box was literally soaking wet so the box was like mush–and saw that the TV was factory wrapped in plastic as was the remote… all the printed materials inside were destroyed, but from what I could see the TV itself was fine… 2+ years later it’s still working just great in my living room.

I ordered one of those truck boxes that goes at the back of your pickup a few years ago, it was shipped by ‘Eagle’ to my house… what I am writing is not an exaggeration in any way, and what I quote is literally verbatim… an 18-wheeler pulled up in front of my condo complex, the guy honks his air horn twice… I happened to be home, saw it, figured it was my box, so I came out, driver doesn’t say hello, nothing, yells out his window (truck still idling) — “You didn’t pay for gate service so you aren’t using my hydraulic gate… and you ain’t got no dock, and they won’t allow nobody but me to climb back there…” … I stand there befuddled, and say “Can I pay for gate service then?”… “Nope”… “Ok what can we do about this?”… “Next time you think ahead, ya hear?”… he gets out of the cab, opens up the backdoor pushes the box along the floor of the trailer to the edge and before I can get close gives it one last kick so it drops the 3-4′ to the pavement… jumps down, closes his doors and gets back in his cab and hauls ass outta here…

• Red Cat Linux says:

O_o

I wish I could say that this was NOT surprising (see my post up above), but I can still be shocked by EGL, apparently.

They are the crappiest shippers.

Did your TV get damaged?

• Kibit says:

Um…WOW!

Pay ahead for gate service? Were you even offered that option?

I hope your truck box was okay.

• TheoSqua says:

That last story is actually kind of awesome.

• JiminyChristmas says:

That’s crappy service on the part of both the seller and the shipper. If the item can’t be delivered to your doorstep the seller should make clear how the delivery is to be made.

The standard terms for tractor-trailer delivery is that the driver is required only to bring your delivery to the back of the trailer. Getting it down from there and into your house is your problem to figure out and the driver isn’t obligated to give you a hand. The typical trailer on an 18-wheeler doesn’t even have a lift gate. The seller should have made all of that crystal clear.

That said, the driver was a jackass. Since he was there on a truck with a lift gate the difference between lowering your delivery to the ground and booting it out of the trailer was all of two minutes.

7. framitz says:

Crate with a forklift fork all the way through the box. By a fluke of luck the machinery inside was unharmed.

• Jean Naimard says:

The forklift driver probably used to work in a circus, doing the “sword through the box with a woman inside” trick…

8. dcarrington01 says:

Purchased a computer a few years back, UPS was the shipper, Received the computer case/box with a large 3/4″ rusty looking hole in the box, that penetrated the STEEL case, and motherboard. UPS refused to pay for it, since according to them it wasn’t properly packaged for shipment. Um how are you supposed to package something like that if 3/4″ rebar or the like gets driven thru the packaging, material and the STEEL case? Took months to finally get that settled

• Robert Nagel says:

Had precisely the same thing happen to me. A hole clear through a 3/8″ plywood protection and I was told I hadn’t packed it well enough. The problem is that the insurance company you are dealing with is owned by UPS. They have absolutely no incentive to settle.
      As an aside, during a discussion with a UPS supervisor I was informed that UPS was one of the most ethical companies there was. I informed him that UPS was a lot of things, and not all bad, but ethical wasn’t one of them.

9. xspook says:

Years ago when I moved to Maine, the movers showed up with my stuff – so far, so good. I had a 6 month old (then) pair of the old style Bose 501 speakers in the original boxes. One of the boxes had a piece of plywood sticking in it like a friggin sword. I mean, it was about 3 feet long and 7 inches wide. It went in one side and out the other. I thought for sure that speaker was a goner.

I opened up the box and the speaker wasn’t touched. The plywood sword was wedged between the inner cardboard box wall and the speaker grill.

10. Aeirlys says:

My employer’s interoffice shipping (on company owned trucks that move between distribution centers) routinely delivers the kind of beatings UPS can only dream of.

11. rahntwo says:

Ordered the Guitar Hero mega whatever set, the one with the drums and singing and two guitars from a company thru Amazon. A forklift blade had gone all the way thru the middle and out the other side. I took pictures before and during the opening. Amazingly, there was not so much as a scratch to be found anywhere.

12. Alternate says:

Yech. I recently ordered a bunch of computer parts online and had to split the order into two smaller orders. One was shipped via UPS and one was shipped via Purolator. Despite the Purolator order being placed later and being heavier, it was delivered faster and in better condition. The UPS order took an extra 3 days and one of the boxes had a massive hole in it, through which I could see the contents.

The UPS guy was also a dick, while the Purolator guy just seemed like a stoner.

Needless to say, not planning on using UPS from this point forward.

• frak says:

Purolater, oil filters and shipping?

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Purolator is a Canadian courier company. Used to be owned by Canada Post IIRC. GIYF.

• Gardius says:

I believe Canada Post still owns a 95% stake in the company. I can’t say enough about how great Purolator’s service has been; never had a single order arrive damaged, and they often ship very quickly. Canpar, however, has been very hit and miss, with several breakages, and some orders taking 15 business days to make it from Ontario to British Columbia.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

When I order samples from Canada for people, they ship Purolator. Until I started doing that I had never heard of them..

13. Get A Amberlance says:

A front quarter panel for my Lancer. I don’t recall whether it was UPS or FedEx, but my auto body guy said it looked like it was run over by a tractor trailer. Needless to say I had to buy the part all over again from the auto body shop.

14. Primarylupine says:

When I worked at Borders, we received a return, via FedEx, of an IBM PS/2 Model 80 that looked like it had been used as a plaything by the Hulk. It appeared that it had been grasped at both ends, then twisted into a nice “bow-tie” shape, much like the similarly named pasta. It arrived at the remote store that way, and they refused the shipment. My complaint to the customer service line was, “If I ship something by air, I usually expect you to land the plane before dropping off the package”.

For reference, the PS/2 Model 80 weighs over 70 pounds, and stands about 3ft tall. The cases are made from something like recycled Buicks.

• Pax says:

ROFL

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I remember them – I believe they weighed about 50 lbs. (Cost $10K and had an 80386 16mhz processor! Yikes!)

• AstroPig7 says:

Did you leave the candy corn liquor where the FedEx guy could get to it? That might be your problem.

15. SeattleSeven says:

I ordered some prescription drugs for my pet, they came via FedEx and arrived frozen… Frozen solid. They of course were not supposed to be frozen and all had to be replaced.

The LOW temp that day was 51 degrees. I have no idea how they managed to do this and somehow keep it frozen while it made its way to my home.

• INsano says:

In case it hadn’t occurred to you, shippers use airplanes to move products from one remote location to another. Airplanes go way high up in the big blue thing. It’s fucking cold at 35,000 feet.

16. hymie! says:

FedEx…
    (*) glass bowl to my sister, destroyed
    (*) new dishes to my dad, half destroyed
    (*) vase to my mother, destroyed

Considering they all went to different parts of the northeastern US, I must presume that my local FedEx and/or Kinkos destroyed them all.

Unfortunately, I moved to a new house around the same time these all got shipped, so my attempts at getting these various gifts returned to me for filing claims all failed.

17. seth_lerman says:

Back in the summer of 2006 I was taking delivery of a stove I bought at Home Depot (Jennair dual fuel, 5 burner with double oven). The installers while carrying it into the house managed to smash the top of it into one of my front doors. This was a 36″ standard slide in unit being brought through double front doors (both open, 72″ opening).

The shipper dragged their feet repairing/replacing unit. Took it up with Home Depot, they also dragged their feet. This was before I knew about the Consumerist web site or the EECB resources. Did my own follow-up via the BBB (hey, they worked out well for me).

In the end Home Depot gave me a full refund on the unit ($1700). A free 5 year warranty and replaced it with a brand new unit anyway in addition to fixing the damage to my front door (actually the storm/screen door).

18. chemmy says:

Trucking company I work for was moving an order of custom kitchen cabinets from TX to MD.

Overnight warehouse guy accidentally drove the forklift into (and through) the box.

Came to work to find police searching the building. Turned out custom cabinets = 500 lbs of pot. They only discovered it when they destroyed it.

19. RobSmalls says:

PCS move between Pearl Harbor and Washington DC. Military move contractors are the worst. I had two holes in my box spring that were curiously of the same size and distance apart as those of a forklift’s tines. We were missing a whole wallet of CDs (back when people still bought CDs), they broke the leg off an armoire, etc. etc. There’s not enough Internet to document the woes involving military moves.

• Kestris says:

I got lucky on my one and only PCS move. From Okinawa to Camp Lejeune, NC and all they broke was my 10gal mirror backed fish tank.

• Kibit says:

That sucks to hear that they have gotten so bad. We had quite a few moves with them including one from Hawaii to Alabama. (as far as I was concerned moving us from Hawaii to Alabama was the Navy’s idea of a bad joke! However, I was a kid and had to go :) And they were all good. Now my Mom packed all of our breakables, but besides that they were good.

My brother just went from Virginia to Germany and only had one thing broken, but his ex-wife had packed that item, so he’s pretty sure thats why it broke.

• RobSmalls says:

I actually got off pretty light. The forklift holes in the boxspring were ugly, but concealed during use. The armoire was a giveaway from buddy on my boat who was moving, so I wasn’t out anything there either. The CDs were a loss, but Napster and Kazaa filled the void pretty well. SO all in all, it was upsetting but nothing earth-shattering.

Other folks, however, have told me that they have filed claims of $15-20K against the Navy PPO for losses/breakages during their moves. And the claims process takes months if not years, which is another reason we just decided to let it go. As frustrating as it all was, we weren’t prepared to deal with the hassle of seeking reparations.

• cvt2010 says:

Yeah, I grew up in the Navy and we always had a ton of stuff damaged. My mom gave up and started buying furniture from This End Up (when they used to exist) because it’s the sturdiest (albiet also the ugliest) furniture around.

My favorite though was when they managed to get about ten boxes of records and books soaking wet, then leave them in storage for a few weeks so they got nice and moldy. I think they denied all responsibility for that one, and my parents gave up trying to fight them.

• gqcarrick says:

Weird, my buddy had his corvette shipped from Alaska to NY and it was fine. Then again who knows about the rest of his stuff.

• RobSmalls says:

When it comes to cars, they are actually pretty good. The schedules are accurate, the cars arrive in the some shape they left, and so on. It’s the household goods department that pushes them far into the realm of suck.

• bblawson says:

No kidding. Just moved from the UK to Georgia and had a $6000 (yes, that’s six THOUSAND) claim. They were such idiots. I documented it all with photos and luckily my claim was approved.

• Firevine says:

I used to work for a mover that had military contracts. We had a guy who’s work ethics were “Ain’t my shit”, a guy who drank a six pack of King Cobra for lunch every day, an illiterate truck driver who talked about how he used to sniff the gas in his dads motorcycle when he was a kid, no matter how many times his dad smacked him around for it, and the warehouse manager got arrested for sending out cocaine on the OTR moves.

You meet the weirdest people as a mover.

20. CPENinja says:

While working as an IT support guru for a tech company, I got a request from the local staff for some new hardware – $1.8 million worth of about 4 servers. I placed the order, and it went into limbo for a few months. Cue December. Everyone is on vacation, including me. The servers are shipped, and brought to us by our gracious we-have-a-contract-with-you-guys-forever shipping company. Wise enough to realize that leaving $1.8 million worth of hardware outside the front door is a bad idea, they send it back to their warehouse. The warehouse manager calls my office. No answer (of course). He does this three more times over the next couple of days. I was out for the year, so again – no answer. So he does the only logical thing he can think of:

Send the machines to our scrapping plant to be destroyed.

You heard me.

There is nothing worse than coming back in January, calling up the warehouse manager, and getting a cheerful response of “don’t worry, I went ahead and shipping them up north.”

“Up north sir?”

“Yeah – to the scrappers”

“To th- WHAT?”

“Yeah, you wanted those disposed of, right?”

“NO! THEY WERE BRAND NEW!”

“Oh… oops!”

I called the scrapping facility, and was devastated to find out that they boast an incredible efficiency rate for the destruction of incoming machines. My servers were gone.

The shipping company DID offer to replace them – up to their contractually-obligated insurance amount of $100,000!

It took a month and some VPs to get them to actually replace the damned servers.

21. skapig says:

With any carrier your packages will get beaten up. They handle far too many to take the time to identify and baby certain items. It is the responsibility of the shipper to pack the contents properly so as to minimize the likelihood of damage.

What people fail to realize is that retail packaging is usually not sufficient protection for fragile items such as monitors. That doesn’t stop some retailers from going the cheaper route and just eating the cost of those items that do get damaged.

22. Mom says:

Office move, local moving company that specialized in corporate moves. We get moved, and one guy doesn’t have a desk, just a box with some of the stuff that had been in his desk. Someone saw the movers drop a desk when they were carrying it to the truck. Apparently it shattered upon impact.

23. KyBash says:

Magazine inside a padded envelope arrived with its cover torn. Envelope had been shipped with $127 item of clothing inside and probably hadn’t been sealed closed with Scotch tape. Magazine’s address label showed it belonged to a local UPS employee.

Package of books was soaked in some foul liquid and had been stuffed into a plastic bag with a note “Received damaged at UPS” even though some of their stamps/writing on the labels was clearly done pre-soaking. UPS driver absolutely refused to let me refuse shipment, saying he wasn’t putting it back on his truck no matter what.

Book inside a padded envelope broken. Literally — the book was broken in half as if some karate expert had used it in a demonstration. Envelope had a sharp crease on one side and some scuffing on the other, but otherwise looked in remarkably good condition for a UPS delivery.

Shoebox-sized wooden box tinkled as UPS driver set it on a table. As he held out the form for me to sign, I shook the box and clearly heard the sound of broken crystal (or some other thin, resonant glass). I refused to sign, not because it was damaged but because it was addressed to the house two doors down and those people had moved out over a year before. He threatened to call police because I had “vandalized” the package.

24. baquwards says:

a 42″ lcd tv. Ups delivered a TV that had obviously been driven into by a forklift! How dissapointing! Newegg came through in an awesome way by overnighting a new tv at no extra cost, even before they received the damaged one back. Yes they had my credit card number, but it was cool that they made the extra effort to minimize my disappointment.

25. ConsumerA says:

Two years ago, my mom ordered a 18″x24″ glass picture frame on Amazon.com and had it shipped to me as a Christmas gift. The order was filled by Adorama and shipped via USPS. When I picked up the package from the post office, I found that the packaging consisted of two flat pieces of cardboard taped together along the seams. The postal clerk said it sounded like broken glass inside. I took the ‘package’ home and opened it to find it was full of broken glass and a broken picture frame between the two pieces of cardboard. I couldn’t believe that there was absolutely NO other packing material to protect the 18″x24″ pane of glass while it was shipped from New York to Colorado. Packaging FAIL!

• HungryGal says:

Gosh, I didn’t know you could get picture glass shipped! I’ve looked at getting custom framing done cheap online and none of the online frame stores I’ve been to will sell you glass… only plexi.

26. schiff says:

I received this package from UPS: http://www.schiffner.com/index.php/2010/06/04/ups-ground-think-again/

Always nice to receive warranty replacement items in a shipping damaged state. Luckily I was able to get Crucial to replace the replacement memory.

27. Jay911 says:

I ordered a wallet and a belt both made from recycled fire hose, from “FeuerWear” in Germany. So it wasn’t exactly fragile. Lucky for me.. either DHL or Canada Post caused it to be presented at my post off in this condition:

28. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

My wife sent an artificial Xmas tree to her sister via UPS. All the “limbs” got there, but not the center pole.

29. Jean Naimard says:

A long, long time ago, in a previous life in a galaxy far far away (about 15 blocks from where I live), we received a $75,000 disk drive controller for an IBM mainframe (back then, disk drives capacity were measured in mere megabytes).

The driver was adamant that we should sign the packing slip.

However, when we noticed two symetrical dents in the metal casing, one caving inwards and the other caving outwards, both in the approximate shape and size of a fork-lift truck fork, we declined signing.

The driver was pretty pissed off that he had to bring it back on the truck.

I wonder why???

30. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

My company received 2 pallets of 6 large metal drums (55 gallon?) one day from a common LTL carrier. Turns out, the clothing we shipped to our customer shared a trailer with drums of Resin Solution. Truck wrecked. Drum ruptured. Very smelly “hazmat” clothing resulted, but the trucker returned the cartons, clothing included, sealed in drums and left them at our dock.

As a bonus, one of the drums was full of the resin solution, so the carrier had to return to reclaim it.

We made the mistake of opening one of the drums to see our clothing. I don’t recommend this as the smell nearly knocked us over.

That was the oddest thing that happened shipping-wise at my job.

31. sjgarg says:

A while ago we needed a new keyboard for an HP laptop. We ordered one off ebay and they shipped it by USPS.
    Here’s how it arrived:

They didn’t ship it in a rigid box, nor in a bubble mailer nor wrapped in bubble wrap. Just shoved into a regular mailing envelope in a plastic bag.
    It was permanently bent, the package was torn open and keys were falling off/broken when we further went in.

The shipper was angry that we demanded a replacement or refund, we got a replacement… a used keyboard full of food and hair, lots of little sesame seeds and dirty keys…. Yeah, we left him a negative feedback and bought a keyboard elsewhere..

32. Robert Nagel says:

I once sent two large, 24″ x 2″ round pins to a customer. They weighed about 40 pounds total. When the box arrived it was empty. Somewhere they had apparently dropped the box and the pins shot out through the side of the box. When I filed a claim I was informed that I didn’t pack the pins well enough. I asked how they could in good conscience deliver a box labeled 40 pounds and yet weighing 2 pounds at most. I was informed that UPS considers that they have earned their freight as long as they deliver the box, empty or not.

33. stevied says:

Stupid terms of the tariff.

The item had to be delivered unless absolutely, postively damaged beyond repair or salvage.

My most beat up? 3000 lb steel frame generator. Crated for export using 3/4″ plywood sheeting mounted by screws to the standard domestic crate…. which normally was sufficient to protect the unit…. lets say… being dropped 12 ft from the top of a pallet rack.

Delivered in a refrigerator box…. Cardboard box used to cover a refrigerator from being scratched…… Steel frame bent, welds broke. block cracked etc etc.

Oh, what happened? Freight trailer was hit by a train.

Freight company thought we might be able to salvage something…. so they had to deliver it. Attempted. It never came off the truck.

34. gman863 says:

Anything sent via FedEx Ground.

Their drivers are all independent contractors. Lazy as hell and illiterate – three packages sent to me during 2010 were “returned to sender” because the driver was simply too lazy to deliver them. Calls to FedEx were like takling to a parrot who could only say “Contact the sender.”

Although I’m both open minded and liberal, FedEx and Payless Shoes do appear to have something in common: 50,000 (redacted) loafers.

• majortom1981 says:

when we get fedex the guy does not even stop to see if we open the door. Literally drops (yes DROPS) the package kicks the door with his shoe and Sprints to his truck.

next time i will get a video if i can. its horrible.

• gman863 says:

+1 for your video idea.

I’m getting ready to install a CCTV camera system. Maybe we should set up a YouTube page dedicated to FedEx Ground (evil grin…).

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I have very little trouble with FedEx Express but Ground is indeed a suckfest of woe at times.

I wish all the drivers were like my pickup guys, though. They are AWESOME. Also the Express dropoff guy who recommends movies to me. Yay for them!

• stevied says:

Yep they are.

And as such FedEx lacks disciplinary control over the “contractor”

The Contractor could take a public whiz, kick your dog, yell horrible things at your child and FedEx is powerless to take action against the idiot.

35. soj4life says:

I ordered the matrix trilogy on hd dvd and it was shipped through usps. I live in delaware, amazon is in delaware but usps sent it up to their processing center in philly. I was suppose to get it after 3 business days, after a week amazon sent me a replacement. More than a week latter the original just showed up, no knock on the door and some weird note on the box.

36. tator says:

I worked with an engineer who had earlier been in UPS management. Some of the stories he told include:
    . Plane needed unloading and conveyor wasn’t immediately available so the packages were pushed 10′-15′ to a pile on the tarmac.
    . Truck was involved in traffic accident (with fire). Was with the response team truck. Ass chewing from police for continually crossing their lines to retreive packages and trying to decide if package wasn’t fire/water damaged to be delivered.

His best advice is if you receive a package at home that is damaged (and was left without signature) claim it was not received. They pay nondelivery claims but sometimes argue packaging when products are broken (particullarly with non commercial shippers).

37. retailriter says:

I moved cross-country and drove my own moving van. Not wanting my computer to get too “jostled around” on the drive, I decided to ship it separately using UPS, and got it insured.

It arrived at my destination shattered in pieces. Fortunately, because I had purchased the insurance, UPS completed replaced the computer, and did so promptly and graciously. They just asked me to check on the price of a new replacement, and sent me a check to cover the purchase right away, no question asked. Not sure how the damage occured, but in their favor, I was satisfied with their response.

38. JayPhat says:

At a friends house. Waited all day for UPS to ship his new office chair to him, as the little tracker says delivery is today. They call up around noon.
    “our driver is on your street and can’t find the house”
    “pretty easy. It’s the only PURPLE one out here (don’t ask)”
    three and a half hours later. UPS guy drives PAST the house. comes back two minutes later. Parks at the curb which is a good 100FT away. Watch as he opens the back door and drops the nice $200 chair in it’s box onto the ground. Picks up said box, tosses it back into truck, drives away with us standing in the yard. Calls up the UPS hotline.
    “oh, the driver appears to have noted that the package was damaged before arrival so we’re sending it back to the shipper”

39. Marilius says:

I ordered a steering gearbox from a dodge dealership out of town (no dealership in town, lived in a small northern Canadian community) They shipped it Canada Post. When it arrived in town almost three weeks later, there was no box anymore. One side of the cardboard was loosely attached with a big tin strap, and that was it. Upon investigation, Canada Post got it in almost two weeks prior, gave it to a small local airline to send to another small community for no reason, it sat in that other community for about a week and a half, when one of their pilots who knew me brought it back, gave it to another airline who held on to it in their cargo office for 4 days without calling me. None of the three companies ever admitted to anything, and claimed the box was like that when each of them got it.

40. BillyDeeCT says:

I received a very expensive piece of audio equipment that was basically just wrapped in cardboard. This fine packing job was done by a UPS Store! To add insult to injury, UPS decided on their own to close out the claim on their own, leaving me high and dry! I ended up contacting executive officers and by the time they got back to me (3 months) the packaging had already been disposed of! Between the manufacturer and I we ended up footing the bill for the damage UPS and their UPS Store should have stepped up and compensated me for.

I use UPS less and less now as they are practically as bad as FedEx Ground!

41. SharkD says:

ABF freight “lost” a 37″ Sharp LCD TV. Mind you, this was in 2004 and the TV cost $4,000.

They explained that they had a record of the TV being loaded onto the truck, but that when it arrived at the next location, the TV had mysteriously disappeared from said truck somewhere along the NJ Turnpike. (I presume that the truck got too hot due to the summer sun, and the TV, as they are frequently apt to do, evaporated.)

B&H sent a new TV, which ABF charged a manager with escorting from NY to my door, in D.C.

UPS delivered a used PlayStation (original) in a box that looked as though a great white shark had taken a bite out of one corner… after an elephant had finished sitting on the parcel. The PlayStation within had a similar bite out of it.

I would have refused delivery, but was living in an apartment at the time. The little old lady who ran a dry cleaner’s in the basement of my building and was the official delivery point for the building, dutifully accepted the package for me.

The retailer grudgingly replaced the PS One.

42. Admiral_John says:

I ordered a PC case from Newegg about a year ago. The UPS driver walked about 1/2 the way up the walk to my porch and tossed the box (which was clearly labeled as a PC case but how does he know there wasn’t a pre-built PC in that case) onto the porch, got back into his truck and drove away by the time I got to the door.

43. amuro98 says:

I used to work for a company that made 1U computer servers.

Customer refused a box because there was a tire track on the box. Not from a forklift, but from one of their trucks!

The steel casing of the server was severely dented. In fact, the motherboard, RAM and even the hard drive were noticeably curved. The hard drive was toast, but the system POSTed just fine and was incorporated into an exhibit explaining our boxes were as tough as they were small.

44. lyllydd says:

I have posted elsewhere about my hubby’s experience with UPS and their complete failure when it comes to sensitive electronic equipment.
    What annoys me is that other shippers will hand off packages to UPS. So you may think you’re using Fedex, but if the recipient’s address is not on their delivery route, they will pass it off to UPS.
    This happened to me when I was attempting to send a Christmas present to my niece. The gift was all we could afford to send that year, and we wanted it to arrive in one piece, so we used Fedex. She lived on the west coast of Florida, and apparently Fedex didn’t have a complete map of the US, so they had no idea where that was. They handed over the package to a UPS facility somewhere down south. Tracking could not reveal its top-secret location. We did manage to pick up the trail with UPS. Their drivers could barely find their own rear ends with both hands and a GPS, so the package never made it. They dragged it back to the top-secret UPS facility, and refused to surrender it either to the recipient or to the original owner.
    It was undoubtedly sold, like many of the ‘unclaimed’ items that UPS cannot deliver and will not return.
    I have found that when shipping, the best strategy is to ship to a location known to Fedex, and ask a relative to pick up and hand-deliver the parcel.

45. Optimistic Prime says:

The worst I’d gotten was an empty padded envelope from the USPS. It had a DS game inside when it shipped, obviously opened, arrived in a “sorry your package arrived f’d up” envelope. I didn’t even open that outer envelope and went to the post office. Took some doing but they eventually paid for my game.

46. joako says:

I used to own a Volkswagen (worst car ever) and was in an accident were the head airbags went off. Apparently Volkswagen ships one-off orders to their dealers via UPS and I had to have them change the roof (headliner) because it was shipped to the dealer UPS ground each time in a box that wasn’t much larger than the headliner. After the 3rd or 4th box I just accepted the one that wasn’t too damaged.

47. Ariannah says:

The most beaten up package I ever received was sent by my then new employer. The package contained the most critical part of a desktop computer system–the CPU tower–which I was supposed to sign for. The woman at my company stressed the fact repeatedly when she set up delivery that I needed to be sure I was going to be home to sign for the packages. No problem at all, and I made sure I was home the entire time. So, I wait, and wait, and wait, doing things around the house, popping outside every so often for a cigarette. Imagine my surprise when I went outside for a smoke break and find a set of the most beat up, pathetic packages I have ever seen (excepting the photo of the package in this story). They literally looked like somebody had rolled them down a mountain. I never signed for them. The delivery person just dumped them at the opening of my garage and left. After taking pictures, which I still have, I contacted my employer, I forwarded them the pictures, and tested the equipment as requested. Naturally, it didn’t work, considering the contents were in pieces. The boxes were so badly beat up, they had to send me NEW boxes to send the equipment back because the old ones weren’t fit for shipping. (They weren’t even fit for my cat to play in!) My employer straightened it out, though I ended up losing money because I had to wait an extra week to start work, thus losing pay.

The delivery carrier? UPS.