Alaska Airlines Delivers Your Bags In 20 Minutes Or You Get 2,000 Free Miles

Reader Andrew is happy to report that taking advantage of Alaska Airline’s guarantee that you’ll have your bags within 20 minutes of landing is pretty painless. His bags didn’t show up after 35 minutes and when he called in they gave him a choice of two different “we’re sorry” options.

The airline’s website confirms that they have indeed adopted their own version of Domino’s old delivery guarantee. If the airline flubs up in this way they will either give you 2,000 frequent flyer miles or a $20 discount coupon off a future flight.

Just call 800-ALASKA-AIR, press 0 for an agent, be prepared for a couple of transfers on you’re on your way. Nifty policy!

Comments

1. mbgrabbe says:

That’s a cool policy, but the benefit you receive is pretty small. Its equivalent to a company giving you a small-percent off coupon for your next purchase. They may not even lose any money off this little arrangement.. the marginal increase in business could offset the discounting they’re doing.

2. Dover says:

And like Domino’s, they’ll put some pressure on the baggage handlers to speed up unloading, causing them to handle bags with less care.

(Just kidding of course, they couldn’t be any less careful as it is ;-))

3. Dover says:

What’s the third option?

4. shannon says:

It is nice to see that Alaska Airlines is taking responsibility for something. They left me stranded in Cancun a few years ago when a Class 5 hurrcaine was coming and the airport was shut down. They gave no help with new flights out of the city we were being forced to evacuate to. After weeks of asking them to right their wrong, they gave us $50 vouchers for future flights. Their paltry $50 vouchers were a real indication of how they regard their customers.

• minjche says:

The hurricane wasn’t really the airline’s fault. Perhaps their handling of the situation after the hurricane wasn’t good enough, but I myself wouldn’t hold a category 5 hurricane against the airline.

• shannon says:

I don’t blame Alaske Airlines for a Class 5 hurricane – that is ridicules. Is unconscionable that they wouldn’t help us reschedule our flight out of the city we were forcibly evacuated to.

• minjche says:

I don’t understand what you’re saying/typing (sorry, I’m not trying to be offensive). Without more details all I can decipher is that you sound resentful for being moved to a safer place and out of the way of a hurricane.

Personally I’d just be happy to make it out of a category 5 hurricane alive.

• Hoot says:

That’s because they only know how to deal with snow emergencies, not tropical emergencies! Silly.

5. JBlank912 says:

I flew Alaska Airlines once, my luggage was “rolled out” on a cart, split open, the zipper broken and unusable. The airline gave us a ‘loaner luggage” (I do not want to know where it came from) saying they would have it fixed and shipped to our hotel. The next day the luggage was delivered to the hotel, still broken. I told them , they said they would pick it up accept the hotel closed the next day for the season and we left. I finally got a check from them for the broken luggage a month later.

• Hoot says:

That sounds like a whole mess of your fault. Was your luggage old? Packed WAY too full? I’ve traveled a TON, seen people chuck my luggage on the plane, drop it on the tarmac, etc. It has never split open. I have also replaced it when it looks to be getting worn out. Your luggage had to have been pretty shoddy.

• coren says:

their fault for flying, for taking luggage, for buying tickets from Alaska, for not being at work, for going to a hotel that closed so early in the season, being born, etc.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i had an old suitcase die on a trip once and i replaced it while i was traveling. the replacement bag made it home and then two years later went on the only other trip of its life, to europe. where it arrived with the wheels broken and the back support panel for the pull out handle cracked in pieces.
        the same bag made it home due to cable ties, duct tape and a couple of screws because i didn’t have a choice that time.
        but it was a good suitcase that had seen very little use and it was clearly smashed into something in a very rough manner during baggage handling.

• Hoot says:

Oh I’ve had baggage damaged too. Parts dented in, handles ripped, etc. But the ZIPPER SPLIT? That sounds like shoddy or old baggage. If you had baggage that was in relatively good shape, I doubt that a compacter smashing it flat would rip the zipper. The seams would probably go first. And that would probably only happen in an airport with really extreme amounts of pressure – i.e. the airplane backing over it.

I’m just saying that it isn’t the airline’s fault if you choose to bring your stuff in something older and frailer than my great-grandfather.

Everyone blames the company nowadays and tries to get something for their trouble.

• rpm773 says:

There weren’t several 3XL Hawaiian shirts and a Ratt World Tour ’85 T-shirt in there, was there?

Just…um…curious

6. sheriadoc says:

Alaska Airlines once managed to completely rip the pulley handle out of my carry-on. To be fair, it could have been American’s fault since my first leg was with them, and they were the ones that made me check it. But, either way, Alaska was cool about it and told me to buy a carry-on the same price as the one damaged and they’d refund me. And they did just that!

7. AllanG54 says:

The cost to check luggage must be so high that there’s probably not a whole lot of bags to offload to begin with. And…since it’s at least 25,000 miles to get a free flight they’re really not giving a big inconvenience award. Would probably be better to get a voucher for some kind of free food package on the next flight instead of having to pay for it if they indeed charge. Having never flown them I don’t know.

• frozenactivist says:

I’d rather have a certificate for $20 off of a flight than one for a free meal that they charge $6-7 for. But maybe that’s just me.

Also, Alaska lets you redeem 12,500 miles for a domestic one-way, including transcons and flights to Alaska, so 2000 miles isn’t too shabby.

8. frozenactivist says:

You can also swing by the baggage service office on your way out of the airport and pick up a certificate with a code to enter on their website, if you don’t want to mess around with calling them. I almost never check bags, but the one time I did and they arrived more than 20 minutes after departure, they actually gave me two of those certificates :]

9. Scooterman says:

The article is incorrect in regards to claming the miles. According to their website, it says to see an airport agent within 2 hours of the flight’s arrival to receive a certificate. I’m glad to hear they gave you the miles over the phone but I think it’s better to play it safe and follow the rules next time.