Awesome Holiday Gives You Until April 18 To Do Taxes

Tax Cat here. Yes, I’m sorry, it’s me again. What? You’re glad to see me? You’re going to itemize? Oh, I can’t stop purring. Well, I know Consumerist readers are already hard at work preparing their 2010 returns — and never, ever procrastinate — but I thought I’d pop in and mention that a little-known D.C. holiday that celebrates the freeing of slaves (called “Emancipation Day”) is being observed on April 15th. That means that since taxes can’t be due on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays — you get until April 18th this year to file your taxes!

Or you could just do it early and get it out of the way. Ahem.

Oh, look, someone is moving a foot under a blanket. I must attack that right away. See you all later.

Tax day extended to April 18 [CNN]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Not that awesome a holiday, since I don’t get the day off.

2. Azzizzi says:

I’ll have mine done long before the 15th or the 18th anyway. I guess for some, it’s a good way to prolong the torture.

3. RandomHookup says:

A post that could have been hosted by both Tax Cat and Holiday Cat.

4. Blueskylaw says:

Why do today when you can put off till April 18.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

Whenever I owe, I wait until a few days before the due date to mail the check.

• nbs2 says:

Darn right. Do the preparation ASAP – if refund, submit immediately; if taxes due, submit payment day before deadline. I can’t deficit spend and need the pennies more than Uncle Sam.

• TooManyHobbies says:

When you electronically file, you can specify the date that they do the withdrawal. I get mine done as soon as I have everything ready, usually in February (it’ll be a bit later this year since the IRS won’t have the Schedule A ready until mid-February), and specify “April 15″ as the withdrawal date.

That way I get it out of the way and still don’t pay until due date.

• nbs2 says:

Well, yeah, I used to just set my send date to April 14. I’m always nervous something will go wrong. I’ve had refunds the last two years though (home buyer credit, mortgage deduction), and haven’t gotten the withholding numbers figured out, so I wasn’t sure if the system counted the return as submitted when you submit or when the money is sent.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the info.

5. Tim says:

The only people who observe this holiday are the District government in DC. The federal government, even its operations in DC, don’t observe the holiday.

Why, then, does it push tax day back?

• scoosdad says:

I agree. Here in Massachusetts, when tax day falls on our Patriot’s Day Monday holiday (aka Boston Marathon day), our federal and state taxes are due the following day instead, but the rest of the country still has to have them in on the 15th. Why should this obscure holiday observed only in DC affect the entire country’s filing date?

• scoosdad says:

Should have gone to the IRS site to look:

“R-2011-1, Jan. 4, 2011

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today opened the 2011 tax filing season by announcing that taxpayers have until April 18 to file their tax returns.

Taxpayers will have until Monday, April 18 to file their 2010 tax returns and pay any tax due because Emancipation Day, a holiday observed in the District of Columbia, falls this year on Friday, April 15. By law, District of Columbia holidays impact tax deadlines in the same way that federal holidays do; therefore, all taxpayers will have three extra days to file this year.”

• scoosdad says:

And holy crap! Monday the 18th is Patriots Day in Massachusetts this year, so we get an extra day until Tuesday the 19th. Whoo hoo!

I’m done, I think…..

• ChristopherDavis says:

I don’t think there’s an extra extra day for anyone; looking at the 1040 instructions, no state (including MA) sends returns to Andover. (MA returns, along with many others, go to Kansas City, MO.)

• RandomHookup says:

Actually, the Patriot’s Day Holiday has changed the filing date for anyone who files their returns at the Andover, Mass., processing center. http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=154808,00.html

• scoosdad says:

Correct. I forgot it had more to do with where your return goes, than the state you’re in. Doesn’t matter to me anyway. As soon as I get all my tax documents from banks, employer, etc, mine is as good as filed. No sense in letting Uncle Sam hold onto my money any longer than necessary. I can never figure out why people drag their feet until the last day anyway.

6. obits3 says:

Slave Jim would be proud…

7. The cake is a lie! says:

I have my taxes filed the day I get my W2s. Half my income is W2 and the other half is 1099, so I still have to wait on those pesky forms to arrive before I can do anything. I still have my refund before the 15th of February either way, but I can promise that if i had to pay any taxes I would certainly be waiting till the last minute to send that check off. I want my refund as soon as possible just in case they decide to add it to the national debt and put me on the list of creditors, but if it is my money I have to send to them, then it is going to earn interest for every second it can.

• Bsamm09 says:

If you keep accurate records you don’t have to wait on 1099s. Get QuickBooks. It helps.

• The cake is a lie! says:

I know that, but I wait all the same. It is the W2 that I really wait for. Everything gets done the day those arrive. I can’t put everything into the system online till the 6th, but I’m done and waiting for the W2s so I can hit send.

• human_shield says:

You should have your W2s by February. That’s when I always file. If not you can submit your own W2 using your last 2010 paystub. Personally I worked for a real shady company for a while last year so I fully expect to have to file my own W2.

8. DuckNCover says:

My roommate is an accountant and tax season is her busiest time of the year. She’s not going to be thrilled that her clients get extra time to procrastinate.

9. glp1233 says:

Another wrinkle in filing this year:

From NPR.org:

“Millions of Americans may be forced to wait weeks to file their taxes as the IRS scrambles to accommodate last-minute tax changes enacted by Congress.

The Internal Revenue Service says taxpayers who itemize deductions won’t be able to file until “mid- to late February” while new forms are prepared and software for processing returns is updated”

Full story at: http://tinyurl.com/2vbuzy2

• GrayMatter says:

And I am trying to fill out FAFSA! I might not be able to revise my estimated taxes before my student is actually accepted!!

Ah well, every parent of a HS senior is equally affected. So we will all be using last year’s tax schedule.

10. Consumeristing says:

Being in California means we don’t celebrate holidays like Emancipation Day. No, we get Cesar Chavez Day, which really isn’t a new holiday because it just swaps with Columbus Day.

11. TooManyHobbies says:

Yeah, I submitted a bug report to Google Calendar back in October for this, and they still list April 15, 2011 as tax day.

12. katarzyna says:

Every year I endeavor to get my taxes filed in January. Got a 50% success rate, but they’re always done by the second week in February. That way, when everyone else is flailing around, I already have my refund in the bank.

13. cmdr.sass says:

Taxpayers in the Northeast usually get extra time anyway. Patriot’s Day commemorating the battle of Lexington and Concord falls on April 18th this year, so New England filers have until April 19th. Suck on that everyone else.

• ChristopherDavis says:

Nope. Andover isn’t processing returns any more; ours go to Kansas City (MO) now. No soup free extension for you!

14. SonicPhoenix says:

Meh, still waiting to receive the First Time Home Buyer credit that I filed for in March of last year. It’s awesome waiting 30 days before someone even looks at the documents one sends every time they say, “Whoops, we forgot to ask for that last time, please send it in and we’ll process your return.”

15. AllanG54 says:

Hell…April18th is Patriot’s Day in Massachusetts because that’s the anniversary of Paul Revere’s ride. I think they get to the 19th to file.

16. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

No brainless anti-tax ranting? You guys are slacking.

• obits3 says:

Fair tax, that is all.
      National sales tax!
      Corporate tax shelters!
      Corporations are tax collectors!
      The rent is to damn high!!!!!!!!!!!

• Consumeristing says:

No, we get enough pat brainless one-liners from you. Thank god at least the conservatives have the decency to take the day off.

17. chiieddy says:

Is this every tax office or just the one in DC? We used to occasionally get an extension when Patriot’s Day fell on the 15th and we sent returns to the Andover, MA office…

18. Bsamm09 says:

Always file extension, always pay on April 15th and usually pay more on Oct 15th. I love taxes :(

19. chiieddy says:

Found the IRS press release on this.

20. frak says:

I’ll file as soon as I have everything. Having a kid and a home (loan), I expect about $5k back.

21. HogwartsProfessor says:

I gotta figure out how to do the independent contractor thing for the income from the online writing gig I got. It’s only a tiny bit in 2010. I’m going to have to suck it up and talk to an accountant since I have no idea how this works.

22. Clyde Barrow says:

Thanks TAX CAT!

23. Carlee says:

State returns are still due on April 15th (in California, anyway). I usually file both the fed and state together.