Skype Offers $1 Credit Voucher Following Massive Outage

Following last week’s 24-hour crash that left millions of Skype customers searching for landlines, the online phone company is offering some token compensation to those who were inconvenienced.

Reader Marti forwarded us the following e-mail from the CEO of Skype:

To our valued customers:

As 2010 draws to a close, I would like to take a moment to thank each of you for your patience, understanding, and support during Skype’s recent outage.

We know how important your Skype conversations are to you and we take any disruption to our service very seriously. We are pleased to confirm that Skype is back to normal allowing you to connect with friends, co-workers, family and loved ones.

As a valued customer of Skype, we would like to offer you a sincere apology and offer you our gratitude with a credit voucher worth a call of more than 30 minutes to a landline in some of our most popular countries, such as USA, UK, Germany, China, Japan. Or spend it however you like on Skype…

Thank you for allowing us at Skype to be a part of your life. May your holidays and the New Year be a time of joy, peace, and health for you and your family.

Marti says the value of her voucher was $1, which isn’t a ton of cash, ” but in terms of Skype minutes, that’s actually a lot.”

The company’s CIO gives an in-depth explanation of what caused the outage on the official Skype blog.

Has anyone else got this e-mail? And was your voucher for the same amount?

Comments

1. stint7 says:

Now I just need a friend with a land-line that lives in the USA, UK, Germany, China, or Japan.

2. Alvis says:

Pay-per-minute users don’t deserve any vouchers.

• Caffinehog says:

You don’t deserve oxygen.

• Twonkey says:

Alvis’ comment actually makes sense in a way. If someone pays by the minute, then that person really wasn’t out anything during this outage and doesn’t really deserve renumeration. Granted this hypothetical being couldn’t use the service while it was down, but for as much as that sucks, it being down didn’t exactly erode the value of his or her non-existent subscription or anything like that.

3. MamaBug says:

I received this e-mail. I use skype as a backup on my ipod touch when my cell phone goes on the blitz – you can call cell phones too.

4. ndonahue says:

The supernode issue sounds like a similar problem to that which brought down the AT&T network in the US back in the 1990’s. One bad switch upgrade caused it continue to reboot. The additional demand on the other switches caused them to overload and reboot, and the problem cascaded through the entire long-distance network.

5. dush says:

all this time i thought skype was free as long as you had an internet connection

• Amaras says:

it is, as long as your calling another skype account.

• Rachacha says:

Skype is free calling from computer to computer. When you use skype to make or receive calls from a standard telephone (landline or cell phone) you have to pay. Calls on skype to China are 2.3 cents/minute (which is one of the highest rates) so a $1 credit will go far. Monthly accounts for the world are $17/month if you really make a lot of phone calls.

6. HogwartsProfessor says:

I didn’t get one, and I have a calling plan with them. Phooey.

7. Carlee says:

I got the same email. Not sure what the amount was, though, as I haven’t redeemed the credit yet.

I have a Skype account, but rarely ever use it (I used it once, recently, to call my boss who was in Singapore or somewhere). Oh well – at least I’ll have it in my account for if/when I do need to use Skype to call internationally.

• buzz86us says:

yeah Skype must be grasping at straws to keep its current customer base since google took about 80% of their business for calls within us all they have left is international callers.

8. stevied says:

$1 ?

How about a spit in the face instead.

• wootbot says:

A $1 goes a long way on Skype. That’s 50 minutes of calling a U.S. Landline from the U.S., or 30 minutes of calling the UK. That’s a nice gesture from them that was not required because when you use any VOIP service you accept that it’s not going to be 100% all the time.

• anime_runs_my_life says:

$1 was enough for my SIL who lives in Australia to call us for Christmas. So, yeah it IS a big deal.

• apple420 says:

Considering I never once had a need to use Skype during the outage, $1 seems great to me. Maybe people hurt more by the outage can request a bigger credit.

9. kwjayhawk says:

30 min sounds like a lot. So what it’s a buck. Free. And on skype that will go a ways.

10. Keter says:

A “We delivered your purchase” showed up on my Skype account this morning, and when I looked, since I hadn’t ordered anything since renewing my Skype number and unlimited calling plan in October, I found an “Online Number Free Extension” for, get this,

0 Euros. (I pay in U$D)

I’m not sure how long the extension is, and it doesn’t seem to show up anywhere.

For those who whined about getting $1, however, I would like to point out that if Skype advertises up to 23 million users online simultaneously (which means their actual account base is larger than that), so the Skype gave out more than $23 million in service credits. While that didn’t come directly off their bottom line, it will hurt their bottom line over the next year. That’s a pretty big hit, even for a big company.

I use Skype daily, mostly for text chat and maybe one or two voice calls and file transfers, and when it was down, it was a pain, but stuff happens. It’s also a good reminder of why one should not rely on any single method of service delivery and should always have a backup plan ready to go in case of failure of the primary.