Top Posts Of The Week And Open Thread

Diners Ask Restaurant For 47 Separate Checks… And That’s Before They Pulled Out Their Groupons

Doritos Bag Contains Only Three Chips

Call This Radio Shack Salesman On His Crap, And He’ll Call Security On You

Target Cashier Didn’t Charge Me For DVD. Should I Tell Them?

Where Did All The OB Tampons Go?

This week’s alternate Open Thread picture can be seen here.

Comments

1. Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

Happy Holidays Everyone!

2. MaytagRepairman says:

My company has a week long mandatory shutdown. At our staff meeting yesterday we went around the room and discussed our holiday plans. I was surprised at the number of people (including myself) that discussed remodeling projects around the house rather than celebrating the holidays.

3. CrankyOwl says:

So is anybody else at work today besides me? It’s a holiday for our company, but our department works onsite at our client’s office, which is open today. My employer asked for volunteers to work (at time-and-a-half! yay!). Tomorrow I will observe the ancient Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas Day.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I am at work. Rode the bus in today, and I was the absolute only one on it. (Well, the driver was there, of course!) Doing as little as I can get away with. No time off next week, either. But I do celebrate the holiday, so it’s off to Christmas parties as soon as I blow this joint!

• Cyniconvention says:

My mother is…Aafes, on the Air Force bases, you know? She gets off at 6, hopefully.

• Kuchen says:

I work night shift all weekend! But I’m a nurse…so working holidays is just part of the deal.

• DJ Charlie says:

Yep. On monitor duty here at the station, and doing a show at 7. But it’s worth it. Lets me give all the DJs Christmas off. :)

• RandomHookup says:

If you work on Christmas, you are either newish or Jewish.

• CrankyOwl says:

2 coworkers just got into a fight over a gourmet food basket one of them got from a vendor. Luckily the office is mostly deserted so nobody heard them, except me, and I pretended like I didn’t. the person who got the gift plans to take it home for a party she’s throwing. The other person bitched about how she works with this vendor too & “how dare you take it all for yourself!” Awk-ward.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

That’s awesome ! I didn’t see this on Friday, but it’s much the same here. Not down to fighting, but certain people getting vendor goodies and taking them home or not sharing when they’re obviously meant for the whole office.

I am a person that receives vendor gifts, and I share. Not someone whose nose is out of joint because I got left out. It just ticks me off when others don’t share with the staff.

4. JulesNoctambule says:

We’re supposed to have snow tomorrow! Depending on the amount, the spouse might be getting an extra day off this weekend — now that’s an unexpected gift.

All my shopping is done and the presents wrapped, with the exception of the things I ordered on Etsy in November that still haven’t shipped; no word from the seller, either. Not cool. Fortunately, I got backups for that particular recipient.

We did my favourite part of Christmas earlier this week: seven bags of clothes, three of food, two of toiletries and a box of toys and books to a local shelter. We did it with the help of coupons (coupon + store sale often = free item) and a favourite thrift store — they have a frequent buyer card where you get a punch for every $15 purchase, and when the card is full, you get a $25 credit. Took me a while to fill it (they have nice things, but real thrift prices), but when I had I took it in on the day when clothes are on sale half off and filled up a cart with all different sizes. The spouse and I aren’t covered in money, but we have what we need and so many others have so much less that it only makes sense to me to help when we can.

5. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

My family’s antics have finally gotten the best of me. We’re basically an episode of Cops/Jerry Springer waiting to happen. My husband will be deployed next Christmas, so I’m planning on “celebrating” in Vegas with strippers. Anyone else?

6. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Thank you for taking my request for more cats under consideration!

7. Cyniconvention says:

Trying to get tickets to The Lion King for New Year’s next Friday…Does anyone know what the cheapest seats might be, be they balcony, orchestra pit, ect?

8. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Well, I finally finished my Christmas card for this year:

After a little mishap where I forgot to bump up the resolution at the beginning, I almost had to redo the card all over, but luckily I saved a “project file” in full GIMP format. I also had the first batch botched by Staples, but they fixed their mistake and printed & cut me a new batch in 30 minutes, so I was able to mail out cards to everyone who requested one from me, and also to everyone on my usual list. I also attached some to my bottles of holiday wine that I give out: http://twitpic.com/3im1h5 On the back of those cards, there is a little sticker that has a code that corresponds to a prize in my Santa Sack, which this year includes the following gifts all acquired from woot! in either Random BOC’s or shirt.woot!’s random shirt sales: http://twitpic.com/3im2bz

Other than that, I just want to wish all my fellow Consumerist friends a Happy Holiday season and hope everyone is happy and safe!

• Slave For Turtles says:

Awesome pic! :D

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

it looks good on my fridge next to last year’s. but the way you addressed it…. leaves something to be desired

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

You mean the typewriter? Or the return label? I was in a hurry because I slacked this year.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

the connotation of the way you shortened my name. hehe. here’s hoping my postal carrier doesn’t have any idea what ‘cat girl’ could mean instead of being short for ‘catastrophegirl’

9. segfault, registered cat offender says:

The cat looks like it wants to kill the photographer. I think some obedience training is in order.

10. ArcanaJ says:

To one and all, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Festive Solsctice, Joyous Kwanzaa and may your New Year not suck.

11. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Posts are slow today. Is today the Consumerist office party and everyone’s drunk?