Donate To Consumerist And Get A Tax Deduction

Tax Cat here, taking over from my cousin Holiday Cat, to remind you of an important deadline: You have until midnight on Friday to make a donation to Consumerist and use it as a deduction on your 2010 taxes. Consumerist? Tax deduction? That’s right. Consumer Media LLC, a not-for-profit Delaware limited liability corporation, publishes The Consumerist. We’re looking to raise $10,000 in the next few weeks. Help us now, and 2011 will be an even more awesome year for this site. That is why you should give us some money. Also: there are other reasons.

1. We do investigative journalism and get companies to end practices that hurt consumers.

2. We break news about the latest fast-food nightmares, and even get trained taste-testers to try them out for you.

3. We let you choose the Worst Company in America, and then help try to stop the Worst Acquisition in History.

Also good to know: Your donations will be used solely to fund the operations of The Consumerist. Seriously.

Yes, you can continue to enjoy Consumerist without donating. No, we’re not going anywhere. But if you’d like to support the sort of independent work we are doing, and help us expand the site, the best way you can do that is by sending us a few dollars.

Even a buck is appreciated, and you can rest at night knowing that you are helping to exacerbate the existing gastrointestinal issues that currently plague many of our nation’s finest CEOs.

If you’ve already given us money, thank you. We are attempting to send you hugs over the internet, but the science isn’t quite there yet.

DONATE BY TEXT: Just text “Hat” to 20222 to donate $10. A one-time $10.00 donation will be charged to your wireless bill or deducted from your prepaid balance.

Donations collected by the Mobile Giving Foundation. For info call 866-810-1203 or go to www.hMGF.org/t Messaging & Data Rates May Apply. Reply STOP to 20222 to cancel; Reply HELP to 20222 for help.

DONATE ONLINE

Frequently Asked Questions [Consumer Media LLC]

Comments

1. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Some people like reading and learning about consumer issues, but dislike cats (including Tax Cat). I’d support an effort for a “cat block” extension for Firefox and other browsers to help better serve these readers’ needs.

2. joe643 says:

“Your transaction failed: This transaction has been declined.” Anybody else getting this? I verified everything was entered correctly.

3. PLATTWORX says:

Improve site content. Improve story and fact checking. Insure stories posted are true consumer affairs articles and review current staffing. Then, the check is all yours.

• zigzagdance says:

and the commenting system

• PLATTWORX says:

Agreed.

I read the site daily. There are a list of improvements mentioned over and over that are not being made. Also, the lack of editing, correct headlines and flow of stories that just don’t below here is not slowing. I would need to see a stepping up in quality of how the site is run (and runs) to feel comfortable supporting it.

• onesickvdub says:

Amen to that. This site is becoming more and more of a joke. I’ve sent in stories before with actual problems and provided several links showing other people with my problem and all I get is “We’ll look into it”.

However, a story about a man hacking his girlfriend’s computer is on here. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great read… for a site like Gizmodo.com.

I’ve actually considered making my own site that would focus more on the consumer and less on KFC Double Downs and cats. Maybe I’ll just start a subreddit on Reddit.com.

• onesickvdub says:

4. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I will gladly pay you with the raises I received in 2010. and 2009. and 2008.

5. fredbiscotti says:

I wish there was a Tax Dog.

6. LSAX says:

Donate To Consumerist And Get A Tax Deduction (But Only If You Plan To Itemize And Do Not Plan To Take The Standard Deduction Instead).

7. Dan T. says:

If you’re nonprofit, you really ought to be a .org rather than a .com.

8. stevied says:

I do not donate to any charity until I can see the books.

Fortunately my Sec of State feels it is imperative that citizens of my State can evaluate the books of any charity operating in my State.

There is a FINE charity advertising on local TV.

4 out of every 10 dollars are used to pay the administrative salaries of the two employees of the charity.

4 out of every 10 dollars are used to cover advertising costs.

2 out of every 10 dollars is donated direct to another charity.

The Charity raised 1.25 Million last year.

There are two employees of the charity.

Let me guess, the executive director pulls down $400,000 and his wife, the other employee receives $100,000 for her secretarial duties.

BTW, Wikipedia lists their financial report right on their website. It is a good practice for companies who have nothing to hide. Consumer Reports used to publish their data. Where is the financial report of The Consumerist?